Magnemite (Analysis)

QC 2/2 [x] [x]
GP 2/2 [x] [x]
DONE

Magnemite

- - - - -

[Overview]

<p>Not too much has changed for this little magnet; it remains the best Steel trapper in Little Cup and has great Special Attack. However, Magnemite has lost a few things. Firstly, with the popularity of Eviolite rising every day, Magnemite has trouble finding itself safe in this metagame. Magnemite has also lost effectiveness on one of its greatest weapons, Explosion, and has trouble staying alive with so many Fighting-types such as Timburr and Scraggy roaming around in Little Cup. Despite all these losses, however, Magnemite still remains a huge powerhouse and has the ability to take down even the bulkiest of Steel-types. If your team has trouble with Steel-types, look no further than Magnemite!</p>

[SET]

name: Steel Trapper
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Substitute
move 3: Hidden Power Fire
move 4: Flash Cannon / Magnet Rise
item: Life Orb / Oran Berry
nature: Modest
ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 240 SpA / 240 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Magnemite runs a very effective Steel Trapper set. Magnet Pull negates any opposing Steel-type's ability to switch out, allowing Magnemite to abuse Substitute and Magnet Rise. Magnemite sports a good Defense stat, being able to take repeated hits from any Steel-type, and can 2HKO most of them with Thunderbolt. Hidden Power Fire melts Ferroseed with a single hit, and also hits any Grass-type switching into Thunderbolt. Substitute allows Magnemite to set up on Steel-types locked into a resisted move, while also providing a cushion of protection from priority attacks and status moves. Magnet Rise grants immunity to Ground-type attacks, allowing Magnemite to set up on the handful of Steel-types that carry Earthquake. Magnemite also does a superb job of removing bulky Water-types such as Frillish.</p>

<p>Pokemon that appreciate the removal of Steel-types are generally the best partners for Magnemite. If Magnemite fears Onix, it can also use Flash Cannon as secondary STAB in place of Magnet Rise, as Rock / Ground-types wall Magnemite.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Hidden Power Ground is usually inferior to Hidden Power Fire as the latter is the only Hidden Power capable of beating Ferroseed and Bronzor. However, if Magnemite chooses to run Hidden Power Ground to hit opposing Magnemite harder, the most efficient EV spread would be 76 HP / 40 Def / 236 SpA / 156 Spe. With 19 HP, Life Orb's damage (which is essentially 1.9) will become 1 as it rounds down to a whole number. Oran Berry is another viable item since residual damage can easily build up. However, be aware that without Life Orb, Magnemite has no chance to the OHKO standard Ferroseed with Hidden Power Fire. Charge Beam can also be used over Thunderbolt as it allows Magnemite to set up on the plethora of Steel-types that can't touch it after Magnet Rise. Also note that neutral Thunderbolt is stronger than super effective Hidden Power Fire.</p>

[SET]

name: Choice Scarf
move 2: Flash Cannon
move 4: Volt Switch
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Modest / Timid
EVs: 240 SpA / 236 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>This set uses a Choice Scarf to remedy Magnemite's below average Speed; even with the loss in power, Magnemite is still strong enough to hold its ground. Magnemite is useful to beat Steel-types, and the extra Speed it gains from this set helps it revenge kill faster ones such as Pawniard. Volt Switch is a reliable scouting move and even deals great damage, just beware of Ground-types switching in and getting a free turn to attack or set up.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Modest is the recommended nature as Magnemite only needs 14 Speed to outrun 19 Speed Pokemon. Magnemite still has access to Explosion, but it no longer halves Defense, making Volt Switch the superior option. Volt Switch is Magnemite's only new toy, though it is quite useful for scouting, or just doing some damage when Magnemite need to escape; it's also Magnemite's only way to escape opposing Magnemite. Ponyta is a good teammate as it can switch into Fire-types attacks with impunity, thanks to Flash Fire, and take down Ferroseed. Ponyta also appreciates the removal of bulky Water-types and has passable offensive synergy with Magnemite.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Life Orb can be used instead of Choice Scarf on the first set with a Timid nature, turning Magnemite into a decent all-out attacker. Explosion might be useful in place of Volt Switch, but it no longer halves Defense, so a STAB scouting move is generally superior. Thunder is extremely powerful, but is too inaccurate to be Magnemite's only STAB attack. Hidden Power Fighting is another option for hitting Steel-types, but is inferior to Hidden Power Fire as Magnemite loses even more IVs and is unable to hit Ferroseed hard enough.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>As long as Magnet Rise isn't in effect, Ground-types can tear Magnemite apart with Earthquake. If Magnemite has Choice Scarf, Trapinch and Diglett can both switch into Volt Switch or Thunderbolt and set up on or KO Magnemite as it will be locked into its attack and trapped. Dragon-types such as Dratini and Bagon resist Thunderbolt and have access to Dragon Dance to raise their stats. Barboach, Onix, Gible, Rhyhorn, and Geodude all resist the attacking combination of Thunderbolt and Hidden Power Fire and can KO Magnemite with STAB Earthquake. Barboach completely walls the Choice Scarf set and can set up using Dragon Dance, forcing Magnemite to switch. Munchlax can take any hit Magnemite has to offer and hit back with Earthquake.</p>

[Dream World]

<p>Magnemite gets Analyze as a Dream World ability, which powers up its attacks if it moves last. With a hindering nature and 0 Speed IVs, Magnemite may abuse its STAB Gyro Ball with an Analyze boost. With Zoom Lens, the accuracy of Magnemite's moves will be boosted by 20% if it moves last. This gives Thunder 84% accuracy, and with the Analyze boost, it will be extremely powerful, especially with a boosting nature.</p>

Where's Charge Beam? It can easily get to +6 Tesshildo or other choiced Magnemite, Sub down to Salac, and rape.

It at least deserves a mention.

<p>Magnemite fits well on any team that needs Steel-type Pokemon out of the way. Zigzagoon is a good candidate, is it rips teams to shreds with the absence of Steel-types. Gligar loves having Tesshiido and Bronzor out of its way, and Gligar and Magnemite resist many of each other's weaknesses. Mantyke and Magnemite resist all of each other's weaknesses, and Mantyke would love Steel-types out of the way to Toxic freely. Dratini and Bagon have a field day without Steels, and ran take down Fire-types, which trouble Magnemite. On the Choice Scarf set, Wynaut can easily remove Diglett and Trapinch without Counter. Snover hates loves Steel-types out of the way, as they resist both of his STAB attacks, and can remove Gligar, who will otherwise come in on Electric attacks and set up whatever it pleases.</p>
Zigzagoon isn't really that great without Gluttony.

Should try a dragon-type like Kibago or Dratini. They can really wreck stuff when nothign resists their +1 STAB Outrages.

Also, should probably mention some teammates that beat Munchlax (Misdreavus and Fighting-types), because with Explosion nerfed, you're not touching it.

Where's Charge Beam? It can easily get to +6 Tesshildo or other choiced Magnemite, Sub down to Salac, and rape.

Oh yeah, forgot about that. I'll mention it in the AC, but I don't really think it deserves its own set since so many scarfers outspeed and kill it

It at least deserves a mention.

[box]<p>Magnemite fits well on any team that needs Steel-type Pokemon out of the way. Zigzagoon is a good candidate, is it rips teams to shreds with the absence of Steel-types. Gligar loves having Tesshiido and Bronzor out of its way, and Gligar and Magnemite resist many of each other's weaknesses. Mantyke and Magnemite resist all of each other's weaknesses, and Mantyke would love Steel-types out of the way to Toxic freely. Dratini and Bagon have a field day without Steels, and ran take down Fire-types, which trouble Magnemite. On the Choice Scarf set, Wynaut can easily remove Diglett and Trapinch without Counter. Snover hates loves Steel-types out of the way, as they resist both of his STAB attacks, and can remove Gligar, who will otherwise come in on Electric attacks and set up whatever it pleases.</p>[box]

Oops. I was probably originally trying to say "Snover hates Steel-types" but then rephrazed it. Will fix; thanks.

Zigzagoon isn't really that great without Gluttony.

Should try a dragon-type like Kibago or Dratini. They can really wreck stuff when nothign resists their +1 STAB Outrages.

Good idea, I'll mention those too.

Also, should probably mention some teammates that beat Munchlax (Misdreavus and Fighting-types), because with Explosion nerfed, you're not touching it.

Will mention that. Thanks overall!

Great. Now I feel like an idiot.

<p>Magnemite fits well on any team that needs Steel-type Pokemon out of the way. Gligar loves having Tesshiido and Bronzor out of its way, and Gligar and Magnemite resist many of each other's weaknesses. Mantyke and Magnemite resist all of each other's weaknesses, and Mantyke would love Steel-types out of the way to Toxic freely. Dratini and Bagon have a field day without Steels, and ran take down Fire-types, which trouble Magnemite. On the Choice Scarf set, Wynaut can easily remove Diglett and Trapinch without Counter. Snover loves Steel-types out of the way, as they resist both of his STAB attacks, and can remove Gligar, who will otherwise come in on Electric attacks and set up whatever it pleases. Dragon-types, such a Dratini and Kibago, hate Steel-types and can easily sweep for effectively without them. Magnemmite does a good job of taking them down. Munchlax poses a threat for Magnemite with Explosion not doing much to it anymore; Meditite can easily remove Munchlax from the game with its powerful Fighting attacks, and Meditite also does a stellar job of removing Gligar with Ice Punch.</p>

It's fine, I didn't even remember mentioning them before. I'll take out the double mention and just add Kibago to the first part, then fix the spelling error on Magnemite.

or not cause I just deleted that part. You can probably tell I woke up 30 minutes ago...

I want to back up the Charge-Beam set. It's VERY effective and hits 22 Speed with Salac and Timid nature, which is a solid number. Not only that, but it resists Fake Out, Quick Attack and Extremespeed, which is awesome.

Also, Signal Beam might deserve mention in the CS set. It hits Abra and Yuniran, plus stuff like Houndour.

EDIT: DERP on the Houndour idea. But Signal Beam is your only way of hitting Chinchou. Still, I'd never use it. Volt Change is better.

I mentioned Charge Beam, but I don't really think it has the potential to do much. Add Substitute to set up on status and things and add Magnet Rise so the ever-so-common Gligar who is on more than 40% of LC Wifi teams doesn't flat out beat you, then add Charge Beam. That's already three moveslots. Now, you can either add a move that does real damage (Thunderbolt) and have mono-type attacking syndrome, or you can add a coverage move and be extremely weak. Factor in the fact that Charge Beam only raises Special Attack 63% of the time and you have an inefficient set on your hands.

Signal Beam has 75 base power, meaning it will do 150 damage to Abra and Yuniran. Thunderbolt does 142.5, which is good enough IMO. Plus, Houndour is only hit neutrally by Signal Beam and will just melt you before you attack anyway.

The Chargebeam set I was thinking of was:

Magnezone w/Salac Berry
max SpA/max SpE
Timid/Modest
Thunderbolt
HP Ice/Fire
Charge Beam
Sub

Once you sub down to Salac berry activation, you outspeed Gligar and KO with HP Ice. It gets lots of opportunities to set up on stuff like Tesshido, Choiced Komatana, or even on other non-Steels that switch out. Any Choiced Pokemon with an attack Magnemite resists lets you set up, and you can get a sweep from there. I've played with it, and it's definitely legit.

The Chargebeam set I was thinking of was:

Magnezone w/Salac Berry
max SpA/max SpE
Timid/Modest
Thunderbolt
HP Ice/Fire
Charge Beam
Sub

Once you sub down to Salac berry activation, you outspeed Gligar and KO with HP Ice. It gets lots of opportunities to set up on stuff like Tesshido, Choiced Komatana, or even on other non-Steels that switch out. Any Choiced Pokemon with an attack Magnemite resists lets you set up, and you can get a sweep from there. I've played with it, and it's definitely legit.
Now that I think of it, it actually seems viable. The problem is stuff like Bronzor carry Earthquake and you don't have Magnet Rise. This is why I really don't think it deserves its own set.

-Charmander- said:
I mentioned Charge Beam, but I don't really think it has the potential to do much. Add Substitute to set up on status and things and add Magnet Rise so the ever-so-common Gligar who is on more than 40% of LC Wifi teams doesn't flat out beat you, then add Charge Beam. That's already three moveslots. Now, you can either add a move that does real damage (Thunderbolt) and have mono-type attacking syndrome, or you can add a coverage move and be extremely weak. Factor in the fact that Charge Beam only raises Special Attack 63% of the time and you have an inefficient set on your hands.
I think the best thing to do is wait for QC input on that.

However, be aware that without Oran Berry, you have no chance to OHKO standard 84/148 +ve Tesshiido
Not quite sure what that means? Did you mean Life Orb instead of Oran Berry? also whats +ve ?_?

anyways everything else looks fine.

though as a note thunderbolt hits bronzor harder than hp fire

This is from my iPod so I'll be challenged to type this
Yeah I meant lo and I have no idea what I meant by +ve, probably +nature.
And yeah 142.5 vs 140 or something. Although I'd really like to know what qc thinks about the charge beam thing

Looks good. Just slash Modest into the Choice Scarf set - it's worth the extra damage spreading with Volt Change.

Alright, cool. Actually now that I think of it Modest should be the main slash because all Magnemite needs is 14 speed, and 20 SpA is just awesome.

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
I'd probably slash Hidden Power Ice next to Fire in the Steel-trapper set, to get rid of Gligar and such. Also, I'd probably run a simple max SAtk / max Spd Spread, not sure what the point of 36 Def EVs is.

Timid should be main slash on the Scarf set for sure, so you can outspeed 14 Speed Zuruggu at +1, as well as every other Scarfer that chooses to only hit 21.

About Charge Beam, not worthy of a set, tbh. Too much Fighting priority in the metagame right now, thanks to Zuruggu.

I'll AC mention HP Ice, but then you have no way to beat Tesshiido, the most common steel. SpA and Spe are maxed, there was some leftover so I just put it into defense to keep that 19 speed stat. And alright, I'll change to timid.

I talked to bugmaniacbob about changing the names in the OU thread, and he said it's better to wait until the last minute as people know the Pokemon as Kibago right now. I'm going to do this with Little Cup too if it's all the same. Thanks for your help though!

I totally agree that iPod keyboards suck. You think something in your head then you type something that doesn't make sense, it sucks. Well anyway, thanks, this is now done :D (for now)

kokoloko

what matters is our plan!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
This is the spread you have now:

EVs: 36 Def / 160 SpA / 240 Spe

160 SAtk is not maxed out =O

Komodo

Huff
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
~GP check 1/2~

[Overview]
<p>Not too much has changed for this little magnet; he remains the best Steel trapper in Little Cup and still has great Special Attack. However, Magnemite has lost a few things;(semi colon) firstly, with the popularity of Evolution Stone Gligar rising every day, Magnemite has trouble finding itself safe in this metagame. Magnemite has also lost effectiveness on one of its greatest weapons, Explosion, and has trouble staying alive with so many new Fighting-types, such as Meditite, Dokkora,(comma) and Zuruggu. Despite all these losses, though, Magnemite still remains a huge powerhouse and has the ability to power to take down even the bulkiest of Steel-types. If your team has trouble with Steel-types, look no further than Magnemite!</p>

[Set]
move 2: Substitute
move 4: Magnet Rise / Flash Cannon
item: Life Orb / Oran Berry
nature: Modest
EVs: 240 SpA / 240 Spe

[Set Comments]
<p>As always, Magnemite runs a very effective Steel Trapper set. Magnemite's ability, Magnet Pull, negates any opposing Steel-types ability to switch out. This,(comma) allowing means Magnemite to can abuse Substitute and Magnet Rise to trap and kill any Steel-type necessary. Magnemite sports a good Defense stat, being able to take repeated hits beating from any Steel-type, and can 2HKO most Steel-types of them with Thunderbolt. Hidden Power Fire melts Tesshiido with a single hit, and it also hits any Grass-type expecting switching into Thunderbolt instead. Substitute allows Magnemite to set up on Steel-types locked into a Steel resisted move, as Magnemite takes pathetic damage from any Steel move, and have a it provides a cushion of protection from priority and status to take a free hit. Magnet Rise grants an immunity to Ground-type attacks, allowing Magnemite to set up on the handful of Steel-types that carry Earthquake. Magnemite also does a superb job of removing bulky Water-types, such as Pururiru, from the game.</p>

<p>Pokemon that appreciate the removal of Steel-types are generally the best partners Pokemon to pair Magnemite with. Gligar also is a good choice as it resists many of Magnemite's weaknesses,(comma) and can remove Ground-types easily from the game with Aqua Tail. Gligar also wants Tesshiido out of the way, which Magnemite can accomplish is made to make happen. If you fear Gligar, you can always use Hidden Power Ice, just make sure you have a strong Fire-type on your team. If you fear Onix, you can also use Flash Cannon as a secondary STAB in place of Magnet Rise, as Rock / Ground-types wall Magnemite.</p>

[Additional Comments]

<p>Hidden Power Ground is usually inferior to Hidden Power Fire, as it's the only Hidden Power capable of beating Tesshiido and Bronzor. However, if you choose to run Hidden Power Ground to hit opposing Magnemite harder, the most efficient EV spread would be 76 HP / 40 Def / 236 SpA / 156 Spe. With 19 HP, Life Orb's damage, (which is essentially 1.9), will become 1 as it rounds down to a whole number,(comma) this means Magnemite gets to attack with Life Orb 19 times before knocking itself out, assuming no other damage is taken. Oran Berry is another viable item, as residual damage can build up. However, be aware that without Life Orb, Magnemite you has no chance to OHKO standard 84 / 148 positive nature Tesshiido. Charge Beam can also be used over Thunderbolt, as it allows Magnemite to set up on the plethora of Steel-types that can't touch it after a Magnet Rise. Also note that neutral Thunderbolt is stronger than super effective Hidden Power Fire. Hidden Power Ice can be used to hit Gligar harder.</p> 84 / 148 what? Specify the stats please.

[Set]
name: Choice Scarf
move 2: Flash Cannon
move 3: Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Fire
move 4: Volt Change
item: Choice Scarf
nature: Timid / Modest
EVs: 240 SpA / 236 Spe

[Set Comments]
<p>This set uses a Choice Scarf to remedy Magnemite's below average Speed;(semi colon) However, even with the loss in power, Magnemite is still strong enough to hold its ground. Magnemite is still useful to beat Steel-types, and the extra Speed now can helps revenge kill faster ones, like such as Komatana, or just revenge kill any threat needed. Hidden Power Ice is recommended over Hidden Power Fire, as Thunderbolt generally does more damage, but Hidden Power Fire can still be used to roast Tesshiido. Hidden Power Ice can take down Grass-types and Gligar very well, and even has a 9% chance to OHKO max HP Gligar with Evolution Stone, and a which becomes 93% chance after Stealth Rock damage. Volt Change is a reliable scouting move and even deals great damage, but just beware of Ground-types switching in. Magnemite still does well with any Pokemon in need of Steel-types out of the way.</p>

[Additional Comments]
<p>Modest is the recommended nature as 14 Speed is all Magnemite only needs 14 Speed to outrun 19 Speed Murkrow and other Pokemon at the same tier with 19 Speed. Gligar can come in on switch into Thunderbolt and Volt Change, then proceed to set up or attackand set up Swords Dance, Substitute, Rock Polish, Stealth Rock or just attack. Magnemite still has access to Explosion, but as Explosion it no longer halves Defense, making Volt Change is usually the superior option. Volt Change is really Magnemite's only new toy,(comma) but can be though it is quite useful to scout,(comma) or just do some damage when you need to escape;(semi colon) it's also Magnemite's only way to escape opposing Magnemite. Ponyta is a good teammate as it can switch into Fire attacks with immunity, thanks to with Flash Fire,(comma) and take down Tesshiido. Ponyta also really appreciates the removal of bulky Waters out of the way and has passable offensive synergy with Magnemite.</p>

[Team Options]
<p>Magnemite fits well is ideal on a team that needs Steel-type Pokemon out of the way. Gligar loves having Tesshiido and Bronzor out of its way, and shares great defensive synergy with Magnemite Gligar and Magnemite resist many of each other's weaknesses. Mantyke and Magnemite resist all of each other's weaknesses, and Mantyke would love Steel-types out of the way to abuse Toxic freely. Dratini, Bagon,(comma) and Kibago have a field day without Steel-types, and ran have the ability to take down out Fire-types, which who trouble Magnemite. On the Choice Scarf set, Wynaut can easily remove Diglett and Trapinch without Counter. Snover loves the removal of Steel-types out of the way, as they resist both of its STAB attacks, and it can remove Gligar, who will otherwise come in on switch into Electric attacks and set up whatever it pleases. Munchlax poses a threat for to Magnemite,(comma) with Explosion not isn't doing much to it anymore; Meditite can easily remove Munchlax from the game with its powerful Fighting attacks, and Meditite also does a stellar job of removing Gligar with Ice Punch.</p>

[Optional Changes]
<p>Using Life Orb can be used on the instead of Choice Scarf on the first set, can make turning Magnemite into a decent "All Out Attacker" attempt. Explosion might be useful in place of Volt Change, but it no longer halves Defense so a STAB scouting move is generally superior. Thunder is extremely powerful and destructive, but is too inaccurate to be your only STAB attack and usually unreliable. Hidden Power Fighting is another option to hit Steel-types, but is inferior to Hidden Power Fire thanks to the as you lose even more IVs you lose and the inability to hit Tesshiido hard enough. Hidden Power Ice is always a welcome idea if you have a strong Fire-type on your team to dispose of Tesshiido, who is arguably the most common Steel-type in today's metagame.</p>

[Counters]
<p>As long as Magnet Rise isn't in effect, Gligar can rip tear Magnemite apart with Earthquake. If Magnemite has Choice Scarf, Trapinch and Diglett can both come in on switch into Volt Change or Thunderbolt and set up on Magnemite. Dragon-types, such as Dratini and Bagon, resist Thunderbolt and Hidden Power Fire,(comma) and can set up while they have access to Dragon Dance to raise their stats. Barboach, Onix, Gible, Rhyhorn,(comma) and Geodude all resist the attacking combination of Thunderbolt and Hidden Power Fire and can all KO Magnemite with STAB Earthquake. Barboach completely walls the Choice Scarf set and can set up Dragon Dance on while Magnemite is forced to switch. Munchlax can take any hit Magnemite has to offer and hit back with Earthquake.</p>

[Dream World]
<p>Magnemite gets Analyze as a Dream World ability, which powers up its attacks if it moves last. With a hindering a nature and 0 Speed IVs, Magnemite might be able to make use of may abuse its STAB Gyro Ball with an Analyze boost. With a Zoom Lens, any of the accuracy of Magnemite's movesthat go last will have their accuracy will be boosted by 20% if it moves last. This means gives Thunder will have 84% accuracy, and with the Analyze boost, it will be extremely powerful, especially with 20 Special Attack.</p>

Red is removal
Blue is an edit, or an addition
Green is comments

There were a lot of shaky sentences here, I tried to shorten some run on sentences, and remove any repetition or un-needed info. With all these changes made, approved.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)