RU Magneton

Overview
########

Magneton has managed to carve itself a solid niche in the RU metagame, albeit a bit of a different niche than it had in the past. While in previous generations Magneton was primarily used as a trapper, in XY RU its main use is as one of the most threatening wallbreakers in the tier. Thanks to its huge Special Attack stat, great STAB combination, and access to STAB Volt Switch, Magneton's Choice Specs set is fantastic at wallbreaking and keeping up momentum. Magneton can also utilize its wonderful defensive typing and good bulk with a solid Eviolite set. However, while its typing grants it the most resistances of any type combination in the game, it also gives it debilitating weaknesses to three of the most common attacking types in RU in Ground, Fighting, and Fire. Magneton is also held back by its mediocre Speed, which leaves it outsped by most offensive threats. Despite this, Magneton remains a solid choice for an RU team that is sure to pull its weight in battle.

Choice Specs
########
name: Choice Specs
move 1: Volt Switch
move 2: Thunderbolt
move 3: Flash Cannon
move 4: Hidden Power Grass
ability: Analytic
item: Choice Specs
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Modest

Moves
========

Volt Switch gains momentum while dealing quite a bit of damage to anything that doesn't resist it, while Thunderbolt is Magneton's strongest attack against neutral targets. Flash Cannon hits many of the Ground-types that attempt switching into Magneton to block Volt Switch, particularly Rhyperior, and Hidden Power Grass, while situational, nails Seismitoad and the uncommon Gastrodon.

Set Details
========

The given EVs are standard for an offensive Pokemon, with Modest as the preferred nature since Timid Magneton does not outspeed anything significant that Modest Magneton does not. Analytic grants Magneton a huge boost in power when the opponent switches, further enhancing its already great wallbreaking potential; Choice Specs increases Magneton's damage output even further.

Usage Tips
========

Early- to mid-game, Magneton should break down walls to open up holes for other Pokemon. Magneton should switch in on defensive Pokemon that can't do much damage to it such as Aromatisse or Alomomola, though it should be wary of potential Scald burns. Volt Switch is generally Magneton's safest move to use in most situations, though Pokemon that are immune to it can cause a bit of trouble.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that appreciate the opposing team being worn down, particularly frail cleaners such as Sharpedo and Fletchinder, benefit from Magneton as a teammate. Entry hazard support is useful with any wallbreaker, and Magneton is no exception, especially since Volt Switch allows it to wear its counters down more quickly. Examples of good Spikes users for offensive teams include Omastar and Accelgor. Dugtrio is helpful as a partner to remove Registeel and weakened Rhyperior, letting Magneton freely spam Volt Switch.

Other Options
########

Choice Scarf is a good option for Magneton, but it isn't that strong and faces competition from other Electric-types, including Jolteon and Choice Scarf Rotom-C. While Magneton may seem like a good trapper with Magnet Pull, almost all relevant Steel-types in RU can either easily KO Magneton before it KOes them, outright wall it, or even switch out, making Magneton an ineffective trapper, especially in comparison to Dugtrio. Life Orb is a decent item on Magneton, but it compromises Magneton's decent bulk quite a bit. Magnet Rise is usable on the Eviolite set in order to deal with Gligar and Rhyperior rather well. Finally, Magneton can run various other Hidden Power types: Hidden Power Ground for Jolteon and opposing Magneton, Hidden Power Fire for Escavalier, or Hidden Power Ice for Gligar. However, these Pokemon are all 2HKOed or 3HKOed by Magneton's STAB moves, so these moves aren't very useful overall.

Checks & Counters
########

**Ground-Types**: As they are immune to its Volt Switch, Ground-types such as Gligar, Seismitoad, and Rhyperior are good answers to Magneton. However, the latter two are OHKOed by Hidden Power Grass and Flash Cannon, respectively, so they must be wary when switching in. Dugtrio deserves a special mention for its ability to trap Magneton.

**Registeel**: Registeel shrugs off Magneton's attacks thanks to its absurd special bulk and also can 3HKO Magneton with Seismic Toss.

**Bulky Electric-types**: Bulky Electric-types, such as Lanturn and Assault Vest Eelektross take little damage from any of Magneton's moves thanks to their typing and bulk.

**Faster Fire- and Fighting-types**: While they can't switch in safely, Pokemon such as Moltres, Cobalion, and Hitmonlee can easily make quick work of Magneton with their STAB moves.

Last edited:
Choice (Note that this will probably be separated into multiple sets based on ability / item since they play so differently, but i'm keeping them like this for now)
Even disregarding the fact that they are completely different you still need to separate them anyway - choice sets should never be combined.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Personally i'd like to bring up Eviolite getting a full set again. It might not have the *same* raw power as Choice Specs Magneton (although Analytic boosted Thunderbolts/Volt Switches are still pretty strong), but it has two things over Choice Specs Magneton that i think make it worth a set: bulk and the ability to switch moves.

Magneton's typing is absolutely excellent, providing it with all kinds of handy resistances and immunities for it to switch into, but without Eviolite Magneton's actual defensive stats kinda fall short: 50/95/70 is alright, but nothing special, and i've actually found Choice Specs Magneton to be a *little* squishy. With Eviolite equipped though, both of Magneton's defenses get a significant buff (of course), and it can take full advantage of that excellent typing much more effectively than it could before, the defensive buffs also makes sure that Magneton doesn't get worn down nearly as quickly by repeatedly switching into weaker attacks such as Aromatisse's Moonblast.

As for switching moves, Magneton's attacks might be exceptionally powerful, but i've found that the inability to switch moves with Choice Specs can be annoying at times. If you mispredict with Choice Specs Magneton you can end up in a world of pain (using Flash Cannon as Slowking comes in, Volt Switching or Thunderbolting as Rhyperior comes in although you probably shouldn't be considering that in the first place, speaking of that Pokemon that can take Earthquakes just in case you mispredict like that should probably be mentioned in Choice Specs Magneton's team options). By virtue of not holding a choice item Eviolite Magneton never runs into this problem, and furthermore can actually take advantage of it by bluffing Choice Specs.

So thoughts on readding Eviolite?

I support Eviolite, it gives Magneton far more bulk and as Molk mentioned with that excellent typing it can actually be nuisance teams as well as bluffing a Choice item.

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Steel Trapper set could work for bottom-end OO to catch Doublade/Registeel off guard or something

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
doublade is immune to trapping and magneton is walled by registeel, not to mention the fact that dugtrio exists
completely forgot about the new trapping mechanics. it sounds kinda stupid now that i think about it.

Molk

Godlike Usmash
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Lanturn should have a mention in checks and counters, other than no Eviolite set (being written up seperately, this looks fine to me.

QC Approved 2/3

Pearl

Romance は風のまま
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis the 7th Grand Slam Winneris a Past SPL Champion
magnemite n______n

pretty solid write up content wise, but i'd make some changes still:

if hp ground's got an OO mention, i'd probably throw one to fire (and ice to an extend) too. it's just that your 4th slot on magneton isn't really that relevant, since even gastro and seismitoad aren't too common, so you can throw those moves in if your team really needs them desperately. i'd also mention magnet rise on eviolite sets (eviolite for this is already written as you probably know already), so it can withstand gligar, rhyperior and possibly some other stuff.

Pokemon that have trouble with bulky Water-types such as Slowking and Alomomola, including Rhyperior, Moltres, and Delphox, benefit from Magneton as a teammate.
this quote is true, but i feel that in practice, it's a lot less simple than that. it requires prediction to get into a favorable situation such as the one mentioned (when magneton gets in safely against the water-type), and directly switching magneton in can risk you either getting burned by scald or nuked by slowking's fire blast. i'd probably replace that sentence by mentioning how fast mons which can clean (sharpedo, fletchinder) really benefit from magneton's wallbreaking power, but it's subjective i guess

qc 3/3

Weebl

Hey!
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
This is a minor thing, but you spelled 'bit' as 'but' under moves.

"Volt Switch gets momentum while dealing quite a but of damage..."

tehy

Banned deucer.
Amcheck

Very few mistakes and small comments only (still read them though!)

Loving the registeel sentence (can't it ohko w/eq also?

Comments:

Considering the tale of two analyses, is it worth inserting "in XY RU its main use is as one of the most threatening wallbreakers (and pivots) in the tier. " , without the parentheses,?

I'm not sure if my change fully conveys what you meant to say (maybe say very situational), but i felt you took a few too many words to say it.

I'm not a big fan of switching in on alomo or aroma, since the twain nearly always have protect. Once they know your move, you probably won't accomplish much. If you do wish to mention them, perhaps make note that, similarly to alomo's scald, aroma's moonblast can drop your SpA (30%), which is never fun.

I prefer just saying dou can switch out, since it means the same thing.

Worth noting hp fire for ferroseed and to an extent steelix. Also, include those two in checks and counters- they both wall you p.hard, lix may wall you harder than any ru mon with elec immune.

On the same note, if magnet pull at all, i say only with hp fire. Lets you trap ferro, somewhat escav, which is at least a niche dugtrio doesn't outclass the fuck out of you at.

I dislike how ground checks and counters is written, since rhyperior dies to either. Yes, i know you wouldn't bother to hit him with hp grass, but it still koes. So i'd say that rhyp dies to both and seismi dies to hp grass, lengthening it a little but oh well.

Realistically, any electric type besides, idk, rotom-fan, can wall you to an extent, so i'd mention that, but say they can't do too much back-they can still hit you with resisted stuff to wear you down though, and sponge volts, plus scout your move without potentially being OHKOed. Jolt with volt absorb is a good one to mention too.

Last but not least, virizion seems like a cool mention in the last section, being okay at switching in.

Overview
########

Magneton has managed to carve itself a solid niche in the RU metagame, albeit a bit of a different niche than it has had in the past. While in previous generations Magneton was primarily used as a trapper, in XY RU its main use is as one of the most threatening wallbreakers in the tier. Thanks to its huge Special Attack stat, great STAB combination, and access to STAB Volt Switch, Magneton's Choice Specs set is fantastic at wallbreaking and keeping up momentum. Magneton can also utilize its wonderful defensive typing and good bulk with a solid Eviolite set. However, while its typing grants it the most resistances of any type combination in the game, it also gives it debilitating weaknesses to three of the most common attacking types in RU in Ground, Fighting, and Fire. Magneton is also held back by its mediocre Speed, which leaves it outsped by most offensive threats. Despite this, Magneton remains a solid choice for an RU team that is sure to pull its weight in battle.

Choice Specs
########

Moves
========

Volt Switch gets momentum while dealing quite a bit of damage to anything that doesn't resist it., while Thunderbolt is Magneton's strongest attack against neutral targets. Flash Cannon hits many of the Ground-types that love to switch in on Magneton hard, particularly Rhyperior., and Hidden Power Grass is a very, while situational move, nas its only significant targets are Seismitoad and the uncommon Gastrodon.

Set Details
========

The given EVs are standard for an offensive Pokemon, with Modest as the preferred nature since Timid Magneton does not outspeed anything significant. Analytic gives Magneton a huge power boost when the opponent switches, further enhancing its already great wallbreaking potential. Choice Specs also increases Magneton's damage output significantly.

Usage Tips
========

Early- to mid-game, Magneton should break down walls to open up holes for other Pokemon. Magneton should switch in on defensive Pokemon that can't do much damage to it such as Aromatisse or Alomomola, though it should be wary of potential Scald burns. Volt Switch is generally Magneton's safest move to use in most situations, though Pokemon that are immune to it can cause a bit of trouble.

Team Options
========

Pokemon that appreciate the opposing team being worn down, particularly frail cleaners such as Sharpedo and Fletchinder, benefit from Magneton as a teammate. Hazard support is nice with any wallbreaker, and Magneton is no exception, especially since Volt Switch allows it to wear its counters down more quickly, especially if hazards are up. Good Spikes users for offensive teams include Omastar and Accelgor. Dugtrio is helpful as a partner to remove Registeel and weakened Rhyperior, letting Magneton freely spam Volt Switch.

Other Options
########

Choice Scarf is a good option for Magneton, but it isn't that strong and faces competition from other Electric-types, including Jolteon and Choice Scarf Rotom-C. While Magneton may seem like a good Trapper with Magnet Pull, almost all relevant Steel-types in RU can either easily KO Magneton before it KOes them, outright wall it, or are outright immune to trappingeven switch out, making Magneton an ineffective trapper, especially with the additiin comparison tof Dugtrio to the RU tier. Life Orb is a decent item on Magneton, but it compromises itMagneton's decent bulk quite a bit. Magnet Rise is usable on the Eviolite set in order to deal with Gligar and Rhyperior rather well. Finally, Magneton can run various other Hidden Power types: Hidden Power Ground for Jolteon and opposing Magneton, Hidden Power Fire for Escavalier, or Hidden Power Ice for Gligar. However, these Pokemon are all 2HKOed or 3HKOed by Magneton's STAB moves, so these moves aren't very useful overall.

Checks & Counters
########

**Ground-Types**: As they are immune to its Volt Switch, Ground-types such as Gligar, Seismitoad, or Rhyperior are good answers to Magneton. However, the latter two are OHKOed by Hidden Power Grass and Flash Cannon, respectively, so they must be wary when switching in. Dugtrio deserves a special mention for its ability to trap Magneton.

**Registeel**: Registeel laughs at Magneton's attacks thanks to its absurd special bulk. It can also 3HKO Magneton with Seismic Toss.

**Bulky Electric-types**: Bulky Electric-types, mainly Lanturn and Assault Vest Eelektross, take little damage from any of Magneton's moves thanks to their typing and bulk.

**Faster Fire- and Fighting-types**: While they can't switch in safely, Pokemon with STAB moves that are super effective against Magneton, such as Moltres, Cobalion, and Hitmonlee, can easily make quick work of it if they happen to be in against it.

Last edited:

tehy

Banned deucer.
Word., To both

Though, it'd be nice if you could read through the comments too, i spent quite some time on them (in case you did sorry)

Hello friend Magnemite :heart: I am here to amcheck
Add
- Remove - Comments

Overview
########

Magneton has managed to carve itself a solid niche in the RU metagame, albeit a bit of a different niche than it had in the past. While in previous generations Magneton was primarily used as a trapper, in XY RU its main use is as one of the most threatening wallbreakers in the tier. Thanks to its huge Special Attack stat, great STAB combination, and access to STAB Volt Switch, Magneton's Choice Specs set is fantastic at wallbreaking and keeping up momentum. Magneton can also utilize its wonderful defensive typing and good bulk with a solid Eviolite set. This is odd because there is no Eviolite set so there is no need to even mention it here However, while its typing grants it the most resistances of any type combination in the game, it also gives it debilitating weaknesses to three of the most common attacking types in RU in Ground, Fighting, and Fire. Magneton is also held back by its mediocre Speed, which leaves it outsped by most offensive threats. Despite this, Magneton remains a solid choice for an RU team that is sure to pull its weight in battle.

Choice Specs
########

Moves
========

Volt Switch getains momentum while dealing quite a bit of damage to anything that doesn't resist it, while Thunderbolt is Magneton's strongest attack against neutral targets. Flash Cannon hits many of the Ground-types that love toattempt switching in onto Magneton hard's Thunderbolt, particularly Rhyperior, and Hidden Power Grass, while situational, nails Seismitoad and the uncommon Gastrodon.

Set Details
========

The given EVs are standard for an offensive Pokemon, with Modest as the preferred nature since Timid Magneton does not outspeed anything significant that Modest Magneton does not. Analytic giverants Magneton a huge boost in power boost when the opponent switches, further enhancing its already great wallbreaking potential.; Choice Specs also increases Magneton's damage output significantlyeven further.

Usage Tips
========

Team Options
========

Pokemon that appreciate the opposing team being worn down, particularly frail cleaners such as Sharpedo and Fletchinder, benefit from Magneton as a teammate. HEntry hazard support is niceuseful with any wallbreaker, and Magneton is no exception, it's especially helpful since Volt Switch allows it to wear its counters down more quickly, especially if hazards are up. G. Examples of good Spikes users for offensive teams include Omastar and Accelgor. Dugtrio is helpful as a partner to remove Registeel and weakened Rhyperior, letting Magneton freely spam Volt Switch.

Other Options
########

Choice Scarf is a good option for Magneton, but it isn't that strong and faces competition from other Electric-types, including Jolteon and Choice Scarf Rotom-C. While Magneton may seem like a good Ttrapper with Magnet Pull, almost all relevant Steel-types in RU can either easily KO Magneton before it KOes them, outright wall it, or even switch out, making Magneton an ineffective trapper, especially in comparison to Dugtrio. Life Orb is a decent item on Magneton, but it compromises Magneton's decent bulk quite a bit. Magnet Rise is usable on the Eviolite sets in order to deal with Gligar and Rhyperior rather well. Finally, Magneton can run various other Hidden Power types: Hidden Power Ground for Jolteon and opposing Magneton, Hidden Power Fire for Escavalier, or Hidden Power Ice for Gligar. However, these Pokemon are all 2HKOed or 3HKOed by Magneton's STAB moves, so these moves aren't very useful overall.

Checks & Counters
########

**Ground-Types**: As they are immune to its Volt Switch, Ground-types such as Gligar, Seismitoad, orand Rhyperior are good answers to Magneton. However, the latter two are OHKOed by Hidden Power Grass and Flash Cannon, respectively, so they must be wary when switching in. Dugtrio deserves a special mention for its ability to trap Magneton.

**Registeel**: Registeel lashrughs atoff Magneton's attacks thanks to its absurdhigh special bulk. It can alsod can 3HKO Magneton with Seismic Toss.

**Bulky Electric-types**: Bulky Electric-types, mainly such as Lanturn and Assault Vest Eelektross, take little damage from any of Magneton's moves thanks to their typing and bulk.

**Faster Fire- and Fighting-types**: While they can't switch in safely, Pokemon with STAB moves that are super effective against Magneton, such as Moltres, Cobalion, and Hitmonlee, can easily make quick work of it if they happen to be in against it.Magneton with their STAB moves.

Nice writing Magnemite :toast:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)