Magneton [QC Rejected 3/3]

Bughouse

Like ships in the night, you're passing me by
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
This is very heavily based on my own XY Preview (like some of it is C/Ped). Let me know if I need to change up the prose and I will.

Overview
########

Magneton faces direct competition from its evolved form Magnezone. However, due to its higher speed, Magneton can differentiate itself in a fast paced metagame like OU with a Choice Scarf set. Magnezone will perform the general trapper role better, since it is more powerful and much bulkier, but Magneton will be able to trap opposing Steels while also being able to revenge kill many speedy threats in OU.

SET NAME
########
name: Choice Scarf
move 1: Thunderbolt
move 2: Hidden Power Ice / Hidden Power Fire
move 3: Flash Cannon
move 4: Volt Switch
ability: Magnet Pull
item: Choice Scarf
evs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========

Thunderbolt for STAB, Flash Cannon for Fairy- or Rock-types, Volt Switch for scouting, and Hidden Power for coverage against either Dragons or Steels.

Hidden Power Ice is preferred on Magneton since it is very useful against Dragon-types who Magneton can outrun when equipped with a Choice Scarf. Instead, Hidden Power Fire is an option as a Steel-trapper, although damage has been weakened to the point that if under Rain, Ferrothorn isn't even 3HKOed and bulky Scizor might not even be 2HKOed. Magnezone will be better for this role most of the time.

Set Details
========

Magneton's goal is straightforward: to utilize its adequate speed to do things Magnezone can't do. Therefore, 252 Speed, a Timid nature, and a Choice Scarf are all needed.

This enables Magnezone to outspeed many opponents, such as Starmie, Talonflame, Weavile, Noivern, Greninja, Alakazam, Hawlucha, Mega Absol, and Mega Houndoom.

Usage Tips
========

The reason to use Magneton is the speed advantage it offers over Magnezon. If all you want to do is trap and remove Ferrothorn, Skarmory, or Scizor, you should use Mangezone.

However, Choice Scarf Magneton allows you to still remove Steels, albeit less efficiently, while also outspeeding threats that Magnezone cannot.

This double duty can wear Magneton thin, so be sure to determine early on whether removing your opponent's Scizor or checking their Talonflame will be more essential to victory, since doing both can be quite difficult.

Team Options
========

If using Magneton on a Rain team, it would become possible to use Thunder, providing Magneton with a highly desired power boost.

Since Magneton is slower than the majority of Choice Scarf users your opponent might be using, Sticky Web or Knock Off support can be helpful so that Magneton will be able to revenge these otherwise faster opponents.

Alternatively, Magneton can be viewed as a unique case. It's a Choice Scarf user that, due to frailty and low Speed, can't be trusted as a sole Scarfer. Pairing Magneton with another faster Choice Scarf user, such as Keldeo or Latios will ensure you can still check the threats Magneton fails to outspeed.

Other Options
########

Magneton has a very shallow movepool and faces direct competition from Magnezone, who, as Magneton's evolution, is naturally superior overall. So there aren't almost any options for Magneton beyond the recommended set.

The most notable option remaining for Magneton is to use Hidden Power Grass to catch Gastrodon and Quagsire by surprise.

Checks & Counters
########

Grounds, Hippowdown especially
Generally any bulky thing that can hit back, like Goodra
Pink Blobs
Basically all other Scarfers or things even faster than Scarf Magneton, like Mega Aerodactyl

PK Gaming

Persona 5
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
I've never been fond of Choice Scarf Magneton, and i'm especially not fond of Magneton now that Choiced Electric-types are a liability (and it's really weak too). The extra speed is definitely doesn't justify using it over Magnezone.

QC Rejected (1/3)

Can't get myself to believe this thing is better than Magnezone despite the increased Speed.

QC REJECT 3/3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)