Gen 3 Magneton + Sceptile

Umby

I'm gonna bury you in the ground~
is a Contributor Alumnus
This is by no means a solid team (it's actually pretty terrible), it's just what I've started out using in a new team build. I just wanted some help with a Magneton + Sceptile core, because honestly, I haven't had any good ideas in over half a year.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Trait: Natural Cure
EVs: 44 HP / 216 Spd / 248 SAtk
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Hydro Pump
- Ice Beam
- Recover
- Thunderbolt

If Sceptile becomes assertive early-/mid-game, it's likely to cripple a special wall, in which case Starmie becomes extremely tough to defend against. Sceptile + Starmie is an old combination, so I thought I'd just toss it in there.

Heracross (F) @ Choice Band
Trait: Guts
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Brick Break
- Focus Punch
- Megahorn
- Rock Slide

The Wolverine to the Akuma that is my Magneton, so to speak. Brownie points to those who get the reference.

Sceptile (F) @ Petaya Berry
Trait: Overgrow
EVs: 252 Spd / 252 SAtk / 4 SDef
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Endeavor
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Leaf Blade
- Substitute

Once Magneton takes care of the appropriate steels, SOMETHING is getting wrecked once this finds the right spot to get in. It's a late-game monster. Many people seem to expect Leech Seed, so that's a plus here as well.

Magneton @ Leftovers
Trait: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Spd / 252 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Rest
- Sleep Talk
- Thunderbolt

I didn't have a viable sleep talker or a real answer to Zapdos (Snorlax is SDing and Sceptile doesn't want to risk HP Ice/Paralysis) so I opted for Sleep Talk, but HP Fire sucks on the Sleep Talk set and I could really use Thunder Wave.

Snorlax (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Thick Fat
EVs: 80 HP / 208 Atk / 80 Def / 140 SDef
Careful Nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Body Slam
- Earthquake
- Selfdestruct
- Shadow Ball

Another Magneton buddy. The team currently plays too fast for me to use Curse and I've found full health Selfdestruct more useful for when my teams are too frail to fend off DDMence/Gyara.

Skarmory (F) @ Leftovers
Trait: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP / 72 Def / 184 Spd
Jolly Nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Counter
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Whirlwind

My favorite set. I actually forgot why I opted for it. Probably to scare DDTar if it came in on me.

Looking more for the "what's a better way to build this?" than the "this team is weak to" type comments.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
That's a really neat team. I think it's good as it is. DDmence with Fire Blast and CB Aerodactyl and Tyranitar could be scary though. Raikou and opposing Sceptile with HP Fire could possibly sweep after Snorlax is damaged. However, most of these things could be covered by playstyle.

You might want to try Houndoom. It is good to hunt down Celebi and Gengar that would otherwise wall your Sceptile. It 3HKOs Zapdos, and takes out Metagross, Jirachi, and Heracross, things that Magneton can't get rid of and pose problems to Sceptile.

Fire Blast | Pursuit | Will-O-Wisp | Crunch / HP Ice is what I am thinking. Make it Timid and give it > 299 Spd to move before Adamant Salamence. You can invest in a decent amount in Sp Def as well.

Starmie is probably the one to be displaced for Houndoom. However, this opens up your team to more Tyranitar. I'd suggest adding Swampert to not only give your team a solid Rock Resist but also a good DDmence counter and more reinforcement against Flygon and Metagross (just in case Skarm dies).

EQ | Ice Beam | Curse | HP Bug is what I suggest.

This is a good way to lure in Celebi and punish it with HP Bug. It would make switching Houndoom in and then sniping Celebi much easier. Swampert can go over Heracross.

Removing Heracross and Starmie makes your team vulnerable to Fighting Types. Having Celebi over Snorlax can patch this up. It would patch up the CM Raikou problem for one and can provide some nifty support.

There is a few things that it can do. Calm Mind Passing is one, and you have 4 good mons to pass them to. Removing Skarmory with Magneton helps here. I'd give it enough Sp Atk to kill Dugtrio after 1 CM and plenty of HP / Defense to absorb an HP Bug.

Psychic - Reflect - Perish Song is enough to keep last-mon Snorlax at bay and can also deal with Raikou / Jirachi. Perish Song can also put other Celebi into checkmate position with Houndoom if they don't switch out immediately. Persih Song + Spikes helps to wear down the opposing team. Unfortunately, this would have a rougher time taking out Zapdos than CM-Passing Celebi.

I'd also invest a little more in Magneton's Speed, since with that spread you're only tying with Skarmory, allowing it to possibly lay down another layer of Spikes. It doesn't need that much Special Defense to wall resisted special moves anyways.

Umby

I'm gonna bury you in the ground~
is a Contributor Alumnus
Trying all of the changes, opting for CM Pass Celebi. Only issues right now are dealing with Ice Beam waters. Especially of concern if Dugtrio paired with them, coming in to wreck me when I Recover with Celebi.

Pocket

be the upgraded version of me
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yea, the suggestions are no means perfect. I think I sacrificed lots of the team's wall-breaking potential for some more reliable defense. CM Suicune with Ice Beam is when I wish I could've kept your Snorlax or CB Heracross. Can't you switch in your Sceptile on the CM to take care of it, though?

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)