3) Magic Coat
4) Volt Switch/Flash Cannon
Item: Expert Belt
Nature: Modest
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 SpAttk/252 Spe/4 SpDef

[SET COMMENTS]

- Uses a variety of tools to surprise the opponent early game
- Sturdy is not only unexpected, it effectively gives acts as a Focus Sash, allowing Magnezone to carry a different item
- Expert Belt-boosted Thunder OHKOes offensive Kyogre, while having a 70 % chance to OHKO 252 HP/0 SpDef variants
- Though it is weak, Hidden Power Ice is the best way to deal with Groudon, with an assured 2HKO on all common variants
- Magic Coat reflects Dark Void,Taunt and hazards, making it great against Darkrai and Deoxys-S leads
- Last slot upto preference: Volt Switch gives a reliable alternative STAB, also letting it get away from unfavorable match-ups and gain momentum. Flash Cannon is another STAB, albeit with poor coverage, but hits Tyranitar and Abomasnow for solid damage

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

- Works especially well on weather teams, which want other weather starters (Kyogre, Groudon, Ttar, Hippo, Abomasnow) removed or weakened, as Magnezone alone is capable of denting all of them
- EV spread shouldn't be changed - even with a neutral nature, Magnezone outruns uninvested base 90s, and with Timid it won't outspeed anything significant. Also, the extra power is more useful
- Certain Gems can be used if desired - Electric Gem guarantees the OHKO on all Kyogre with Thunder, Ice Gem boosted HP Ice severely cripples Groudon and Hippowdon and a Steel Gem guarantees the OHKO on Abomasnow and 2HKO on Tyranitar with Flash Cannon, but Expert Belt is a more consistent and reliable option

Tell me what you guys think :)

If a Pokemon is going to serve as an anti-lead, it needs to be able to reliably beat prevalent Pokemon commonly used as leads, and provide some sort of function by itself. Magnezone does neither sufficiently well enough to justify sacrificing a teamslot for it, because using it is exactly that: a sacrifice. Magnezone, at best, will either Magic Coat Stealth Rock or Dark Void, OHKO a Scarf Kyogre, or do some damage to a Groudon. Which, btw, outspeeds Modest 252 Spe Magnezone with just 16 Speed EVs. None of these are appealing enough best-case scenarios for this set to be worth running when you could be running an actually effective anti-lead, such as mix Rayquaza.

One of Magnezone's few niches in Ubers is its ability to trap Ferrothorn with Magnet Pull, and it's usually useless if it can't accomplish that. This set does even less. Sorry.

QC Rejected: 1/3

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I was skeptical when I saw that you were going to do a Magnezone analysis of some sort, since I revamped it not too long ago, and was really wondering what a new Magnezone analysis could offer. I'm going to frank, this set is wrong on so many levels:

1) Bad formatting
2) This set takes NONE of Magnezone's qualities. Why should you use this, over say... Deoxys-A? Magnezone is already pretty mediocre in Ubers, with trapping Ferrothorn its only main niche. Yet, this set can't even do that. You know your Magnezone completely fails when Forretress, Skarmory, Ferrothorn and other important Steel-types can switch out of you at will. It's like running Dugtrio without Arena Trap.
3) Even as an lead, it doesn't do what it should do. A lead, if this concept is even that prominent any more in gen 5, should do at least one of a number of things: i) Set up weather, ii) Set up hazards of some sort, iii) Prevent hazards going up from your opponent or limit them to one layer maximum and iv) Be of some use mid-late game. Magnezone does NONE of those reliably. It can't set up hazards. It only has Magic Coat to deflect incoming hazards, so at best, you'll stop one layer, anything after that requires you to guess whether your opponent will either attack or set up more hazards. It's absolutely dead weight mid-late game, because it can't do anything that Magnezone can normally do, which is trap Steel-types, or tank Draco Meteors, or just be anything useful.

QC REJECTED 3/3

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)