Magnezone

Status
Not open for further replies.
I don't have a mouth...
Magnezone @ Cutsap Berry / Petaya Berry / Salac Berry
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Sp.Atk / 252 Spe
Nature: Modest (+Sp.Atk, -Atk) / Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire] / [Ice]
- Flash Cannon
- Thunder Wave

Well this is an interesting little gimmick. Sturdy basically acts as a Focus Sash thi generatio which allows Magnezone to take any hit (Most notably Ground typed ones) and live, and then retaliate. Now generally speaking this is wouldn't be worth giving up Magnezone's ability to trap Steels but in combination with any of the listed berries it can almost gurantee Magnezone a kill. Generally speaking Magnezone is know to carry Magnet Pull, it's something the majority of players simply take for granted. With this in mind Magnezone is quite capable of bluffing Magnet Pull letting it kill a Steel (Ideally something that isn't attacking zone like Skarm or Nattorei) and then kill whatever comes in to finish it. The way this works is say if Garchomp comes in and hits you with an Earthquake; Magnezone lives and gets a berry boost and then smacks chomp in the face with Hidden Power Ice. That's just one example, but the general idea is Magnezone kills something like Skarmory and then either kills the revenger or at least takes a pretty big chunk out of it. Berry choice is up to you; Custap ensures you get two attacks off which is pretty useful but Petaya increases your chances of OHKOing whatever you're facing and technically speaking Cutsap is actually illegal at present. You can run Salac with Timid and then try to sweep with Magnezone which is an interesting idea, although attempting to sweep with 1 HP often isn't practical.

...why can't all the ops be as darn good as this one?
Magnezone is arguably my favorite competitive electric. With all this power creep thingie going on, a quiet nature woul be decent for a trick room set.

Off topic, The Scope lens/life orb/lefties/wide lens pic just screams for a variant of the meme "Why can I, hold these lums?"
I've actually been using Magnezone on Trick Room to a fair deal of success. It's an excellent way of clearing out Steels For Kurimungan to tear shit up, and with Trick Room in effect Zone outspeeds the majority of Steels that otherwise threaten it and easily gets to Magnet Rise. Haven't quite decided on held item though or the exact EV spread. The Balloon is surprisingly useful on slower sets.

I still don't get why Trollfreak DIDN'T give Magnemite/Magneton/Magnezone Levitate, the pokedex entries state that it floats in the air using magnetic energy or something along those lines, Levitate could have made Magnezone more versatile imo. Its a shame cause the Magnemite line are one of my favorite pokemon.

For some of those sets that aren't really relying on their items Magneton@Pre-Evo Stone would seem to be a good choice as it has greater speed and higher bulk on average.

For some of those sets that aren't really relying on their items Magneton@Pre-Evo Stone would seem to be a good choice as it has greater speed and higher bulk on average.

EVOLUTON!
Magneton @ Evolution Stone
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 244 HP / 252 Sp.Atk / 12 Spe
Nature: Modest (+Sp.Atk, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Magnet Rise
- Flash Cannon / Volt Change

Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Sp.Atk / 176 Spe
Nature: Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Magnet Rise
- Flash Cannon / Volt Change

Ability: Analyze
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Sp.Atk / 6 Sp.Def
Nature: Quiet (+Sp.Atk, -Spe)
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Magnet Rise
- Flash Cannon

EVs on the first two are for outspeed various Metagross. Not sure how much bulkier than Magnezone they are, but I would assume given the difference in base HP you'd need to still invest a fair bit in zone's HP to really make use of the Evo Stone boost.

Magneton @ Salac Berry
Nature: (+Speed, - Sp. Def)

- Recycle
- Electraball
- Magic Coat / Mirror Coat

Magic Coat prevents many things while Mirror Coat handles a foe than can KO Magneton like Shandera only to survive with Sturdy and KO back with Mirror Coat. This is also useful since Magenzone's limited movepool means foes with a high Special Defense will be hit harder from Mirror Coat, than Magenzone's other Special Attacks. 241 HP - 1 remaining from Sturdy = 480 damage

Recycle is to be used the turn you predict Sturdy to activate, giving you essentially 2 Salac berries, as your Electraball is powered up; I chose Magneton because the higher Speed Stat for Electraball/sweeping, much less Special Defense so Mirror Coat works better, and because this will make more of a difference with Salac Berry's multiplication.

A lead set is actually pretty viable I think. It gets a couple nice tools to pull this off, couple points of intrest are:

-Magic Coat to block back status and entry hazzards (plus nobody expects it)
-Magnet pull could work I guess... But it can run sturdy to great effect
-Volt change to scout a bit
-He also gets mirror coat, which he can abuse quite well with sturdy against special attack leads like heatran

Not the greatest lead ever, but it gets the job done. Item depends really... I guess cutsap berry works well, though lefties could help to let you switch out and back in again onto SR, get back your hp for sturdy to work.

I think Magnezone will be even more useful this gen, seeing as steel-type usage will likely go up, given the multitude of new, powerful dragons

HP/Ground really needs a mention here, particularly for the fact that it deals with opposing Heatran, Jolteon, Rotom-H and Magnezone while still being able to deal with Doryuuzu. It might not be as worthwhile this generation when considering that Nattorei has become the top Steel type of choice and HP/Fire is Magnezones only reasonable alternative to dealing damage without allowing it to set up 3 layers of Spikes.

HP/Ice should also be a consideration for all sets mentioned, as it deals with Gliscor, Landlos, Garchomp and Salamence efficiently.

Unless Swampert rises in usage, I do not see HP/Grass seeing any more use.

breh

強いだね
Magnezone has a big problem - barring nattorei, it's got a tough time against most steels (and hell Nattorei even carries Shed Shell in Dream World :/).

Yes I realize that you can use balloon vs. Dory but what if it decides to use RS to clear hazards? Does HP fire even KO?

Skarm is of lesser issue, but if it happens to ww, then you just revealed a big pokemon on your team and skarm gets no penalty.

Oh and I have serious doubts HP Fire OHKOes Nattorei (hell I don't know if it even 2HKOes but it probably does).

Otherwise, has anybody considered the viability of Volt Change and Discharge?

Such a pity this poor guy didn't get a recovery move in the transition.. had he had recover, Magneton would kick ass. But really that's Magnezone's biggest problem - a really shitty movepool.

Leftovers is an, albeit minor, issue, and the "more power" doesn't really hold water until you're fighting a Steel-type that can damage Magnezone after a Magnet Rise just in case it happens to get one up. Magnezone's role, at least in the Bet you wish you had Shed Shell now, huh? Set, which is what I was talking about Magneton being better in, Is to pick away at most steel. Magneton still has plenty of power. You aren't going to use choice items on the Bet you wish you had Shed Shell now, huh? Set, and Magnezone is better at Choice items and other stuff, but if you're not gimmicking with your Steel trapping, Magneton is better, if only because of its defenses and speed, essential for getting it to perhaps be lucky enough to get Magnet Rise against users of Ground moves, that aren't Doryuzu, where it won't matter if you're as fast as you can be, anyway. And maybe, just maybe, Magneton might have a better chance of surviving that Earthquake.

Zone has the advantage over Shandera as a revenge killer thanks to its resistance to stealth rocks and higher defenses. With the onslaught of dragons, steel will be more common as well, meaning Magnezone may have the chance to become a prominent poke once again

This topic is almost awesome enough to make me want to use Magnezone. i started laughing at the Light Clay picture and it just kept going.

as someone who only plays DW, obviously, Shadow Tag users are the biggest pain for preventing the magnet from being outclassed. why would I trap Skarmory and Nattorei when I could trap everyone? I'm not sure about how it is compared to Stone Magneton, either. I'm predicting a low tier for it.

I have seen other pokemon have success with Sturdy Cutsap.

Epic Pictures are Epic. Major props to the OP.

First things first, Troll is a amazing move and should be recommended on every set.

Anyways Magnezone that Balloon this gen and it seems to be a big improvement. Explosion hurt bad but now Magnezone doesn't have to wait a move slot for Magnet Rise.... yay..

I still don't get why Trollfreak DIDN'T give Magnemite/Magneton/Magnezone Levitate, the pokedex entries state that it floats in the air using magnetic energy or something along those lines, Levitate could have made Magnezone more versatile imo. Its a shame cause the Magnemite line are one of my favorite pokemon.
Honestly, magnet pull is debatably more useful for it

im thinking of running a magneton/zone as partner for latias....but not really sure which. any idea? magneton seems slightly better as it has more defense and magnet rise....

I don't have a mouth...
Magnezone @ Cutsap Berry / Petaya Berry / Salac Berry
Nature: Modest (+Sp.Atk, -Atk) / Timid (+Spe, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Flash Cannon
- Thunder Wave

Well this is an interesting little gimmick. Sturdy basically acts as a Focus Sash thi generatio which allows Magnezone to take any hit (Most notably Ground typed ones) and live, and then retaliate. Now generally speaking this is wouldn't be worth giving up Magnezone's ability to trap Steels but in combination with any of the listed berries it can almost gurantee Magnezone a kill. Generally speaking Magnezone is know to carry Magnet Pull, it's something the majority of players simply take for granted. With this in mind Magnezone is quite capable of bluffing Magnet Pull letting it kill a Steel (Ideally something that isn't attacking zone like Skarm or Nattorei) and then kill whatever comes in to finish it. The way this works is say if Garchomp comes in and hits you with an Earthquake; Magnezone lives and gets a berry boost and then smacks chomp in the face with Hidden Power Ice. That's just one example, but the general idea is Magnezone kills something like Skarmory and then either kills the revenger or at least takes a pretty big chunk out of it. Berry choice is up to you; Custap ensures you get two attacks off which is pretty useful but Petaya increases your chances of OHKOing whatever you're facing and technically speaking Cutsap is actually illegal at present. You can run Salac with Timid and then try to sweep with Magnezone which is an interesting idea, although attempting to sweep with 1 HP often isn't practical.
Nope
On PO, if Magnezone has Magnet Pull the 'Switch Pogeymanz' option will be greyed out.

Of course you can try it on the actual game, where people actually don't bother switching Skarm out of Magnezone.

It'd be amusing in the lower parts of the ladder. You'd be surprised how oblivious players can be, completely not noticing Balloon indications and the like.

If you give magneton the same speed as the standard magnezone then you can run MODEST which gives you more sp. attack then magnezone too. Paired with higher defenses, it would seem that the "standard" magnezone is now outclassed by magneton. Of course if you run a non steel trapper set magnezone is better.

excadrill can just use brick break if they dont know your hold item or they are predicting you have a balloon

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)