XY NU Malamar, Delicious and Dangerous

Hello everyone! I'll start off by saying that besides this, I've only made one other NU team (it was for a tournament) so I'm still having problems deciding what Pokemon I need to be able to counter/check, but I'm definitely coming along.

This is a team I tried to design around a late game Malamar Sweep, but the team kind of took its own shape in the process, which I'm not sure I like. I'd really like to get back to supporting/synergizing with Malamar, but I honestly don't really know what steps I would have to take to do that.

Maiamai (Malamar) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Superpower
- Rest
- Night Slash
- Light Screen

I thought I was the one that created this set, but upon further inspection. it seems Smogon has something very similar. Ever since I started playing Pokemon I've dreamed of the "ultimate tank" Pokemon. However, boosting your defense, special defense, and recovery leaves you with one moveslot, and that usually doesn't work out well. However, Malamar's ability to beef up, on top of a 120 BP move, amends this to some extent. I like Light Screen over Sleep Talk because it immediately HALVES the damage you take from special attacks, and lets me just wait out the rest turns, as well as being able to support my team in a pinch. With 2-3 Superpowers, and Light Screen, Malamar really gets scary, as it can OHKO most Offensive Pokemon and live, and take on the tiers premier physical walls.

Would like to keep on team: Yes

Farenheit (Magmortar) (F) @ Choice Specs
Ability: Vital Spirit
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Overheat
- Focus Blast
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Grass]
I needed a fire type to deal with Bug/Fairy Typings, as well as a Pokemon that deals really high, initial Specially based damage. I went with Choice Specs. Magmortar, as it fits into that role pretty well. I'd have preferred a defensive fire type, but the tier lacks any good ones, although switching out Sandslash and Magmortar for Torkoal is a possibility to free up another slot. Moveset is standard covererage, with Overheat > Fire Blast for accuracy issues, and because it can outspeed and OHKO CB Adamant Sawk, who otherwise sweeps my team.

Would like to keep on team:
Not Particularly

Sephora (Vileplume) (F) @ Black Sludge
Ability: Effect Spore
EVs: 244 HP / 224 Def / 32 SpA / 8 Spe
Bold Nature
- Moonlight
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Sleep Powder
Vileplume is my Physical Wall, and almost my only poison type. I needed something to deal with all of the hard hitting physical threats in NU, like Sawk and Feraligatr. Unfortunately, coverage Ice moves really hit this thing hard, but Choice Scarf Sawk fails to 2HKO and I can Moonlight for Effect Spore, or Sleep Power. Vileplume is really handy on my team, as it takes care of most of the notable physical threats. I had Weezing on here before, but Mold Breaker Sawk with EQ became a serious problem, so I switched it out for something more reliable. I do have serious problems with Swellow, however, because it becomes immune to Sleep, and nothing on my team wants to take a Facade or Brave Bird.

Creampuff (Lickilicky) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Own Tempo
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpD
Careful Nature
- Wish
- Protect
- Knock Off
- Toxic
Lickilicky is a hit-or-miss Pokemon on this team. On one hand it's got that amazing Special Defense, HP, and ability to wish pass, but it seems to kill momentum if its not in a really good match up. I've considered replacing Toxic with EQ, to give me more offensive presence after I Knock Off, but then some of the bigger tank Pokemon can give me trouble without residual damage (EG., Seismitoad). Although I've never used it before, I'm considering trying Audino, because it fills a similar role, but doesn't need to gobble up all the wishes because of Regenerator, which, despite being even less offensively threatening, can support the Pokemon that are a little more efficiently. Another problem with this team is nowhere to fit Heal Bell/Aromatherapy. Protect also helps me scout Sawk sets.

Would like to keep on team: Not Particularly

Gaara (Sandslash) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Rush
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
Overall, Sandslash has been a good Pokemon in terms of filling its role, but it's lack of any useful resistances (to this team) really hurts the overall composition. It usually gets its rocks up, keeps theirs down, and gets off a few attacks or even a kill. Knock off is really great for utility and for dealing with spinblockers who think they can come in and make my Sandslash look silly. However, and I can't really find a better Spinner, and most Defoggers don't fit too well into the team, so if you can suggest a better one, then great, but for now Sandslash does his thing, and does it well.

Would like to keep on team: Not Particularly

Snapjaw (Feraligatr) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Torrent
EVs: 92 HP / 252 Atk / 164 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Ice Punch
- Waterfall
- Earthquake
Feraligatr is ridiculous in NU. His buik almost always guarantees that he gets a DD off, and he usually proceeds to deal serious damage to other team. EVs are for added bulk, and the ability to outspeed positive base 125s after a DD, because Swellow has been a serious problem for me. Other than that, pretty self explanatory coverage moves. I don't know if I should keep leftovers, because the healing is nice, but it does lack some noticeable power. However, Life Orb takes my precious Gatr away from me too soon, so the only other items I can really think of are Lum/Mystic Water/Shell Bell.

Overall, I would say the team performs pretty well, but weakness to Swellow, along with lack of any sort of priority/VoltTurn/Phazing are serious downsides that I'd like to mend, along with the fact that the team doesn't do much to lure out and deal with the Sp. Atkers/Fairies/Fighting/Bug types that Malamar needs gone kind of downplays the whole point of the team. I'd really like to keep the Pokemon I've indicated, but I can change the sets/EVs on them. I also feel like something like All-Out Attacker Kanga could fit well on this team, with hard dual priority and great damage, but I don't know where to fit it in.

Thanks for your time, and for future rates,

War

Last edited:
Hi there, this is a pretty cool balance team. I think one of the largest problems with your current team is that you really don't have a purpose. On the one hand, you claim you are trying to support a malamar sweep, but on the other, the team doesn't seem to support anything. Furthermore, you are cleanly 6-0'd by any and all setup sweepers, as you lack any way to prevent them, without any priority whatsoever, phazing, or even just a scarfer. I also feel like for a rather offensive team, Lickilicky seems extremely out of place as it really doesn't help your team anyway. You also have quite a few suboptimal sets which could use improving. Cool team though.

I think the first and easiest thing for me to do is reccomend that you run All Out Attacker Kangaskhan over Lickilicky. Lickilicky is simply far too passive for your team, and you are incredibly susceptible to setup sweepers such as Belly Drum Slurpuff or Swords Dance Feraligatr. By giving your team some key priority, you are able to revenge kill these threats and prevent them from 6-0ing you off the bat. It also helps you pressure weather teams which you are really weak to, giving you an advantage over offensively based pokemon that you currently lose to.

Kangaskhan @ Silk Scarf | Scrappy
Adamant | 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Double Edge | Fake Out | Sucker Punch | Earthquake / Drain Punch

Minor Changes:
Malamar: Chesto Berry > Leftovers alongside Psycho Cut > Light Screen. Chestorest Malamar is far more consistent than your current set as it is an actual sweeper, and resting passive for 2 turns without sleep talk or anything is asking to be complete setup fodder. Further more, your current set is ineffective because you are completely walled by the current tier's most common types in Fighting and Fairy, and therefore having an alternative STAB in Psycho Cut can make you much less vulnerable.
Magmortar: I highly do not reccomend a Choice Specs Set as you are currently weak to stall, and Specs doesn't take full advantage of Magmortar's one true shining point, its amazing coverage. As a result I reccomend you run Life Orb Attacker with Fire Blast / Hidden Power Grass / Thunderbolt / Earthquake and an EV spread of 32 Atk / 224 SAtk / 252 Spe Rash to take maximum advantage of Magmortar to rip through stall teams as well as act as an efficient wallbreaker for Malamar to sweep.
Vileplume: In the current tier, Sleep Powder Vileplume isn't that good because sleep isn't that crippling and it is honestly a waste of a moveslot compared to far superior options such as Hidden Power [Fire] or Aromatherapy, which can either help you heal status or make you not fodder to Pawniard, Ferroseed, and Klinklang.
Sandslash: 252 Spe / 252 Atk / 4 Def Adamant > your current EV spread, as it lets you take maximum advantage of Sandslash and more easily spin, as defensive slash is poorly weak, slow, and isn't even that bulky. Offensively, Sandslash has many more opportunities to beat opposing SR leads, as well as more comfortably remove hazards.
Feraligatr: Swords Dance Feraligatr is far better than Dragon Dance, to the point that Dragon Dance Feraligatr is nigh unuseable currently due to poor offensive capabilities even at +1, lack of priority, etc. and on the whole, SD is better. Furthermore, adding Aqua Jet to your ensemble gives you a way to beat some of NUs setup sweepers alongside Kangaskhan, again relieving pressure. Waterfall / Swords Dance / Aqua Jet / Ice Punch or Return with either a Lum Berry or Mystic Water.

Hi there, this is a pretty cool balance team. I think one of the largest problems with your current team is that you really don't have a purpose. On the one hand, you claim you are trying to support a malamar sweep, but on the other, the team doesn't seem to support anything. Furthermore, you are cleanly 6-0'd by any and all setup sweepers, as you lack any way to prevent them, without any priority whatsoever, phazing, or even just a scarfer. I also feel like for a rather offensive team, Lickilicky seems extremely out of place as it really doesn't help your team anyway. You also have quite a few suboptimal sets which could use improving. Cool team though.

I think the first and easiest thing for me to do is reccomend that you run All Out Attacker Kangaskhan over Lickilicky. Lickilicky is simply far too passive for your team, and you are incredibly susceptible to setup sweepers such as Belly Drum Slurpuff or Swords Dance Feraligatr. By giving your team some key priority, you are able to revenge kill these threats and prevent them from 6-0ing you off the bat. It also helps you pressure weather teams which you are really weak to, giving you an advantage over offensively based pokemon that you currently lose to.

Kangaskhan @ Silk Scarf | Scrappy
Adamant | 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spd
Double Edge | Fake Out | Sucker Punch | Earthquake / Drain Punch

Minor Changes:
Malamar: Chesto Berry > Leftovers alongside Psycho Cut > Light Screen. Chestorest Malamar is far more consistent than your current set as it is an actual sweeper, and resting passive for 2 turns without sleep talk or anything is asking to be complete setup fodder. Further more, your current set is ineffective because you are completely walled by the current tier's most common types in Fighting and Fairy, and therefore having an alternative STAB in Psycho Cut can make you much less vulnerable.
Magmortar: I highly do not reccomend a Choice Specs Set as you are currently weak to stall, and Specs doesn't take full advantage of Magmortar's one true shining point, its amazing coverage. As a result I reccomend you run Life Orb Attacker with Fire Blast / Hidden Power Grass / Thunderbolt / Earthquake and an EV spread of 32 Atk / 224 SAtk / 252 Spe Rash to take maximum advantage of Magmortar to rip through stall teams as well as act as an efficient wallbreaker for Malamar to sweep.
Vileplume: In the current tier, Sleep Powder Vileplume isn't that good because sleep isn't that crippling and it is honestly a waste of a moveslot compared to far superior options such as Hidden Power [Fire] or Aromatherapy, which can either help you heal status or make you not fodder to Pawniard, Ferroseed, and Klinklang.
Sandslash: 252 Spe / 252 Atk / 4 Def Adamant > your current EV spread, as it lets you take maximum advantage of Sandslash and more easily spin, as defensive slash is poorly weak, slow, and isn't even that bulky. Offensively, Sandslash has many more opportunities to beat opposing SR leads, as well as more comfortably remove hazards.
Feraligatr: Swords Dance Feraligatr is far better than Dragon Dance, to the point that Dragon Dance Feraligatr is nigh unuseable currently due to poor offensive capabilities even at +1, lack of priority, etc. and on the whole, SD is better. Furthermore, adding Aqua Jet to your ensemble gives you a way to beat some of NUs setup sweepers alongside Kangaskhan, again relieving pressure. Waterfall / Swords Dance / Aqua Jet / Ice Punch or Return with either a Lum Berry or Mystic Water.
Cool, I'm actually kind of happy about that because as I said in the breakdown, Lickilicky felt slow and out of place, and I even suggested adding that specific Kanga in my comments at the bottom, so at least I'm getting better at identifying where the problems are. I'll put in your changes as they look nice, except for the Psycho Cut on Malamar. I quite like this set right now and would like to try and play the match around it, even though what you suggested is probably better from a fully competitive viewpoint. Also, what does 252 speed do for Sandslash? Is there anything specific that it outspeeds, or can I tweak it a little to add some more bulk?

Thanks for the informed rates as always, Brawlfest.

Any other suggestions welcome.

I'll put in your changes as they look nice, except for the Psycho Cut on Malamar. I quite like this set right now and would like to try and play the match around it, even though what you suggested is probably better from a fully competitive viewpoint.
try the other malamar set, but also just do 252 attack and adamant. your current set probably works well against lower ladder but it's really passive against a player who has both a decent team and experience. relying on rest without sleep talk means that you're giving the opponent a chance to react by going out to their u-turn user, some offensive or bulky setup pokemon like feraligatr that can heavily wear down 0 to +2 malamar, or a roar user. psycho cut also helps you because slurpuff and granbull are really annoying and the former's pretty threatening offensively

also i actually don't know what 252 spe does for sandslash unless you come across other fast sandslash because nothing in the 80 to 90 range ever runs minimum speed lol. just run enough speed to get defensive garbodor, which also allows you to outspeed defensive seismitoad and lanturn at the same time

You can also use Scarf Ditto instead of Kang. It is the ultimate stop to setup sweepers, because it lets you sweep them back. Since you're adding a priority move onto Feraligatr, I think you don't need to double up on it. Also Sucker Punch is unreliable, and Kangaskhan's unboosted Fake Out is not that strong.

Ditto can also get you other random benefits even if their team is stally, such as Aromatherapy, Defog, or a status move. His major weakness is if their setup sweeper is a slow Calm Minder, but that's why you should diversify your counters. You already have 3 physical attackers (Sandslash, Malamar, and Feraligatr) which should be plenty to handle such pokemon. If they aren't then I would say Sandslash should be replaced with something stronger. You don't really even need the spin on your team except for Magmortar, who doesn't last too long anyway.

Gigalith is a strong Stealth Rocker with a powerful Stone Edge and Explosion. I run 252 HP/252 Atk Adamant on him with a Normal Gem. The Explosion will help you take out a pokemon who has gotten a few boosts and really doesn't want to switch out, which should be finished off with Feraligatr easily if it didn't already. The Stone Edge does serious damage to most/all ghost types if you predict a switch. The last move I use on him is Toxic or EQ for a coverage move, depending on what you need. Either one will hurt a Rock/Ground type that resists Rock and Normal, since they usually have no recovery. This guy has got 374 HP, 405 Atk, 296 Def, and 196 SpD with this spread, and importantly Sturdy, which helps you get off your vital SR and/or Explosion.

It also takes on Swellow with ease.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)