move 3: Rest
move 4: Sleep Talk
ability: Contrary
item: Leftovers
evs: 220 HP / 36 Atk / 252 SpD
nature: Careful

Moves
========

• Knock Off is a fairly strong STAB that knocks off items which can be extremely helpful.
  • Superpower takes advantage of Contrary giving Malamar a +1 in Defense and Attack while still being fairly strong making it a pretty good attack to spam.
  • Rest heals up if you get worn down and gets rid of annoying status effects.
  • Sleep Talk allows Malamar not to be completely worthless while asleep.

Set Details
========

• EV spread increases overall bulk.
  • Invested into Special Defense because using Superpower will be boosting physical defense.
  • HP EVs hit a number that gives maximum Leftovers recovery.

Usage Tips
========

• Try setting up until late game.
  • Get rid of checks and counters before attempting to set up.
  • Spam Superpower until Malamar is strong enough to sweep.
  • When weakened and status'd try to rest and spam sleep talk until waking up.
  • Not always necessary to get +6 and doing so risks getting critted.

Team Options
========

• Pokemon that can sponge U-turn reliably such as Gligar, Golbat, Registeel, and Cobalion work well with Malamar because of it's annoying 4x weakness to bug.
  • Malamar also appreciates Toxic Spike support so Pokemon such as Weezing and Dragalge.
  • Checks or counters for Pokemon that can overpower it.

Other Options
########

• Choice Band
  • Choice Scarf
  • Life Orb 3 attacks/filler

Checks & Counters
########

**Fairy-types** Things like Slurpuff, Granbull, and Aromatisse resist both Superpower and Knock Off and can hit back with their STABs which are super effective.

**Bug-types** Durant, Escavalier, Accelgor, etc all can just kill Malamar with there 4x Effective STABs.

**Hard Hitters/Offensive Pressure** Pokemon that hit Malamar too hard prevents it from setting up

Last edited:

tehy

Banned deucer.
To be honest you can just PP stall quagsire; rest is 48 pp if you want it, knock is 40 iirc? Maybe 32 or even 24. Quaggy is recover 16 plus toxic 16 plus scald 24 or maybe ice punch or waterfall 24 and earthquake 24, so you do the math (hint: u win ez). You should be able to max boost pretty easily after that and clean, while your sheer power makes it difficult to switch stall. The best strategy is scald burn plus eq plus tox to try to stall out rest, and i don't even think that works.

passion

heavenly :)
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
To be honest you can just PP stall quagsire; rest is 48 pp if you want it, knock is 40 iirc? Maybe 32 or even 24. Quaggy is recover 16 plus toxic 16 plus scald 24 or maybe ice punch or waterfall 24 and earthquake 24, so you do the math (hint: u win ez). You should be able to max boost pretty easily after that and clean, while your sheer power makes it difficult to switch stall. The best strategy is scald burn plus eq plus tox to try to stall out rest, and i don't even think that works.
you are correct thanks

Reactions: g
Mention hard hitters and offensive pressure in c&c as that can easilu prevent Malamar from setting up
2/3

tehy

Banned deucer.
By the way, 220 HP for a lefties number? 32 evs/8 HP seems a bit much to give up for that, right? Does the extra attack do anything?

SM979

dank memes
is a Contributor Alumnus
No, AV Malamar is terrible, not even OO worthy. Its only niche is rest talk to have reliable recovery while setting up superpowers.
Ok I def agree with you now. I just had this battle to test out RestTalk, I've only used AV before but I like this better lol
9VHG-WWWW-WWX5-8948
yeah I know that's a free battle in 3v3 but I still love it
ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ REJOICE IN MALAMAR ヽ༼ຈل͜ຈ༽ノ

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)