Pokémon Malamar

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm dubious on Sticky Web actually being good for this thing.
Someone did a test involving a Contrary Malimar, Defiant Pawniard, Clear Body... Tentacruel IIRC, a flier, and a Pineco. It was effected by four out of the five of those (excepting the Pineco)

So I have been foolishly training my Malamar as a a Special Attacker, and he gets some okay options that would maybe work in lower tier play, like Psychoshock and Thunderbolt. You could maybe throw Hypnosis on him and... I dunno, Curse to get a Speed Boost? (Though that lowers your Defense so that's kinda stupid.)

I dunno. I don't see myself being able to salvage the mistake I've made. =(

So I have been foolishly training my Malamar as a a Special Attacker, and he gets some okay options that would maybe work in lower tier play, like Psychoshock and Thunderbolt. You could maybe throw Hypnosis on him and... I dunno, Curse to get a Speed Boost? (Though that lowers your Defense so that's kinda stupid.)

I dunno. I don't see myself being able to salvage the mistake I've made. =(
Its SpA is so much worse, there's just no merit competitively. Ingame, though, you could just hit a Reset Bag.

It's really too bad malamar's stats suck, its typing could have made it a cool niche counter and top tier threat.

Malamar has a BST of 470. That is too low for an OU pokemon that doesn't hit really hard immediately (breloom) or have good stat distribution (skarm). Don't forget that any special attacker can outspeed and KO more or less (it SpD is a marginally better than gengar's.) Also physical attackers. Don't forget about fairy types as well. Also U-turn will kill it. There is no way in hell this thing is going to be OU, UU might be optimistic tbh.

maybe a bulky set using assault vest. i think it can go just on the offense with its moveset
252 hp/ 252 def or spd and corresponding def or spD boosting nature.
assault vest
superpower
night slash
psycho cut
foul play
yes, no recovery but it should be able to take a few hits and knock out a pokemon or two

Malamar has a BST of 470. That is too low for an OU pokemon that doesn't hit really hard immediately (breloom) or have good stat distribution (skarm). Don't forget that any special attacker can outspeed and KO more or less (it SpD is a marginally better than gengar's.) Also physical attackers. Don't forget about fairy types as well. Also U-turn will kill it. There is no way in hell this thing is going to be OU, UU might be optimistic tbh.
Malamar might not make it into OU on his own merits, but if Sticky Web becomes prominent enough to propel Galvantula into OU, you can definitely expect to see some Malamars used in top tier play because of Contrary.

Does anyone have any idea how we get an inkay with contrary because suction cups is a little underwhelming

Does anyone have any idea how we get an inkay with contrary because suction cups is a little underwhelming
Contrary isn't a hidden ability, so just keep trying. If you do find a good suction cups one, there is an item called an ability capsule that switches between a pokemon's non-hidden abilities. It's just post-game and expensive.

I agree that Malamar's stats are too low for OU on it's own power (despite how cool Contrary superpower is) but could work depending on the environment around it. If sticky web goes crazy, it will show up more. I feel it will be more like Cresselia, outclassed in singles but a doubles goddess (or at least a great option).

Kinda bummed by the lack of talk about topsy-turvy. While the doubles options are clearer, it still sounds like a great phazing move in singles.

Just because it doesnt pose immediate threat doesnt mean it isnt dangerous. Malamar has so many niches that nothing else can run effectively. Contrary nearly made a 360 bst pokemon viable in NU even though it had only 60 attack to work with. Why wouldnt malamar have at peast an impact on OU if not significant enough usage for OU?

Sorry to bring the bad news, but I just bred a male Corsola with Recover along with a female Inkay. No Recover for Inkay.

ahhh i see idk she has a wierd typing personally i think she is at the very lleast aesthetically cool with some interesting ways of using her

This thing will just be a monster. Give it hypnosis, superpower, psycho cut, and night slash with a choice scarf and we have a sweeper on our hands.

This thing will just be a monster. Give it hypnosis, superpower, psycho cut, and night slash with a choice scarf and we have a sweeper on our hands.
First of all, if you give Malamar a Choice Scarf and he uses Hypnosis, he'll be locked into Hypnosis until he switches out.

Secondly, giving Malamar a Choice item of any kind would be a terrible waste of potential. He can only raise his attack via Contrary and Super Power, so either he'll be locked into an exploitable Fighting-type move or he'll be stuck using unboosted STAB moves.

Using Malamar against unsuspecting opponents in Rated battle spot battles. Superpower to stat up and you're good to go. Intimidate helps you. So does King's Shield. Coverage is pretty great.
Though I think it's partially that people don't understand what Malamar really... is... A Greninja tried to Psychic me. A Wobuffet used Mirror Coat. People haven't figured it out yet.

The one's who have though know to U-Turn ASAP. That hurts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)