Pokémon Malamar

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just checked what pokemon from previous gens learn sucker punch and i can't even find "would be parents". I guess we should give up on it.

Just checked what pokemon from previous gens learn sucker punch and i can't even find "would be parents". I guess we should give up on it.
If it's in the water egg groups, and unless one of the newer pokemon get it, I don't see it being possible until Pokémon Bank comes out.

for sucker punch Dugtrio >Ekans>Druddigon>Skrelp (if it can learn it) anybody know? Inkay its a lot of but maybe

Which possible fathers would we have when Pokémon Bank comes out?
Huntail, Lanturn, and Corsola have been mentioned. Give me a moment to look for the rest.

EDIT: Can you GET Ekans? If so, that's a long chain, and we'd need to check Skrelp as well.

EDIT 2: Just those three. They are the only water types to get the move by Gen5, and the only non water types in the Water 1 and Water 2 groups (which, according to Bulbapedia, Inkay and Malimar are in) are them and the Dratini family in 1.

Last edited:
If it's in the water egg groups, and unless one of the newer pokemon get it, I don't see it being possible until Pokémon Bank comes out.
That is what Im testing, the new pokemon on both his groups to check if their other groups can pass a sucker punch or if they learn.

You forgot RockSlide. It's a good coverage (can possibly flinch) and it's possibly handy against annoying bugs like Galvantula, who gives Malamar a speed boost thanks to Sticky Web (and then dispatch Galvantula with RockSlide).

In all... "Malamar from ContraRussia!"

I have so much hope for this guy to become OU. With Hammer Arm, we can get a solution to the speed issues, while Superpower might make it worthwhile to invest on SpD and make something like a Bulk Up Scrafty. Or is it viable to run both attacks in a single set?
Also, waiting for Sucker Punch!

ContraRussia (Malamar) @ Leftovers
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 128 Spe / 252 HP / 128 Atk or 4 Spe / 252 HP / 252 Atk (if the foe is not speed-invested)
Careful/Jolly nature
- Night Slash
- Psycho Cut
- Superpower
- Rock Slide

...le reaction when Malamar steps le Sticky Web.

--------------------

Notes: (help me with some of yours)

-Contrarussian Malamar loves Intimidators (except something like U-Turn Staraptor);
-Contrarussian Malamar loves Sticky Webs;
-Any one doing Baby-Doll Eyes or Charm threads? ...Contrarussian Malamar loves them too;
-Contrarussian Malamar hates Fairies and Bugs very much (Bugs need to be squashed with RockSlide);
-Contrarussian Malamar hates SWAGG, since all that Swagger lowers it's attack along with JustinBieber makes it very confused;
-Contrarussian Malamar loves Acid Spray;
-Contrarussian Malamar loves King's Shield;
-Contrarussian Malamar loves Parting Shot;
-Contrarussian Malamar loves things like Icy Wind, Bulldoze and Low Sweep;
-Contrarussian Malamar hates Unaware Quagsire;
-Contrarussian Malamar loves Memento... to nuke next turn;

Last edited:
I'm dying to start breeding a Malamar but i'm not sure if i should wait for the confirmation on sucker punch or hammer arm. Was Rock slide confirmed for Malamar or was it just an idea?

Maybe a SpDefensive set could be usefull?
Malamar (M) @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 244 SDef / 12 Spd
Careful Nature

Maybe not for singles, but doubles ou triples..

I'm really liking a gimmick like this becoming a viable strategy, unforunately this thing seems like it will be vunerable to Volcorona, Crobat and Scizor.

ContraRussia (Malamar) @ Leftovers
EVs: 128 Spe / 252 HP / 128 Atk or 4 Spe / 252 HP / 252 Atk (if the foe is not speed-invested)
Careful/Jolly nature
- Night Slash
- Psycho Cut
- Superpower
- Rock Slide

...le reaction when Malamar steps le Sticky Web.

--------------------

Notes: (help me with some of yours)

-Contrarussian Malamar loves Intimidators (except something like U-Turn Staraptor);
-Contrarussian Malamar loves Sticky Webs;
-Any one doing Baby-Doll Eyes or Charm threads? ...Contrarussian Malamar loves them too;
-Contrarussian Malamar hates Fairies and Bugs very much (Bugs need to be squashed with RockSlide);
-Contrarussian Malamar hates SWAGG, since all that Swagger lowers it's attack along with JustinBieber makes it very confused;
-Contrarussian Malamar loves Acid Spray;
-Contrarussian Malamar loves King's Shield;
-Contrarussian Malamar loves Parting Shot;
-Contrarussian Malamar loves things like Icy Wind, Bulldoze and Low Sweep;
-Contrarussian Malamar hates Unaware Quagsire;
-Contrarussian Malamar loves Memento... to nuke next turn;
So if the opponent is speed invested (which it will most likely be) Would the way to go nature be Jolly to take advantage of contrary+sticky web? or could careful work too?

EDIT:I did some calculations (i'm extremely new at this so i'm very sorry if this is wrong) but the 128 speed EV spread won't be enough to outspeed a speed invested galvantula unless our Malamar jolly one.

With max IVs and your EV investment in speed for a careful Malamar he'd be at 214 speed + 50% of the stage lowering sticky web (again i'm sorry if i'm wrong here) that would take him to 321 speed while Galvantula sits at 346.

EDIT2: After some more calculations i think 196-200 EVs in speed for the careful nature Malamar would be enough to outspeed galvantula with max investment in speed (+speed nature included). Also please note i used the base stats found in serebii's Pokedex again i'm sorry if this is all wrong.

Last edited:
So if the opponent is speed invested (which it will most likely be) Would the way to go nature be Jolly to take advantage of contrary+sticky web? or could careful work too?

EDIT:I did some calculations (i'm extremely new at this so i'm very sorry if this is wrong) but the 128 speed EV spread won't be enough to outspeed a speed invested galvantula unless our Malamar jolly one.

With max IVs and your EV investment in speed for a careful Malamar he'd be at 214 speed + 50% of the stage lowering sticky web (again i'm sorry if i'm wrong here) that would take him to 321 speed while Galvantula sits at 346.

EDIT2: After some more calculations i think 196-200 EVs in speed for the careful nature Malamar would be enough to outspeed galvantula with max investment in speed (+speed nature included). Also please note i used the base stats found in serebii's Pokedex again i'm sorry if this is all wrong.
On Showdown Malamar has a base speed of 70 and hits 228 speed at 252+ and 342 with a scarf . Galvantula max+ has 346 speed. So scarf Malamar can outspeed Modest Galvantula (assuming it's not scarfed of course) but not Timid. I don't think base stats are confirmed yet though, so if Malamar does end up being slightly faster, it will outspeed Galvantula when it's scarfed.

I decided to run with RestTalk Malamar, but I will still test the attacks. Egg Group make him only able to learn sucker punch through the Dragon's group, by Dragalge. Im soon going to test a male Ekans with Sucker Punch with a female Dragalge. Post the results ASAP.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)