1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Mamoswine

Discussion in 'BW OU' started by Sayonara, Jun 22, 2012.

1. FrostFire

FrostFire

Personally, I don't like the Multi-Hit moves on any pokemon that doesn't have either Skill Link or Technician. Part of the reason for this is that the chances of hitting 4 or 5 times is actually relatively small:

2 Hits = 37.5% or 3/8 chance
    3 Hits = 37.5% or 3/8 chance
    4 Hits = 12.5% or 1/8 chance
    5 Hits = 12.5% or 1/8 chance

This essentially means that 75% of the time, Icicle Crash will be stronger (and you also have that flinch chance). I mean, I guess I see the utility Spear, what with hitting through subs and such, and IC's 90% accuracy can be a bit annoying. Nonetheless, I feel that Icicle Crash's more reliable power output still makes it the superior choice. Plus, I also feel that IC is generally strong enough for Mamoswine's purposes; and while Spear can give you incredible damage sometimes, it's also liable to let you down at the worst possible moment.

Just my opinion though.
  2. Magik

Magik

Welcome!
    Just remember its a pretty good set but it still gets walled by a couple of things like skarm and rotom-w (sometimes politoed D:)...so be sure to bring other pokes for them
    :D
  3. shofly12

shofly12

The main reason I would use Spear is to hit through subs (nice, if you let them get one up), and hit through Multiscale Dnite in one go. Although I suppose against Dnite, you could use Crash, and then Ice Shard for the kill. But, hitting through subs is still nice (something like sub CM Lati@)
  4. DrunkDemon

DrunkDemon

I've been theorymoning an offensive core of Mamo/Magnezone/Kingdra, and it seems like it would work pretty well. Kingdra and Mamoswine are both very anti-meta pokes, and check a large portion of the metagame together. The problem with these too is a weakness to Steels, so Magnezone fixes this problem, forming a pseudo-2Drag1Mag core. Any opinions/criticism?
  5. Ames

Ames

It is (was) a very solid core - a team using this was featured in the smog not long ago.

I tried it along with Azelf, Landorus and scarfed Metagross (which catches so many people of gaurd) and had quite a lot of success with it.
  6. Griff

Griff

i've used kingdra zone and its worked well, mamo is a great poke so imagine it could work too.
  7. Bribery

Bribery

I prefer Icicle Spear by far. imo the utility outweighs the slight extra power/flinch rate from Icicle Crash. It hits through Substitute, Multiscale, and Focus Sashes. It can prevent Mamoswine from getting trapped by Focus Sash/Reversal Dugtrio for example.

Yeah it's very effective actually. I paired them with Latios on my team since it does a great job of luring out Ferrothorn, one of the best checks to Kingdra. Mamoswine can scare away specially defensive Heatran/Jirachi that commonly switch into Latios (watch out for Lava Plume obviously).
  8. Doughboy

Doughboy house of champions
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Community Contributor Alumnus
    Mentor

Icicle Spear is useless for Multiscale since you OHKO through Multiscale anyway with Icicle Crash, even bulky Dragonite doesn't stand a chance 87% of the time. I can't really think of anything that uses Focus Sash that you would want to hit with an Ice attack other than Dugtrio. Speaking of Dugtrio no Dugtrio will ever tempt to try trap Mamoswine in fear of Ice Shard. Ussually the teams with Dugtrio on them also uses it for SR, so if they wanted to trap Mamoswine, they have to spend that turn killing with Reversal (since ussually the just go to sash immediatly) or setting up SR, but it can't do both. So killing duggy is out.

The only real use for Icicle Spear is to kill SubDD Dragonite, SubToxic Gliscor, and Substitute Landorus (all behind subs).

I beleive you guys are forgetting the significance of using Icicle Crash: killing Skarmory. Much like Gyarados, Skarmory can not reliably Roost stall or stay in Mamoswine to set up Spikes due to that nasty 30% flinch chance. I think getting by one your best checks/walls and potentially abusing the flinch chance with paralysis support is much more valuable than covering some fringe threats.
  9. shrang

shrang I AM CHAMPION CHRISTMAS!!
    is a Contributor to Smogonis a Battle Server Moderatoris a Tiering Contributor Alumnus

Heh, you wouldn't be surprised by how many Skarmorys I've flinched to death with Mamoswine, lol.
  10. alexwolf

alexwolf Fear the D
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon

While 3hkoing Skarmory is cool and all, you should never leave the Skarmory killing duty to Mamo anyway, since it is so unreliable. Jolly LO Mamo for example only has a 15% chance to 3hko Skarmory after SR factoring in Icicle Crash's accuracy (all 3 Icicle Crashes have 73% chance of connecting, Skarmory has 69% chance to get 3hkoed after SR, and the second Icicle Crash has 30% chance to flinch Skarmory so we have 73%*69%*30%~15%). I prefer being able to ohko all those carefree Sub mons, that think they can land a hit on me before getting forced out, and the perfect accuracy of Icicle Spear.

SubPunch Breloom, SubPlot Thundurus-T(which runs HP Ice most of the time), SubDD Nite, ParaShuffle Dnite, Sub Landorus (both formes), SubGliscor, SubDisable Gengar (situational but can help you in tight situations if Focus Blast misses) and Sub Latias are all foes that get fucked up by Icicle Spear, because so many people are not expecting it. Also killing Dugtrio in one shot is always nice (eg the opposing Dugtrio tries to trap your Shed Shell Ttar and uses Sub to go to Reversal range, while you switch to Mamo and ohko with Icicle Spear).
  11. Electrolyte

Electrolyte On a short LoA
    is an official Team Rateris a Contributor to Smogonis a Smogon Media Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator
    Mentor

Another duo I've seen a bunch of people do is Mamo+Amoo under hail. They work together well, but they require a water type (kingdra lol) to take fire for them. Here's how they synergize:
    covered by Mamo:
    -wall-breaking dragons
    -flying types that love to drop bombs below (lol)
    -other grass walls
    -steel types

covered by Amoonguss:
    -twave to help with mamo's slow speed
    -bulky water walls
    -fighting types (well, not really, but it can wall them all day)
    -can but threats to sleep

Their synergy isn't perfect, but it's very good.
  12. Groombridge

Groombridge

I've had Mamo trapped by Sash Reversal Dugtrio a couple of times. It has to get in cleanly at 100% following a Mamo kill. Everyone expects Mamo to use Ice Shard to KO Dugtrio first, so the Dugtrio player selects Reversal. If Mamo uses Ice Shard, it knocks Dugtrio down to the sash and 200BP Reversal is instant death. Dugtrio can then attempt a sweep.

However, if you use Icicle Spear, Dugtrio outspeeds and goes first with a lol 20BP Reversal - before getting obliterated by Icicle Spear through its sash. You could do the same thing using Icicle Crash, except that Dugtrio would survive with its sash, and it could switch out before Ice Shard finished it off. Minor difference, but there it is. Sometimes Dugtrio players try to use Mamo's priority against it.
  13. SapphSabre777

SapphSabre777

With Garchomp (according to many) looking to come down to OU, it will benefit Mamoswine's usage. Ice Shard from Life Orb Mamo OHKO's Chomp.
  14. Superpowerdude

Superpowerdude A sunflower holds its head up high!
    is an official Team Rateris a Smogon Media Contributor
    Mentor

Although a bit late just talking about Mamoswine+Magnezone core this core works great with a dragon type sweeper due to most ou dragons carrying a fighting resist. Mamoswine also takes ot dragon types. while magnezone takes out steels two big threats to dragons. I use that core with a SubCM Latias and in actual fact i rmt'd the team because of its great results.

While this might not have much to do about Mamoswine as a pokemon we all already know he is a good offensive threat and checks dragons and the therians. From personal experience in using mamoswine i find that he fits on a lot of my teams easy and is a great "glue" for alot of my teams when i am figuring out what threatens my team Mamoswine usaully solves alot of those problems (dragon check, therian check,etc)

i apologise if there are alot of spelling errors in this post because i am on my phone
  15. probationsmack

probationsmack

I've found scarf adamant mamo has helped me out in certain situations. Basically its fast enough to spear through fast sub users who opt to attack for a ko (surf latias) and instead get wrecked before getting their attack in. Has a nice surprise factor in general actually.
  16. A Fhaol Bhig

A Fhaol Bhig

Bumping to express my support. Scarf Mamo has saved me in so many matches due to being able to revenge kill with Icicle Crash. Great surprise factor against Gaychomp.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)