Manaphy (Bulky Calm Mind)

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I'm kind of surprised that Calm Mind is not mentioned in the current Manaphy analysis. It really does have some potential. So here's mah set:

http://www.smogon.com/dp/pokemon/manaphy

[SET]
name: Bulky Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Rest
move 3: Surf
move 4: Ice Beam / Grass Knot
item: Leftovers
ability: Hydration
nature: Timid
evs: 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set aims to utilize Manaphy's decent bulk to pull off a slow sweep. The idea is to switch into a Pokemon who can't really threaten Manaphy and set up a Calm Mind. From there, Calm Mind up and Rest off damage when Manaphy's HP gets low. Even after just one Calm Mind, Manaphy manages to survive many attacks with plenty of HP to spare, allowing it to continue to use Calm Mind and Rest until it is powerful enough to sweep. Manaphy is also able to take physical hits reasonably well. For instance, it can survive an unboosted Garchomp's Outrage and KO back with Ice Beam. The combination of Calm Mind and Rest is obviously the crux of this set, while Surf is Manaphy's STAB move, which is bolstered further by the rain that Kyogre provides. The last move is for coverage. Ice Beam KOes Rayquaza who can nullify the weather, and hence remove Manaphy's ability to Rest. Ice Beam also hits Dragon-type Pokemon like Garchomp, Giratina, Latias, and Latios for super effective damage while allowing Manaphy to hit Dialga and Palkia for neutral damage. Grass Knot is for Kyogre switch-ins. Here are a few damage calculations to demonstrate Manaphy's ability to take hits:</p>

<ul class="damage_calculation">
<li>Neutral 252 SpA Kyogre, Palkia, Dialga Thunder vs +1 Manaphy: 48.02% - 56.93%</li>
<li>Neutral 204 SpA Latias Thunder vs +1 Manaphy: 55.45% - 65.35%</li>
<li>Neutral 252 SpA Latios Thunder vs +1 Manaphy: 64.85% - 76.73%</li>
</ul>

<p>As shown above, after a Calm Mind, Manaphy can take on quite a lot of special attacks and Rest off the damage while continuing to build up Calm Minds. It should be noted, however, that Latias and Latios can Calm Mind alongside Manaphy, and Shaymin-S can easily remove the Special Defense boosts gained through Calm Mind with Seed Flare.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>The EVs are relatively simple; max Speed allows Manaphy to tie with Palkia and Salamence. Max HP is used for bulk, while the rest go into Special Attack. Like all Manaphy sets, this set requires rain support from Kyogre. Hydration coupled with Rest is what makes Manaphy so deadly, and without it, Manaphy is rather weak and lacks recovery. A bulky Kyogre with Thunder Wave is best for Calm Mind Manaphy, as Kyogre being able to survive most of a match is critical. Thunder Wave Kyogre can also lure out and cripple many of Manaphy's counters, like Latias and Palkia. The hard-hitting Choice Specs Kyogre also fit alongside Manaphy, with Kyogre breaking down special walls with its insanely powerful attacks so Manaphy can clean up later. It should be noted that Kyogre and Manaphy have the same typing, and therefore, the same weaknesses. Swords Dance Garchomp, Latias, and Dialga are great Pokemon to switch into Electric-type attacks with their ability to set up on them.</p>

<p>Automatic weather-inducers (Groudon, Tyranitar, and to an extent Rayquaza) will obviously cause problems for Manaphy, especially if they switch in while Manaphy Rests. Groudon can be lured using Mixed Bulk Up Dialga, who can draw in Groudon and proceed to KO it with Draco Meteor. Garchomp can check any Tyranitar without Ice Beam. Rayquaza is only dangerous should it catch Manaphy Resting, so a Choice Scarf Garchomp or Palkia is sufficient to check it. Manaphy will also has issues with other Pokemon who can Calm Mind alongside it. Kyogre, Latias, Latios, and Giratina can Calm Mind alongside Manaphy and eventually strike it down. Teammates who can defeat such opponents will greatly help Manaphy set up and sweep. Calm Mind Latias can switch into Calm Mind Kyogre and Calm Mind alongside it. Latias and Latios are best defeated by Pursuit users. Tyranitar is generally not a good idea, as its Sand Stream ability will kill the rain that Manaphy desperately needs. Scizor and Metagross are probably the best Pursuit users to use alongside Manaphy, as they resist the Dragon-type STAB moves from Latias and Latios and can Pursuit them to death. Beware, however, that Thunder from either of them can 2HKO both Scizor and Metagross.</p>

Snorlaxe

2 kawaii 4 u
is a Top Contributor Alumnus
[SET]
name: Bulky Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Rest
move 3: Surf
move 4: Ice Beam / Grass Knot
item: Leftovers
ability: Hydration
nature: Timid
evs: 252 HP / 80 SpD / 176 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>This set aims to utilize Manaphy's decent bulk to pull off a slow sweep. The idea is to come into a Pokemon who can't really threaten Manaphy and set up a Calm Mind. From there, Calm Mind up and Rest off damage when Manaphy's HP gets low. Even after just one Calm Mind, Manaphy manages to survive many attacks with plenty of HP to spare, allowing it to continue to use Calm Mind and Rest until it is powerful enough to sweep. Manaphy is also able to take physical hits reasonably well, so it can also set up on unboosted physical attacks. Calm Mind and Rest are obviously the crux of this set, while Surf is Manaphy's STAB move, which is bolstered further by the rain that Kyogre provides. The last move is for coverage. Ice Beam KOes Rayquaza who would can nullify the weather, and hence removes Manaphy's ability to Rest. Ice Beam also hits Dragon-types like Garchomp, Giratina, Latias, and Latios for super effective damage while allowing Manaphy to hit Dialga and Palkia for neutral damage. Note that Surf in the rain does more than a neutral Ice Beam to Dialga. Grass Knot is for Kyogre and Groudon switch-ins. Here's a few damage calculations to demonstrate Manaphy's ability to take hits:</p>

<ul class=”damage_calculation”>
<li>Neutral 252 SpA Kyogre, Palkia, Dialga Thunder vs +1 Manaphy: 41.58% - 49.01%</li>
<li>Neutral 204 SpA Latias Thunder vs +1 Manaphy: 47.52% - 56.44%</li>
<li>Neutral 252 SpA Latios Thunder vs +1 Manaphy: 55.45% - 65.35%</li>
<li>Neutral 252 SpA Shaymin-S Seed Flare vs +1 Manaphy: 52.48% - 62.38%</li>
</ul>

<p>As shown above, after a Calm Mind, Manaphy can take on quite a lot of special attacks and Rest off the damage while continuing to build up Calm Minds. It should be noted, however, that Latias and Latios can easily Calm Mind alongside Manaphy, and Shaymin-S can easily mitigate the Special Attack boosts gained through Calm Mind with Seed Flare.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>The EVs given allow for Manaphy to outspeed the common positive nature base 90s as well as Adamant Rayquaza and Lucario. The rest of the EVs allow Manaphy to be as bulky as possible.</p>

<p>Like all Manaphy sets, this set requires rain support from Kyogre. RainRest is the one thing that makes Manaphy so deadly. Without the rain, Manaphy would have reduced Water STAB and no recovery. However, while the use of Kyogre is pretty much compulsory alongside Manaphy, one should still decide which Kyogre to use. A bulky Kyogre like Calm Mind + RestTalk is usually preferred, simply because Manaphy likes Kyogre lasting long enough to support it. However, a hard hitting variant like Choice Specs can easily go alongside Manaphy, Kyogre being able to break down special walls with its insanely powerful attacks so Manaphy can clean up later.</p>

<p>Automatic weather-inducers (Groudon, Tyranitar, and to an extent Rayquaza) will obviously cause problems for Manaphy, especially if they switch in while Manaphy Rests. Groudon can be lured using Mixed Bulk Up Dialga, who can draw in Groudon and proceed to KO it with Draco Meteor. Garchomp can check any Tyranitar without Ice Beam. Rayquaza would only be dangerous should it catch Manaphy Resting, so a Choice Scarf Garchomp or Palkia can check a Dragon Dance Rayquaza (While Manaphy can revenge Swords Dance variants).</p>

<p>This Manaphy set will have problems with other Pokemon who can Calm Mind alongside it. Calm Mind RestTalk Kyogre, Latias, Latios, and Giratina can Calm Mind alongside Manaphy and eventually strike it down. Teammates who can defeat such opponents will greatly help Manaphy set up and sweep. Calm Mind Latias can switch into Calm Mind Kyogre and Calm Mind alongside it. Latias and Latios are best defeated by Pursuiting them to death. Tyranitar is generally not a good idea, as its Sand Stream ability will cut away at the rain that Manaphy really wants. Scizor and Metagross are probably the best Pursuiters to work alongside Manaphy, as they resist the Dragon-type moves that Latias and Latios deal out and can Pursuit them to death. Beware, however, that Thunder from either of them (in particular Latios) will 2HKO both Scizor and Metagaross.</p>

<p>It should be noted that Kyogre and Manaphy have the same typing, therefore, the same weaknesses. Swords Dance Garchomp is a great Pokemon to switch into Choiced Electric attacks and set up. Latias is also a good Pokemon to switch into dangerous Electric attacks aimed at the Kyogre and Manaphy pair. Dialga can also switch into Thunder and use Bulk Up in preparation for a sweep. Grass attacks are not too common in Ubers, but again, Latias and Dialga are excellent switch-ins to attacks like Seed Flare coming from Shaymin-S.</p>

I would say that Grass Knot is pretty much just for Kyogre, not Kyogre and Groudon. First of all, people will only send in Groudon on a predicted Rest. Secondly, Ice Beam hits it hard enough. Other than that, good analysis, and I'll work through the prose later.

Komodo

Huff
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Even after just one Calm Mind, Manaphy manages to survive many attacks with plenty of HP to spare, allowing it to continue with Calm Mind and Rest until it's powerful enough to sweep. Manaphy can also able to take physical hits reasonably well, so it can also set up on unboosted physical attacks.
Scizor and Metagross are probably the best Pursuiters to work alongside Manaphy, as they resist the Dragon-type moves that Latias and Latios deal out and can hit them with Pursuit (you use "pursuit to death" again and it sounds repetetive).
I have a few small changes that make the sentences sound better :P Blue is a change and red is a removal.

Just a thought, but wouldn't you be better off with some defense evs to take physical hits. After a couple calm minds you should be able to take special hits well, but reyquaza and deoxys could screw you over with E-speed

Theorymon

Long Live Super Mario Maker! 2015-2024
is a Site Content Manageris a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Pokemon Researcheris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I moved this to quality control because me and Jibaku are unsure of its viability. I will test this set asap.

Your seriously asking how anything handles the most unpredictable pokemon in the game(I could wobbuffet as unpredictable because you can't "prepare" for it)?

Your seriously asking how anything handles the most unpredictable pokemon in the game(I could wobbuffet as unpredictable because you can't "prepare" for it)?
Fair point about wobbuffet and even Mewtwo.

But I am curious about Palkia and Dialga; they both seem to wall this set pretty well and Dialga has some powerful physical STAB. Yet neither are mentioned in the analysis as a weakness of this set.

Mind you, I like Mewtwo, Wobbuffet, and Dialga a lot and use them in quite a few Ubers matches, so my usage drives my curiosity. Especially Wobbuffet, which I may want to send out against +1 calm mind Manaphy in the rain. If I do that, I'm curious to know if I can expect to be two-hit KO'd or if I can encore the first turn and mirror coat the second.

shrang

General Kenobi
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Just a thought, but wouldn't you be better off with some defense evs to take physical hits. After a couple calm minds you should be able to take special hits well, but reyquaza and deoxys could screw you over with E-speed
It is very, very difficult to OHKO Manaphy with a physical attack. Lonely Giratina-O's Outrage does 71% tops. The Special Defense EVs are there so stuff like Palkia and Dialga (Who don't have Life Orb or Specs) cannot 2HKO when Manaphy is at +1. Although, the SpD is more there for insurance, since most of the time they will fail to 2HKO as you boost up +2 and then Rest off the damage anyway. Adamant +2 Rayquaza fails to OHKO with Extremespeed (And that's with SR and a layer of Spikes, assuming Manaphy had Leftovers recovery on the Spikes).

I moved this to quality control because me and Jibaku are unsure of its viability. I will test this set asap.
Sure, go ahead. You could try 252 HP/80 SpA/176 Spe as the EV spread as well, it's one I've been using and many teams have been swept by this thing. It's not a gimmick =D. You can check out my RMT to see how it's played: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70511
It's a pity I haven't saved any logs, though. I can try gather up a few. It's sort of like an extension to Philip7086's Suspect Manaphy, which was Rain Dance/Surf/Calm Mind/Rest (The infamous CroPhy).

Fair point about wobbuffet and even Mewtwo.

But I am curious about Palkia and Dialga; they both seem to wall this set pretty well and Dialga has some powerful physical STAB. Yet neither are mentioned in the analysis as a weakness of this set.

Mind you, I like Mewtwo, Wobbuffet, and Dialga a lot and use them in quite a few Ubers matches, so my usage drives my curiosity. Especially Wobbuffet, which I may want to send out against +1 calm mind Manaphy in the rain. If I do that, I'm curious to know if I can expect to be two-hit KO'd or if I can encore the first turn and mirror coat the second.
Well Wobb is always a bitch, unless you've CM'd up to like +3, you're not going to OHKO him. Mewtwo is usually not a problem. Taunt/CM lacks staying power, so at +1 (Or +2), you're going to be killing him before he kills you. Life Orb attacker is setup fodder unless it carries Selfdestruct or Thunder, which will NOT be OHKOing, and you can just Rest off the damage done by Selfdestruct anyway. StallTwo can't do anything to Manaphy apart from stalling you out of a lot of PP, I guess, but other than that, it can't do anything to Manaphy in the Rain because WoW and Toxic Spikes get neutered by Hydration (And if you have Toxic Spikes up, it's Mewtwo whose losing). Trick Mewtwo can screw this up, but Trick screws up a lot of bulky setups sweepers anyway.

Dialga and Palkia, if not holding Specs (Which a lot of them are) or maybe Life Orb, is utter setup fodder for Manaphy. As I've shown with the calculations, unboosted Thunder doesn't even 2HKO at +1, allowing Manaphy to just Calm Mind up, Rest off the damage and continue boosting (Unless they crit). Then you can just kill Dialga with Surf or Palkia with Ice Beam.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
I just want to say that this set is AWESOME, and outclasses the tail glow set in every which way possible. I would only use Tail Glow in OU, but Manaphy is banned there...

Also, I think you should suggest placing 216 Speed EVs to outspeed Jolly Max Speed Rayquaza. Getting hit with outrage is never fun, and this could prevent it.

It is very, very difficult to OHKO Manaphy with a physical attack. Lonely Giratina-O's Outrage does 71% tops. The Special Defense EVs are there so stuff like Palkia and Dialga (Who don't have Life Orb or Specs) cannot 2HKO when Manaphy is at +1. Although, the SpD is more there for insurance, since most of the time they will fail to 2HKO as you boost up +2 and then Rest off the damage anyway. Adamant +2 Rayquaza fails to OHKO with Extremespeed (And that's with SR and a layer of Spikes, assuming Manaphy had Leftovers recovery on the Spikes).

Sure, go ahead. You could try 252 HP/80 SpA/176 Spe as the EV spread as well, it's one I've been using and many teams have been swept by this thing. It's not a gimmick =D. You can check out my RMT to see how it's played: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=70511
It's a pity I haven't saved any logs, though. I can try gather up a few. It's sort of like an extension to Philip7086's Suspect Manaphy, which was Rain Dance/Surf/Calm Mind/Rest (The infamous CroPhy).

Well Wobb is always a bitch, unless you've CM'd up to like +3, you're not going to OHKO him. Mewtwo is usually not a problem. Taunt/CM lacks staying power, so at +1 (Or +2), you're going to be killing him before he kills you. Life Orb attacker is setup fodder unless it carries Selfdestruct or Thunder, which will NOT be OHKOing, and you can just Rest off the damage done by Selfdestruct anyway. StallTwo can't do anything to Manaphy apart from stalling you out of a lot of PP, I guess, but other than that, it can't do anything to Manaphy in the Rain because WoW and Toxic Spikes get neutered by Hydration (And if you have Toxic Spikes up, it's Mewtwo whose losing). Trick Mewtwo can screw this up, but Trick screws up a lot of bulky setups sweepers anyway.

Dialga and Palkia, if not holding Specs (Which a lot of them are) or maybe Life Orb, is utter setup fodder for Manaphy. As I've shown with the calculations, unboosted Thunder doesn't even 2HKO at +1, allowing Manaphy to just Calm Mind up, Rest off the damage and continue boosting (Unless they crit). Then you can just kill Dialga with Surf or Palkia with Ice Beam.
Nice, thanks for the info!

As a Wobbuffet user, I am curious as to whether Wobbuffet can be two-hit KO'd by a singly boosted surf, as if it's a three hit KO, I can safely encore the manaphy into mirror coat. If it's a two hit KO, then encore has quite a few risks attached. Other than that, it's good to know that my resists are set-up fodder.

shrang

General Kenobi
Using the current written set, +1 Surf in the Rain does 43.37% - 51.14%, which has about a 50-50 chance of 2HKOing after SR and Leftovers. I should probably put those 80 EVs into SpA, I guess, as the one I'm using (Not the exact one on the set), is 252 HP/80 SpA/176 Spe, which does 50.57% - 59.66%, a guaranteed 2HKO.

Using the current written set, +1 Surf in the Rain does 43.37% - 51.14%, which has about a 50-50 chance of 2HKOing after SR and Leftovers. I should probably put those 80 EVs into SpA, I guess, as the one I'm using (Not the exact one on the set), is 252 HP/80 SpA/176 Spe, which does 50.57% - 59.66%, a guaranteed 2HKO.
Yeah, that would definitely do my wobbuffet in.

Although I have to ask, why do you differ from your own set?

shrang

General Kenobi
I'm not sure, but with those EVs you are guarnteed not to get 2HKO'd by Thunder from Scarf Palkia and friends (Although with my set it was VERY unlikely to get 2HKO'd if you boosted up to +2 anyway). It also allows you to survive Seed Flare from Shaymin-S, as demonstrated above and OHKO back with Ice Beam. Oh well, I'll change the EVs back because it seems better.

Okay I changed the EV spread back to one I'm using, since it allows you to 2HKO Wobb after SR (Meaning you can play Encore/Mirror Coat mind games with it). It also allows Manaphy to pack a bit more power. The old EVs were sort of like an insurance really, but the new ones have very little chance to get 2HKO'd by Scarf Thunder as you go to +2 anyway.

shrang

General Kenobi
Sorry about the double post, but I'm going to bump this thread with a few logs.
It's been pretty hard to get logs, because so many people ragequit!! I can record ragequits if you want, but it was pretty hard to get viable logs, either due to i) Manaphy not doing anything because something else swept, ii) Opponent saw Manaphy get to the point of no return and ragequitting. I've seen one or two other people use the same Manaphy now as well (I lost against one using my own Manaphy because he critted my Manaphy at +6 and paralysed Latias earlier), so a message to those using this set: Don't be afraid to post your own logs either!!

Rules: Ladder Match, Sleep Clause, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Evasion Clause, Species Clause, Strict Damage Clause
shrang sent out TWILIGHT SUCKS (lvl 100 Forretress ?).
Wind2008 sent out Zoom (lvl 100 Deoxys-e).
Zoom is exerting its pressure!
Zoom used Stealth Rock.
Pointed stones float in the air around the foe's team!
TWILIGHT SUCKS used Payback.
It's super effective!
Zoom lost 68% of its health.
---
Zoom used Taunt.
TWILIGHT SUCKS fell for the taunt!
TWILIGHT SUCKS used Rapid Spin.
TWILIGHT SUCKS blew away the pointed stones!
Zoom lost 6% of its health.
---
Zoom used Stealth Rock.
Zoom lost 6% of its health.
---
Zoom used Stealth Rock.
Zoom lost 7% of its health.
TWILIGHT SUCKS's taunt wore off!
---
Zoom used Taunt.
TWILIGHT SUCKS fell for the taunt!
TWILIGHT SUCKS used Toxic Spikes.
TWILIGHT SUCKS can't use Toxic Spikes after the taunt!
---
Wind2008 switched in Palkia (lvl 100 Palkia).
Palkia is exerting its pressure!
Palkia lost 5% of its health.
---
shrang switched in TWILIGHT SUCKS (lvl 100 Kyogre).
TWILIGHT SUCKS's Drizzle caused a storm!
Rain began to fall!
Palkia used Surf.
It's not very effective...
TWILIGHT SUCKS lost 33% of its health.
The rain continues to fall.
TWILIGHT SUCKS's leftovers restored its health a little!
TWILIGHT SUCKS restored 6% of its health.
---
shrang switched in TWILIGHT SUCKS (lvl 100 Latias ?).
Palkia used Thunder.
TWILIGHT SUCKS lost 13% of its health.
---
TWILIGHT SUCKS used Dragon Pulse.
It's super effective!
Palkia lost 95% of its health.
Wind2008's Palkia fainted.
---
Wind2008 switched in HATE ME (lvl 100 Wobbuffet ?).
HATE ME lost 40% of its health.
HATE ME used Encore.
TWILIGHT SUCKS got an encore!
HATE ME's leftovers restored its health a little!
HATE ME restored 6% of its health.
---
HATE ME lost 43% of its health.
HATE ME used Mirror Coat.
TWILIGHT SUCKS lost 87% of its health.
shrang's TWILIGHT SUCKS fainted.
HATE ME's leftovers restored its health a little!
HATE ME restored 6% of its health.
---
TWILIGHT SUCKS used Surf.
HATE ME lost 30% of its health.
Wind2008's HATE ME fainted.
---
Wind2008 switched in Zoom (lvl 100 Deoxys-e).
shrang switched in TWILIGHT SUCKS (lvl 100 Forretress ?).
Zoom used Stealth Rock.
---
Wind2008 switched in OGAH (lvl 100 Kyogre).
OGAH's Drizzle caused a storm!
A critical hit!
OGAH lost 10% of its health.
OGAH's leftovers restored its health a little!
OGAH restored 6% of its health.
---
OGAH used Calm Mind.
OGAH's special attack was raised.
OGAH's special defence was raised.
Toxic Spikes were scattered around the foe's team!
OGAH restored 4% of its health.
---
OGAH used Calm Mind.
OGAH's special attack was raised.
OGAH's special defence was raised.
---
OGAH used Thunder.
It's super effective!
TWILIGHT SUCKS lost 86% of its health.
---
shrang switched in TWILIGHT SUCKS (lvl 100 Dialga).
TWILIGHT SUCKS is exerting its pressure!
OGAH used Ice Beam.
TWILIGHT SUCKS lost 76% of its health.
TWILIGHT SUCKS used Outrage.
TWILIGHT SUCKS went on a rampage!
OGAH lost 69% of its health.
TWILIGHT SUCKS lost 10% of its health.
---
OGAH used Ice Beam.
TWILIGHT SUCKS lost 14% of its health.
---
shrang switched in TWILIGHT SUCKS (lvl 100 Garchomp ?).
OGAH lost 43% of its health.
Wind2008's OGAH fainted.
---
Wind2008 switched in Zoom (lvl 100 Deoxys-e).
Zoom was poisoned!
Zoom was poisoned by the Toxic Spikes!
TWILIGHT SUCKS is trapped!
Zoom used Extremespeed.
TWILIGHT SUCKS lost 23% of its health.
Zoom lost 12% of its health.
Wind2008's Zoom fainted.
TWILIGHT SUCKS's rampage ended.
TWILIGHT SUCKS became confused!
---
Wind2008 switched in Streak (lvl 100 Scizor ?).
Streak used U-turn.
TWILIGHT SUCKS lost 18% of its health.
Wind2008 switched in Azn Mexican (lvl 100 Rayquaza).
---
shrang switched in TWILIGHT SUCKS (lvl 100 Manaphy).
Azn Mexican used Swords Dance.
Azn Mexican's attack was sharply raised.
---
Azn Mexican used Extremespeed.
TWILIGHT SUCKS lost 70% of its health.
Azn Mexican lost 10% of its health.
TWILIGHT SUCKS used Ice Beam.
It's super effective!
Azn Mexican lost 90% of its health.
Wind2008's Azn Mexican fainted.
---
Wind2008 switched in Streak (lvl 100 Scizor ?).
Streak used Bullet Punch.
TWILIGHT SUCKS used Rest.
TWILIGHT SUCKS fell asleep!
TWILIGHT SUCKS restored 82% of its health.
TWILIGHT SUCKS's status was cured!
---
Wind2008: gg
shrang: gg
Wind2008 has left the room.
shrang wins!

This is a perfect example of what usually happens. They see Manaphy isn't going to be taken down, so they ragequit.

Rules: Ladder Match, Sleep Clause, Freeze Clause, OHKO Clause, Evasion Clause, Species Clause, Strict Damage Clause
funkytown sent out Rayquaza (lvl 100 Rayquaza).
Fatecrasher has entered the room.
Fatecrasher has left the room.
Rain began to fall!
Rayquaza used Fire Blast.
Rayquaza lost 10% of its health.
---
funkytown switched in Palkia (lvl 100 Palkia).
Palkia is exerting its pressure!
---
Palkia used Outrage.
Palkia went on a rampage!
It's super effective!
TWILIGHT SUCKS lost 100% of its health.
---
It's super effective!
Palkia lost 100% of its health.
funkytown's Palkia fainted.
---
funkytown switched in Groudon (lvl 100 Groudon).
Groudon's Drought intensified the sun's rays!
The rain stopped.
The sun began to shine!
Groudon lost 40% of its health.
Groudon used Earthquake.
TWILIGHT SUCKS lost 59% of its health.
The sun continues to shine.
Groudon's leftovers restored its health a little!
Groudon restored 6% of its health.
---
Groudon used Thunder Wave.
TWILIGHT SUCKS is paralysed! It may be unable to move!
---
funkytown switched in Dialga (lvl 100 Dialga).
Dialga is exerting its pressure!
Toxic Spikes were scattered around the foe's team!
---
The sun faded.
Rain began to fall!
Dialga used Stealth Rock.
---
Dialga used Outrage.
Dialga went on a rampage!
TWILIGHT SUCKS lost 45% of its health.
Dialga lost 10% of its health.
TWILIGHT SUCKS used Roar.
funkytown switched in Groudon (lvl 100 Groudon).
The rain stopped.
The sun began to shine!
Groudon was poisoned!
Groudon was poisoned by the Toxic Spikes!
Groudon is hurt by poison!
Groudon lost 12% of its health.
---
Pointed stones dug into TWILIGHT SUCKS.
TWILIGHT SUCKS lost 12% of its health.
Groudon used Earthquake.
TWILIGHT SUCKS lost 42% of its health.
---
Groudon used Earthquake.
A critical hit!
TWILIGHT SUCKS lost 52% of its health.
---
TWILIGHT SUCKS lost 6% of its health.
TWILIGHT SUCKS used Draco Meteor.
Groudon lost 54% of its health.
funkytown's Groudon fainted.
TWILIGHT SUCKS's special attack was harshly lowered.
---
funkytown switched in Scizor (lvl 100 Scizor ?).
The sun faded.
Rain began to fall!
Scizor used U-turn.
TWILIGHT SUCKS lost 23% of its health.
funkytown switched in Rayquaza (lvl 100 Rayquaza).
---
Rayquaza used Extremespeed.
TWILIGHT SUCKS lost 26% of its health.
---
Scizor lost 10% of its health.
Scizor's leftovers restored its health a little!
Scizor restored 6% of its health.
---
TWILIGHT SUCKS used Calm Mind.
TWILIGHT SUCKS's special attack was raised.
TWILIGHT SUCKS's special defence was raised.
Scizor used U-turn.
TWILIGHT SUCKS lost 25% of its health.
funkytown switched in Dialga (lvl 100 Dialga).
Dialga is exerting its pressure!
---
TWILIGHT SUCKS restored 25% of its health.
Dialga used Outrage.
A critical hit!
TWILIGHT SUCKS lost 99% of its health.
---
TWILIGHT SUCKS restored 92% of its health.
Dialga used Outrage.
TWILIGHT SUCKS lost 54% of its health.
Dialga's rampage ended.
Dialga became confused!
---
TWILIGHT SUCKS restored 48% of its health.
Dialga is confused!
Dialga used Outrage.
TWILIGHT SUCKS lost 55% of its health.
---
TWILIGHT SUCKS restored 49% of its health.
Dialga is confused!
Dialga used Outrage.
TWILIGHT SUCKS lost 53% of its health.
---
TWILIGHT SUCKS restored 47% of its health.
Dialga is confused!
It hurt itself in its confusion!
Dialga's rampage ended.
---
Dialga snapped out of confusion!
Dialga used Outrage.
TWILIGHT SUCKS lost 57% of its health.
---
Dialga lost 30% of its health.
funkytown's Dialga fainted.
---
Scizor used Bullet Punch.
TWILIGHT SUCKS lost 11% of its health.
Scizor lost 96% of its health.
funkytown's Scizor fainted.
---
funkytown switched in Rayquaza (lvl 100 Rayquaza).
Rayquaza used Extremespeed.
TWILIGHT SUCKS lost 29% of its health.
It's super effective!
Rayquaza lost 70% of its health.
funkytown's Rayquaza fainted.
---
funkytown switched in Mewtwo (lvl 100 Mewtwo).
Mewtwo is exerting its pressure!
Mewtwo was poisoned!
Mewtwo was poisoned by the Toxic Spikes!
funkytown: gg
Mewtwo used Selfdestruct.
TWILIGHT SUCKS lost 27% of its health.
funkytown's Mewtwo fainted.
shrang wins!
funkytown has left the room.

Oh, and even if he didn't really sweep in this one, he applied quite a lot of pressure and just refused to die (This log was later my warstory):

Quick Man sent out Mewtwo (lvl 100 Mewtwo).
DarkLord has entered the room.
Quick Man: Scizor used Bullet Punch. A critical hit! Garchomp lost 99% of its health.
DarkLord: hell yeah
Rain began to fall!
Mewtwo used Flamethrower.
TWILIGHT SUCKS lost 5% of its health.
TWILIGHT SUCKS restored 5% of its health.
---
Mewtwo used Grass Knot.
TWILIGHT SUCKS lost 9% of its health.
---
DarkLord has left the room.
shrang: goddamn it
Quick Man switched in Darkrai (lvl 100 Darkrai).
---
Quick Man switched in Groudon (lvl 100 Groudon).
The rain stopped.
The sun began to shine!
---
Quick Man switched in Jirachi (lvl 100 Jirachi).
Jirachi lost 18% of its health.
---
The sun faded.
Rain began to fall!
Jirachi used U-turn.
TWILIGHT SUCKS lost 14% of its health.
Quick Man switched in Kyogre (lvl 100 Kyogre).
Kyogre's Drizzle caused a storm!
---
Kyogre used Calm Mind.
Kyogre's special attack was raised.
Kyogre's special defence was raised.
---
Kyogre used Calm Mind.
---
---
Darkrai used Dark Void.
Darkrai's attack missed!
---
Darkrai used Nasty Plot.
Darkrai's special attack was sharply raised.
TWILIGHT SUCKS used Sleep Talk.
But it failed!
TWILIGHT SUCKS restored 2% of its health.
---
Darkrai used Dark Void.
TWILIGHT SUCKS is fast asleep!
---
Darkrai used Dark Pulse.
TWILIGHT SUCKS lost 71% of its health.
Darkrai lost 10% of its health.
TWILIGHT SUCKS flinched!
---
Quick Man: lol
Darkrai used Dark Pulse.
A critical hit!
TWILIGHT SUCKS lost 97% of its health.
---
Quick Man: i finally get good luck
The rain stopped.
The sun began to shine!
Groudon lost 41% of its health.
---
Groudon lost 38% of its health.
Groudon used Dragon Claw.
It's super effective!
TWILIGHT SUCKS lost 62% of its health.
---
---
Jirachi used U-turn.
A critical hit!
The sun faded.
Rain began to fall!
TWILIGHT SUCKS used Bulk Up.
TWILIGHT SUCKS's attack was raised.
TWILIGHT SUCKS's defence was raised.
---
TWILIGHT SUCKS's attack missed!
---
Jirachi used Trick.
Jirachi obtained Life Orb!
TWILIGHT SUCKS obtained Choice Scarf!
TWILIGHT SUCKS used Brick Break.
Jirachi lost 30% of its health.
---
Jirachi used U-turn.
TWILIGHT SUCKS lost 22% of its health.
The rain stopped.
The sun began to shine!
Jirachi lost 10% of its health.
---
It's super effective!
Groudon lost 40% of its health.
Quick Man's Groudon fainted.
---
The sun faded.
Rain began to fall!
Darkrai used Nasty Plot.
---
Darkrai used Dark Pulse.
---
TWILIGHT SUCKS used Earthquake.
Kyogre lost 38% of its health.
Kyogre's leftovers restored its health a little!
Kyogre restored 6% of its health.
---
Quick Man switched in Mewtwo (lvl 100 Mewtwo).
---
Quick Man: oops misclick
---
Jirachi used Iron Head.
TWILIGHT SUCKS lost 20% of its health.
TWILIGHT SUCKS flinched!
---
Jirachi used Iron Head.
TWILIGHT SUCKS flinched!
---
Jirachi used U-turn.
TWILIGHT SUCKS lost 22% of its health.
TWILIGHT SUCKS restored 51% of its health.
---
Darkrai used Dark Void.
---
Darkrai used Dark Void.
---
shrang: stop it
shrang: you're only wasting time =D
Quick Man: why :d
Darkrai used Dark Pulse.
TWILIGHT SUCKS lost 49% of its health.
TWILIGHT SUCKS flinched!
---
Darkrai used Nasty Plot.
TWILIGHT SUCKS restored 43% of its health.
---
Darkrai used Dark Pulse.
TWILIGHT SUCKS lost 95% of its health.
Darkrai lost 50% of its health.
Quick Man's Darkrai fainted.
---
Mewtwo used Aura Sphere.
It's super effective!
TWILIGHT SUCKS lost 73% of its health.
---
Mewtwo lost 84% of its health.
TWILIGHT SUCKS's special attack was harshly lowered.
Mewtwo used Aura Sphere.
It's super effective!
TWILIGHT SUCKS lost 9% of its health.
---
It's super effective!
Jirachi lost 11% of its health.
Quick Man's Jirachi fainted.
---
Quick Man switched in Garchomp (lvl 100 Garchomp ?).
Garchomp lost 53% of its health.
Garchomp used Outrage.
Garchomp went on a rampage!
It's super effective!
TWILIGHT SUCKS lost 38% of its health.
---
It's super effective!
A critical hit!
Garchomp lost 47% of its health.
Quick Man's Garchomp fainted.
The Haban Berry weakened Dragon Pulse's power!
---
Quick Man: D:
Mewtwo used Shadow Ball.
A critical hit!
TWILIGHT SUCKS lost 11% of its health.
---
Mewtwo used Shadow Ball.
It's super effective!
TWILIGHT SUCKS lost 33% of its health.
Mewtwo lost 16% of its health.
Quick Man's Mewtwo fainted.
---
TWILIGHT SUCKS used Thunder.
It's super effective!
Kyogre lost 63% of its health.
Kyogre used Calm Mind.
Kyogre's leftovers restored its health a little!
Kyogre restored 6% of its health.
---
TWILIGHT SUCKS used Thunder.
It's super effective!
Kyogre lost 12% of its health.
Quick Man's Kyogre fainted.
shrang wins!
Quick Man: gg
Quick Man has left the room.

Jibaku

Who let marco in here????
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past SPL Champion
Speaking of Rayquaza, I would highly recommend that Manaphy has 216 Speed EVs (drop some Special Attack), to outrun it as it's a major problem already and you don't want it to be a bigger problem as it picks you off at 70% with Outrage or so.

shrang

General Kenobi
I can't really see much harm in removing 40 SpA EVs and putting them into Speed, so I changed the spread slightly to reflect that.

Super Mario Bro

All we ever look for
Aw, when I mentioned it a couple posts before, I didn't get any response. :(

Also, I think you should suggest placing 216 Speed EVs to outspeed Jolly Max Speed Rayquaza. Getting hit with outrage is never fun, and this could prevent it.
But yeah, that was a smart thing to do.

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus

I have tested this set for 3 days now and its pretty good. It cleans up stall nicely once Groudon is weakened and Latias is out of commission, and its instant recovery and decent bulk make it a threat vs. offense as well.

A few things I'd like you to add:

-Mention Thunder Wave Kyogre as a teammate. He is IMO the best kind of Kyogre to use with this Manaphy as it lures in and cripples many of Manaphy's counters, including Palkia and Lati@s. From my experience it made setting up much easier as I was then able to Calm Mind before they attacked.

-I would personally just Max Out Speed. That extra little power boost doesn't really do anything from my experience, and it lets you tie with Palkia + unboosted Salamence. This could potentially save your Manaphy from a premature death from Outrage, which IMO is much more important than an insignificant power boost.

firecape

This is the end...
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I may have missed this somewhere (sorry im a little tired..) but you say:

The idea is to come into a Pokemon who can't really threaten Manaphy and set up a Calm Mind of Pokemon
However, you never actually mention what Pokemon Manaphy can set up on, it may be helpful to include some examples. I do see the damage calculations, but they are with Manaphys that have already began to stat up.

Also, you say
Manaphy is also able to take physical hits reasonably well, so it can also set up on unboosted physical attacks
Im not saying you are wrong, but again it may help to give an example to prove your point.

shrang

General Kenobi
Okay, bumping because I changed the set in accordance with Fireburn's recommendations of Thunder Wave Kyogre and max Speed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)