Mantine

Status
Not open for further replies.

Max Carvalho

Que os jogos comecem

Overview
########
  • Defog buff gave a new niche to Mantine as a hazard remover.
  • Incredible Special Defense stat and typing gives it some interesting resistances which make it a solid switch to a lot of threats such as Hitmonlee, Escavalier, Speed Boost Yanmega, and others.
  • Solid abilities in Swift Swim, giving it an offensive niche, and Water Absorb, which gives Mantine a defensive niche.
  • Solid Speed for a defensive Pokemon.
  • Compared Gligar as a Deffoger which has much more bulk in the physical side, is faster, isn't weak to Stealth rock but has less offensive pressure and Mantine has more Special Defense, even with Gligar's Eviolite boost. Also, Mantine doesn't care that much with Knock Off.
  • Weakness to Stealth Rock makes it a bit hard to Mantine act as a Defogger.
  • Outclassed by Hitmonlee as a hazard remover as it has the coveted Foresight + Rapid Spin combo. Obviously, Hitmonlee has got much less bulk than Mantine in both sides.
  • Faces competition with Gorebyss as a sweeper.

Defog
########
name: Defog
move 1: Defog
move 2: Scald
move 3: Protect / Air Slash
move 4: Toxic
ability: Water Absorb
item: Leftovers
evs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 SpA
nature: Calm

Moves
========

• Defog is the main reason you are using this set.
  • Scald offers a great primary STAB hitting physical attackers with a 30% chance of burning.
  • Air Slash is a secondary STAB which hits Grass- and Bug-types such as Virizion and Yanmega hard while having a nice flinch change against slower threats such as Amonguss.
  • Protect scouts some Toxic damage and recover some HP with Leftovers.
  • Toxic is an option in the last moveslot to stall against special attackers.

Set Details
========

• The following EV spread and nature gives Mantine max Special Defense, allowing it to wall most Special Attackers moves.
  • Water Absorb gives Mantine a free switch in Water-type moves.
  • Leftovers provide constant recovery.

Usage Tips
========

• Mantine can be set out against all special attackers that lack a powerful super-effective move such as Yanmega, Moltres, Zoroark and much others so it can get a free turn to set up Defog.
  • Beware though, that without super-effective coverage, Mantine won't be able to stop some sweepers to set up such as Mismagius.

Team Options
========

• Obviously, anything weak to hazards, such as Yanmega, Moltres, Abomasnow, and Fletchinder appreciate Mantine.
  • Jolteon + Mantine is an interesting core where Jolteon is immune to the Electric-type moves is afraid of, while Mantine can deal with the Ground-types that scare Jolteon.
  • Rhyperior is a solid Stealth Rock setter and has a fantastic synergy with Mantine. Rhyperior can also tank some physical attacks that otherwise would do a lot of damage to Mantine such as Zangoose's Facade.
  • Wish passers are great teammates, as Mantine doesn't have access to reliable recovery. Aromatisse, for instance, is a good one as Mantine resists Steel-type moves.

Swift Swim Abuser
########
name: Rain Dance Sweeper
move 1: Rain Dance
move 2: Hydro Pump
move 3: Air Slash
move 4: Defog
ability: Swift Swim
item: Life Orb
evs: 64 HP / 252 SpA / 192 Spe
nature: Modest

Moves
========

• Rain Dance is the staple of this set, doubling Mantine's Speed stat.
  • Hydro Pump is prefered over Surf as Mantine Special Attack is low.
  • Air Slash hits Grass-types hard.
  • Defog is in this set to remove hazards this is Mantine's main niche in RU.

Set Details
========

• 192 Spe EVs allows Mantine to outspeed Scarf Rotom-M. Anything else is outsped by Mantine in Rain Dance, so anymore EVs in Speed aren't relevant.
  • Life Orb and Modest nature maxs Mantine Special Attack.
  • Of course, Damp Rock is an option to increase Rain turns, but Mantine misses Life Orb boost a lot.

Usage Tips
========

• Avoid Knock Off. Mantine won't be able to sweep without its Life Orb.
  • Try to set up in something that can't do much against Mantine such as Shuckle, Moltres, Virizion, etc.
  • Mantine, as many sweepers, isn't able to sweep if its counters aren't gone or weakened.
  • It's a good idea to already have rain in the field.

Team Options
========

• Gorebyss is the best teammate ever for this set. It can pass a Shell Smash so Mantine will have much more power. Gorebyss also benefits from rain, with its Hydro Pump hitting very hard. And Mantine beat the Grass-types that annoy Gorebyss.
  • Overall, anything that can benefit from rain such as Sharpedo, Kabutops, Barbaracle, Omastar, and others.
  • A teammate that can remove hazards such as Gligar and Hitmonlee is appreciated by Mantine.
  • Rhyperior has a solid defensive synergy with Mantine and can set up Stealth Rock, which is needed to Mantine get some 2HKOs.

Other Options
########

• RestTalk set with Scald, Air Slash / Toxic.
  • A physical defensive EV spread in the Defog set, though it's outclassed by Gligar.
  • Surf, for a more reliable STAB.
  • Haze.
  • Icy Wind.

Checks & Counters
########

**Special Walls**: Mantine is very weak to hurt these ones. Aromatisse, Alomomola, Cresselia, Slowking even Assault Vest Meloetta. Aromatisse, Slowking and Cresselia can set up Calm Mind.

**Defiant**: Braviary is the main user of Defiant, and is the most dangerous to Mantine. A +2 Brave Bird is a guaranteeded OHKO against a physical defensive version.

**Electric-types**: Specially Rotom-Mow the only one which doesn't care for any of Mantine's STABs. Any Pokemon with an Electric-type move such as Mismagius can also check Mantine.

**Powerful Physical Attackers**: Rhyperior, Sharpedo, Stone Edge Hitmonlee, and Zangoose are all strong enough to threaten Mantine, but they all fear Scald.

Last edited:

Inspirited

There is usually higher ground.
is a Contributor Alumnus
Not QC, but I have a suggestion:

Instead of Rest Talk on the Defog set (since it is rather bad with Defog), why not just run Rest since the annoying BW mechanics are no longer in place. This is what a lot of Blastoise did in DPP and all it did was turn a KOed Blastoise into a sleeping Blastoise so you would still have your switch-in to certain attackers. There was also the chance you could wake up by using your switch-in opportunities to burn turns of sleep which you can do in XY. Running a cleric helps with this also.

Here is my suggestion for the Defog set:

name: Defog
move 1: Defog
move 2: Scald
move 3: Air Slash / Rest
move 4: Rest / Toxic
ability: Water Absorb
item: Leftovers
evs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 SpD
nature: Calm

Moves
========
- Move Ice Beam here since it has extremely redundant coverage with Air Slash and Scald. Scald covers most of the birds in the tier with the burn chance (other than Swellow :P) and Air Slash hits Yanmega harder regardless. as far as bulky things go, Scald also covers Gligar if it gets burned although it will be a much slower and painful process. Defog Gligar is also susceptible to Toxic and Togetic is a Pokemon you would rather Toxic than Ice Beam anyways.

Also, is max SpD really necessary, with Mantine's absurd Special Defense I would assume it could get away with running some Defense investment to help it take on Escavalier better if anything.

I still have little experience with RU, so having a QC member look over my suggestion before you implement is probably the best course of action.

RestTalk Mantine is bad even down in NU, so I can't imagine in being much better here, especially when the only real reason to use Mantine is for Defog. Scald / Defog / Rest / Sleep Talk sounds terrible.

I'd recommend testing out Scald / Defog / Protect / Toxic (nothing else seems worth using to me). Protect lets you rack up Toxic damage on the opponent and gives you Leftovers recovery, which makes it a great utility move. You also get a way to annoy Jellicent and Gastrodon, and Lum Virizion can't use you as ~total~ setup fodder this way. Also agreeing with a more mixed defensive EV spread, though I'm not sure what's ideal.

Max Carvalho

Que os jogos comecem
Hollywood set looks really gud. I just can't find any mixed EV spread that actually work. If anyone comes with an idea, tell me :]

Martin

A monoid in the category of endofunctors
is a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
tbh, if you are even considering offensive Mantine it has to have Defog. That is literally its only niche in RU, and by not even having it on the set you are kinda ignoring that completely.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Uber late but

QC Rejected 3/3

Really outclassed by Pelipper, which is a niche Pokemon as it is already. Sorry manta ray, I still love you in Colosseum ;-;

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)