Mario and Luigi RPG series

For those who may not know what I'm talking about, it's these four games:

Here's a bit on how these games work: Mario and Luigi work as a pair, with "A" controlling Mario and "B" controlling Luigi both in the overworld and in battle. Battles are turn based that include standard jumping and hammer attacks, and "bros" attacks which usually involve a series of button presses or stylus movements and cost "bros" points. There's an EXP progression system, item shops, and a lot of other elements of traditional RPGs. What I like about these games is how simple the battle system is, but still manages to present a challenge much of the time, especially in the late game. Each game also has a "gimmick" save for the first one: Partners in Time had the time travel element and the baby bros, Inside Story literally took place inside Bowser most of the time (except for when you were playing as Bowser!) and Dream Team had the Dream World. What do you guys think about these games and which of these would you say are your favorites?

Inferior to Super Mario RPG: Legend of the Seven Stars, but they're ok I guess. Some of the content is pretty out there, and they try too hard to force bad jokes and puns. It's lacking also in the RPG-ness too. But still, overall not too bad. More partial to the first 2 over the last 2.

Texas Cloverleaf

This user has a custom title
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
First one is among the best of the GBA games period, fantastic game all around. Second game was kind of meh, nothing too memorable and the difficulty/level scaling felt wonky. Third one was decent, difficulty seemed scaled down a bit, the game as a whole seemed to cater to a slightly younger audience that the past ones. Haven't played the fourth.

I HAVE FURY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've actually been meaning to discuss this series.

The first game is fantastic, just brilliant puzzles and mechanics all around, and keeps up a fantastic pace, interesting characters, just all around fun.

I hated PiT it was trash, some boss battles took way too long and the amount of shockwave attacks were insulting, the baby mechanic was overused and didn't do much for puzzle solving. The (spoilers, not really) time travel mechanic was phoned in, and didn't really pay off. Since you only visit locations in the past. The additional powering up baby attacks only served to make the game less exciting when the pairs split off (they always did). Because you still have access to a good amount of bro attacks. While in M&L when you split off you were alone, which was actually tense.

BiS is fantastic and I regret not remembering more of the story. Great power ups, playable Bowser is fantastic, his touch mechanics were woefully missed from the first DS game (seriously why did it take so long for this!). It's rather unfortunate that the Bowser body sections aren't as memorable, since it's hard to remember distinct locations. Really enjoyed this, will probably replay soon.

I recently got Dream Team and it's good, wonderful new sprite style. The big issue I have is that they are failing to recreate the Bowser mechanic from BiS. They are sort of treading water. When in the Dream World you have Dreamy Luigi power up Mario, now there are a few things that aren't clear. The HP and BP totals don't match their combined stats. It doesn't seem like all of Luigi's stats join up with Mario in the Dream World. Thus I never feel the need to power up Luigi, since I'll be borked in dream sections. Dream sections do have some good puzzles and while you only play with Mario the battle system just doesn't change up enough, you still jump and hammer but now with DREAM POWER. Also the dream sections do tend to mess with the game flow. For example I'm barely finished one part of a real world story line, when I have to interrupt this entirely new dream section, then go back for real world stuff. The art in dream world sections is also top notch no doubts about that.

Age of Kings

of the Ash Legion
is a Forum Moderator Alumnus
The first is a fantastic game, and my favorite by far. The difficulty was just right, the puzzles were creative, I liked the characters, and even the little minigames were fun.
Never played Partners in Time.
I don't remember much from Bowser's Inside Story, I don't think I finished it. Playable Bowser was pretty awesome though.
I just picked up Dream Team, it's ok, I still like the first one best. It seems a little too easy though and I agree with Layell in that the storyline isn't really coherent since you're constantly going from real world to dream world in little spurts that make it difficult to feel invested in anything.

What I like about these games overall is the interactivity compared to other RPGs. Combat is much more involved than traditional RPGs without being overly complicated. The environments are always a puzzle, it's not just go from point A to point B and fight enemies.

WTB more Fawful pls. He's so much cooler than Rosalina.

I've actually been meaning to discuss this series.

The first game is fantastic, just brilliant puzzles and mechanics all around, and keeps up a fantastic pace, interesting characters, just all around fun.

I hated PiT it was trash, some boss battles took way too long and the amount of shockwave attacks were insulting, the baby mechanic was overused and didn't do much for puzzle solving. The (spoilers, not really) time travel mechanic was phoned in, and didn't really pay off. Since you only visit locations in the past. The additional powering up baby attacks only served to make the game less exciting when the pairs split off (they always did). Because you still have access to a good amount of bro attacks. While in M&L when you split off you were alone, which was actually tense.

BiS is fantastic and I regret not remembering more of the story. Great power ups, playable Bowser is fantastic, his touch mechanics were woefully missed from the first DS game (seriously why did it take so long for this!). It's rather unfortunate that the Bowser body sections aren't as memorable, since it's hard to remember distinct locations. Really enjoyed this, will probably replay soon.

I recently got Dream Team and it's good, wonderful new sprite style. The big issue I have is that they are failing to recreate the Bowser mechanic from BiS. They are sort of treading water. When in the Dream World you have Dreamy Luigi power up Mario, now there are a few things that aren't clear. The HP and BP totals don't match their combined stats. It doesn't seem like all of Luigi's stats join up with Mario in the Dream World. Thus I never feel the need to power up Luigi, since I'll be borked in dream sections. Dream sections do have some good puzzles and while you only play with Mario the battle system just doesn't change up enough, you still jump and hammer but now with DREAM POWER. Also the dream sections do tend to mess with the game flow. For example I'm barely finished one part of a real world story line, when I have to interrupt this entirely new dream section, then go back for real world stuff. The art in dream world sections is also top notch no doubts about that.
I almost jumped off the M&L train after PiT. It almost felt like a desperate jump for money after the stunning first game. What still plagues me to this day is that you can't split M&L anymore. Honestly that was one of my favorite mechanics from the first one. That way if one of the bros started out higher than the other (Spoiler: Mario), I could balance Luigi. Or, if one of the bros died in a boss battle, I could just train the other one to get them back at the same level. It soothed my OCD... oh so much.

One last thing...

"I HAVE FURY!"

PiT took way too long to play through, loved BiS but haven't played dream team. Fawful is easily the funniest character in Mario. Still inferior to the first two paper marios though

Wayan Vistar

formerly Flyhn
I've only played the original & BiS, and am planning to get DT. Both the ones I've played are amazing, but I slightly like BiS better because it has more Fawful.

ALL HAIL LORD FAWFUL! I HAVE FURY!

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)