Masquerain [0/3]

Overview
########
  • Mostly used as a suicide lead for sticky webs
  • Gets access to one of the best set up moves in the game (quiver dance)
  • Has BP so it can transfer its boosts
  • Gets intimidate to weaken physical attackers
  • Is scurry

Sticky Web Offense
########
name: Sticky Web Offense
move 1: Sticky Web
move 2: Scald
move 3: Bug Buzz
move 4: Quiver Dance
ability: Intimidate
item: Focus Sash
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Timid/Modest

Moves
========
  • Sticky web is an excellent support move as it reduces the speed of the opposing grounded Pokemon by 1/3. This move can turn the tide of a game on the first turn, and makes slower Pokemon more viable to use.
  • Quiver dance boosts speed, special attack and special defence. This allows Masq to become a threat if you are not KOed after setting up the web.
  • Bug buzz offers a good powerful STAB move, which does reasonable damage to other popular leads straight off the bat: 252+ SpA Masquerain Bug Buzz vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Crustle: 148-175 (43 - 50.8%)
  • Scald is preferred to air slash as this would leave Masq completely walled by steel types, allowing threats like Klinklang to come in and set up. Scald also is good for killing those keen rapid spinners who come in and try and get the rapid spin kill: +1 252+ SpA Masquerain Scald vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Sandslash: 336-396 (94.9 - 111.8%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO
Usage Tips
========

The primary objective of this set is to get a Sticky Web up, and in most cases this is as easy as clicking the button. However a fast taunter (such as lead Archeops) will ruin your fun - if Masq gets taunted it is normally better to switch out and try again at a later point in the battle. Xatu can also bounce your web from whence it came, so if the opposing team has one of these rubbery birds you can ease prediction on the first turn by setting up with a Quiver Dance instead of using a web straight away.

Two attacking moves are used on this set in order to do as much damage as possible before Masq faints. Bug Buzz and Scald offer good coverage, only failing to hit dragons neutrally (and since there aren't many commonly used set up sweeper dragons applying pressure is less important here).

Finally, Quiver Dance is used to add more power and speed to your attacks, allowing Masq to deal decent damage to anything that doesn't resist.

Team Options
========

Since Masquerain is a lead it doesn't really require much support, but many Pokemon benefit from sticky web.

The main thing you need to worry about is a spinblocker should Cryogonal try and come in and spin while Masq is still active, as Masq will not be able to hit Cryo very hard. Also, lead Archeops w/ Taunt can be a pain - the best bet here is to switch out to something faster or with a multi hit move (Gear Grind, Rock Blast etc) so you can take Archeops down without it Endeavouring you.

Finally, although most Pokemon will be caught in the web, flying types and those with Levitate are immune to the speed reduction (unless gravity is in play) so it is important to have at least one team member with good natural speed or strong priority to counter these threats.

Quiver Pass
########
name: Quiver Pass
move 1: Roost
move 2: Bug Buzz
move 3: Baton Pass
evs: 248 HP / 252 Def / 8 SpD
nature: Bold

Moves
========
  • Baton Pass allows Masquerain to past the Quiver Dance boost to a Pokemon that might be more suited to attempting a sweep
  • Roost gives Masquerain a little more longevity

Usage Tips
========

With EVs distributed between HP and Defence, Masquerain actually becomes reasonably bulky on the physical side - especially taking into account Intimidate. This allows Masq to come in on things like choice locked fighting types and weak attackers and start setting up, before passing these boosts on.

Team Options
========

Similar to above, with the addition of any special sweepers that could do with a bit of added speed/special bulk. Defog/Rapid Spin support is also vital.

Other Options
########

Masquerain gets decent support moves like Haze (should anything try and set up on you) and Defog (but dat 4x rock weakness tho), along with both Sunny Day and Rain Dance. Weather setting moves should only really be used in conjunction with setting webs, as there are better weather setters out there. Stun Spore, Toxic and Tailwind are also options. Energy Ball allows you to hit Seismitoad and Kabutops harder, while Hydro Pump has good BP but poor accuracy. Ice Beam is an excellent choice for the Webs set, as this allows you to apply more pressure to Xatu - you can Quiver Dance on the first turn expecting the switch in and then kill with Ice Beam, allowing you to set up webs freely after that.

Checks & Counters
########

The biggest threat to Masquerain is the evil snowflake Cryogonal. As long as Masq isn't too highly boosted, Cryo can come in and either KO with Frost Breath/Freeze Dry or Rapid Spin your web away. As mentioned above, fast taunters such as Archeops stop Masq from both webbing and setting up itself, and Xatu/Magic Coat users can simply bounce the web back onto your side of the field.

Swag Meter
########

Masquerain is undoubtedly the swaggiest Pokemon in NU, if not the world. His name gets you a score of 21 in Scrabble, and that's without a triple letter tile. I would encourage everyone to give this terrifying little bug a go.

Last edited:
your formatting for EVs is a little off, so please fix that!

Other than that, I haven't used Masquerain a whole lot in XY so far, but I would like to see a QuiverPass set too.

Also, Hydro Pump could definitely see some use on the sticky web set. +1 Hydro Pump can 2HKO SpDef Probopass, while Scald fails too. (This is assuming that Probo comes in on the sticky web and sash is up). The extra power is really huge, but scalds utility is still probably better. If any QC member has more experience with Masquerain, please speak up :)

Ah ok, are the sets meant to be in a format where they can be exported directly into showdown? Yeah am gonna put a quiverpass set up too, and will include hydro pump as an option instead of scald (I am biased against hydro pump as it always missed for me)

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
I think you could honestly fit it all onto one set, as you could put Baton Pass over Bug Buzz on the webs set you have. Most of the time, Baton Passing out to a sweeper would be more beneficial than hitting something with random coverage, and you have scald there already as an attacking move :]
Though if you want the Quiver Pass set to be QD / Roost / Baton Pass / Bug Buzz, to be able to prolong survivability, I guess I can see due to setting up webs and passing might be a tad difficult.
Up to the rest of QC, cause I also haven't used Masquerain yet [even though I've wanted to].

I think you could honestly fit it all onto one set, as you could put Baton Pass over Bug Buzz on the webs set you have. Most of the time, Baton Passing out to a sweeper would be more beneficial than hitting something with random coverage, and you have scald there already as an attacking move :]
Though if you want the Quiver Pass set to be QD / Roost / Baton Pass / Bug Buzz, to be able to prolong survivability, I guess I can see due to setting up webs and passing might be a tad difficult.
Up to the rest of QC, cause I also haven't used Masquerain yet [even though I've wanted to].
Thanks for the feedback, I was planning on including the web quiver pass as a separate set but I can slash it or something.

You use this for webs before attacking so Timid should be the first nature slash :)

Punchshroom

FISHIOUS REND MEGA SHARPEDO
is a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributor
Sticky Web + QuiverPass seems like the reason you'd ever use this thing tbh.
Really? Because it seems downright impossible to do both. At least Scald lets Masquerain beat up the likes of Sandslash and Rhydon before they ruin its day (admittedly, Leavanny is likely better at this).

Really? Because it seems downright impossible to do both. At least Scald lets Masquerain beat up the likes of Sandslash and Rhydon before they ruin its day (admittedly, Leavanny is likely better at this).
I think the mindset is you shouldn't be doing both, you have the option either set up Web or QuiverPass depending on the scenario.

And the set would probably be Scald / QD / BP / Web anyways since it's not like you're going to be sweeping with this thing anytime soon, lol.

I mean this mon seems kinda bad regardless so w/e idk lol.

soulgazer

I FEEL INFINITE
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Swagalge ik this is WIP, but the set's formatting is wrong, use this:

Sticky Web
########
name: Sticky Web
move 1: Sticky Web
move 2: Bug Buzz
move 3: Scald
evs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Made it Timid because I think being able to outspeed and 2HKO Lead Omastar is pretty important. Haze and Energy Ball also deserves a mention in Moves imo (preventing the opponent from setting up on you and doing good damage to Seismitoad and co is good).

Punchshroom

Yeah Web + QuiverPass + Scald/Energy Ball combines all of Masquerain's useful traits together without greatly sacrificing the effectiveness of each role: gets to Web, gets to QuiverPass, gets to beat other leads. Energy Ball seems more useful than Scald since it hits Rhydon, Toad, Sandslash, and Omastar much harder, while Scald only really hits Crustle (altho burn can screw it over). I like how 3 out of 4 of our Webbers aren't recommended to use Bug STAB lol.

I put Scald in mainly for Archeops and Crustle, both of which seem to be becoming more popular as leads. Scald hits Rhydon and Sandslash roughly the same as Energy Ball and also allows you to put more pressure on steel types such as Steelix and Klinklang - but I do see the appeal of energy ball and will slash it in.

I am gonna mention haze and other stuff in the moves section.

ryan

Jojo Siwa enthusiast
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Honestly I think it should just be two sets. Quiver Pass should probably just be c/ped from last gen except maybe tweak EVs if necessary idk I haven't used this thing since early BW2. Ran Roost/QD/Pass/Buzz

I'd probably just go:

- Sticky Web
- Tailwind
- Scald
- Bug Buzz

for a webs set. I agree with Punchshroom's first post that quiverpass + webs is too much on one set.

also rejecting LO QD because Vivillon exists.

CanadianWifier

Run Away With Me
okay, for the first set remove some slashes dear god.
this is a mon that I feel should only ever have two sets and you somehow managed to get 3 sets based all around the same damn moves.

Set 1 should be just lead webs with no attempts at passing Quiver. I really, truly feel that Masquarain can't do both at the same time, it'll just get overwhelmed.
Something like Sash Timid with Sticky Web / Bug Buzz / Scald, Energy Ball / Quiver Dance. It allows you to get up webs, and hurt anything that tries to get rid of them. If they play really dumb around you, you might even get to kill something / a few things if you set up a Quiver. That's all it's good for, really.

Set 2 should be a more dedicated Quiver Passer, because the strategy is decent enough in NU that it can have a whole set dedicated to it. Something like 248HP / 252+Def or generally bulky as fuck, with Quiver / Roost / Buzz / Pass is your best chance at passing more than one boost.

Unless someone from QC wants to call me out on this, I just don't think Masq can fit Quiver, Pass, Webs, STAB, Coverage, Survivability all on one set.

I still don't see what the Sticky Web set has over Levanny or Krickitune if you don't run QuiverPass :[

It's not like you're ever going to be getting up a Quiver Dance after you set up Web... so basically you have a Pokemon that is lacking the offensive presence of Levanny and the support movepool of Krickitune and is only ever going to setup Web and just setup Web.

At least with Web / QD / Pass / Scald you can choose what you want to do depending on the situation. For example, you can set up Web against offensive, and Quiver Pass against stall to assist wallbreakers.

I don't agree that it'll get "overwhelmed" (what?) or that it needs a STAB move, because the point of the set is that you're not trying to do both in one game.

The only other set I could see is Hollywood's proposed set, but even then Tailwind really isn't necessary when you have Web.

Maybe I'm being ignorant but I seriously can't see why I'd use Web Masquiren over Levanny, Krickitune, or hell, even Ariados without QuiverPass.

Punchshroom

Yeah Web + QuiverPass + Scald/Energy Ball combines all of Masquerain's useful traits together without greatly sacrificing the effectiveness of each role: gets to Web, gets to QuiverPass, gets to beat other leads. Energy Ball hits Toad and Omastar , while Scald hits Crustle (altho burn can screw it over). I like how 3 out of 4 of our Webbers aren't recommended to use Bug STAB lol.

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Yeah I do mostly agree that QuiverPass + Web is really the only reason you'd bother using this over other Webbers (Intimidate is sort of a thing but zzz), and LightingLuxray does have a point that the idea shouldn't be to try and do both in one game. Idk tho cause I haven't used Masquerain at all this gen but it seems like no one else has either lol, so do what you will with this

I haven't had a lot of experience with Quiver Pass, but in my experience with Masquerain as a lead I often manage to get off a Quiver Dance and attack before he faints

I haven't had a lot of experience with Quiver Pass, but in my experience with Masquerain as a lead I often manage to get off a Quiver Dance and attack before he faints
Do you get off a Quiver Dance and attack AFTER setting up Sticky Web? Because if you do, I don't see how that's possible against smart opponents due to Masqueiren's mediocre Speed and frailty.

Just being able to use two moves seems like a rarity with this thing, let alone three.

Do you get off a Quiver Dance and attack AFTER setting up Sticky Web? Because if you do, I don't see how that's possible against smart opponents due to Masqueiren's mediocre Speed and frailty.

Just being able to use two moves seems like a rarity with this thing, let alone three.
Yeah, maybe I just play against stupid opponents... This tends to happen most against other hazard leads: stuff like Omaster that doesn't usually carry a SE attack. I have a spinner so am happy to let them set up spikes a bit while I Quiver Dance. Also I feel that of all the Sticky Web leads Masquerain deals with Xatu the best with a Quiver Dance and then Ice Beam?

Yeah, maybe I just play against stupid opponents... This tends to happen most against other hazard leads: stuff like Omaster that doesn't usually carry a SE attack. I have a spinner so am happy to let them set up spikes a bit while I Quiver Dance. Also I feel that of all the Sticky Web leads Masquerain deals with Xatu the best with a Quiver Dance and then Ice Beam?
Idk why you'd setup Spikes when Masqueirn learns QD :x

and maybe I'm stupid but doesn't lead Omastar use Ice Beam, and if it doesn't it runs Shell Smash to threaten Masquieren?

I guess Masquieren does deal with Xatu the best (assuming Ice Beam OHKO's, which I'm not sure of), but Ariados has STAB Megahorn + Sucker Punch, while Kricketune can severely weaken it with Endeavor. I'm not even sure if leading with your Web user is the most beneficial when your opponent has a Xatu, anyways.

Idk why you'd setup Spikes when Masqueirn learns QD :x

and maybe I'm stupid but doesn't lead Omastar use Ice Beam, and if it doesn't it runs Shell Smash to threaten Masquieren?

I guess Masquieren does deal with Xatu the best (assuming Ice Beam OHKO's, which I'm not sure of), but Ariados has STAB Megahorn + Sucker Punch, while Kricketune can severely weaken it with Endeavor. I'm not even sure if leading with your Web user is the most beneficial when your opponent has a Xatu, anyways.
Omaster usually runs Icy Wind/Ice Beam true - it depends on how selfish the opposing player is in terms of spikes as to whether you can get off a dance and attack.

+1 252+ SpA Masquerain Ice Beam vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Xatu: 312-368 (93.4 - 110.1%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO

Endeavour is good on Kricket, but if Xatu starts setting up CMs there's not a lot it can do...

Punchshroom

Yeah for some reason I completely forgot about Xatu when suggesting possible Masquerain movesets. Also since Omastar hauled ass out of the tier, Masquerain can afford to run Modest now.

Sticky Web and Quiver Dance are givens on Web Masqy: one move slows down shit, the other allows Masquerain to present itself as a threat as well as outspeed things. The remaining moves of choice is the tricky part.

- Energy Ball: Good chance to OHKO Rhydon and avoid Rock Blast. OHKOes Seismitoad and Carracosta, although one could use Toad as Quiver Dance fodder. Also OHKOes Kabutops, although Kabutops outspeeds and breaks your Sash so Masqy will be hard pressed to set down Web again, so it's in Masquerain's better interest to avoid Tops.

- Scald: Does not OHKO RHydon. 2HKOes Torkoal and prevents Fire-types from switching in easily. Spread burns.

- Bug Buzz: 2HKOes Sandslash and Crustle, rendering Energy Ball and Scald's advantage over them moot. 2HKOes Uxie, Mesprit and 152 HP LO Xatu. Strongest move in general.

- Ice Beam: OHKOes 152 HP LO Xatu with +1 Ice Beam. Can hit Dragalge I guess.

- Baton Pass: Passes Quiver boosts to teammates, or used as a slow pass against faster opponents.

Energy Ball lost a target in Omastar, and one of the more common targets, Seismitoad, does not need to be KOed in a hurry. Scald is even less useful compared to Energy Ball, and is really only there to hit Fires; which admittedly makes Timid Masquerain a better option since it can outspeed Archeops after +1 and OHKO. Bug Buzz seems to be the most consistent of the attacks, as it already 2HKOes a good number of Energy Ball and Scald targets that aren't OHKOed, as well as being Masquerain's best attack especially after Quiver Dance. +1 Ice Beam cleanly OHKOes Xatu before it Heat Waves you. Baton Pass lets Masquerain pass away QD boosts or slow pass.

Imo, Masquerain's optimal moveset would be Sticky Web / Quiver Dance / Bug Buzz / Baton Pass. If you really wanted to OHKO SR leads then Leavanny would be the better Webber for you. I chose Baton Pass over Ice Beam since Ice Beam is not actually required to deal with Xatu. If Xatu is seen in Preview, Masquerain's best move would be to Quiver Dance first (if Masquerain's opponent can OHKO Masquerain through Sash, still outspeeds at +1, or has priority, gtfo). If Xatu switches in, you can pass the Quiver Dance boosts to something that can better deal with Xatu, like Mesprit or w/e, and make better use of the boosts than Masquerain. If Xatu does not switch in, it will be hard pressed to switch in on a +1 Masquerain now, and it would have no idea whether Masquerain would go for Sticky Web or launch a boosted attack, or even have Web at all. Alternatively, you could Baton Pass on the Xatu switch into a Pursuit user and fuk it over that way.

Sticky Web Masquerain with QuiverPass and Bug STAB (imo) has the most consistency and power out of any other combination of moves Masqy would want.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)