Masquerain [QC: 0/3]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader

QC’d by:
GP’d by:

Overview
########
  • This Bug / Water is unique to the series!!!
  • Masquerain belongs to a plethora of a dual Bug / Flying-type Pokemon that have been released over the years. However, it only really stands out due to a coveted combination in Quiver Dance and Baton Pass
  • A varied movepool that gives it the edge over its fellow companions, sporting access to offensive tools such as Hydro Pump and Ice Beam that grant it more coverage. Its support movepool also extends to valued moves such as Sticky Web
  • Access to Intimidate and a 4x resistance to Fighting- and Grass-type moves gives Masquerain a chance to abuse switch ins into these
  • Its stats are pretty mediocre as it is, with only a base 80 Special Attack as its usable offensive stat and a slow base 60 Speed stat. Luckily, both are mitigated by the aforementioned Quiver Dance
  • A multitude of weaknesses from Ice- and Flying-type moves, as well as a 4x weakness to Stealth Rock, make it hard to fit in on a team as it doesn’t synergize well with many Pokemon
  • Outclassed in many roles and as it is very one-dimensional, it can be predictable in what it does
QuiverPass
########
name: QuiverPass
move 1: Quiver Dance
move 2: Baton Pass
move 3: Air Slash / Bug Buzz
move 4: Roost
ability: Intimidate
item: Leftovers / Focus Sash
evs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
nature: Timid

Moves
========
  • Quiver Dance was bestowed to many of the Bug / Flying brethren, and Masquerain is no exception. The boosts it grants are pivotal for the Pokemon that Masquerain will pass to, turning them into formidable sweepers after one turn of set up. The bug also benefits from it itself, giving some sting to its STAB moves and some cushion from special attacks.
  • Baton Pass is an important move on the set as it allows Masquerain to pass the required boosts obtained from Quiver Dance. The move itself also serves as a way for it to pivot out of danger. Its initial slowness can also give a free switch-in to a teammate of choice, giving it utility outside of just passing.
  • Air Slash and Bug Buzz are interchangeable and may be chosen depending on what is the most desired coverage option. Air Slash covers Fighting- and Grass-types, provides more neutral coverage, and has that nasty flinch chance. Bug Buzz, on the other hand, hits Psychic- and Dark-types while also having more power than Air Slash
  • Roost plays a more defensive role and allows Masquerain to mitigate Stealth Rock damage and potentially have more chances to set up and pass.
Set Details
========
  • Intimidate is the ability of choice as it allows Masquerain to cushion physical hits and switch in on moves it resists (such as its 4x resistance to both Fighting-type and Grass-type moves)
  • The item of choice is dependent on how Masquerain is played. If playing Masquerain in a conservative way, Roost accompanied by Leftovers would be optimal in order to account for more chances of setting up. However, a Focus Sash + Sticky Web could be utilized as a sort of “lead set”, ensuring that Masquerain has at least one chance to set up and either baton pass boosts, or lay down a powerful entry hazard
  • 248 HP gives Masquerain all-around bulk, while allowing it to switch into Stealth Rock three possible times. Max Speed allows Masquerain to outspeed even +2 Jolly Carracosta after just 1 boost
  • Timid is the nature of choice as it allows Masquerain to outspeed as much as possible; for example, Adamant Barbaracle and Torterra
Usage Tips
========
  • Switch in Masquerain by virtue of a slow U-turn or Volt Switch and take advantage of its key resistances in order to effectively set up on a target. There might only be one chance at doing this, so take advantage of it
  • Masquerain can threaten and force switches when it faces fat Pokemon such as Tangela and Gourgeist (XL / S); as such, it can use them as set up bait.
  • Abusing Intimidate and attacking, instead of setting up right off the bat, is a good way of conserving Masquerain and can give the player a feel of how their opponent plays for an ample opportunity later on.
  • Even with Roost, Masquerain will most likely only have one chance of setting up, due to its relative frailness and not having a consistent way of buying free turns. In the event that passing is just not possible, Masquerain can just do the aforementioned role as an Intimidate pivot, or serve as death fodder for a healthy switch-in.
Team Options
========
  • Due to a massive Stealth Rock weakness, a Rapid Spinner or a Defogger is appropriate in order to give Masquerain a safe switch in. Avalugg can further abuse Intimidate with its immense physical bulk and check threats much more easily, even with the shared Rock-type weakness. Prinplup and Vibrava synergize well with Masquerain by virtue of their typings, can deal with Rock-types, and can get rid of the hazard easily
  • Recipients play a big role in how Masquerain contributes towards its teams, and as such, choosing ample candidates is required for its success. Pokemon such as Haunter, Chatot, Rotom-F, Frogadier, Kadabra, and Altaria are such examples of Pokemon who can abuse the boosts Masquerain accumulates, and sweep opposing teams. Some of these can have some bad synergy that hinders switches, but can otherwise prove to be lethal
  • A Fighting-type such as Throh can be of great help when dealing with Rock-types and phazers such as Golem and Piloswine, respectively. It can come in on resisted hits and even phaze itself in order to prevent a disruption.
  • A Taunt user such as Misdreavus can be of great help to Masquerain in order to shut down hazards, phazing and Taunt itself
Other Options
########
  • Dedicated Lead Sticky Web set (outclassed by Kricketune / Ariados) with Stun Spore and U-turn as possible supporting options.
  • Offensive Quiver Dance (outclassed by Butterfree) has access to coverage options such as Hydro Pump and Ice Beam
  • Tailwind for a stronger speed boost at the cost of a limited time over Sticky Web
  • Scald as a non-STAB option that may give Masquerain even more chances to set up if it manages to cripple an opposing foe with a burn
Checks & Counters
########
  • Rock-types such as Golem can effectively remove it swiftly with their STABs; Stealth Rock by extension. Beware of surprise Water-type attacks
  • Taunt users such as Misdreavus can effectively shut down Masquerain
  • Phazing can remove the receiver from play and force Masquerain to potentially have 50% of its health stripped by Stealth Rock yet again
  • Virtually anything faster than Masquerain can completely destroy it before it even moves. Ice-types such as Sneasel and Piloswine (Ice Shard / Roar), Fire-types such as Simisear and Rapidash, and Flying-types such as Dodrio and Scyther are capable of doing this. In addition to this, most of these go down the physical route and as such don’t care about the special defense boosts Masquerain accumulates (and Intimidate won’t change this).

Last edited:

WhiteDMist

Path>Goal
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Honestly, I think Sticky Web can be de-slashed and kept in Moves, or even be left to Other Options. Sticky Web already has Leavanny as a good setter and Kricketune as an alternative. Masqerain kind of sucks tbh, so I think sticking to pure Quiver Pass is its best chance, rather than adding something that just divides its focus. QC, weigh in on this, as I am mostly theorymonning.

For Usage Tips, note that even with Roost, Masquerain will likely only have 1 chance to set up and BP (due to it lacking any way to really buy free turns except Intimidate). But even after it passes, it stick works as an Intimidate pivot, or death fodder pivoting (due to SR).

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Agreeing with WDM, masquerain is amediocre webs setter, as litterrally anything else can set it up better, and webs takes it away from its main focus (oo or moves max). QD pass is also a small niche, as huntail pass is pretty much better. Im not 100% if this should get a set is should probably be something like QD / BP / Scald or Bug Buzz / Roost or Sub. I think a more defensive spread could be mentioned in set details, with 20 and the rest in bulk (beats neutral max 70s). The Speed EV's are more important for outspeeding tauros/raichu/jumpluff at +1.

I will go through this in more detail later, Blitzamirin

e: after thinking and playing a bit more, im doubting whether masq deserves an analysis. ill talk too more qc tho

Last edited:

Blitz

Mightiest of Cleaves
is a Member of Senior Staffis a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Battle Simulator Admin Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Discord Leader
Honestly, I think Sticky Web can be de-slashed and kept in Moves, or even be left to Other Options. Sticky Web already has Leavanny as a good setter and Kricketune as an alternative. Masqerain kind of sucks tbh, so I think sticking to pure Quiver Pass is its best chance, rather than adding something that just divides its focus. QC, weigh in on this, as I am mostly theorymonning.

For Usage Tips, note that even with Roost, Masquerain will likely only have 1 chance to set up and BP (due to it lacking any way to really buy free turns except Intimidate). But even after it passes, it stick works as an Intimidate pivot, or death fodder pivoting (due to SR).
Did this.

e: after thinking and playing a bit more, im doubting whether masq deserves an analysis. ill talk too more qc tho
Alright. I won't change / add another set until this possible rejection is confirmed.

Anty

let's drop
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Looking at what it can set up on in a 1v1 situation:
S-Rank
  • - Depends on set, encore screws it so does ice beam. Circle throw also messes with sub
  • - Nope
A-Rank
A+
  • - no
  • yes o.o
  • no
  • no
  • no
  • yes if sub
  • no
  • no
  • depends if circle throw or sub on masq

A
  • no
  • no
  • no
  • no
  • yes, unless d tail which is kinda rare
  • not really
  • no
  • no
  • no

A-
  • no
  • no
  • no
  • no
  • i guess so, but hates leach seed
  • no
  • depends
  • yes
  • no
  • yes, but 50/50 on sub/bp on a seismic toss/para, tho in masq's advantage
B+
  • no
  • no
  • no
  • sorta, but gets seeded
  • no
  • no-will lose set up war
  • not if ugly is intimidates
  • no
  • no
  • no
  • no
  • sorta

I might have been slightly harsh, but on some of them, masq will have to BP on a hard hit or even status. ALso going through this sub will have to be stated. Also looking at what it sets up on, they are mostly defensive pokes, which sucks for an offensive meta.

Sorry, this is decently written but the mon is poor :(
QC rejected 1/3

seconding what anty said, it's also really outclassed as a baton pass user by togetic, girafarig, and even huntail to an extent. sorry, but masquerain really isn't good enough to recieve an analysis in my opinion. rejected 2/3

scorpdestroyer

it's a skorupi egg
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
since we're giving all FE mons analyses anyway this will go through the QC process but take less priority.

what does QC think of a bit of SpA investment to KO Ninetales after SR with Hydro Pump and slashing that? I can't remember the exact number of EVs which I'll get when I'm off my phone, but it does come with the downside of cutting into Masquerain's bulk

Also I'm not sure how relevant outspeeding +2 Jolly Costa at +1 Spe is (set details) because realistically that isn't going to happen unless you're intending on setting up on Costa

Anty

let's drop
Hi Blitzamirin , sorry that this has been a while so assuming you still want to continue this here is a check :3
Firstly obviously as this hasnt been checked in a while you will have to remove the banned poke mentions and update with the new format

Overview:
This is solid, but the main thing to change is removing things not mentioned on the set like sticky web (or if you want to include it specifically say that it is an outclassed setter)

Set:
Im not sure if roost really deserves a mention as masq has a very limited turns to actually use roost; and it would much rather go for quiver dance then. I guess masquerain doesnt have much else there (sub just makes u easier for priority) though extra coverage could be nice, other QC thoughts?

Moves: this is solid though you might want to mention that attacking move prevents it being taunt fodder and can help in a last poke situation (that has legit happened to me)

SD: When talking about intimidate you shouldnt mention about switching in, as that is unreliable + more for UT
Obviously remove the webs section

UT: I dont really agree with the third point as in such a hazard dominant metagame it is really hard to pivot masq in to things, and its bad typing means a lot of the tier takes it on (restalk machoke and tank torterra are the only things that come to mind when thinking about what masq walls)
You should also talk about when to set masq up

TO: Obviously some of the team mates are going to be outdated here armaldo is the best spinner and pelipper/togetic are the best defoggers
I dont think taunt deserves a specific mention here as it is difficult to taunt with a poke then get missy in (also taunt and phazing users arent very common)
There should be more mentions of partners to beat masq's weaknesses, well electric and fire as they are the most common (especcially for fires as tales sets up all over you)

c&c: can you write this up like **Rock-types**: please

Do this and i will go over it again to possibly stamp

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)