Masuda Method Without Shiny Charm

I'll help using The Machine this time, about 600 eggs per day :)
Off topic: That is quite an amazing piece of tech you created there man! Props to you for coming up with something incredible like that.

On topic: Updated and reached my initial goal of 120 eggs with no shinies to be found. I switched gears from noibats to a male US treecko and a female Japanese helioptile.
Also happy to say that #21 of the new batch yielded me a shiny with right nature, ability and ivs! I'm going to continue to press on with helioptiles though.
Edit: Going to pledge 300 eggs this time around.

Last edited:
I've already been at this for a while with a few thousand eggs. I think I'm throwing off the eggs/shinies per day count though, so I can take my results out if need be.
Hi, always glad to see people up for helping. Maybe I should have clarified this more. The general notion that Wichu pointed out is that there is a bias among people who started hatching eggs prior to making a pledge. People who get shinies are probably more likely to report how many hatches it took than those who didn't get shinies, so we (I think the other people here will back me up on this) only allow you to add to the number if you've pledged to hatch those eggs on the topic in advance. I personally hatched approximately 2,600 eggs myself months ago using MM and only got one shiny, but I didn't include them in this thread because I didn't think those hatches qualified.

Finished first pledge of eggs with no luck. Does it matter if the English pokemon I'm using to breed is an offspring of the Japanese one that it's breeding with?

Edited first post with new pledge.

Finished first pledge of eggs with no luck. Does it matter if the English pokemon I'm using to breed is an offspring of the Japanese one that it's breeding with?

Edited first post with new pledge.
I don't know why that would matter. As long as both the parents are different regions you should be fine (I heard a rumor about it being language but North America and Japan are different on both counts).

Hi, always glad to see people up for helping. Maybe I should have clarified this more. The general notion that Wichu pointed out is that there is a bias among people who started hatching eggs prior to making a pledge. People who get shinies are probably more likely to report how many hatches it took than those who didn't get shinies, so we (I think the other people here will back me up on this) only allow you to add to the number if you've pledged to hatch those eggs on the topic in advance. I personally hatched approximately 2,600 eggs myself months ago using MM and only got one shiny, but I didn't include them in this thread because I didn't think those hatches qualified.
Oh darn. Alright then, I altered the document and took my prior attempts off. I'll get back on the pledging part.

If you counted those eggs as you hatched them more or less exact, they should be ok. You have such a large number of eggs, you are still hatching eggs, and it more or less matches the accepted ratio, so it would seem to be okay. Your sample size is large enough that it shouldn't matter about pledging (I myself have given up on pledges; I just keep hatching eggs, but I try to stop at pretty numbers, eg. 2600, 3000, 3200, ect.).

I'll contribute my results. Started keeping track of the Masuda eggs recently.

240 eggs, 0 shinies.

Probably won't breed any more until I get the shiny charm.

I'm officially through half my pledge. Half a thousand eggs and still no shiny. Looking at the results with SC, I'm starting to think that it DOES indeed stack with MM.

Aaand another batch done with no luck. :( updated original post to include those results and added another 100 egg pledge. Zzz feebas no like me! Gonna switch to a German 5 iv slowpoke and a Canadian 5 iv slowpoke for this batch.

Finished all my batches, no shinys. I kind of want to wait until I get the shiny charm to do anymore. Besides, classes are going to pick up pretty soon and I won't have as much time. Maybe I'll change my mind tomorrow, but I'm at least taking a break for now. Good luck to everyone else.

The Machine finished 555 eggs today, 1 shiny snivy at 488th egg :)

I'll let it do another 500 eggs.

EDIT: Local Serperior + Japanese Ditto.

Last edited:
Hmm, I've been watching this thread with interest since it was created, and I'd like to pledge 300 eggs. They'll be updated in batches of 30 since I sort of only have one box free to work with right now.

I do not have the shiny charm.

Breeding male 5 IV (missing defense) Japanese Litleo with female 5 IV (also missing defense) English Chimchar

If I don't get my shiny in 300 eggs, I'll pledge another 300 eggs.
I also may switch in a flawless female Chimchar if I manage to get one before a shiny.

Egg log

1-30 = complete, no shiny
31-60 = complete, no shiny
61-90 = complete, no shiny
91-120 = complete, no shiny
121-150 = complete, no shiny
151-180 = complete, no shiny
181-210 = complete, no shiny
211-240 = complete, no shiny
241-270 = complete, no shiny
271-300 = complete, no shiny

EDIT: Going to 600

301-330 = complete, no shiny
331-360 = complete, no shiny
361-390 = complete, no shiny
391-420 = complete, no shiny
421-450 = complete, no shiny
451-480 = complete, no shiny
481-510 = complete, no shiny
511-540 = complete, no shiny
541-570 = complete, no shiny
571-600 = complete, no shiny

EDIT: Third pledge lucky? 900 it is.

601-630 = complete, no shiny
631-660 = complete, no shiny
661-690 = complete, no shiny
691-720 = complete, no shiny
721-750 = complete, no shiny
751-780 = complete, no shiny
781-810 = complete, no shiny
811-840 = complete, no shiny
841-870 = complete, no shiny
871-900 = complete, no shiny

Or not... please be in this batch? I don't want to hatch more than 1,200 eggs for a single shiny of a Pokemon I'm kind of starting to hate...

901-930 = complete, no shiny
931-960 = complete, no shiny
961-990 = complete, no shiny
991-1020 = complete, no shiny
1021-1050 = complete, no shiny
1051-1080 = complete, no shiny
1081-1110= complete, no shiny
1111- 1140 = complete, no shiny
1141-1170 = complete, no shiny
1171-1200 = complete, no shiny

To 1,500, and hopefully not beyond!

1201-1230 = complete, no shiny
1231-1260 = complete, no shiny
1261-1290 = complete, no shiny
1291-1320 = complete, no shiny
1321-1350 = complete, no shiny
1351-1380 = complete, no shiny
1381-1410 = complete, no shiny
1411-1440 = complete, no shiny
1441-1470 = complete, no shiny
1471-1500 = complete, no shiny

1,800 I guess...

1501-1530 = not yet started

Last edited:
I might as well do another pledge. 900 eggs this time. I probably won't get the shiny charm for at least a week and I've been watching a lot of TV anyway. Male Japanese Ralts, Female American Tynamo.

Batch 1: 0/150
Batch 2: 0/150
Batch 3: 1/150 (Switched to Male Korean Dratini and Female American Helioptile after 11 eggs.)
Batch 4: 1/150 (Switched to Male japanese Mawile and Female American Scraggy after 100 eggs)
Batch 5: 0/150
Batch 6: 0/150

Last edited:
Just finished my pledge. A thousand eggs, not a single shiny to be seen. I'm officially done for now. If I try something like this again, it will be after I get the Shiny Charm. Hope you guys have better luck.

Continuing on with my pledge of 300 more eggs and #109 was a shiny. I guess helioptiles really like me or something...
I'm slowly getting my pledge done and updating the spreadsheet at approximately every 30 eggs.

Edit: Pledge #: 240/300 so far.

Last edited:
Why do many of you guys breed two different species together? Eggs form at a quicker rate when both parents are the same species.

Why do many of you guys breed two different species together? Eggs form at a quicker rate when both parents are the same species.
Eggs form quickly enough with two pokemon of different species and OT breed. That provides the 50% chance of an egg that two pokemon of the same species and OT can make.

Also, a lot of people are also IV breeding, and they might not have a male parent with good IVs.

I have the oval charm, it doesn't take too long to get eggs. Eggs come at a steady rate for me. Besides, good IVs are easier to come by when asking for a more common pokemon like ralts or dratini. At least in my experience.

Edit: I finally got a shiny =) The Tynamo's only missing HP and Attack ivs. I'll wait to update the chart once I finish my current batch. I'm going to switch pokemon too.

Last edited:
Alright, that's my pledge done. 300 eggs and not a shiny Chimchar in sight. I've been trying to hatch this thing since Christmas. I've pledging 300 more eggs though, which will bring it up to 600. I'll keep updating in batches on my first post, reply #40.

I just joined smogon for this thread. I've been MMing Marills, but no luck yet and I decided to put it towards this research. I have 10 boxes of Marill eggs saved up(300 eggs), and I'm about to hatch them. I'll post back results as I hatch each box.

forgot to mention: male jap marill with female US marill

Results:
box 1:no shinies
box 2:no shinies
box 3:no shinies
box 4:no shinies
box 5:no shinies
box 6:no shinies
box 7:no shinies
box 8:incomplete
box 9:incomplete
box 10:incomplete

Last edited:
Before I got the shiny charm (Yesterday) I hatched 2,000 eggs and got 7 shinnies. I don't know if I should add that to the document since I didn't pledge to this thread before doing it. xD (Tipping for the win!)

I'll do batches of 30 at a time. I do not have the Shiny Charm.

Previous project: Japanese Ditto and English Squirtle

BATCH 1: No shinies
BATCH 2: No shinies

Current Project: Japanese Ditto and English Trevenant

BATCH 3: No shinies
BATCH 4: No shinies
BATCH 5: No shinies
BATCH 6: No shinies
BATCH 7: In progress

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)