Masuda Method Without Shiny Charm

skylight

a sky full of lighters ☆
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Now that pokebank is out (so I can actually y'know, breed with enough room to store monz) I'm gonna pledge 100 eggs. I'll be breeding Fletchling c:

Last edited:
Well, I'm officially the person on this thread who's hatched the most eggs without finding a shiny. I'm starting to think I'm doing something wrong... Going to 1,500. Might remove the everstone from the Chimchar if I don't get the shiny in this batch. I heard somewhere that using both it and the destiny knot at once lowers your chances of getting a shiny. Anyways, onwards! Again, sorry for my data skewing your results. I bred two other shinies, a Riolu for my fiancee that only too 200 something eggs and a Vulpix for myself that took 40 something eggs. If I had known the Chimchar would take this long, I wouldn't have bothered. As much as I like contributing to the spreadsheet, once I get the Chimchar, I think I'm going to take a long break from breeding. It's just frustrating and not fun anymore.

Well, now that the pokemon bank is out, I'll finally have space to mass breed on my X with the shiny charm.

I guess I'll take a break now, already hatched 7000 eggs :)

I am using a JAP ditto and a Rotom, I will hatch eggs till I get a Shiny then I switch parents and go for a second, So i guess that would make my pledge the eggs needed to get aleast two shinies

It took me 2300 eggs to get a shiny koffing last month. Where did you hear the everstone decreases the chances? I always use both an everstone and destiny knot.

My egg hatching has been slowed with Bank - will resume when I can. 198 eggs and no shinies as of yet, using ITA and CAD Scyther.

It took me 2300 eggs to get a shiny koffing last month. Where did you hear the everstone decreases the chances? I always use both an everstone and destiny knot.
I actually saw it on the other shiny thread. http://www.smogon.com/forums/thread...olunteers-needed.3496464/page-24#post-5207431 I dunno if there's any truth to it, but I just really want to stop hatching Chimchar eggs. I'm about ready to try anything. A Chimchar was the first bank only Pokemon I got. I don't even really care for Chimchars, but I thought a little breeding project would be fun to celebrate. I got my other two shinies from breeding so quickly that I wrongly assumed it must be much, much easier to breed shinies in this gen.

I am using a JAP ditto and a Rotom, I will hatch eggs till I get a Shiny then I switch parents and go for a second, So i guess that would make my pledge the eggs needed to get aleast two shinies
I am pretty sure doing it that way skews the results. You should probably do it in increments of 100, and finish out the 100 you are on if you hatch a shiny.

I am pretty sure doing it that way skews the results. You should probably do it in increments of 100, and finish out the 100 you are on if you hatch a shiny.
Okay I Can do that before I switch over to a different Pokemon. I just wish that 30 went in to a 100 nicer

Updated post on first page. #4 I believe. Finally got my shiny charm so I'll have to stop contributing to this thread meow. :( sorry I wasn't more helpful.

Updated post #68 - Got back into the swing of shiny hatching after bringing some gen V Pokemon over.

Question; if I get a shiny and swap over to another Pokemon within the same batch will that skew the data?

Last edited:
Updated post #68 - Got back into the swing of shiny hatching after bringing some gen V Pokemon over.

Question; if I get a shiny and swap over to another Pokemon within the same batch will that skew the data?
I don't see why that would influence the data. As long as you're still using Masuda Method (parents are of different region) you should be fine.

I don't own a Shiny Charm, but I got a shiny Porygon with a 6IV Jap Ditto and a 5IV Eng Porygon in the first four batches (may have been #18). I will pledge enough Eggs to make it 200 (including the 20 I've already hatched). I may switch the Porygon for another 5IV Eng Pokemon, but I'll keep it for now.

I don't know if you'll accept this, but I'll explain.
I decided a few days ago to get myself a shiny Eevee, so I traded for a Japanese Male Eevee and used my 5iv Female Eevee. Then, I said I'd do 10 boxes, then switch to Safari for a few days, and switch back again.
I was half way through box 4 when I found this thread, but I'm a bit erratic in terms of how much time I spend sitting down at any time, so didn't want to pledge.

Anyway, I somehow managed to get an Eevee on egg 212, but figured I'd keep going to the 10 boxes I promised myself (I wanted another, and I figured I could maybe help out here).

I didn't find one in FS, and I REALLY want a Glaceon as well, so I'm making another pledge of 150 to start, I may increase that to 300 if I get through 150 fast enough :)

SO:
1/300
0/23 (150 goal)

Question: Heard rumours that switching parents out breaks a "chain" of sorts. Proven, Unknown or Crap? It doesnt seem right, but I'd like to know.

I don't know if you'll accept this, but I'll explain.
I decided a few days ago to get myself a shiny Eevee, so I traded for a Japanese Male Eevee and used my 5iv Female Eevee. Then, I said I'd do 10 boxes, then switch to Safari for a few days, and switch back again.
I was half way through box 4 when I found this thread, but I'm a bit erratic in terms of how much time I spend sitting down at any time, so didn't want to pledge.

Anyway, I somehow managed to get an Eevee on egg 212, but figured I'd keep going to the 10 boxes I promised myself (I wanted another, and I figured I could maybe help out here).

I didn't find one in FS, and I REALLY want a Glaceon as well, so I'm making another pledge of 150 to start, I may increase that to 300 if I get through 150 fast enough :)

SO:
1/300
0/23 (150 goal)

Question: Heard rumours that switching parents out breaks a "chain" of sorts. Proven, Unknown or Crap? It doesnt seem right, but I'd like to know.
I don't think we should include results from eggs hatched prior to making a pledge.

As long as the new parent has the same region as the one you're replacing I don't think it makes a difference in the shiny hatching odds. I've never heard of this "chain" when it comes to breeding.

Hi, I think it's great that someone organized this little research project. I signed up on the forum just to contribute to this, if you guys are still collecting data. :)
I'm trying for a shiny eevee. The parents are a Japanese ditto and a female eevee that I hatched myself. I'll pledge 100 eggs for now. I'll update this post when I have hatched them all.

Edit 2/25/2014: 100 hatched, no shiny. If I hatch another hundred, I will mention my result. I may instead decide to finish my pokedex and get the shiny charm, however.
I'm assuming I should add the data to the document myself, so I did that. If I wasn't supposed to, then I apologize.

Edit again: I went ahead and got the shiny charm, so I guess I'll contribute numbers to the other thread now.

Last edited:
Someone thought it would be funny to fuck up all the data in the shiny charm research, and apparently he decided to do the same with this research. I'm going to roll it back to before that dick touched it.

Edit: Seriously this kid's level of maturity is virtually 0...

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)