Mature Pokémon?

ElectivireRocks

Banned deucer.
Weren't the first games as well as the first season of the anime way more mature than they are now? Or is it just my impression? Why would they make them more and more kid-friendly as time passes instead of the other way around?

I mean we had things like Mewtwo's origin story, most trainers using whips, Team Rocket murdering pokemon... and then we got things like Pokemon contests which were diabetes inducing in comparison.

Yes TR recruits were just as dumb as the other teams', but that's what made them even creepier. I was under the impression that they were all psychopaths.
The current ones... not so much. Starting from Team Aqua/Magma I could no longer take them seriously.

Even the locations were legitimately creepier. Lavender Town and the Pokemon Mansion could have been easily be placed in a survival horror game and still work. Nowdays we have things like Amity Square instead.

I don't exactly crave a more mature pokemon game, it is what it is but I wish they didn't emphasize the childish parts and made it look more realistic. For example I did not like how the pokemon contest was all pink and glittery. The contests in R/S/E were more mature looking.
Same here man. Same here.

Plus there's the fact that R/S/E contests had more strategy to them, making them more fun.

I think they tried this with Pokemon ReBURST, but they don't seem to understand what older fans want to get out of a continuity. The characters were great, and their interactions at intimate moments were wonderful, but the whole thing was hard to swallow because it was drawn to look like a kids comic, and there was too much spirit evolving going on.

Weren't the first games as well as the first season of the anime way more mature than they are now? Or is it just my impression? Why would they make them more and more kid-friendly as time passes instead of the other way around?

I mean we had things like Mewtwo's origin story, most trainers using whips, Team Rocket murdering pokemon... and then we got things like Pokemon contests which were diabetes inducing in comparison.

Yes TR recruits were just as dumb as the other teams', but that's what made them even creepier. I was under the impression that they were all psychopaths.
The current ones... not so much. Starting from Team Aqua/Magma I could no longer take them seriously.

Even the locations were legitimately creepier. Lavender Town and the Pokemon Mansion could have been easily be placed in a survival horror game and still work. Nowdays we have things like Amity Square instead.
Apart from the outfits, TR from gen1 and 2 simulated what mobsters would be like in the pokemon world. That is what made them cool.

To be fair though, I think one of the coolest things in pokemon is that Church in gen4. Did that place actually have any purpose? It just makes it a whole lot eerier if it doesn't, which would be awesome.

*briefly researches*
"In this series, Ryouga and many others have the ability to turn into a Pokémon-human hybrid by using a special technique called Burst."
This sounds super lame...
LJ are you serious that series was fucking lame yeah I changed my mind halfway through the sentence.

I actually want to say that Pokémon is already a mature game - Gratitious violence, sex crimes and swearing might increase the age rating, but ultimately makes the games less mature.

I actually want to say that Pokémon is already a mature game - Gratitious violence, sex crimes and swearing might increase the age rating, but ultimately makes the games less mature.
We don't mean mature in terms of 'moral dubiousness', but in terms of character and plot complexity as well as realistic motives behind character decisions. Basically not just having straight-cut bad guys and good guys, with the good guys easily saving the day and making everybody live happily ever after.

i think black and white did a pretty good job of this - the only real thing was that the team plasma itself (not n or ghetsis) was pretty pathetic - not really having any type of morals or whatever. still, i think they might make cooler villains in x/y.

as it seems, it's a genetics theme. going back to the basics and looking, perhaps, more in-depth into those scattered journals around the pokemon mansion. there is so much potential here. maybe it will create something like the "what makes a monster and what makes a man" motif of the hunchback of notre dame. maybe it will question how far science should really go. maybe it discusses the balance of nature and industry. i can see many, many viable questions of morals that they could create, and it would be insanely cool if your choices in accordance to these morals can affect the outcome of the game, even if it's not by much.

Hmmm.... manga, novel, anime, or game? I think I'd prefer either a manga or an anime for a pokemon style change.

i think black and white did a pretty good job of this - the only real thing was that the team plasma itself (not n or ghetsis) was pretty pathetic - not really having any type of morals or whatever. still, i think they might make cooler villains in x/y.
Black and White certainly did better in terms of having interesting theming and character motivations. If X and Y went even farther that would be fantastic.

I wonder... how well would a series about a character of age 20+ do?
Matthias is the Florachroma city gym leader. He works hard, is kind to others and loves his job. Trainers respect him for his skill, and his methods are acknowledged by other gym leaders. Things were going well with Hanna too, who he thought he may even ask to marry him. Team Dusk changed all that.
Over night his gym was discredited. Authorities accused him of using illegal enhancers, taking bribes, ignoring regulations during battles, faking his license, and worst of all stealing his pokemon. "We're going to have to shut down your gym, confiscate your Pokemon, and put you on trial. This is the way it has to be." Everything was wrong. Who created these lies? Why would they want to ruin him? Why won't anyone believe him, even Hanna? He knew what he had to do... Matthias closed down the gym, packed a few things, and grabbed 3 of his pokeballs. No more pokecenters, no more marts, no more pcs, no more family, no more friends... but he wasn't giving up without a fight. He was going to find out the truth, one way or another.

(sorry if its generic, but I just spit this out for sake of example)

I wonder... how well would a series about a character of age 20+ do?
Matthias is the Florachroma city gym leader. He works hard, is kind to others and loves his job. Trainers respect him for his skill, and his methods are acknowledged by other gym leaders. Things were going well with Hanna too, who he thought he may even ask to marry him. Team Dusk changed all that.
Over night his gym was discredited. Authorities accused him of using illegal enhancers, taking bribes, ignoring regulations during battles, faking his license, and worst of all stealing his pokemon. "We're going to have to shut down your gym, confiscate your Pokemon, and put you on trial. This is the way it has to be." Everything was wrong. Who created these lies? Why would they want to ruin him? Why won't anyone believe him, even Hanna? He knew what he had to do... Matthias closed down the gym, packed a few things, and grabbed 3 of his pokeballs. No more pokecenters, no more marts, no more pcs, no more family, no more friends... but he wasn't giving up without a fight. He was going to find out the truth, one way or another.

(sorry if its generic, but I just spit this out for sake of example)
that actually sounds pretty interesting. the main reason that characters of that age don't tend to be used is it's because it's not only harder for the target audience (presumably teens) to identify with this person, but it also means that they'll lose some... sympathy, i guess, from viewers for being a fully-grown adult.

at least, i could see this becoming a very intriguing fanfic. i'd read it if you made it. you seem quite competent in writing.

that actually sounds pretty interesting. the main reason that characters of that age don't tend to be used is it's because it's not only harder for the target audience (presumably teens) to identify with this person, but it also means that they'll lose some... sympathy, i guess, from viewers for being a fully-grown adult.

at least, i could see this becoming a very intriguing fanfic. i'd read it if you made it. you seem quite competent in writing.
I already put a lot of my time into side projects, though one of those side projects happens to be heading a role play with my friends. We were talking about doing a Pokemon based one after we finish the current one, and one them offered to convert the events of the current one into a story. If we end up doing that (which we probably will) I'll be sure to post it somewhere that Smogon folk can read it.

I have a feeling the current one might be ending soon. I tend to force my players into situations that create tension and controversy, and the drama got real... lol. Better for the story, not so good for friendship.

I already put a lot of my time into side projects, though one of those side projects happens to be heading a role play with my friends. We were talking about doing a Pokemon based one after we finish the current one, and one them offered to convert the events of the current one into a story. If we end up doing that (which we probably will) I'll be sure to post it somewhere that Smogon folk can read it.

I have a feeling the current one might be ending soon. I tend to force my players into situations that create tension and controversy, and the drama got real... lol. Better for the story, not so good for friendship.
you roleplay, too? pretty sweet. i'm waiting for one of my friends to reply... except... HE HASN'T DONE IT IN ALMOST A MONTH ASDFGHJKL

c'mon man i know you're really busy but that's a bit much :c

(and i know he hasn't given up on it he really is just the kind of guy to procrastinate for a really long time)

personally...
/looks to the left
/looks to the right

it's a pokemon one, but they're actually in the brawl world - you know, the world of trophies? except... i'm the only one that knows that, so i've been given subtle hints along the way, like having pokemon trainer's ivysaur appear (though they obviously don't know who she is yet). nobody's said anything yet, so i don't think they've figured it out. i like doing big reveal things or plot twists - keeps it fresh, i think.

i am curious, though. what is your current one based on?

you roleplay, too? pretty sweet. i'm waiting for one of my friends to reply... except... HE HASN'T DONE IT IN ALMOST A MONTH ASDFGHJKL
We only play live. When two or more players (other than me) are online (on skype) then I'll open up my excel file with team/town info on it and then we play for an hour or two. The other team members are commanded by the present players.

it's a pokemon one, but they're actually in the brawl world - you know, the world of trophies? except... i'm the only one that knows that, so i've been given subtle hints along the way, like having pokemon trainer's ivysaur appear (though they obviously don't know who she is yet). nobody's said anything yet, so i don't think they've figured it out. i like doing big reveal things or plot twists - keeps it fresh, i think.
Woah... I'm not sure if that counts as a crossover, or a modification or... trippy.

i am curious, though. what is your current one based on?
Um... not sure how to explain this... original content. I have a store of races, classes, lore, geography, and characters to pull from. I've actually never done a serious role play before, but I love making games and I decided to try my hand at this sort of thing. It's all very organized with a map and other info on an excel sheet, character stats saved on a private forum only viewable by the players, and a simple time, dungeon, and combat system. Too in depth? Maybe, but it has taught me a couple things about game design along the way.

Magistrum

DOITSU NO KAGAKU WA SEKAI ICHI
is a Top Artist Alumnus
A pokemon geared toward a more mature target market? Hmmm here are some ideas that come to mind:

1. Ingame partner/ crush/ love interest: I second Rodan's notion, having a few male/ female companions to interact with in certain points in the game [and maybe one of them become your ingame bf/gf @ postgame] where you can do multi battles with, give gifts, etc. Gen 4's double battle partners were a good foundation that were poorly executed. So i kinda wish for more main characters (not just you, your rival, pkmn professor and assistant, but many more, perhaps making a team to combat a more sinister organization than team rocket lol). Also makes your character more alive and deep rather than someone who just travels, wins matches and gets legends.

2. Varying Plot Points: Something that actually gives you variety ingame, such as having different plot choices in certain points in the game (you get to choose between which cities/routes to go to first and thus gives a different story progression.)

3. Someone dies: Usually cliche but this is something that definitively gives a more mature feel. A major character is usually preferred, could either be a pokemon or a human.

4. Sound/ Music: This definitely is a factor in giving a more mature feel. Upbeat music is okay, but giving variety to more sorrowful tunes or a lovey-dovey atmosphere(for suggestion #1) would be nice. Also some voice clips wouldn't hurt to add emotion and tone to various events and cutscenes.

A pokemon geared toward a more mature target market? Hmmm here are some ideas that come to mind:

1. Ingame partner/ crush/ love interest: I second Rodan's notion, having a few male/ female companions to interact with in certain points in the game [and maybe one of them become your ingame bf/gf @ postgame] where you can do multi battles with, give gifts, etc. Gen 4's double battle partners were a good foundation that were poorly executed. So i kinda wish for more main characters (not just you, your rival, pkmn professor and assistant, but many more, perhaps making a team to combat a more sinister organization than team rocket lol). Also makes your character more alive and deep rather than someone who just travels, wins matches and gets legends.

2. Varying Plot Points: Something that actually gives you variety ingame, such as having different plot choices in certain points in the game (you get to choose between which cities/routes to go to first and thus gives a different story progression.)

3. Someone dies: Usually cliche but this is something that definitively gives a more mature feel. A major character is usually preferred, could either be a pokemon or a human.
1.Reminds me of the girl from Colosseum, though I don't think she ended up being a very in depth character. What would make it really interesting to me is if your relationship with other characters affected their resulting team.

2.I've always thought it was odd for a game that depends so much on exploring and finding things to be mostly linear. I understand it's easier on the younger audience, but I don't feel it really fits Pokemon.

3.Including death in a story shows that it doesn't ignore real life problems, with death itself being one of the major ones. I'm finally going all the way through White Version (Gen 5 has all been Smogon for me) and I thought the relationship between Bianca and her dad was rather interesting. He doesn't want her to go on the adventure because he feels it would be dangerous but she goes anyway, creating tension between them. She's having all kinds of fun on her adventure, when it turns out that he hunted her down and want to take her home. A supermodel showing up and telling her dad that everyone should be able to do whatever they want was a silly way to resolve it, but I think it's situations like those that have potential.

Bummer

Jamming to the beat
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I really like the idea of this. Pokemon games already have some replay value since you can pull off different team combinations and such, but to actively change how the story unfolds would be yet another feather in the hat. But since they always come out with different versions, odds are that they may stick to their usual protocol and keep those different plots separated in each version, thus creating some variety but still leaves the player with no saying in the matter. But even if it doesn't have to be major plot elements, simply being able to affect how other NPCs develop or decide for yourself in what order you want to beat the gyms (first time you enter it, the levels of the trainer's teams are calculated accordingly).

Also, being able to decide the difficulty at the start of the game. Some modes could be unlocked after beating or progressing through the game (INSANE after beating HARD, TODDLER after losing 10 times on EASY), but if they have the resources to increase the difficulty then I want that option available straight from the get-go.

pokemon dating sim
Pokemon DayCare.

Next topic.

I really think the anime needs a reboot. I dont think i can take Ash losing yet another league thanks to a guy with legendarys or pokemon evolving bullcrap. They should start fresh and make a new and more mature main character who doesnt have companions who are completely useless or badly developed characters.

I really like the idea of this. Pokemon games already have some replay value since you can pull off different team combinations and such, but to actively change how the story unfolds would be yet another feather in the hat. But since they always come out with different versions, odds are that they may stick to their usual protocol and keep those different plots separated in each version, thus creating some variety but still leaves the player with no saying in the matter. But even if it doesn't have to be major plot elements, simply being able to affect how other NPCs develop or decide for yourself in what order you want to beat the gyms (first time you enter it, the levels of the trainer's teams are calculated accordingly).

Also, being able to decide the difficulty at the start of the game. Some modes could be unlocked after beating or progressing through the game (INSANE after beating HARD, TODDLER after losing 10 times on EASY), but if they have the resources to increase the difficulty then I want that option available straight from the get-go.

Next topic.
well, how exactly can you 'lose' in Pokemon? Although I do agree that having to unlock hard mode was annoying

the team changing reminds me of bloody platinum, where the "alignment" of the team would change depending on the starter you chose. i believe if you chose piplup, the rival's team would be based on defence, turtwig was speed, and chimchar was offence. i could be wrong, but that seems like a *~decent*~ way to do it, although i really liked the differing eeveelution thing in yellow depending on your performance against blue.

well, how exactly can you 'lose' in Pokemon? Although I do agree that having to unlock hard mode was annoying
"Player Blacked Out."
That's the equivalent of losing all your lives in Super Mario. (though it's getting harder to lose in Mario these days too.)
Otherwise you could view being stuck on a gym as "losing."

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)