Mawile (Analysis) [QC 4/4] (GP 3/3)

ebeast

she's probably sexting nprtprt
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Saved the written information using Amarillo's advice and changed to the bullet point format. It is now ready for QC Checks!!

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
It says to give it the most bulk after an Intimidate, which makes sense since Focus Punch is negative priority and Sucker Punch is positive priority. I still doubt the usefulness of the set, so you could you give me 10 replays of 10 battles in a row using this set (no cherrypicking good battles please).

ebeast

is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Ok, after a good amount of testing I have found the SubPunch set to be pretty underwhelming(like people have been telling me... Sorry I'm stubborn :/) so I am going to move that set to OO.

ebeast

Ok, I finished cleaning the analysis up with bullet points, moved Sub Punch to OO, and added a bulky SD set in AC. I think that this is now truly ready for QC checks!

Iron Head should be slashed before Substitute so Mawile isn't complete Taunt-bait.

Make sure to expand on your comments when you write this up, and also unbold all the headers and tags

QC APPROVED (2/3)

ebeast

Thanks Tennisace and Omicron. This analysis was already written up before I changed to bullet point format, in which I skimmed through from the written portion. So hopefully my written format will be set with the amount of comments you want on it, but changing it is no big deal.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Thanks Tennisace and Omicron. This analysis was already written up before I changed to bullet point format, in which I skimmed through from the written portion. So hopefully my written format will be set with the amount of comments you want on it, but changing it is no big deal.
Well, as long as they're expanded upon, it'd be good.

QC APPROVED 3/3

ebeast

Hmm, I think I'll wait until Tier Shifts for this one. I have what I have right now, and will be making changes accordingly when new usage stats come out.

EDIT: While waiting, I'm not sure if I should keep my current last line in the overview and/or what to replace it with. I feel it is in my nature to end it off with a witty line, but so far what I have is a reference to a manga. lol Hitman Reborn.

ebeast

Updated the skeleton to match with the new tier shifts. Not sure If this needs to pass QC again, so I'll leave it as 3/6 until told otherwise. I'll update the written version afterwards.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
You don't need to go through QC again. Just remove mentions of changed Pokemon. If anything is significantly different, you can ask a QC member.

Orcinus Duo

Banned deucer.
because i'm bored
and because i must get three GP done today
otherwise i might get the urge to do, you know
actual work

I place a post upon this thread
With thy beauty, I must wed.

Orcinus is a pothead.

oh yeah, this is a placeholder

Orcinus Duo

Banned deucer.
I remember taking a Mawile into the E4 in this nuzlocke. RIP, Betty. This one's for you.

Mawile(chase)

[Overview]
<p>Mawile is a pokemon that has been overlooked since its debut in ADV due to its poor stats. After two generations of being completely ignored, Mawile finally has a chance to shine thanks to its [there are two spaces here] Dream World ability, Sheer Force,. which Combined with an adequate movepool and priority moves, it is now able to let it strike fear against in allthose who that oppose it. Sadly[comma] its stats are still sub-par and setting up can be difficult against in a tier ruled dominated by p[capital] Pokemon who can easily take on Mawile before it sets up, such as but certainly not limited to Braviary, Magmortar, and Camerupt. However[comma] don't let Mawile's gentle appearance deceive you, for if you underestimate it, it will seize the advantage and bite you to death.</p>

[Set][SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Iron Head
move 3: Fire Fang
move 4: Sucker Punch / Crunch
item: Life Orb
ability: Sheer Force
nature: Jolly
evs: 28 HP/ 252 Atk/ 228 Spe

[Set Comments][SET COMMENTS]
<p>With Mawile's new ability in Sheer Force, it is now able to compete with the big boys of NU in terms of '"sheer'" firepower. Thanks to its good excellent defensive typing and decent bulk, it can set up a Swords Dance and have its Attack skyrocket to a huge monstrous 538 Attack [comma] backed up by , subject to further increase with Life Orb, and Sheer Force, and priority. Iron Head is provides a reliable STAB attack and with Fire Fang provide decent coverage for the NU tier with the lack of viable Water types along with both of the moves being boosted by Sheer Force, while fire fang rounds off its coverage decently, as Water-types in NU are few and far between. Both attacks are boosted with Sheer Force. In the end Mawile has the option of using either Sucker Punch or Crunch to complete the set. Sucker Punch provides good priority for Mawile to hit faster opponents, but Crunch gets boosted by Sheer Force and lets you take out Misdreavus so it doesn't bypass Sucker Punch by using Will-O-Wispenables you to take out Misdreavus if it uses Will-O-Wisp. After a Swords Dance boost[comma] Mawile's Sheer Force boosted Iron Head is powerful enough to 2HKO even defensive pokemon that resist it like Mantine or Defensive behemoths like Eviolite Tangela defensive resists such as Mantine, or tanks such as Eviolite Tangela.</p>

[Additional Comments][ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>The EVs are pretty straightforward, with Max Attack for the most damage output, 228 Speed EVs and a Jolly nature to outspeed Max Speed Adamant Torterra, and the rest is dumped into Mawile's HP stat to help it Mawile take a hit slightly better. Mawile prefers to run Sucker Punch over Crunch for the much needed priority, so a teammate that can easily deal with Misdreavus is recommended. While even after a Swords Dance boost Mawile has huge attack, itDespite the skyrocketing power of Mawile at +2 Attack, it nonetheless greatly appreciates hazard support from Stealth Rocks and Spikes for it to do to make its job easier. With Stealth Rocks, Mawile is capable of OHKO'ing Mantine with Crunch and after with Stealth Rocks and a layer of Spikes even Tangela gets 2HKO'd even if it goes for Leech Seed and gets recovery! Please find a better example, seeing as you already have Eviolite Tangela being 2HKO'd with Iron Head, so the same with Crunch (+situational) is a bit redundant. The only hard counter Mawile can't break past,even with hazard support is Quagsire[comma] Technically false, unless there are no feasible Toxic Spikers in NU, in which case ignore me who is easily taken care of by Cacturne, who also supports Mawile by setting up Spikesalthough this is easily remedied with Cacturne, who is also capable of Spikes support. Keep in mind though that this partnering Mawile and Cacturn amounts to a compounded Fire and Fighting weakness. Another option for Mawile is to use a bulky spread focus on bulk, with spreads such as 252 HP / 172 Atk / 84 Spe with while holding Leftovers. This spread hits a Leftovers number and can outspeed and 3HKO Tangela This spread maximizes Leftovers recovery, while still outspeeding and 3HKO'ing Tangela after a Swords Dance.</p>

[Set][SET]
Name: Baton Pass
Move 1: Swords Dance
Move 2: Baton Pass
Move 3: Taunt
Move 4: Substitute / Iron Head
Item: Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
Nature: Jolly
EVs: 252 HP/ 28 Def/ 228 Spe

[Set Comments][SET COMMENTS]
<p>Another niche that Mawile is capable of fulfilling occupies is being the only Baton Pass using Steel Type Steel-type in the tier being capable of passing boosts to team mates. This set takes advantage of Mawile's Intimidate ability by letting you set up a Swords Dance to Baton Pass out to a member of the team who will appreciate it more, and enables it to Baton Pass a Swords Dance to a teammate who will then sweep. Taunt lets it stop slower Taunt users and Phazers from forcing it out combat slower Taunt users, walls, and Phazers. In the end For the final move, Mawile can go for choose to hit something for decent damage with Iron Head to prevent while avoiding being set-up fodder[comma] or Substitute to be able to pass out more than just a Swords Dance run Substitute in the hopes of also passing that off to a teammate.</p>

[Additional Comments][ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>The Speed EVs and Jolly nature are there allows Mawile to outspeed Adamant Torterra and walls in general most walls who will inevitably switch in. With this EV spread[comma] Mawile can outspeed walls and Taunt them[comma] or use your speed to Baton Pass to escape before Torterra can hit you with an its Earthquake. Mawile can also use Iron Defense over Swords Dance to pass Defense boost to Pokemon thatDefense boosts, most notably to set-up Pokemon can use it to set themselves up, such as a Calm Mind Mesprit, who can take advantage of the Defense boosts along with Calm Mind , whose path to become becoming an offensive juggernaut is made easier.</p>

[Other Options]
<p>Mawile is also capable of using a SubPunch set by while taking advantage of Intimidate and Pain Split. The recommended EV's for this set are 76 HP/ 252 Atk/ 180 Def[comma] with Life Orb equipped for Mawile to hit as hard as possible and have as much bulk as it can after an Intimidate while also increasing bulk. However, this set can be beaten by Slowking and other bulky Pokemon due to Sucker Punch easily being stalled by Slack Off and Regenerator as well as other bulky pokemon that are capable of taking Mawile's hits with near impunity.</p>

[Checks and Counters]
<p>Decently poweredpowerful special attackers check it Mawile easily[comma] as even a neutral special attack tears Mawile to shreads. Even Furthermore, some Pokemon Mawile is could be capable of beating such as Magmortar can check it if Mawile has not yet gotten a [there are two spaces here] Swords Dance boost, such as Magmortar. Quagsire is by far the best the most potent counter to Mawile, being able to ignore its boosts even if they are Baton Passed any boosts Mawile might have obtained, and can hit Mawile back with a super effective Earthquake. Emboar is the next best answer to Mawile, resisting all of its commonly carried moves, however SubPunch sets can get around it by being behind a Substitute and Baton Pass sets can outspeed standard non-Scarf Emboar sets to pass on their boosts to something capable on handling Emboar betterand forcing Mawile to run away.Concerning SubPunch v Emboar, I'm not sure what you mean. Is Mawile capable of beating Emboar with Focus Punch (and thus Emboar does not resist all of its commonly carried moves)?</p>

first set said:
evs: 28 HP/ 252 Atk/ 228 Spe
second set said:
EVs: 252 HP/ 28 Def/ 228 Spe
other options said:
76 HP/ 252 Atk/ 180 Def
for the above, make sure there's a space before AND after every slash

there's also a line break after all tags (stuff in square brackets, such as [Overview] and [SET COMMENTS] etc) except [SET], so add those

also in Other Options, change "EV's" to "EVs" (remove the apostrophe)

with that, I'm stamping the above poster's check for GP 1/2

@below, psst, you mean GP 2!

ebeast

Ok, thanks for the check Orcinus and Sirndpt, changes have been implemented.
Ready for GP 2!

Badal

Shit
is a Contributor Alumnus
Unofficial check here!
red --> remove
blue --> add
green --> comments

<p>After two generations of being completely ignored, Mawile finally has a chance to shine thanks to its Dream World ability, Sheer Force. Combined with an adequate movepool and priority moves, it is now able to strike fear in all those who oppose it. Sadly, its stats are still sub-par and setting up can be difficult in a tier dominated by Ppokemon who can easily take on Mawile before it sets up, such as but certainly not limited to as Braviary, Magmortar, and Camerupt. However, don't let Mawile's gentle appearance deceive you, for if you underestimate it, Mawile it will seize the advantage and bite you to death.</p>

[SET]
evs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With Mawile's new ability in Sheer Force, it is now able to compete with the big boys of NU in terms of 'sheer' firepower. Thanks to its excellent defensive typing and decent bulk, it can set up a Swords Dance and skyrocket to a huge high 538 Attack, subject to further increase by Life Orb and Sheer Force. Iron Head provides reliable STAB, while fFire fFang rounds off its coverage decently, as Water-types in NU are few and far between. Both attacks are boosted with by Sheer Force. Mawile has the option of using either Sucker Punch or Crunch to complete the set as the last move. Sucker Punch provides good priority for Mawile to hit faster opponents, but Crunch gets boosted by Sheer Force and enables you Mawile to take out KO Misdreavus if it uses Will-O-Wisp. After a Swords Dance boost, Mawile's Iron Head is powerful enough to 2HKO defensive resists such as Mantine, or tanks such as Eviolite Tangela.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs are pretty straightforward, with Max Attack for the most damage output, 228 Speed EVs and a Jolly nature to outspeed Max Speed Adamant Torterra, and the rest dumped go into HP to help Mawile take a hit slightly better. Since Mawile prefers to run Sucker Punch over Crunch for the much needed priority, so a teammate that can easily deal with Misdreavus is recommended. Despite the skyrocketing power of Mawile at +2 Attack, it nonetheless greatly appreciates hazard support from Stealth Rocks and Spikes to make its job easier. With Stealth Rock, Mawile is capable of OHKO'ing Mantine with Crunch and ; with Stealth Rock and a layer of Spikes, Mawile has a high chance of OHKO'ing the omnipresent specially defensive Camerupt. The only hard counter Mawile can't break past even with Stealth Rock and Spikes support is Quagsire, although this is easily remedied with Cacturne, who is also capable of Spikes support. Keep in mind though that partnering Mawile and Cacturne amounts to a compounded Fire and Fighting weakness. Another option for Mawile is to focus on bulk, with spreads such as 252 HP / 172 Atk / 84 Spe while holding Leftovers. This spread maximizes Leftovers recovery, while still outspeeding and 3HKO'ing Tangela after a Swords Dance.(shouldn't this part be in OO?)</p>

[SET]
name: Baton Pass
move 2: Baton Pass
move 3: Taunt
move 4: Substitute / Iron Head
item: Leftovers
ability: Intimidate
evs: 252 HP/ 28 Def/ 228 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Another niche that Mawile occupies is being the only Baton Pass using Steel-type in the tier. This set takes advantage of Mawile's Intimidate ability and enables it to Baton Pass a Swords Dance to a teammate who will can then sweep. Taunt lets it combat slower Taunt users, walls, and Phazers. It can choose to hit something for decent damage with Iron Head while avoiding being set-up fodder, or run Substitute in the hopes of also passing that off to a teammate.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The Speed EVs and Jolly nature allows Mawile to outspeed Adamant Torterra and most walls who will inevitably switch in. With this EV spread, Mawile can outspeed walls and Taunt them, or use Baton Pass to escape before Torterra can hit with its Earthquake. Mawile can also use Iron Defense over Swords Dance to pass defense boosts, most notably to set-up Pokemon such as Calm Mind Mesprit, whose path to becoming an offensive juggernaut is made easier.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Mawile is also capable of using a SubPunch set while taking advantage of Intimidate and Pain Split. The recommended EVs for this set are 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Def, with Life Orb equipped for Mawile equipped with Life Orb to hit hard while also increasing its bulk. However this set can be beaten by Misdreavus and other bulky pPokemon that are capable of taking Mawile's hits with impunity.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Decently powerful special attackers check Mawile easily, as even a neutral special attack tears Mawile to shreads shreds. Furthermore some pPokemon Mawile could be capable of beating, can check it Mawile if Mawile it has not yet gotten a Swords Dance boost. Quagsire is by far the most potent counter to Mawile, being able to ignore any boosts Mawile may have obtained, and can being able to hit Mawile back with a super effective Earthquake. Emboar is the next best answer to Mawile, resisting all of its commonly carried moves and forcing Mawile to run away.</p>

First off, the second AC makes no mention of teammates, and a second paragraph should be added to it for this. Also, the OO is quite skimpy; it only mentions a different possible set. Try to put in something about its alternative moves, even if they aren't the best sets; in fact, if they aren't the best, say why. Moves like Rain Dance (to remove the Fire-type weakness), Sunny Day, and Toxic all offer great support and deserve at least OO mentions, I think.

Nitpicks: Remove extra space about both [SET] tags
"The EVs are pretty straightforward," <--comma should be a colon (:)
Don't add "Since" to the sentence that follows that last one.

2/3
tennisace wants to check this over once more, because the AC and OO are skimpy. Afterwards, it will require a third GP check.

ebeast

Ok, I finished updating the analysis and expanded the OO and 2nd AC & Set Comments. I kind of want to keep the last part of the overview, but I'll leave it to the last GP member to decide if it's fine.

JockeMS

formerly SuperJOCKE
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
For NU! Placeholder. Checking this now.

EDIT:

Add
Remove
Comments
Mawile(chase)

[Overview]

<p>After two generations of being completely ignored, Mawile finally has a chance to shine thanks to its Dream World ability, Sheer Force. Combined with an adequate movepool and priority moves,[add comma] it Mawile is now able to strike fear in all those who oppose it. Sadly, its stats are still sub-par and setting up can be difficult in a tier dominated by Pokemon who can easily take Mawile on Mawile before it sets up,[add comma] such as Braviary, Magmortar, and Camerupt. However, don't let Mawile's gentle appearance deceive you, for if you underestimate it, Mawile will seize the advantage and bite you to death.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With Mawile's new ability,[add comma] in Sheer Force, it is now able to compete with the big boys of NU in terms of 'sheer' firepower. Thanks to its excellent defensive typing and decent bulk, it Mawile can set up a Swords Dance and skyrocket to a high 538 Attack, subject to further increase by Life Orb and Sheer Force. Iron Head provides reliable STAB, while Fire Fang rounds off its coverage decently, as Water-types in NU are few and far between. Both attacks are boosted by Sheer Force. Mawile has the option of using either Sucker Punch or Crunch as the its last move. Sucker Punch provides good priority for Mawile to hit faster opponents, but Crunch gets boosted by Sheer Force and enables you to take out Misdreavus,[add comma] even if it uses Will-O-Wisp. After a Swords Dance boost, Mawile's Iron Head is powerful enough to 2HKO defensive Pokemon resiting it, resists such as Mantine, or tanks,[add comma] such as Eviolite Tangela.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs are pretty straightforward: Max max Attack for the most damage output, 228 Speed EVs and a Jolly nature to outspeed Max max Speed Adamant Torterra, and the rest go into HP to help Mawile take a hit hits slightly better. Mawile prefers to run Sucker Punch over Crunch for the much needed priority, so a teammate that can easily deal with Misdreavus, such as Haunter, is recommended; Haunter is also immune to Ground- and Fighting-type moves that Mawile is weak to. Lickilicky has no trouble dealing with Misdreavus either, and can provide Mawile with cleric support; however, it should be noted that Lickilicky shares a Fighting-type weakness with Mawile. Despite the skyrocketing power of Mawile at +2 Attack, it nonetheless greatly appreciates hazard support from Stealth Rocks and Spikes to make its job easier. With Stealth Rock, Mawile is capable of OHKO'ing Mantine with Crunch; with Stealth Rock and a layer of Spikes, Mawile has a high chance of OHKO'ing OHKOing the omnipresent specially defensive Camerupt. The only counter Mawile can't break past even with Stealth Rock and Spikes support is Quagsire although this is easily remedied with Cacturne, who is also capable of providing Spikes support. Keep in mind that partnering Mawile and Cacturne amounts to a compounded Fire-[add hyphen] and Fighting-type weaknesses.</p>

[SET]
evs: 252 HP/ 28 Def[space]/ 228 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Another niche that Mawile occupies is being the only Baton Pass using Steel-type in the tier. This set takes advantage of Mawile's Intimidate ability and enables it Mawile to Baton Pass a Swords Dance to a teammate who can then sweep more easily. Taunt lets it combat slower Taunt users, walls, and Phazers phazers. It In the last, Mawile can choose to use Iron Head to hit something for decent damage with Iron Head,[add comma] while avoiding being set-up fodder, or run Substitute in the hopes of also passing that off to a teammate as well. In general, the ability of this set to function is reliant what other Pokemon are supporting it. Partners like such as Mesprit are capable of taking the boost and killing KO potential threats against Mawile such as Sawk and Torterra with Psychic and Ice Beam,[add comma] respectively. Water-type partners,[add comma] like such as Floatzel and Basculin,[add comma] can take advantage of the Swords Dance boost, sponge a Fire-type move from Pokemon like Magmortar such as Camerupt, and finish it them off with Aqua Jet or Waterfall.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The Speed EVs and Jolly nature allows Mawile to outspeed Adamant Torterra and most walls who will inevitably switch in. With this EV spread, Mawile can outspeed walls and Taunt them, or use Baton Pass to escape before Torterra can hit with its Earthquake. Mawile can also use Iron Defense over Swords Dance to pass defense boosts, most notably to set-up Pokemon such as Calm Mind Mesprit, whose path to becoming an offensive juggernaut is made easier.[add period] and it Mesprit also provides good synergy with Mawile-[remove hyphen],[add comma]resisting Fighting-type moves and being immune to Ground-type ones, while appreciating Mawile's resistances to Dark-[add hyphen] and Ghost-type attacks. Other useful partners for Mawile to pass boosts to are Basculin and Floatzel, who appreciate the Swords Dance boost to help them sweep without needing to resort to locking themselves into a move with a Choice Band, take the Fire moves aimed at Mawile, and in Floatzel's case, thanks to Water Veil, is immune to any burns that might come from a Fire Blast or Flamethrower.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Mawile is also capable of using a SubPunch set,[add comma] while taking advantage of Intimidate and Pain Split. The recommended EVs for this set are 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Def, equipped with Life Orb,[add comma] to hit hard while also increasing its bulk. However,[add comma] this set can be beaten by Misdreavus and other bulky Pokemon that are capable of taking Mawile's hits with impunity. Another option for Mawile is to focus on bulk, with spreads such as 252 HP / 172 Atk / 84 Spe while holding Leftovers. This spread maximizes Leftovers recovery, while still outspeeding and 3HKO'ing 3HKOing Tangela after a Swords Dance boost. Due to Intimidate, great typing, and decent bulk, a fully defensive set with:[remove colon] 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Sdef SpD EVs is usable. A set of Toxic / Pain Split / Iron Head / Sucker Punch allows Mawile to make the most out of it bulk by Toxic stalling and recovering with Pain Split. Iron Head provides reliable STAB,[add comma] while Sucker Punch allows it to take out weakened enemies to prevent it from taking any extra damage. With the same EV spread Mawile can replace Toxic with Sunny Day or Rain Dance and provide support to anything capable of abusing them,[add comma] like such as Victreebel in the Sun sun, and Gorebyss and Huntail in the Rain rain. However,[add comma] setting up Sunny Day and Rain Dance is done better by Mesprit and Prankster Volbeat due to them being able to set up it up faster,[add comma] while still being bulky enough to take hits./p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Decently powerful special attackers check Mawile easily, as even a neutral special attack tears Mawile to shreds. Furthermore,[add comma] some Pokemon Mawile could be capable of beating, can check Mawile if it has not yet gotten a Swords Dance boost. Quagsire is by far the most potent counter to Mawile, being able to ignore any boosts Mawile may have obtained, and being able to hit Mawile back with a super effective Earthquake. Emboar is the next best answer to Mawile, resisting all of its commonly carried moves and forcing Mawile to run away.</p>

Basically added teammates to speed things along by aksing tennisace for the best answer.

Also, I recommend you read the grammar standards to get a better understanding until next time: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102407

GP Approved 3/3

ebeast

For NU! Placeholder. Checking this now.

EDIT:

Add
Remove
Comments
Mawile(chase)

[Overview]

<p>After two generations of being completely ignored, Mawile finally has a chance to shine thanks to its Dream World ability, Sheer Force. Combined with an adequate movepool and priority moves,[add comma] it Mawile is now able to strike fear in all those who oppose it. Sadly, its stats are still sub-par and setting up can be difficult in a tier dominated by Pokemon who can easily take Mawile on Mawile before it sets up,[add comma] such as Braviary, Magmortar, and Camerupt. However, don't let Mawile's gentle appearance deceive you, for if you underestimate it, Mawile will seize the advantage and bite you to death.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With Mawile's new ability,[add comma] in Sheer Force, it is now able to compete with the big boys of NU in terms of 'sheer' firepower. Thanks to its excellent defensive typing and decent bulk, it Mawile can set up a Swords Dance and skyrocket to a high 538 Attack, subject to further increase by Life Orb and Sheer Force. Iron Head provides reliable STAB, while Fire Fang rounds off its coverage decently, as Water-types in NU are few and far between. Both attacks are boosted by Sheer Force. Mawile has the option of using either Sucker Punch or Crunch as the its last move. Sucker Punch provides good priority for Mawile to hit faster opponents, but Crunch gets boosted by Sheer Force and enables you to take out Misdreavus,[add comma] even if it uses Will-O-Wisp. After a Swords Dance boost, Mawile's Iron Head is powerful enough to 2HKO defensive Pokemon resiting it, resists such as Mantine, or tanks,[add comma] such as Eviolite Tangela.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The EVs are pretty straightforward: Max max Attack for the most damage output, 228 Speed EVs and a Jolly nature to outspeed Max max Speed Adamant Torterra, and the rest go into HP to help Mawile take a hit hits slightly better. Mawile prefers to run Sucker Punch over Crunch for the much needed priority, so a teammate that can easily deal with Misdreavus, such as Haunter, is recommended; Haunter is also immune to Ground- and Fighting-type moves that Mawile is weak to. Lickilicky has no trouble dealing with Misdreavus either, and can provide Mawile with cleric support; however, it should be noted that Lickilicky shares a Fighting-type weakness with Mawile. Despite the skyrocketing power of Mawile at +2 Attack, it nonetheless greatly appreciates hazard support from Stealth Rocks and Spikes to make its job easier. With Stealth Rock, Mawile is capable of OHKO'ing Mantine with Crunch; with Stealth Rock and a layer of Spikes, Mawile has a high chance of OHKO'ing OHKOing the omnipresent specially defensive Camerupt. The only counter Mawile can't break past even with Stealth Rock and Spikes support is Quagsire although this is easily remedied with Cacturne, who is also capable of providing Spikes support. Keep in mind that partnering Mawile and Cacturne amounts to a compounded Fire-[add hyphen] and Fighting-type weaknesses.</p>

[SET]
evs: 252 HP/ 28 Def[space]/ 228 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>Another niche that Mawile occupies is being the only Baton Pass using Steel-type in the tier. This set takes advantage of Mawile's Intimidate ability and enables it Mawile to Baton Pass a Swords Dance to a teammate who can then sweep more easily. Taunt lets it combat slower Taunt users, walls, and Phazers phazers. It In the last, Mawile can choose to use Iron Head to hit something for decent damage with Iron Head,[add comma] while avoiding being set-up fodder, or run Substitute in the hopes of also passing that off to a teammate as well. In general, the ability of this set to function is reliant what other Pokemon are supporting it. Partners like such as Mesprit are capable of taking the boost and killing KO potential threats against Mawile such as Sawk and Torterra with Psychic and Ice Beam,[add comma] respectively. Water-type partners,[add comma] like such as Floatzel and Basculin,[add comma] can take advantage of the Swords Dance boost, sponge a Fire-type move from Pokemon like Magmortar such as Camerupt, and finish it them off with Aqua Jet or Waterfall.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>The Speed EVs and Jolly nature allows Mawile to outspeed Adamant Torterra and most walls who will inevitably switch in. With this EV spread, Mawile can outspeed walls and Taunt them, or use Baton Pass to escape before Torterra can hit with its Earthquake. Mawile can also use Iron Defense over Swords Dance to pass defense boosts, most notably to set-up Pokemon such as Calm Mind Mesprit, whose path to becoming an offensive juggernaut is made easier.[add period] and it Mesprit also provides good synergy with Mawile-[remove hyphen],[add comma]resisting Fighting-type moves and being immune to Ground-type ones, while appreciating Mawile's resistances to Dark-[add hyphen] and Ghost-type attacks. Other useful partners for Mawile to pass boosts to are Basculin and Floatzel, who appreciate the Swords Dance boost to help them sweep without needing to resort to locking themselves into a move with a Choice Band, take the Fire moves aimed at Mawile, and in Floatzel's case, thanks to Water Veil, is immune to any burns that might come from a Fire Blast or Flamethrower.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Mawile is also capable of using a SubPunch set,[add comma] while taking advantage of Intimidate and Pain Split. The recommended EVs for this set are 76 HP / 252 Atk / 180 Def, equipped with Life Orb,[add comma] to hit hard while also increasing its bulk. However,[add comma] this set can be beaten by Misdreavus and other bulky Pokemon that are capable of taking Mawile's hits with impunity. Another option for Mawile is to focus on bulk, with spreads such as 252 HP / 172 Atk / 84 Spe while holding Leftovers. This spread maximizes Leftovers recovery, while still outspeeding and 3HKO'ing 3HKOing Tangela after a Swords Dance boost. Due to Intimidate, great typing, and decent bulk, a fully defensive set with:[remove colon] 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Sdef SpD EVs is usable. A set of Toxic / Pain Split / Iron Head / Sucker Punch allows Mawile to make the most out of it bulk by Toxic stalling and recovering with Pain Split. Iron Head provides reliable STAB,[add comma] while Sucker Punch allows it to take out weakened enemies to prevent it from taking any extra damage. With the same EV spread Mawile can replace Toxic with Sunny Day or Rain Dance and provide support to anything capable of abusing them,[add comma] like such as Victreebel in the Sun sun, and Gorebyss and Huntail in the Rain rain. However,[add comma] setting up Sunny Day and Rain Dance is done better by Mesprit and Prankster Volbeat due to them being able to set up it up faster,[add comma] while still being bulky enough to take hits./p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Decently powerful special attackers check Mawile easily, as even a neutral special attack tears Mawile to shreds. Furthermore,[add comma] some Pokemon Mawile could be capable of beating, can check Mawile if it has not yet gotten a Swords Dance boost. Quagsire is by far the most potent counter to Mawile, being able to ignore any boosts Mawile may have obtained, and being able to hit Mawile back with a super effective Earthquake. Emboar is the next best answer to Mawile, resisting all of its commonly carried moves and forcing Mawile to run away.</p>

Basically added teammates to speed things along by aksing tennisace for the best answer.

Also, I recommend you read the grammar standards to get a better understanding until next time: http://www.smogon.com/forums/showthread.php?t=102407

GP Approved 3/3

Ok, I'll get to writing this up right now. Since you talked to Tennis about it does that mean that the extra QC this was supposed to have, has been passed? Or do I still need to wait for that?

Also, thanks for the link, I'll read up on that and use it to proofread my rmts or something, since I doubt i'll make another analysis. It's hard work, and I have definitely developed a newfound respect for analysis makers and the QC team in general for having to check them.

EDIT: Finished applying Super's check. This is either awaiting another QC check or is ready to be uploaded hopefully.
Ok, I'm going to assume Done until told otherwise

tennisace

not quite too old for this, apparently
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top CAP Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis an Administrator Alumnus
You still haven't added any more teammates in the AC, only Mesprit. Mention BP recipients that have good type synergy with Mawile, things like Flying-types or Water-types or Poison-types that like SD or Iron Defense (Braviary, Floatzel, Muk?)

ebeast

You still haven't added any more teammates in the AC, only Mesprit. Mention BP recipients that have good type synergy with Mawile, things like Flying-types or Water-types or Poison-types that like SD or Iron Defense (Braviary, Floatzel, Muk?)
I mentioned Floatzel and Basculin in the set comments and put it in the AC, but Super had me remove its mentions in AC. I'll move the Floatzel and Basculin mentions in AC, if that's where it should have been in the first place.

DW 'Ice Punch + Sheer Force'

Interesting read so far :)

I just came across a Mawile in DW an hour or two ago and to my surprise it had Ice Punch, which I didn't know it could get.

Seeing as Ice Punch would be improved due to 'Sheer Force', do you think Ice Punch is useful in a move set for Mawile? and if so, with what?

It seems to me like it could be fairly beneficial for the obvious ground opponents, maybe as an alternative to Fire Fang in the first move set?

I'm not hugely strategic with Pokémon any more :/ , but I know you guys here are, so I thought I'd come here and ask your opinions on 'Ice Punch + Sheer Force'

Cheers.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)