Mawile [QC 3/3] [GP 2/2]

first analysis so sorry if i suck :)

Mawile

[Overview]

<p>Out of all the Steel-types in the game, Mawile has always been ignored. With a base stat total of only 380, there's no wonder why Mawile is overlooked, but it has finally found a niche in NU&mdash;in fact, multiple niches. A unique combination of amazing abilities and a good movepool makes Mawile the most versatile Steel-type in NU. It can effectively pull off defensive, offensive, and Baton Pass sets, and access to Intimidate coupled with its pure Steel typing allows it to wall many common threats. Mawile can also pose an offensive threat, with a powerful combination of good coverage, Sheer Force, Swords Dance, and priority. Mawile is also vital to many Baton Pass chains, due to its typing and access to boosting moves.</p>

<p>However, not all fares well for our cute Steel-type, as subpar stats limit its ability to perform these roles. Even though Mawile walls many common threats in NU, it is also forced out by others, such as Emboar and Defiant Braviary. Although these faults limit Mawile's capability to be a top-tier Pokemon, do not underestimate Mawile or it will leave you behind in rust.</p>

[SET]
name: Utility
move 1: Stealth Rock
move 2: Pain Split
move 3: Seismic Toss
move 4: Toxic / Taunt / Super Fang
item: Leftovers
ability: Intimidate
nature: Impish
evs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>An excellent defensive typing and an amazing ability in Intimidate allow Mawile to counter omnipresent threats to teams, such as Cinccino, Swellow, Dragon Dance Fraxure, and Skuntank. Intimidate makes Mawile one of the best pivots in the game, as it can buffer physical attacks for itself and its teammates. Mawile is also a great check to Zangoose, a threat to every single team, as it resists three-fourths of Zangoose's moveset, while also lowering its attack with Intimidate for Mawile's teammates to take Close Combat&mdash; which, after being affected by Intimidate, doesn't even OHKO Mawile. Although Intimidate is a great ability on Mawile, do not try switching Mawile into Pokemon with the ability Defiant, such as Braviary, as they will receive an attack boost.</p>

<p>Stealth Rock is essential to many teams, and Mawile is a great user of the move, as it has multiple opportunities to set it up throughout a match. Pain Split makes use of Mawile's low HP, and is its only form of recovery outside of Rest. Seismic Toss is a great source of reliable damage and allows Mawile to hurt Taunt users, such as Skuntank. Toxic cripples many Pokemon that would otherwise be able to recover off Seismic Toss damage, such as Alomomola. Taunt protects Mawile from status moves, such as Spore from Amoonguss, while also preventing other Pokemon setting up on Mawile, such as Musharna. Super Fang cripples certain Pokemon by stripping off half of their current HP, and it works well with Seismic Toss's reliable damage output and Taunt's prevention of recovery.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Maximum HP and Defense investment, along with an Impish nature, makes the best of Mawile's physical bulk and Intimidate. Leftovers gives much-needed passive recovery to Mawile, so it can wall threats throughout the match. Knock Off is a nifty utility move which can be used over any of the moves listed to cripple Eviolite users, such as Gurdurr or Misdreavus, that Mawile tends to lure in. Seismic Toss is usually the best and most reliable option Mawile has for damage output, but Iron Head can be used to hit Ghost-types, such as Haunter. Rocky Helmet can be used over Leftovers to wear down opposing Pokemon, such as Cinccino or Zangoose. Wish recovery from teammates, such as Alomomola, is helpful, as Pain Split isn't the most reliable recovery method. Bulky Psychic-types work well with Mawile, considering their great type-synergy; Grumpig gets a special mention as it “resists” Fire-type attacks due to Thick Fat. Altaria is also another great teammate for Mawile, as they cover each others’ weaknesses.</p>

[SET]
name: Swords Dance
move 1: Swords Dance
move 2: Iron Head
move 3: Sucker Punch
move 4: Ice Punch
item: Life Orb
ability: Sheer Force
nature: Jolly
evs: 28 HP / 252 Atk / 228 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>With the release of Sheer Force, Swords Dance Mawile has become a potent offensive threat. Mawile's Attack reaches a decent 538 after a Swords Dance boost, which can be further boosted by Life Orb and Sheer Force. Obtaining Swords Dance boosts are fairly easy, with Mawile's great defensive typing and decent physical bulk. Iron Head is a powerful STAB, which is boosted by Sheer Force. Sucker Punch gives Mawile invaluable priority, as it allows Mawile to KO faster threats, such as Cinccino, and it also somewhat makes up for Mawile's low base Speed stat. Ice Punch is Mawile's main source of coverage which is also boosted by Sheer Force. A Swords Dance-boosted Ice Punch allows Mawile to 2HKO Tangela, one of the bulkiest physical walls in NU.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>Maximum Attack investment gives Mawile optimal damage output, while the 228 Speed EVs with a Jolly nature outspeed maximum Speed Torterra and everything below. The rest of the EVs are invested in HP for a slight increase in overall bulk. An Adamant nature can be used for more power if you are not concerned with speed. If choosing an Adamant nature, an EV spread of 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe allows Mawile to outspeed maximum Speed Golem. Entry hazards make Mawile's sweep easier by turning certain 3HKOs into 2HKOs and 2HKOs into OHKOs. Stealth Rock users, such as Golem, and Spikes users, such as Cacturne or Garbodor, are excellent Pokemon to consider as teammates to lay entry hazards for Mawile. Note that Sheer Force-boosted moves lose their secondary effects, as such, going for pinch flinches or freezes is fruitless. Choice Specs Altaria easily breaks down physical walls that haunt Mawile, while their typings complement each other excellently. Altaria can also take on Emboar, Mawile's most fearsome enemy.</p>

[SET]
name: Baton Pass
move 1: Iron Defense / Swords Dance
move 2: Baton Pass
move 3: Taunt
move 4: Substitute
evs: 252 HP / 28 Def / 228 Spe

[SET COMMENTS]

<p>As the only Steel-type in the tier with access to Baton Pass, Mawile stands out as an invaluable asset to Baton Pass teams. Mawile’s access to Intimidate and immunity to Clear Smog, which can ruin any chain without an intact Substitute, allow it to perform its job of passing Iron Defense and Swords Dance boosts admirably. Note that passing Iron Defense boosts are easier in the face of physical attackers, due to the extra Defense boosts. Taunt is also extremely useful on Mawile, as it prevents many ways of stopping Baton Pass chains, such as Perish Song, Haze, opposing Taunts, and phazing moves. Substitute is also useful on Mawile, as it allows a safe switch for its teammate as it Baton Passes and shields Mawile from status moves.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

<p>228 Speed EVs along with a Jolly nature allows Mawile to outspeed maximum Speed Torterra, allowing it to Baton Pass before being hit by Earthquake. The rest of the EVs are put into HP and Defense, easing Mawile’s setup. A bulkier spread of 252 HP / 252 Def with an Impish nature can be used for more bulk, but Mawile will not outspeed much, even with speed boosts from teammates. Iron Head can be used to prevent Mawile from being completely useless against faster Taunt users, while making use of Swords Dance's attack boosts. Other Baton Pass users, such as Floatzel or Gorebyss, are good teammates for Mawile, as they share good synergy (elaborate; what kind of synergy?). Mr. Mime and Ninjask are other Baton Pass users that are also great teammates for Mawile, as they are integral parts of Baton Pass chains. Mr. Mime has good synergy (elaborate), while negating Perish Song and Roar, due to Soundproof. Ninjask can pass Speed boosts to Mawile, allowing it to outspeed and set up Iron Defense in front of once faster physical attackers, in addition to being able to Baton Pass out of Pokemon that threaten it before they can make a move. Musharna is also a great teammate for Mawile, as the Iron Defense boosts received from Mawile make it more physically bulky, and simultaneously boost Stored Power. Cradily is another good recipient of Mawile's boosts, as it avoids any sort of phazing through Suction Cups, while making good use of either Iron Defense or Swords Dance boosts.</p>

[Other Options]

<p>Mawile has quite a couple of options due to its diverse movepool. Mawile can use a SubPunch set with Pain Split and a Life Orb, but it is generally too weak; Mawile is usually better off trying to sweep with Swords Dance. Weather teams can make use of Mawile's Steel typing, Intimidate, and access to both Sunny Day and Rain Dance. However, other Pokemon, such as Prankster Volbeat, set up Rain Dance or Sunny Day more effectively. A bulky Swords Dance spread, consisting of an EV spread of 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def , with a moveset of Swords Dance, Pain Split, Iron Head, and Sucker Punch attempt to combine Mawile's offensive and defensive capabilities into one, but is pitifully weak without any Swords Dance boosts. ThunderPunch can be used over Ice Punch on the Swords Dance set to hit Water-types, such as Alomomola, super effectively, but provides no further coverage. Crunch can be used over Sucker Punch on the Swords Dance set to take advantage of the Sheer Force boost, but Mawile really appreciates the priority that Sucker Punch provides. Rock Slide gets boosted by Sheer Force and hits Flying-, Bug-, and Fire-types harder than any other moves Mawile has. Fire Fang can be used over Ice Punch to hit Klang and other Mawile super effectively. Body Slam allows Mawile to spread paralysis on the defensive set.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

<p>Moderately powerful special attackers, such as Ludicolo or Electabuzz, can leave huge dents in Mawile, or just outright OHKO it. Emboar resists all of Mawile's moves and easily OHKOes with either of its STABs. Braviary receives an Attack boost from Mawile that switch into it, due to Defiant, and forces it out the threat of Superpower. Sawk can easily revenge kill Mawile, as it resists Sucker Punch and KOes with Close Combat. Gurdurr has little problem setting up on Mawile with Bulk Up, as Mawile fails to do much damage to it after a couple of Defense boosts. Jolly Torterra can outspeed Mawile and KO it with Earthquake. Misdreavus can avoid Sucker Punch by burning Mawile with Will-O-Wisp, crippling it, but Misdreavus should be wary of Crunch or losing its Eviolite due to Knock Off. Seismitoad can tank hits from Mawile and KO it with Earth Power. Even though Mawile's typing gives it multiple resistances, it struggles with weaknesses to common attacks in NU, such as Earthquake and Fire Blast.</p>

• There are a few things I'd like added to OO. Crunch, Body Slam, Stone Edge, and Super Fang are all viable and should me talked about.
  • I'd like to see more teammates in the Swords Dance set, i'd also mention the trade off of power for the loss of a Flinch chance, which is noticeable.
  • For the BP set, mention Cradily as the receiver at the end, and also take about baton pass chains as a whole, and Mawiles part in them.
  • for checks and counters, expand a bit, and how despite having a lot of resistances, Mawile is weak to many common attacks in NU, and struggles because of that.

Great skeleton though!

[qc]1/3[/qc]

I did most of what you said. I decided to choose Rock Slide over Stone Edge because of Sheer Force and better accuracy. I'd like some help on what to talk about baton pass chains as a whole other than Clear Smog and Taunt. (Maybe that's good enough but comments on it will be nice) Thanks for the fast qc. More are welcome. :)

EDIT: Made some changes that DTC and FLCL told me to in IRC.

breh

強いだね
I'm sorry, but I've discussed this on IRC before and it simply must be done:

MOVE BP TO SET 1.

It is the most used set by far (at least, I hope) and Mawile's best set (utility looks bad (I'd rather use Wormadam-Trash, for god's sake...) and Swords Dance is something I doubt the viability of). Also, that spread on BP is awful; it should just run max defense (which can get out out of tight situations more often than more speed (something ninjask will very reliably pass +6 of) will).

I disagree, i think the order should be utility, baton pass, then swords dance. On my phone so cant go into much detail

Django

Started from the bottom...
is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Mention Zangoose alongside Cinccino etc as a Pokemon it can check. Also add Rocky Helmet to AC of the utility set, since that extra damage (and sometimes being able to use Pain Split more effectively) can really come in handy.

As for the ordering of the sets I am fine with it atm. A Baton Pass set isn't that amazing outside of a chain, and moving it to the first spot because of its role in a chain is silly. As for the spread, again I am fine with it. Ninjask does not reliably pass a +6 boost to Speed, especially when Golem and Piloswine exist. Outspeeding these threats at +0 means you do not always have to start the chain with Ninjask, and can actually use Mawile to being setting up on them with Intimidate + Iron Defense. Also, the Swords Dance set is dangerous as fuck, and really really strong, so leave that where it is.

Great skeleton Annoyer

QC APPROVE 2/3

Added in Djangoo's changes and thanks for the QC. I'm thinking of testing out this set that WhiteDMist proposed to me in IRC.
16:12 WhiteDMist a bulky attacker with intimidate, 252 HP 4 Atk 252 Def Swords Dance, Pain Split, Iron Head, Sucker Punch

I will test it, but I think it should be put in OO since it combines Mawile's great ability to handle threats defensively while still being offensive with Swords Dance. Any feedback on this is appreciated. (Taunt or Sub can be used over Pain Split for more set-up opportunitites.)

EDIT: After testing the set for a couple of matches, I decided to put it into OO. It has multiple set-up opportunities considering its great typing and how it forces many pokemon out such as Klang, Swellow, and Cinccino. It lacks a lot of power until it achieves a couple of boosts which is hard but not out of the question since there were some times I was able to get 2 Swords Dances in. It's the only set that doesn't get set-up on by SubBURoost Braviary which is nice because the offensive set can't take a hit well while the defensive can't do much back. This one can set up Swords Dance while still taking the hits well, dealing good damage back, and healing with Pain Split. With Taunt or Substitute, it can even set up on Amoonguss and others. It might deserve to be an actual set, but I'd like the feedback of the QC team on this.

watashi

is a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Top Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Three-Time Past SPL Champion
World Defender
yeah the Bulky SD set doesn't need that much of a mention because it's really weak imo. other than that it everything else looks good.

QC APPROVED 3/3

I just wanted to say that the spread here for the BP set is really the way to go. Yesterday I got outsped by a Life Orb Zebstrika with my fully defense invested Mawile at +3 speed and it cost me the match.

Also Ninjask and Mr. Mime should be mentioned as teammates for the baton pass set, they're basically essential for NU baton pass chains.

jake

underdog of the year
is a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
Despite that, I'd like to see mention of the bulky spread in Baton Pass AC (with the negative side-effects implied, of course).

GatoDelFuego

The Antimonymph of the Internet
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
REMOVE CHANGE COMMENTS

[Overview]
<p>Out of all the Steel-types in the game, Mawile has always been ignored. With only a base stat total of 380, there's Word uses curly apostrophes, Smogon uses straight ones no wonder why Mawile is overlooked, but it has finally found a niche in NU&mdashin fact, multiple niches. A unique combination of amazing abilities and a good movepool makes Mawile the most versatile Steel-type in NU. It can effectively pull off defensive, offensive, and baton pass sets, and access to Intimidate and a fantastic typing allows it to wall many common threats. Mawile can also pose as an offensive threat with a powerful combination of good coverage, Sheer Force, Swords Dance, and priority. Mawile is also vital to many baton pass chains due to its unique typing and access to good boosting moves.</p>

<p>Mawile has finally found a home in NU, but However, not all fares well for our cute Steel-type, as Pokemon. subpar stats limit its ability to perform these roles. Even though Mawile walls many common threats in NU, it is also forced out by common threats such as Defiant Braviary and Emboar. Although these faults limit Mawile's capability to be a top-tier Pokemon, do not underestimate Mawile or it will leave you behind in rust.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>An excellent defensive typing in Steel and an amazing ability in Intimidate allows Mawile to counter key threats to teams such as Cinccino, Swellow, Dragon Dance Fraxure, and Skuntank. Intimidate makes Mawile one of the best pivots in the game as it can buffer physical attacks for itself and its teammates. Mawile is also a great check to Zangoose, a threat to every single team, as it resists three-fourths of Zangoose's movepool while also lowering its attack for other teammates to take Close Combat, (AC) which doesn't even OHKO Mawile after Intimidate. Although Intimidate is a great ability on Mawile, do not try switching Mawile into Pokemon with the ability Defiant such as Braviary, (AC) as they will receive an attack boost.</p>
SPACE
<p>Stealth Rock is essential to many teams, and Mawile is a great user of the move as it has multiple opportunities to set up throughout a match. Pain Split makes use of Mawile's low HP stat and is Mawile's only form of recovery outside of Rest. Seismic Toss is a great source of reliable damage and allows Mawile to hurt Taunt users such as Skuntank. Toxic allows Mawile to cripple many Pokemon that would otherwise be able to recover off Seismic Toss damage, (AC) such as Alomomola. Taunt protects Mawile from status moves such as Spore from Amoonguss while also preventing other Pokemon setting up on Mawile such as Musharna. Super Fang cripples the opposition by splitting their HP in half, and it works well with Seismic Toss' reliable damage output.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>Max HP and max Defense along with an Impish nature makes the best of Mawile's physical bulk and Intimidate. Leftovers gives much-needed passive recovery to Mawile so it can continue walling threats. Knock Off is a nifty utility move Mawile has which can be used over any of the moves listed to cripple Eviolite users such as Gurdurr or Misdreavus that Mawile tends to lure in. Seismic Toss is usually the best and most reliable option Mawile has for damage output, but Iron Head can be used to hit Ghost-types such as Haunter. A Rocky Helmet can also be utilized to wear down opposing Pokemon such as Cinccino or Zangoose, and it also makes Pain Split more effective without than with Mawile using Leftovers. Wish recovery from teammates such as Alomomola is helpful as Pain Split isn't the most reliable recovery method. Bulky Psychic-types work well with Mawile considering their great typing synergy; Grumpig gets a special mention as it “resists” Fire-type attacks due to Thick Fat. Altaria is also another great teammate with Mawile as they cover each other's weaknesses.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>Ever since THE CORRECT USAGE OF SINCE! I AM ECSTATIC RIGHT NOW Sheer Force has been released, Mawile has become a potent offensive threat due to its access to Swords Dance. Mawile's Attack reaches an outstanding 538 attack after a Swords Dance boost which can be further boosted by Life Orb and Sheer Force. Obtaining Swords Dance boosts are fairly easy with Mawile's great defensive typing and decent physical bulk. Iron Head is a powerful STAB which is boosted by Sheer Force. Sucker Punch gives Mawile invaluable priority as it allows Mawile to KO faster threats such as Cinccino, and it also somewhat makes up for Mawile's low base Speed stat. Ice Punch is Mawile's main source of coverage which is also boosted by Sheer Force. A Swords Dance-boosted Ice Punch allows Mawile to 2HKO Tangela, one of the bulkiest physical walls in NU.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>Max Attack allows Mawile to have the maximum damage output while the 228 Speed EVs and a Jolly nature outspeeds max Speed Torterra and everything slower. The rest of the EVs are put in to HP for more bulk. An Adamant nature can be used for more power if you are not concerned with speed. If you going to use an Adamant nature, an EV spread of 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe allows Mawile to outspeed max Speed Golems is recommended. Entry hazards make Mawile's sweep easier by turning certain 3HKOs into 2HKOs and 2HKOs into OHKOs. Stealth Rock users such as Golem and Spikes users such as Cacturne or Garbodor are excellent Pokemon to consider as teammates to lay entry hazards for Mawile. Note that with Sheer Force, trying to get flinch hax or freeze hax will get you nowhere. Choice Specs Altaria easily breaks down physical walls that haunt Mawile while both also have excellent synergy. Altaria can also take on Emboar, Mawile's most fearsome enemy .</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>As the only Steel-type in the tier with access to Baton Pass, Mawile fills another niche. Mawile is a great component of baton pass chains due to Intimidate and immunity to Clear Smog which can ruin any chain without an intact Substitute. Mawile can pass Iron Defense and Swords Dance boosts to its teammates. Note that passing Iron Defense boosts are easier due to the extra Defense boosts. Taunt is also extremely useful on Mawile as it prevents many ways of stopping baton pass chains such as Perish Song, Haze, opposing Taunts, and phasing moves. Substitute is also useful on Mawile as it allows a safe switch for its teammate as it Baton Passes and also blocks Mawile from status moves.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>228 Speed EVs along with a Jolly nature allows Mawile to outspeed max Speed Torterra so it can Baton Pass before a threatening Earthquake. The rest of the EVs are put into HP and Defense so Mawile can set up with more ease. A bulkier spread of 252 HP / 252 Def with an Impish nature can be used for more bulk, but Mawile will not outspeed much even with some speed boosts from teammates. Iron Head can be used to bypass Taunt users while also making use of Swords Dance's attack boosts. Other Baton Pass users such as Floatzel or Gorebyss are good teammates with Mawile as they share good synergy. Mr. Mime and Ninjask are also other Baton Pass users that are great teammates for Mawile as they are essentially integral parts of Baton Pass chains. Mr. Mime has good synergy while avoiding Perish Song and Roar due to Soundproof while Ninjask can pass Speed boosts to Mawile to make setting up more efficient. Musharna is also a great teammate for Mawile as the boosts received from Mawile make it more bulky while powering up Stored Power to great levels. Cradily is also another good recipient of Mawile's boosts as it avoids and sort of phasing through Suction Cups while making use of either Iron Defense or Swords Dance boosts.</p>

[OTHER OPTIONS]
<p>Mawile has quite a couple of options due to its unique movepool. Mawile can use a SubPunch set along with Pain Split and a Life Orb, but it is generally too weak. Mawile is generally better off trying to sweep with Swords Dance. Weather teams can make use of Mawile's unique typing, Intimidate, (AC) and access to both Sunny Day and Rain Dance. However, other Pokemon such as Prankster Volbeat set up Rain Dance or Sunny Day more effectively. A bulky Swords Dance spread consisting of an EV spread of 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk and a moveset of Swords Dance / Pain Split / Iron Head / Sucker Punch to combine Mawile's offensive and defensive capabilities into one, but it is pitifully weak without any Swords Dance boosts. ThunderPunch can be used over Ice Punch on the Swords Dance set to hit Water-types such as Alomomola super effectively but provides no further coverage than Ice Punch already does. Crunch can be used over Sucker Punch on the Swords Dance set to take advantage of the Sheer Force boost, but Mawile really appreciates the priority that Sucker Punch provides. Body Slam allows Mawile to spread paralysis on the defensive set. Rock Slide gets boosted by Sheer Force and hits Flying-, Bug-, and Fire-types harder than any other moves Mawile has. Fire Fang can be used over Ice Punch to hit Klang and other Mawiles super effectively.</p>

[CHECKS AND COUNTERS]
<p>Moderately powerful special attackers such as Ludicolo or Electabuzz can leave huge dents in Mawile, or just outright OHKOing it. Emboar resists all of Mawile's moves and easily OHKOes with either of its STABs. Braviary can receive a nice boost from Mawile switching into it due to Defiant and forces it out with Superpower. Sawk can easily revenge kill Mawile as it resists Sucker Punch and KOes with Close Combat. Gurdurr can easily set up on Mawile with Bulk Up as Mawile fails to do much damage to it after a couple of Defense boosts. Jolly Torterra can outspeed Mawile and KO with Earthquake. Misdreavus can burn Mawile with Will-O-Wisp which also bypasses Sucker Punch, but Misdreavus should be wary of Crunch or losing its Eviolite due to Knock Off. Seismitoad can tank hits from Mawile and KO with Earth Power. Even though Mawile's typing gives it multiple resistances, its weaknesses to common attacks in NU such as Earthquake and Fire Blast make Mawile struggle.</p>

GP APPROVED 1/2

This might be too late :(

but on the SD set isn't thunderpunch worth mentioning over ice punch since it does a lot more to alomomola who is a lot more common than tangela, plus iron head takes out grass types reasonably well.

Implemented GatodelFuego's check. Didn't know what (AC) meant so I just removed them. Everything else was added/removed.

@citro

Ice Punch has superior coverage than ThunderPunch. ThunderPunch is in Other Options.

His Eminence Lord Poppington II

proverb:the fish who eats most dies still too
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
first analysis so sorry if i suck :)

Mawile

[Overview]
<p>Out of all the Steel-types in the game, Mawile has always been ignored. With a base stat total of only 380, there's no wonder why Mawile is overlooked, but it has finally found a niche in NU&mdash;in fact, multiple niches. A unique combination of amazing abilities and a good movepool makes Mawile the most versatile Steel-type in NU. It can effectively pull off defensive, offensive, and Baton Pass sets, and access to Intimidate coupled with its pure Steel typing allows it to wall many common threats. Mawile can also pose an offensive threat, with a powerful combination of good coverage, Sheer Force, Swords Dance, and priority. Mawile is also vital to many Baton Pass chains, due to its typing and access to boosting moves.</p>

<p>However, not all fares well for our cute Steel-type, as subpar stats limit its ability to perform these roles. Even though Mawile walls many common threats in NU, it is also forced out by others, such as Emboar and Defiant Braviary. Although these faults limit Mawile's capability to be a top-tier Pokemon, do not underestimate Mawile or it will leave you behind in rust.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>An excellent defensive typing and an amazing ability in Intimidate allow Mawile to counter omnipresent threats to teams, such as Cinccino, Swellow, Dragon Dance Fraxure, and Skuntank. Intimidate makes Mawile one of the best pivots in the game, as it can buffer physical attacks for itself and its teammates. Mawile is also a great check to Zangoose, a threat to every single team, as it resists three-fourths of Zangoose's moveset, while also lowering its attack with Intimidate for Mawile's teammates to take Close Combat&mdash; which, after being affected by Intimidate, doesn't even OHKO Mawile. Although Intimidate is a great ability on Mawile, do not try switching Mawile into Pokemon with the ability Defiant, such as Braviary, as they will receive an attack boost.</p>

<p>Stealth Rock is essential to many teams, and Mawile is a great user of the move, as it has multiple opportunities to set it up throughout a match. Pain Split makes use of Mawile's low HP, and is its only form of recovery outside of Rest. Seismic Toss is a great source of reliable damage and allows Mawile to hurt Taunt users, such as Skuntank. Toxic cripples many Pokemon that would otherwise be able to recover off Seismic Toss damage, such as Alomomola. Taunt protects Mawile from status moves, such as Spore from Amoonguss, while also preventing other Pokemon setting up on Mawile, such as Musharna. Super Fang cripples certain Pokemon by stripping off half of their current HP, and it works well with Seismic Toss's reliable damage output and Taunt's prevention of recovery.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>Maximum HP and Defense investment, along with an Impish nature, makes the best of Mawile's physical bulk and Intimidate. Leftovers gives much-needed passive recovery to Mawile, so it can wall threats throughout the match. Knock Off is a nifty utility move which can be used over any of the moves listed to cripple Eviolite users, such as Gurdurr or Misdreavus, that Mawile tends to lure in. Seismic Toss is usually the best and most reliable option Mawile has for damage output, but Iron Head can be used to hit Ghost-types, such as Haunter. Rocky Helmet can be used over Leftovers to wear down opposing Pokemon, such as Cinccino or Zangoose. Wish recovery from teammates, such as Alomomola, is helpful, as Pain Split isn't the most reliable recovery method. Bulky Psychic-types work well with Mawile, considering their great type-synergy; Grumpig gets a special mention as it “resists” Fire-type attacks due to Thick Fat. Altaria is also another great teammate for Mawile, as they cover each others’ weaknesses.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>With the release of Sheer Force, Swords Dance Mawile has become a potent offensive threat. Mawile's Attack reaches a decent 538 after a Swords Dance boost, which can be further boosted by Life Orb and Sheer Force. Obtaining Swords Dance boosts are fairly easy, with Mawile's great defensive typing and decent physical bulk. Iron Head is a powerful STAB, which is boosted by Sheer Force. Sucker Punch gives Mawile invaluable priority, as it allows Mawile to KO faster threats, such as Cinccino, and it also somewhat makes up for Mawile's low base Speed stat. Ice Punch is Mawile's main source of coverage which is also boosted by Sheer Force. A Swords Dance-boosted Ice Punch allows Mawile to 2HKO Tangela, one of the bulkiest physical walls in NU.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>Maximum Attack investment gives Mawile optimal damage output, while the 228 Speed EVs with a Jolly nature outspeed maximum Speed Torterra and everything below. The rest of the EVs are invested in HP for a slight increase in overall bulk. An Adamant nature can be used for more power if you are not concerned with speed. If choosing an Adamant nature, an EV spread of 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe allows Mawile to outspeed maximum Speed Golem. Entry hazards make Mawile's sweep easier by turning certain 3HKOs into 2HKOs and 2HKOs into OHKOs. Stealth Rock users, such as Golem, and Spikes users, such as Cacturne or Garbodor, are excellent Pokemon to consider as teammates to lay entry hazards for Mawile. Note that Sheer Force-boosted moves lose their secondary effects, as such, going for pinch flinches or freezes is fruitless. Choice Specs Altaria easily breaks down physical walls that haunt Mawile, while their typings complement each other excellently. Altaria can also take on Emboar, Mawile's most fearsome enemy.</p>

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]
<p>As the only Steel-type in the tier with access to Baton Pass, Mawile stands out as an invaluable asset to Baton Pass teams. Mawile’s access to Intimidate and immunity to Clear Smog, which can ruin any chain without an intact Substitute, allow it to perform its job of passing Iron Defense and Swords Dance boosts admirably. Note that passing Iron Defense boosts are easier in the face of physical attackers, due to the extra Defense boosts. Taunt is also extremely useful on Mawile, as it prevents many ways of stopping Baton Pass chains, such as Perish Song, Haze, opposing Taunts, and phazing moves. Substitute is also useful on Mawile, as it allows a safe switch for its teammate as it Baton Passes and shields Mawile from status moves.</p>

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]
<p>228 Speed EVs along with a Jolly nature allows Mawile to outspeed maximum Speed Torterra, allowing it to Baton Pass before being hit by Earthquake. The rest of the EVs are put into HP and Defense, easing Mawile’s setup. A bulkier spread of 252 HP / 252 Def with an Impish nature can be used for more bulk, but Mawile will not outspeed much, even with speed boosts from teammates. Iron Head can be used to prevent Mawile from being completely useless against faster Taunt users, while making use of Swords Dance's attack boosts. Other Baton Pass users, such as Floatzel or Gorebyss, are good teammates for Mawile, as they share good synergy (elaborate; what kind of synergy?). Mr. Mime and Ninjask are other Baton Pass users that are also great teammates for Mawile, as they are integral parts of Baton Pass chains. Mr. Mime has good synergy (elaborate), while negating Perish Song and Roar, due to Soundproof. Ninjask can pass Speed boosts to Mawile, allowing it to outspeed and set up Iron Defense in front of once faster physical attackers, in addition to being able to Baton Pass out of Pokemon that threaten it before they can make a move. Musharna is also a great teammate for Mawile, as the Iron Defense boosts received from Mawile make it more physically bulky, and simultaneously boost Stored Power. Cradily is another good recipient of Mawile's boosts, as it avoids any sort of phazing through Suction Cups, while making good use of either Iron Defense or Swords Dance boosts.</p>

[OTHER OPTIONS]
<p>Mawile has quite a couple of options due to its diverse movepool. Mawile can use a SubPunch set with Pain Split and a Life Orb, but it is generally too weak; Mawile is usually better off trying to sweep with Swords Dance. Weather teams can make use of Mawile's Steel typing, Intimidate, and access to both Sunny Day and Rain Dance. However, other Pokemon, such as Prankster Volbeat, set up Rain Dance or Sunny Day more effectively. A bulky Swords Dance spread, consisting of an EV spread of 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Atk, with a moveset of Swords Dance / Pain Split / Iron Head / Sucker Punch attempt to combine Mawile's offensive and defensive capabilities into one, but is pitifully weak without any Swords Dance boosts. ThunderPunch can be used over Ice Punch on the Swords Dance set to hit Water-types, such as Alomomola, super effectively, but provides no further coverage. Crunch can be used over Sucker Punch on the Swords Dance set to take advantage of the Sheer Force boost, but Mawile really appreciates the priority that Sucker Punch provides. Rock Slide gets boosted by Sheer Force and hits Flying-, Bug-, and Fire-types harder than any other moves Mawile has. Fire Fang can be used over Ice Punch to hit Klang and other Mawile super effectively. Body Slam allows Mawile to spread paralysis on the defensive set.</p>

[CHECKS AND COUNTERS]
<p>Moderately powerful special attackers, such as Ludicolo or Electabuzz, can leave huge dents in Mawile, or just outright OHKO it. Emboar resists all of Mawile's moves and easily OHKOes with either of its STABs. Braviary receives an Attack boost from Mawile that switch into it, due to Defiant, and forces it out the threat of Superpower. Sawk can easily revenge kill Mawile, as it resists Sucker Punch and KOes with Close Combat. Gurdurr has little problem setting up on Mawile with Bulk Up, as Mawile fails to do much damage to it after a couple of Defense boosts. Jolly Torterra can outspeed Mawile and KO it with Earthquake. Misdreavus can avoid Sucker Punch by burning Mawile with Will-O-Wisp, crippling it, but Misdreavus should be wary of Crunch or losing its Eviolite due to Knock Off. Seismitoad can tank hits from Mawile and KO it with Earth Power. Even though Mawile's typing gives it multiple resistances, it struggles with weaknesses to common attacks in NU, such as Earthquake and Fire Blast.</p>
diff fucked up, sorry

notes: elaborate means elaborate, it's not a literal change xD

a lot of common comma problems, especially with separating clauses, e.g. with the use of such as

oh also unique means there's only one of, mawile's typing isn't unique. also saying mawile's movepool is unique just means nothing else shares its movepool.

Redew

κακκῶ σεαυτόν
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
[Overview]

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

[OTHER OPTIONS]ther Options]

<p>Mawile has quite a couple of options due to its diverse movepool. Mawile can use a SubPunch set with Pain Split and a Life Orb, but it is generally too weak; Mawile is usually better off trying to sweep with Swords Dance. Weather teams can make use of Mawile's Steel typing, Intimidate, and access to both Sunny Day and Rain Dance. However, other Pokemon, such as Prankster Volbeat, set up Rain Dance or Sunny Day more effectively. A bulky Swords Dance spread, consisting of an EV spread of 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def / 4 Atk, with a moveset of Swords Dance /, Pain Split /, Iron Head /, and Sucker Punch attempt to combine Mawile's offensive and defensive capabilities into one, but is pitifully weak without any Swords Dance boosts. ThunderPunch can be used over Ice Punch on the Swords Dance set to hit Water-types, such as Alomomola, super effectively, but provides no further coverage. Crunch can be used over Sucker Punch on the Swords Dance set to take advantage of the Sheer Force boost, but Mawile really appreciates the priority that Sucker Punch provides. Rock Slide gets boosted by Sheer Force and hits Flying-, Bug-, and Fire-types harder than any other moves Mawile has. Fire Fang can be used over Ice Punch to hit Klang and other Mawile super effectively. Body Slam allows Mawile to spread paralysis on the defensive set.</p>

[CHECKS AND COUNTERS]hecks and Counters]

[Overview]

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

[SET]

[SET COMMENTS]

[ADDITIONAL COMMENTS]

[Other Options]

<p>Mawile has quite a couple of options due to its diverse movepool. Mawile can use a SubPunch set with Pain Split and a Life Orb, but it is generally too weak; Mawile is usually better off trying to sweep with Swords Dance. Weather teams can make use of Mawile's Steel typing, Intimidate, and access to both Sunny Day and Rain Dance. However, other Pokemon, such as Prankster Volbeat, set up Rain Dance or Sunny Day more effectively. A bulky Swords Dance spread, consisting of an EV spread of 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def , with a moveset of Swords Dance, Pain Split, Iron Head, and Sucker Punch attempt to combine Mawile's offensive and defensive capabilities into one, but is pitifully weak without any Swords Dance boosts. ThunderPunch can be used over Ice Punch on the Swords Dance set to hit Water-types, such as Alomomola, super effectively, but provides no further coverage. Crunch can be used over Sucker Punch on the Swords Dance set to take advantage of the Sheer Force boost, but Mawile really appreciates the priority that Sucker Punch provides. Rock Slide gets boosted by Sheer Force and hits Flying-, Bug-, and Fire-types harder than any other moves Mawile has. Fire Fang can be used over Ice Punch to hit Klang and other Mawile super effectively. Body Slam allows Mawile to spread paralysis on the defensive set.</p>

[Checks and Counters]

[gp]2/2[/gp]

edit: poppy keep your pants on

i'm getting to it

worked over and stamped poppy's check etc

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)