Mawile (SubPunch) [QC 3/3] [GP 1/2]

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
SubPunch
########
name: SubPunch
move 1: Substitute
move 2: Focus Punch
move 3: Sucker Punch
move 4: Play Rough / Iron Head
ability: Intimidate
item: Mawilite
evs: 172 HP / 252 Atk / 84 Spe
nature: Adamant

Moves
========

Substitute is the primary move of the set, and raises Mawile's offensive presence to a whole new level. Dealing with Mawile behind a Substitute is incredibly difficult, since, most of the time, opponents rely on status or fast and strong attackers, preferably those that resist Sucker Punch, to check it. Obviously, none of these options are desirable if Mawile is hiding behind a Substitute. Focus Punch is a coverage move that becomes conceivable along with Substitute. With Mawile now equipped with a powerful Fighting-type move, Heatran will think twice before switching in. Sucker Punch is an important move as well, as it mitigates Mawile's awful Speed. It is even easier to spam in this set, given that if Mawile is behind a Substitute you can safely assume that your opponent will be trying to break it. The choice of the last coverage move should be carefully made. Play Rough is the safest option, providing Mawile with an all-around, good attacking option, and it is also better if you are not certain Mawile can set up a Substitute, which is generally a lot harder when facing offensive and balanced teams. On the other hand, Iron Head complements the other moves perfectly and breaks through most defensive teams with little effort; hitting Mega Venusaur and Amoonguss, and wiping out Fairies such as Clefable and opposing Mawile.

Set Details
========

An Adamant nature and 252 EVs in Attack are essential to to take maximum advantage of the Huge Power boost. 84 EVs in Speed allows Mawile to outspeed uninvested base 60 Speed Pokemon such as Clefable or Aegislash. Keep in mind that this Speed tier is highly contested though. 244 Speed EVs enable Mawile to outspeed Mega Venusaur, which is crucial if Mawile is using Iron Head. Be aware that with that spread, Ferrothorn's Gyro Ball will break Mawile's Substitute, but lowering its Attack with Intimidate can remedy this.

Usage Tips
========

This set really shines against stall teams since it's an archetype likely to rely more on status than raw power to deal with its threats, but it's still possible to get a Substitute up against offensive teams. It's often tempting for your opponents to pivot against Mawile to play around Sucker Punch, but for that, they must not suspect the SubPunch set, because otherwise they will never take this risk. Be aware that Intimidate can become pretty handy in order to set up a Substitute, so it may be smart to keep Mawile in its normal form early-game so it can easily set up late-game.

Mawile is frail despite having a really solid defensive typing, so the use of Substitute is a big deal given its low HP, and this can often make a difference between checking a faster opponent or losing to it outright. Refrain from using Substitute until you're sure Mawile will force a switch or when your opponent can't break Mawile's Substitute anyway, which happens when facing some stall teams. However, a less predictable option would be to reveal the Substitute when your opponent is worried about Sucker Punch. A Latios may use Roost instead of attacking, allowing Mawile to set up a Substitute.

Team Options
========

This set shines in balanced and bulky offense teams that are able to create setup opportunities through VoltTurn cores and the like. Rotom-W is a fantastic teammate because it lures a lot of Pokemon which Mawile can easily set a Substitute up on, such as Ferrothorn and Latias. The type synergy is great too, since it easily takes on Landorus-T and Scizor which Mawile usually attracts when you reveal the Focus Punch set. Talonflame is another great teammate, since it can scare off Venusaur, especially if Mawile is using Play Rough, and really appreciates the removal of Heatran which is the main selling point of a SubPunch Mawile. If it doesn't manage to get a Substitute up, Mawile is more often than not scared away by strong special attackers like Keldeo, Rotom-W, Mega Charizard Y, Landorus, and Heatran; Latios and Latias are decent answers to most of these Pokemon, and the twin dragons will shine even more if Heatran and Ferrothorn aren't there anymore to eat their Draco Meteors.

PS : Don't be rough, that my first time :heart:

Last edited by a moderator:

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Bullet Point in Moves said:
  • Play Rough is Mawile most powerful stab but implies that you can’t touch Venusaur
Yeah, I know I'm nitpicking, but wrong use of "imply" here; the definition means "suggest," but I think really what you're trying to say here is that Mawile has a harder time/can't touch Venusuar at all, so change it to that.

Bullet Point in Usage Tips said:
  • 244 spe can be used to outspeed Venusaur-Mega which is essential if you’re using Iron Head (be aware that with such a spread, Gyro Balls now break Substitute, so lowering Ferrothorn’s attack stat through Intimidate will be key)
Make sure this goes into Set Details, since it is an optional component of the set!

Also, make sure to outline that because Mawile's very slow and susceptible to random hits, it is difficult keep it alive (despite its bulk), especially since this set uses Substitute. Branching from that, also note that Substitute should be carefully used; describe situations where Mawile should/shouldn't use it, or it dies very fast.

Very good for your apparent first analysis, by the way.

Reymedy

ne craint personne
is a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
AccidentalGreed : I checked the defintion of "imply" to see if I wasn't misusing a word derived from French.
[WITH CLAUSE]:the report implies that two million jobs might be lost
I still changed the word because I don't know how common this meaning is.

Jukain : As you wish. I just took the spread from the uploaded Mawile analysis for cohesion's sake. I agree that base 60 is the main thing you're looking to outspeed but usually you speed creep like mad because your Mawile itself is often your best answer for other Mawiles.

I also tried to add smoothly Dice suggestions.

Thanks for the help everybody.

Jukain

!_!
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Just mention that Iron Head annihilates Amoon and Clefable which is p nice (not that it doesn't win anyways but it gets to keep its Sub which is nice).

Changed title bc QC checks. Now you write this up :]

Reymedy

ne craint personne
Aight.

And I'm on it, I'm writting it up elsewhere because it's not really "comfortable" here, I"ll update it all at once !

edit : updated x:

Last edited:

Reymedy

ne craint personne
Oh darn, I thought it was over and all but no.
Edited the title, and bumping in case of .. ._.

horyzhnz

[10:02:17 AM] flcl: its hory xD
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
SubPunch
########
ability: Huge Power

Moves
========

Substitute is the crux of the set primary move of the set, and raises Mawile's dangerousness offensive presence to a whole different new level. Dealing with a Mawile behind a Substitute is incredibly difficult,(AC) since,(RC) most of the time, you count on Status opponents rely on status or faster and strong hitters attackers (that preferably resisting Sucker Punch) to check it. Obviously,(AC) none of these options are desirable may if Mawile be is hiding behind a Substitute. Focus Punch is a coverage move that becomes conceivable along with Substitute. With Mawile now equipped with a powerful Fighting-type move, Heatran better will think twice before switching in. Sucker Punch is an important move as well, in order to mitigate Mawile's awful Speed. Its use may even be easier to spam in this set, given that if you’re Mawile is behind a Substitute you can safely assume that your opponent will be attacking trying to break it. The choice of the last coverage move should be carefully made. Play Rough is the safest option, providing you Mawile with an all-around,(RC) self-efficient good attacking option. On the other hand, Iron Head completes perfectly the other moves complements the other moves perfectly; This is also your best move to hitting Venusaur-Mega (or Amoonguss) Mega Venusaur and Amoonguss, and wipes wiping out Fairies such as Clefable and opposing Mawile in general (defensive Clefables and opposing Mawiles before they can attempt to break your substitute). In a nutshell, once behind a Substitute, you better have Iron Head in your moveset because it perfects your coverage, turning Mawile-M into an unwallable sweeper. This is the move you want to have to break Defensive teams with little effort. Play Rough is a better move if you’re not so sure in your ability to give Mawile substitutes, which is generally a lot harder against Offensive and Balanced teams.

Set Details
========

Obviously,(RC) An Adamant nature and 252 EVs in Attack are essential to max to take maximum advantage of the Huge Power boost out. 84 EVs in Speed is the lowest amount of Speed you need to run, as it allows you Mawile to outspeed the uninvested base 60s such as Clefable or Aegislash. Keep in mind that this Speed tier is highly contested though. You can invest up to 244 in Speed 244 Speed EVs enable Mawile to outspeed Venusaur-Mega Mega Venusaur,(AC) which is crucial if you’re Mawile is using Iron Head (be aware that with such that spread, Ferrothorn's Gyro Balls now will break Mawile's Substitute, so but lowering its Attack stat through with Intimidate beforehand will be key can remedy this).

Usage Tips
========

As mentioned,(RC) This set really shines against stall teams since it's an archetype likely to count rely more on status more than on raw power to deal with its threats,(AC) but it's is still possible to get a Substitute up against offensive teams though. It's often tempting for your opponents to pivot against Mawile to play around Sucker Punches, but for that, they must not suspect the content of your the SubPunch set, because else,(RC) otherwise they will never take this risk. Be wary aware that Intimidate can become pretty handy in order to set up a Substitute, so it may be smart to keep Mawile unevolved in its normal form through the early-game in order to set-up easier later so it can easily set up late-game.
Mawile is frail despite having a really solid defensive typing,(AC) so the 25% tribute use of Substitute really makes is a big deal given its low HP Stat, and this can often make a difference between checking or not a faster opponent or losing to it outright opposing pokemon given that the latter is likely to be faster than Mawile. Thus, a clever usage of Mawile's Substitute, would be to save it for when Refrain from using Substitute until you're sure to generate Mawile will force a switch or when your opponent can't break your Mawile's Substitute anyway (which happens to be commonly seen in Stall teams when facing some stall teams). However, a less predictable option would be to reveal the Substitute when your opponent is worried about Sucker Punch. A Latios may try to use Roost instead of attacking you, allowing your to set-up a valuable Mawile to set up a Substitute. The easiest way to get a Substitute up remains opponent pokemons locked into Outrage.

Team Options
========

This set shines in balanced and bulky offense teams that are able to create setup opportunities through VoltTurn cores and the like thanks, for instance, to a Volt-Turn core. Rotom-Wash is a fantastic teammate because it lures a lot of pokemons easy to set substitutes on for Mawile such as Ferrothorn, Latias Pokemon which Mawile can easily set a Substitute up on, such as Ferrothorn and Latias. The typing type synergy is great too, since it easily takes on the Landorus-Therian and the Scizors which Mawile usually attracts when you reveal the Focus Punch set. Talonflame also offers an interesting typing combinaison is another great teammate, since it can scare off Venusaur (essential if Mawile is using Play Rough), and really appreciates the eviction removal of opposing Heatrans which is the main selling point of a SubPunch Mawile. If it didn't doesn't manage to get a Substitute up, Mawile is more often than not scared away by strong special attackers like Keldeo, Rotom-Wash, Mega Charizard Y, Landorus,(AC) and or Heatran; Latios and Latias appear as are decent answers to most of these Pokemons, and the twin dragons will shine even more if Heatran and Ferrothorn aren't there anymore to eat their Draco Meteors.

PS : Don't be rough, that my first time :heart: Sorry :(

There was a lot of stuff I changed, so if I've interpreted something incorrectly or made some changes that were too subjective, please let me know asap :]

GP 1/2

Reymedy

ne craint personne
There was a lot of stuff I changed, so if I've interpreted something incorrectly or made some changes that were too subjective, please let me know asap :]

GP 1/2
edited
as for the changes, if you prefer your own syntax and believe that the team orientation is irrelevant, that's your call, I can live with it
you're the boss :)

horyzhnz

[10:02:17 AM] flcl: its hory xD
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
oh my bad, i meant to merge that into the part above, but I guess I forgot :L
Substitute is the primary move of the set, and raises Mawile's offensive presence to a whole new level. Dealing with Mawile behind a Substitute is incredibly difficult, since, most of the time, opponents rely on status or fast and strong attackers (that preferably resist Sucker Punch) to check it. Obviously, none of these options are desirable if Mawile is hiding behind a Substitute. Focus Punch is a coverage move that becomes conceivable along with Substitute. With Mawile now equipped with a powerful Fighting-type move, Heatran will think twice before switching in. Sucker Punch is an important move as well, in order to mitigate Mawile's awful Speed. It even be easier to spam in this set, given that if Mawile is behind a Substitute you can safely assume that your opponent will be trying to break it. The choice of the last coverage move should be carefully made. Play Rough is the safest option, providing Mawile with an all-around, good attacking option, and it is also better if you are not certain Mawile can set up a Substitute, which is generally a lot harder when facing offensive and balanced teams. On the other hand, Iron Head complements the other moves perfectly and breaks through most defensive teams with little effort; hitting Mega Venusaur and Amoonguss, and wiping out Fairies such as Clefable and opposing Mawile.

just copy and paste this into the moves section, and also the '(AC)'s are just to make it more clear where I've added a comma, and should be removed

Lumari

empty spaces
is a Site Content Manageris a Top Social Media Contributoris a Member of Senior Staffis a Community Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributoris an Administrator Alumnus
TFP Leader
Small nitpick, but you should list Mawile's base forme's ability in the moveset (i.e. Intimidate. You can leave out Huge Power, it will always have that ability after mega evolving so there's no need to explicitly mention it.)

Lord Alphose

All these squares make a circle
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Remove
Add
SubPunch
########
ability: Intimidate

Moves
========

Substitute is the primary move of the set, and raises Mawile's offensive presence to a whole new level. Dealing with Mawile behind a Substitute is incredibly difficult, since, most of the time, opponents rely on status or fast and strong attackers (that,(AC) preferably those that resist Sucker Punch,(AC) to check it. Obviously, none of these options are desirable if Mawile is hiding behind a Substitute. Focus Punch is a coverage move that becomes conceivable along with Substitute. With Mawile now equipped with a powerful Fighting-type move, Heatran will think twice before switching in. Sucker Punch is an important move as well, in order toas it mitigates Mawile's awful Speed. It is even be easier to spam in this set, given that if Mawile is behind a Substitute you can safely assume that your opponent will be trying to break it. The choice of the last coverage move should be carefully made. Play Rough is the safest option, providing Mawile with an all-around, good attacking option, and it is also better if you are not certain Mawile can set up a Substitute, which is generally a lot harder when facing offensive and balanced teams. On the other hand, Iron Head complements the other moves perfectly and breaks through most defensive teams with little effort; hitting Mega Venusaur and Amoonguss, and wiping out Fairies such as Clefable and opposing Mawile.

Set Details
========

An Adamant nature and 252 EVs in Attack are essential to to take maximum advantage of the Huge Power boost. 84 EVs in Speed allows Mawile to outspeed uninvested base 60s Speed Pokemon such as Clefable or Aegislash. Keep in mind that this Speed tier is highly contested though. 244 Speed EVs enable Mawile to outspeed Mega Venusaur, which is crucial if Mawile is using Iron Head (b. Be aware that with that spread, Ferrothorn's Gyro Ball will break Mawile's Substitute, but lowering its Attack with Intimidate can remedy this).

Usage Tips
========

This set really shines against stall teams since it's an archetype likely to rely more on status than raw power to deal with its threats,(AC) but it's still possible to get a Substitute up against offensive teams. It's often tempting for your opponents to pivot against Mawile to play around Sucker Punch, but for that, they must not suspect the SubPunch set, because otherwise they will never take this risk. Be aware that Intimidate can become pretty handy in order to set up a Substitute, so it may be smart to keep Mawile in its normal form early-game so it can easily set up late-game.
Mawile is frail despite having a really solid defensive typing, so the use of Substitute is a big deal given its low HP, and this can often make a difference between checking a faster opponent or losing to it outright. Refrain from using Substitute until you're sure Mawile will force a switch or when your opponent can't break Mawile's Substitute anyway,(AC) (which happens when facing some stall teams). However, a less predictable option would be to reveal the Substitute when your opponent is worried about Sucker Punch. A Latios may use Roost instead of attacking, allowing Mawile to set up a Substitute.

Team Options
========

This set shines in balanced and bulky offense teams that are able to create setup opportunities through VoltTurn cores and the like. Rotom-W is a fantastic teammate because it lures a lot of Pokemon which Mawile can easily set a Substitute up on, such as Ferrothorn and Latias. The type synergy is great too, since it easily takes on Landorus-T and Scizor which Mawile usually attracts when you reveal the Focus Punch set. Talonflame is another great teammate, since it can scare off Venusaur (essent,(AC) especially if Mawile is using Play Rough), and really appreciates the removal of Heatran which is the main selling point of a SubPunch Mawile. If it doesn't manage to get a Substitute up, Mawile is more often than not scared away by strong special attackers like Keldeo, Rotom-W, Mega Charizard Y, Landorus, and Heatran; Latios and Latias are decent answers to most of these Pokemon, and the twin dragons will shine even more if Heatran and Ferrothorn aren't there anymore to eat their Draco Meteors.

2/2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)