Pokémon Mawile

Status
Not open for further replies.
I just thought of an interesting set for Mawilile.

Set Name: Eat it up!
Nature: Adamant/Careful
-Stock pile
-Play rough
-Sucker Punch/Iron head/Fire fang
-Pain Split/Substitute/Sword dance/Rest
Ability: Intimidate -> Huge power
@Mawilite
Ev spread: 132 HP | 252 Atk | 124 Spe

This is just some set I thought of.
I haven't tested it out yet, but I'll probably get to it sometime later.

Last edited:

-Stock pile
-Play rough
@Mawilite

Note: I am NOT copying Hiddenfreezer's set idea.
Mine Is a bit different than his.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus

-Stock pile
-Play rough
@Mawilite

Stockpile is a shit move and Rest leaves you vulnerable without a cleric (which requires you switching out to use, losing the Stockpile boosts anyway).

Stockpile is a shit move and Rest leaves you vulnerable without a cleric (which requires you switching out to use, losing the Stockpile boosts anyway).
After setting up all 3 stockpiles, Mawile becomes a complete tank so even it's vulnerable when it's sleeping, any attack is gonna do nothing. Also Stockpile isn't necessarily a "Shit" move. Boosting both Defense and Sp Defense, It can make Mawile a complete beef cake, :P allowing it to absorb hits. Rest is also very handy. Once Mawilie gets to a low amount of HP or Burned, It can rest all that damage away. And Rest only lasts for 2 turns, It's not a huge deal to just wait. So I wouldn't say these moves are "Shit" if you know how to use them correctly.

After setting up all 3 stockpiles, Mawile becomes a complete tank so even it's vulnerable when it's sleeping, any attack is gonna do nothing. Also Stockpile isn't necessarily a "Shit" move. Boosting both Defense and Sp Defense, It can make Mawile a complete beef cake, :P allowing it to absorb hits. Rest is also very handy. Once Mawilie gets to a low amount of HP or Burned, It can rest all that damage away. And Rest only lasts for 2 turns, It's not a huge deal to just wait. So I wouldn't say these moves are "Shit" if you know how to use them correctly.
The large problem with stockpile is that you aren't becoming substantially more threatening with the defense boosts, and you become extremely susceptible to status and the opposition boosting alongside you. That and without reliable recovery they can simply consistently attack you and wear you down despite the defence boosts. defense boosts are only really valuable when attained alongside attack boosts, so that you're threatening to the opposition and can force a situation where you can take a hit and then OHKO back. It's especially valuable with a substitute, as any time an opponent attacks a substitute and fails to break it is a significant advantage.

Yeah you're kind of a sitting suck sitting there stockpiling and you don't have the bulk to tank too many SE hits. What's worse is that someone can come in with an intimidator, or just plain whirlwind you out of there.

Sub Split
Nature: Adamant
Ability: Intimidate -> Huge Power
Item: Currently Unnamed Mega Mawile Megastone
EVs: 252 ATK / 172 Def / 84 Spe
- Substitute
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit/Rough Play
- Pain Split

Subsplit them and then predict them to death. No STAB or anything but you won't need it. I put all that in Def because with that much investment, you can take an EQ from pretty much everyone unbanded except STAB powerhouses, and you can pain split the guy who used it and fuck them up. Fire, in many cases, will OHKO even with max investment, and you're better off just Sucker Punching or switching out. That and it's neutral to more physical types than special. Speed investment is to outrun Jellicent so you don't get whisped or any horrid bullshit like that.
Since when does Mawile has access to Pursuit???

Edit: Okay Mawile does not get Pursuit, can OP please take it off the Potential Moveset as this is confusing.

Last edited:
All of sudden Mega Mawile has a slight chance of making it in OU metagame.
"slight"
lol the OP needs to be rewritten

Also, i haven't read most of the thread, but has anyone considered running a spread more oriented on speed? Not sure, but I think this outspeeds most non-invested walls. I got the spread from the RMT forums, would it by any chance be from this thread?

Aluri (Mawile) @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Fang

Last edited:
"slight"
lol the OP needs to be rewritten

Also, i haven't read most of the thread, but has anyone considered running a spread more oriented on speed? Not sure, but I think this outspeeds most non-invested walls. I got the spread from the RMT forums, would it by any chance be from this thread?

Aluri (Mawile) @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 48 HP / 252 Atk / 208 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Fire Fang
I think if you want to run that much speed you may as well run max. Max speed mawile is pretty scary outspeeding uninvested trans/scizors/skarmory/other mawiles/Venusaur/non max speed azus etc.

Its totally a viable alternative over the usual 124 speed ones but the loss of bulk is noticeable.

I think if you want to run that much speed you may as well run max. Max speed mawile is pretty scary outspeeding uninvested trans/scizors/skarmory/other mawiles/Venusaur/non max speed azus etc.

Its totally a viable alternative over the usual 124 speed ones but the loss of bulk is noticeable.
Oh, in fact, that's the motive. I use it to outspeed other slow pokemon that rely on their priority, like uninvested Bisharp/Scizor/Azumarril and primarily other mawiles. It's great, they never see it coming. Mega Venusaurs are mostly no problem, they're great setup bait unless we're talking about the HP fire variant.

The few EVs in HP help a lot occasionaly. It's not a tank, sure, but it can survive a few at max health. Lemme show you the calcs of a few moves Aluri has taken...

252 Atk Garchomp Earthquake vs. 48 HP / 0 Def Mega Mawile: 182-216 (71.9 - 85.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252 SpA Togekiss Flamethrower vs. 48 HP / 0 SpD Mega Mawile: 194-230 (76.6 - 90.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ SpA Aegislash-Blade Shadow Ball vs. 48 HP / 0 SpD Mega Mawile: 168-198 (66.4 - 78.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
252+ Atk Dragonite Fire Punch vs. 48 HP / 0 Def Mega Mawile: 152-180 (60 - 71.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

*dies to talonflame though ;;-;;

Max speed Mawile is a gimmick imo, I tried it for a while with SD and Brick Break to lure and OHKO Heatran. While it did eliminate those that weren't trying to speed creep maxed base 50s (which seems to be getting more and more popular), I had to sacrifice either power or bulk, both of which M-Maw really missed.

Hitting 208 EVs outspeeds uninvested base 75s, which is literally just M-Scizor (who's using bullet punch anyways so why do 40% with sucker punch when you can OHKO with fire fang) and Skarmory since everything else invests in speed. You also outspeed Clefable which is cool, I guess.

Max speed Mawile is a gimmick imo, I tried it for a while with SD and Brick Break to lure and OHKO Heatran. While it did eliminate those that weren't trying to speed creep maxed base 50s (which seems to be getting more and more popular), I had to sacrifice either power or bulk, both of which M-Maw really missed.

Hitting 208 EVs outspeeds uninvested base 75s, which is literally just M-Scizor (who's using bullet punch anyways so why do 40% with sucker punch when you can OHKO with fire fang) and Skarmory since everything else invests in speed. You also outspeed Clefable which is cool, I guess.
SubPunch is probably a better bet against Tran, and it can give you a surprise KO on Skarm if you can predict the Roost. It also means you dont really need Fire Fang, since Focus Punch will always OHKO fully defensive Ferrothorn, max HP Scizor after rocks, and will do a huge chunk to max HP Mega Scizor.

252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Heatran: 426-502 (110.3 - 130%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Skarmory [ROOSTED]: 350-414 (104.7 - 123.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Ferrothorn: 368-434 (104.5 - 123.2%) -- guaranteed OHKO
252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Scizor: 308-363 (89.5 - 105.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252+ Atk Huge Power Mega Mawile Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Mega Scizor: 231-272 (67.1 - 79%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

I used to run SubPunch but didn't like using up a slot for substitute, Mawile is too slow to get it up anywhere besides a switch and his low HP means I'm better of BPing subs from Vaporeon. Most of the time you're using Focus Punch is when you know there will be a switch or are predicting a roost anyways, so I may try running SD/FP/PR/SP.

Back on the topic of speed investments though, does anyone think there are key threats between base 50-80 speed that Mawile would like to outrun as opposed to just nailing them hard on the switch?

Any thoughts to Tickle on Mawlie? Your opponent sees M-Mawlie switches out something that could tank a physical hit and suddenly it's got -1 attack/Defense (unless it's Bisharp).

I used to run SubPunch but didn't like using up a slot for substitute, Mawile is too slow to get it up anywhere besides a switch and his low HP means I'm better of BPing subs from Vaporeon. Most of the time you're using Focus Punch is when you know there will be a switch or are predicting a roost anyways, so I may try running SD/FP/PR/SP.

Back on the topic of speed investments though, does anyone think there are key threats between base 50-80 speed that Mawile would like to outrun as opposed to just nailing them hard on the switch?
Sub does so much more than that though. It gives you safety. Safety from status, something mawile never wants to deal with. Also, you know that moment you're wondering if you going for sucker punch will leave you open for them to attack? Well, behind a sub, they HAVE to attack if they plan on breaking it. Also, Focus punch hits harder than Play Rough, that's just ridiculous. The point is, Sub Punch provides a safety from Pokemon that woukd otherwise threaten it, and as long as you generally know how to work it, it can win you games. Hell, she's damn near pulled me into the 1800s alone.

EDIT: holy outdated

This is the mawile(mega) set that I use in my team that lead me to an 1900+ rating on the OU ladder:

Nature: Adamant
EV spread: 236 atk, 180 hp, 92 spd
The investment in speed allows you to speed certain notable checks( a clefable with flamethrower which has fully set up with calm mind for instance)
Movesets:

Play rough
Iron head
Sucker punch
Focus punch(stun the skarmory or heatran who would like to switch in to my mawile =])

Since mega mawile will potentially be sent to the uber tier, the pokemon's parameters will logically be adjusted to meet the possibly new circumstances. Anyhow, ere the doomed outcome of the votes, include this mawile in your team, and with some cleverness and smartness, victory awaits you =]

Last edited:

DisasterLord

Banned deucer.
Now it's definitely banned. Hope you're happy. What's a Gardevoir, Diancie and Altaria, precious?

E: How could I forget Audino?
Dont feed him.

Anyways Im a but thorn in Mmaw going suspect tested as i just love this little guy design. But its sheer power and versatility are really ridiculous. No reliable checks unless you use something rather obscure that will fare terribly most of the time, and most checks can only do it once to top.

I dont care about the 50/50 argument since that is what this game is all about. But Mmawile is just too good at punching trough a team and then let its team pick on the weakened scraps left behind.

TLDR; as much as i hate to see this little guy go, the meta needs to get rid of him to stabilize.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)