Metagame MediocreMons

Hey guys, I made a list of what I think the top ten mons in the meta are: https://pastebin.com/FsnAdssN

Lemmie know what you guys think!

Proof:
In this metagame, only nearly 50 pokemon are viable ( not 418 ) and we can easily put them into straight categories ( Of course some pokemon can be in 2 categories like Golbat for Hazer and Defogger, but it's rare.) We can see that every match have two objectives: win hazards war and win setup war.
Spikes users:
* SR:
-Solrock (B)
-Lunatone (B)
-Gabite (B)
-Smeargle (B)
-Mawile (B)
-Corsola (D)
-Palmitoad (D)
* Spikes:
-Ferroseed (A)
-Squilfish (C)
-Garbodor (C)
* Sticky Web:
-Ariados (C)

Hazards Removers:
-Xatu (S)
-Golbat (B)
-Vullaby (B)
-Wartortle (B)

Dual screeners: -Klefcki (A)

Setup users:
* Sword Dance:
-Shedinja (D)
-Bibarel (D)
-Pawniard (D)
* Belly Drum:
-Slurpuff (S)
-Poliwrath (B)
* Quiver Dance:
-Sensu Oricorio (A)
-Pa'u Oricorio (C)
-Pom-pom Oricorio (A)
-Baile Oricorio (B)
-Vivilion (B)
* Bulk up / Coil:
-Malamar (A)
-Arbok (C)
* Guts: -Raticate (A)
* Dragon Dance: -Dragonair (E)

* Nasty Plot: -Pikachu (A)

Sweeper without setup:
-Abomasnow (B)
-Frogadier (A)
-Togedemaru (A)
-Krokorok (C)
-Rotom (A)
-Magnemite (C)

Rain setter: -Volbeat (B)
Rain abusers:
-Golduck (B)
-Swanna (A)
-Basculin (A)

Wisher: Lickitung (A)
Anti-Setup:
* Unaware: -Quagsire (S)
* Revenge killer: -Ditto (D)
* Hazer: -Mareanie (D)
Staller without role:
-Tropius (E)
-Sableye (E)

I put a viability rankings too.
For me:
S: Excellent pokemon which build and centralize the metagame. ( Example: QUAGSIRE )
A: Very good pokemon with few weaknesses. ( Example: Basculin )
B: Good pokemon but need some support. ( Example: Golduck )
C: Bad pokemon in general but in some teams, it's good. ( Example: Ariados )
D: Very bad pokemon in general. But in very specific teams, it's not bad. ( Example: Mareanie in Hard-Stall.)
E: Bad pokemon. Don't use them. ( Example: Tropius )

What do you think ?

Hey guys, you're forgetting about the ultimate terror. P H I O N E

No but for real, this Pokemon got an amazing tool this generation. Liquidation, which allows it to actually put some offensive pressure while also providing utility, and it makes it somewhat hard to switch into, given its decent 80 speed.

Phione @ Life Orb
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Liquidation
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Heal Bell / Toxic

Liquidation is such a nice and spammable move, and I'm really surprised I haven't seen it being talked about more.

Hey guys, you're forgetting about the ultimate terror. P H I O N E

No but for real, this Pokemon got an amazing tool this generation. Liquidation, which allows it to actually put some offensive pressure while also providing utility, and it makes it somewhat hard to switch into, given its decent 80 speed.

Phione @ Life Orb
Ability: Hydration
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Liquidation
- Knock Off
- U-turn
- Heal Bell / Toxic

Liquidation is such a nice and spammable move, and I'm really surprised I haven't seen it being talked about more.
phione actually kinda sounds good to me is that bad? cause of its some what high stats across the board I could see it as possibly dangerous

phione actually kinda sounds good to me is that bad? cause of its some what high stats across the board I could see it as possibly dangerous
Honestly I'm really excited to try it out in the metagame, it looks REALLY promising.
You could alternatively run a special set with options like Dazzling Gleam, Grass Knot, Ice Beam, Signal Beam, Scald, etc, but it doesn't have the utility or offensive pressure of the Liquidation Utility set

if silvally was insanely powerful with its 95s across the board phione should have no problem right? also this might sound really really stupid but what about scarfed basculin the only thing that can outpseed it is priority and another one but its the fastest pokemon in mediocre mons but it has respectable attack as well

Wait, am I dreaming or is my boy Rotom finally good in a meta? :swole:
Rotom's a nice pick with some great stats; although regular Rotom is a beast in NU as well.
if silvally was insanely powerful with its 95s across the board phione should have no problem right? also this might sound really really stupid but what about scarfed basculin the only thing that can outpseed it is priority and another one but its the fastest pokemon in mediocre mons but it has respectable attack as well
Basculin is also a nice pick; basically you could either choose Phione for the extra bulk + utility allowing it to punch holes + be a cleric, or choose Basculin for absurd power and speed, even if you're one-dimensional and more on the frail side.

togedemaru seems pretty powerful physically with pretty good speed oricorio seems like the special counter part but maybe fire/flying could be good because its like a mini moltres slap a specs on that thing and go to town or electric flying to be a mini zapdos cant forget corsola now can we for defenses it seems

also unown is actually semi usable with its 75 special but its still majorly outclassed but hey at least its easier to use meme pokemon

Here's it's time to shine, I present to you all... Farfetch'd!

With a great attack stat in 90 and fantastic coverage, Farfetch'd now has a niche as a Revenge Killing Scarfer or an Agility boosting Sweeper. With Scarf patching up its mediocre speed, you'd be surprised just how much this thing can handle.

Farfetch'd @ Choice Scarf / Life Orb
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly / Adamant Nature
- Leaf Blade
- Knock Off / Throat Chop
- Brave Bird
- U-turn / First Impression / Return / Poison Jab / Agility

Leaf Blade is one of this thing's best assets, and can decimate Rocks, Grounds, and Waters with easy, making a lot of normal Flying type switch in's unable to handle it. Knock Off is another fantastic tool providing utility although you could use Throat Chop for consistent, reliable damage as well, and Brave Bird is almighty glorious STAB. The last slot is a toss-up between specific needs. If you need to keep momentum and expect a ton of switchs, slap on U-Turn. If you need an answer to other particular scarfers or set up sweepers, priority First Impression is another fantastic choice. STAB Return is also good as well for additional coverage and non-recoil inducing reliable power. If you're really having trouble with Fairies, you could always run Poison Jab. This Pokemon is a wonderful answer to Intimidate switch-in's thanks to its fantastic ability in Defiant, boosting its already great attack to frightening levels.

Agility is required if you're going to run anything other than Scarf, as its speed is still not that great. However once you have an Agility set up you can REALLY make that awesome coverage work for you. Farfetch'd also really appreciates Webs and Rocks support.

There are some other neat options in its movepool, such as Iron Tail for a strong Steel type move, and STAB Last Resort for insane power if you want to run a more gimmicky set with just Agility and Last Resort. STAB Acrobatics and STAB Priority in Quick Attack are also viable options. STAB Body Slam is interesting for its 30% paralysis chance, but it's generally gimmicky. Facade is another useful STAB move as well in case it gets status'd. Farfetch'd also gets a variety of boosting moves like Swords Dance and Work Up, but Agility is generally preferred. It also has an unusually high amount of Support options including Defog, Baton Pass, Final Gambit, Reflect, Roost, Tailwind, Whirlwind, Wish, Endure, and Yawn.

Well, what are you waiting for? It's Farfetch'd's time to shine.

G-Luke

Sugar, Spice and One For All
is a Community Contributoris a CAP Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnus
is villvian good?

what about arbok?

(is there a viability list?)

some of the lc pokemon seem kinda fun and gimmicky
Vivillon is a great sweeper, but suffers from a terrible defensive typing and being outsped by every viable Scarfer outside of Abomasnow. It can however, be a pain for teams to actually handle defensively.

Arbok is an ok sweeper, but you generally have much better options for sweeping.

I'm new to the meta, but I'm suprised no one has mentioned Mothim. It's attack and special attack are base 94. Below is the set from PU. I think it could run a choice scarf also given that would allow it to outspeed the entire meta. It's also hard to switch against given its ability effectively reduces resistance by 1 step.

Mothim @ Choice Specs
Ability: Tinted Lens
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Rash Nature
- Bug Buzz
- Air Slash
- U-turn
- Energy Ball

so this meta hasnt been active in 3 months. I want to change that. This meta has potential to be at least fun and i play ALOT of NFE. This is a mixture of NFE mons who have lower stats and Fully evolved pokemons who cant be in the spotlight since sometimes, they suck. Even tho the generation is ending, doesnt mean a meta is. I am reviving this since we cant take being UM for granted. so few metas are like UM and being dead is not fun so im opening this up for speculation. Welcome to Mediocremons, a meta for us to use bad mons and certain NFEs.

i am not sure if G Luke minds if i take over maybe. If ANYONE wants to help out on this revival, shoot me a message in dms on smogon or on discord WMAR#1083. This revival is big for me and all the help i can get i appreciate it.

Gen 8 is on the horizon and me and the crew have been playing and testing with this meta so it comes to life in some shape or form. First i will add a banlist we all decided and reasonings for each ban is basically the same but i will add a reasoning for Huge Power ban.

Bans: Silvally, Type: Null, Clefable, Huge Power, Shadow Tag

Huge Power was banned on the account that Diggersby is broken with it. With the low speed and low bulk of the meta, nothing can take on the Huge Power menance. Since we have a small pool of fully evolved pokemon, the council decided its best to ban the ability that makes Diggersby broken in the first place to preserve Diggersby, and banning the ability causes less collateral damage since Diggersby is the only legal Huge Power user.

Below is a table of each legal pokemon over 300 bst other than some outliers like Ditto, Shedinja and Diglett so you guys have an idea on what you can use

Slurpuff
Abomasnow
Malamar
Glalie
Cramorant
Garbodor
Xatu
Lunaton
Solrock
Basculin
Thievul
Seaking
Cherrim
Qwilfish
Rotom
Klang
Morpeko
Togedemaru
Quagsire
Diggersby
Zweilous
Hakamo-o
Thwackey
Raboot
Drizzile
Ponyta-Galar
Pupitar
Carkol
Charmeleon
Charjabug
Butterfree
Gloom
Vanillish
Gothorita
Palpitoad
Sableye
Mawile
Farfetch'd-Galar
Lampent
Vullaby
Hattrem
Morgrem
Corvisquire
Tranquill
Espurr
Growlithe
Rufflet
Drifloon
Scraggy
Pancham
Rhyhorn
Spritzee
Swirlix
Koffing
Lombre
Nuzleaf
Vibrava
Pawniard
Stufful
Frillish
Elgem
Pumpkaboo
Pumpkaboo-Small
Pumpkaboo-Large
Pumpkaboo-Super
Dottler
Snover
Chinchou
Delibird
Hippopotas
Skorupi
Cufant
Stunky
Trubbish
Drilbur
Eevee
Shellos
Dwebble
Clefairy
Woobat
Pikachu
Oddish
Goldeen
Natu
Axew
Salandit
Joltik
Darumaka-Galar
Karrablast
Silicobra
Mime Jr.
Grookey
Skorbunny
Sobble
Clobbopus
Charmander
Phantump
Corphish
Sinistea
Binacle
machop
Timburr
Vanillite
Ferroseed
Cubchoo
Shelmet
Mareanie
Sizzlipede
Bergmite
Cutiefly
Yamask
Yamask-Galar
Golett
Bronzor
Vulpix
Vulpix-Alola
Ditto
Riolu
Diglett
Gossifleur
Shedinja
Some big names i like to name drop are Slurpuff, Xatu which were top tier previously, and Morpeko and Cramorant being new top tiers. Morpeko has solid attack and speed for the tier and fantastic coverage to handle its would be counter, Quagsire who is here to stop Slurpuff. Slurpuff has been nerf significantly by virtue of losing Belly Drum meaning a bulky set up sweeper is the one way to go. Xatu is here to harass hazard setters like it always does causing 50/50s in the hazard game. Rapid Spin has been greatly buff to boost speed and 50 base power which is huge. Cramorant is probably the best Dynamax user in the meta along with Xatu, Cramorant has near unresisted coverage, only mon being Chinchou, and can run a variety of sets, Specs being notable. Abomasnow is the biggest winner of buffs, wider coverage and Aurora Veil. Abomasnow is now more versatile than ever and is my personal favorite to use. From support to offensive, Abomasnow can do many.

What do you guys think of gen 8, lets have some discussion and talk potential bans, i am very interested in knowing, thank you for reading

Last edited:
To start of gen 8, i would like to announce some progress we have made while playing. The council has decided to ban Dynamax due to the following reason: We all know how broken this mechanic is and in order to progress in this tier, we have to ban the mechanic that has been very controversial. The fact that Dynamaxing lets choice users switch up moves changes the game entirely and one perfect example is this replay https://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen8ou-1022797081 This showcases how broken Dynamaxing truly is. Fany was very close to losing the game since he locked himself into Zing Zap and if he switched he would die to spikes. Fany make the perfect decision to Dynamax on the right turn completely changing the game. Dynamaxing allows for each turn to have unnecessary 50/50s which for the player is very pressuring and we decided now is the time to ban this once and for all.

Now we got that out of the way, I want to also announce the council has also decided to test Silvally, but just Silvally-Normal, for now the Memory's are banned so you can only use Silvally-Normal. Silvally-Normal is allowed during the suspect. This gives us an understanding to see if Silvally is broken on its own or if its fine without changing the types. Silvally in this gen lost Defog so Silvally loses its role of removing hazards and lost Flame Charge so sweeping won't be easy like it did in gen 7.

If you want to participate on the test, join the official discord server https://discord.gg/e28hN3F and for one week we will test Silvally to ensure know if we need to ban it or allow Silvally and certain types, or Just Silvally, and i will allow open voting so we can all vote and the Super Majority 60% we will unban Silvally officially. We will play in gen 8 ou but we banned Dynamax so don't worry about that broken Mechanic. Thank you this is WMAR and lets have fun. I am excited for the future. I am open to use this forum for thoughts on Silvally on the metagame

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)