XY OU Mega Altaria (Sub DD)

Hi today I have a Mega Altaria team. I liked the sub dd set because it catches people off guard and are completely useless once I am behind a sub with two boost. Without further ado lets begin.

Altaria @ Altarianite
Ability: Natural Cure
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 248 HP / 136 Def / 96 SpD / 28 Spe
Impish Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Roost
- Return
- Substitute
This is the star of the team. I put sub on here so I can be protected while I boost up. Also when I am predicting a status aliment I would sub up catching the player off guard. Given spread attempts to give as much overall defense as possible; it doesn't get 2HKOed by Choice Band Dragonite's Earthquake, Mega Heracross Rock Blast, +1 Jolly Charizard-X's Flare Blitz, and Thundurus's Life Orb Hidden Power Ice. It outruns Mega Lopunny and Manectric after two boosts, and outruns max Speed Azumarill when unboosted.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 248 HP / 192 SpD / 64 Spe
Calm Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Stealth Rock
- Lava Plume
- Taunt
- Protect
I needed someone to take the steel type hits and all the other hits Mega altaria is weak to. I take on the likes of venusaur, amoongus, gengar, and dragalge. Leftovers is the item of choice, as it's great for healing residual damage, seeing as Heatran has no form of reliable recovery. 248 HP EVs are used to minimize entry hazard damage, while 68 Speed EVs are used to hit 207 Speed, which lets Heatran outspeed most Mega Venusaur and Suicune. This lets Heatran either KO them or Taunt them to prevent them from healing or setting up. In addition, the investment in Speed lets Heatran outspeed most Mega Scizor that try to Speed creep Heatran, as well as maximum Speed Adamant Azumarill. The rest is put in Special Defense for additional special bulk.

Slowbro @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
- Thunder Wave
- Slack Off
- Scald
- Fire Blast
Next up is Slowbro. This mon is very good at taking physical attacks SE or not. My team seem really weak to char X so I put it Thunder wave on it to slow it down then kill it with my latias's draco. Fire blast are for ferrothorn and Mega metagross (right after I twave them). An EV investment of 252 HP and 24 Special Defense ensures that Slowbro will survive two Hydro Pumps from Choice Specs Keldeo after Stealth Rock damage, factoring in Leftovers recovery. The rest of the EVs are placed in Defense and backed by a Bold nature to help Slowbro wall physical attackers. Regenerator restores a sizable portion of Slowbro's health when it switches out.

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 160 Def / 96 SpD
Bold Nature
- Clear Smog
- Sludge Bomb
- Giga Drain
- Spore
I was looking at my team and I noticed I was extremely weak to Belly Drum Azumarill so here where amoonguss comes in. This also creates a regenerator core with slowbro. When azu gets up a belly drum I simply clear smog it then kill it with one of my members. I've seen an alternative set to take on Belly drum azu with 252/136/120. Comment below if I should choose this instead.

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Roost
I added latias for defog support and have a more offensive presence/win condition. The EVs are designed to make Latias bulky enough to come in on resisted or neutral hits from various offensive threats, while still maintaining offensive presence. 72 EVs are put in HP, which increases Latias's bulk to the point at which it always avoids the 2HKO from Life Orb Thundurus's Hidden Power Ice, and also makes Latias hit a Life Orb number. 184 EVs in Special Attack with a Life Orb equipped are enough for Latias to always OHKO Landorus with Draco Meteor after damage from Stealth Rock.

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Secret Sword
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Icy Wind
Lastly I notice I was weak to choice scarf lando so I added a scarfer myself. These are the standard evs. Not much to say about this, but this also provides me as a win condition.

Thank you for taking a look at my team. I will be posting replays later on to demonstrate the team. Please give me honest opinions, suggestions, and rates.

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hi there! Pretty good team, however you may want to put Pokemon pictures or sprites in order to make it more pleasant to read through. You can use these sprites :

First of all I would have Toxic on Heatran over Protect. This enables you to stall out a bunch of Pokemon such as Latios and Mega-Gardevoir, and lets you cripple switchins such as Keldeo, Slowbro, Rotom-W and Azumarill. Although protect is very useful for scouting scarfers, Taunt is necessary for dealing with Clefable and neuter opposing Heatran so I wouldn't get rid of it.

Sludge Bomb isn't really useful on Amoonguss, you already have Clear Smog and, though the poison chance is nice, the ability to stop BD Azumarill and other setup sweepers is even more valuable, and the extra damage is irrelevant on something as weak as Amoonguss. I would run Foul Play over it. This enables you to actually beat Taunt LO Gengar (massive threat to your team) reliably, you can't Spore it if it Taunts you so Foul Play enables you to completely avoid that. I would also run a spread of 252 HP / 52 Def / 204 SpD on Amoonguss as I said, this is your team's only answer to Gengar, and this amount of SpD enables you switch into Sludge Wave. You could even run 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD with a Calm nature to take 2 Sludge Waves after Stealth Rocks. However, this second makes you weaker to Mega-Diancie who can now 2HKO you with Diamond Storm so you pretty much have to pick your poison. If you think you can handle Gengar, Hidden Power Fire is also an option : it gives you a secondary lure to Ferrothorn, who often switches into Amoonguss to absorb Spore, and you kinda want that thing removed since it stops MAltaria from sweeping.

However, if you're using Amoonguss solely as a BD Azumarill counter, that's a problem since Belly Drum Azumarill nowadays carry Knock Off specifically to hit Amoonguss. One way to deal with this would be to use Quagsire over Slowbro. Quagsire isn't quite as good as Slowbro overall but it does beat BD Azumarill, which both Slowbro and Amoonguss lose to. However, this kinda kills your Regenerator core so you may not want that. Another option would be Rotom-W over Slowbro : it is also a good check to BD Azumarill and provides you with a pivot. You mention that Slowbro handles XZard but you're not exactly weak to it given that Altaria deals with it pretty well, Heatran can toxic stall it (if you run Toxic) if it doesn't run EQ, and Keldeo revenge kills it. However, with Slowbro gone you lose a consistent switchin to Mega-Metagross which is really important for this team, and also compromise your regenerator core so this may not be a great idea either. At the end of the day I think it's best you keep your team weak to BD Knock Off Azumarill : I don't think you can fix your weakness without making your team weaker to something else in return, and besides, Latias+Altaria can revenge kill it so it's not like you completely lose to it.

Other weaknesses : Mega-Pinsir looks pretty scary for your team, you need to keep Slowbro at full otherwise it can setup on Amoonguss of Secret-Sword locked Keldeo and go ham on your team Skarmory could work as a replacement for Slowbro, it deals with it as well as Mega-Metagross (even handles Grass Knot variants) and can even run Stealth Rock to free up a moveslot on Heatran fr Protect. Hippowdon can also work, it doesn't deal with MPinsir as convincingly and loses to Grass Knot Metagross so it's probably not as good a pick as Skarmory, but you may want to try it out regardless given that it's less passive than Skarmory and having a bulky Ground type is always nice. (on a side note, Rotom-W helps you with this too)

Mega-Gardevoir looks like an even bigger threat, it can easily come in on Keldeo, Amoonguss, Slowbro or Latias and your best switchin is Heatran who can potentially be 2HKO'd by Focus Blast. Not sure how to fix this, the best answer to MGardevoir is Jirachi but by replacing Heatran for it lose your answer to Ferrothorn which you desperately need, and give up the nice FWG core you have so it's probably a bad idea to run it. You could give Heatran a Choice Scarf if you manage to fit Stealth Rocks on something else (this also gives you a solid Pinsir check), but you probably want your Heatran to have some form of recovery. You may want to run Choice Scarf Magnezone somewhere on your team, this gives you a solid MGardevoir check as well as a way to trap Ferrothorn, Skarmory and Scizor, though many run Shed Shell so it's not that reliable.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock / Protect
- Lava Plume
- Taunt
- Toxic

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Def / 204 SpD
Bold Nature
- Clear Smog
- Foul Play / Hidden Power [Fire]
- Giga Drain
- Spore

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Scald
- Recover
- Earthquake / Encore

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Skarmory @ Shed Shell
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Counter
- Taunt / Whirlwind
- Stealth Rock / Toxic / Spikes

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock / Toxic / Roar

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Iron Head
- Wish
- Protect
- Body Slam / U-Turn / Stealth Rock

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 HP / 252 Spe / 252 SpA
Timid Nature
- Overheat / Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Stone Edge

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt

Hope this helps!

Hi there! Pretty good team, however you may want to put Pokemon pictures or sprites in order to make it more pleasant to read through. You can use these sprites :

First of all I would have Toxic on Heatran over Protect. This enables you to stall out a bunch of Pokemon such as Latios and Mega-Gardevoir, and lets you cripple switchins such as Keldeo, Slowbro, Rotom-W and Azumarill. Although protect is very useful for scouting scarfers, Taunt is necessary for dealing with Clefable and neuter opposing Heatran so I wouldn't get rid of it.

Sludge Bomb isn't really useful on Amoonguss, you already have Clear Smog and, though the poison chance is nice, the ability to stop BD Azumarill and other setup sweepers is even more valuable, and the extra damage is irrelevant on something as weak as Amoonguss. I would run Foul Play over it. This enables you to actually beat Taunt LO Gengar (massive threat to your team) reliably, you can't Spore it if it Taunts you so Foul Play enables you to completely avoid that. I would also run a spread of 252 HP / 52 Def / 204 SpD on Amoonguss as I said, this is your team's only answer to Gengar, and this amount of SpD enables you switch into Sludge Wave. You could even run 252 HP / 16 Def / 240 SpD with a Calm nature to take 2 Sludge Waves after Stealth Rocks. However, this second makes you weaker to Mega-Diancie who can now 2HKO you with Diamond Storm so you pretty much have to pick your poison. If you think you can handle Gengar, Hidden Power Fire is also an option : it gives you a secondary lure to Ferrothorn, who often switches into Amoonguss to absorb Spore, and you kinda want that thing removed since it stops MAltaria from sweeping.

However, if you're using Amoonguss solely as a BD Azumarill counter, that's a problem since Belly Drum Azumarill nowadays carry Knock Off specifically to hit Amoonguss. One way to deal with this would be to use Quagsire over Slowbro. Quagsire isn't quite as good as Slowbro overall but it does beat BD Azumarill, which both Slowbro and Amoonguss lose to. However, this kinda kills your Regenerator core so you may not want that. Another option would be Rotom-W over Slowbro : it is also a good check to BD Azumarill and provides you with a pivot. You mention that Slowbro handles XZard but you're not exactly weak to it given that Altaria deals with it pretty well, Heatran can toxic stall it (if you run Toxic) if it doesn't run EQ, and Keldeo revenge kills it. However, with Slowbro gone you lose a consistent switchin to Mega-Metagross which is really important for this team, and also compromise your regenerator core so this may not be a great idea either. At the end of the day I think it's best you keep your team weak to BD Knock Off Azumarill : I don't think you can fix your weakness without making your team weaker to something else in return, and besides, Latias+Altaria can revenge kill it so it's not like you completely lose to it.

Other weaknesses : Mega-Pinsir looks pretty scary for your team, you need to keep Slowbro at full otherwise it can setup on Amoonguss of Secret-Sword locked Keldeo and go ham on your team Skarmory could work as a replacement for Slowbro, it deals with it as well as Mega-Metagross (even handles Grass Knot variants) and can even run Stealth Rock to free up a moveslot on Heatran fr Protect. Hippowdon can also work, it doesn't deal with MPinsir as convincingly and loses to Grass Knot Metagross so it's probably not as good a pick as Skarmory, but you may want to try it out regardless given that it's less passive than Skarmory and having a bulky Ground type is always nice. (on a side note, Rotom-W helps you with this too)

Mega-Gardevoir looks like an even bigger threat, it can easily come in on Keldeo, Amoonguss, Slowbro or Latias and your best switchin is Heatran who can potentially be 2HKO'd by Focus Blast. Not sure how to fix this, the best answer to MGardevoir is Jirachi but by replacing Heatran for it lose your answer to Ferrothorn which you desperately need, and give up the nice FWG core you have so it's probably a bad idea to run it. You could give Heatran a Choice Scarf if you manage to fit Stealth Rocks on something else (this also gives you a solid Pinsir check), but you probably want your Heatran to have some form of recovery. You may want to run Choice Scarf Magnezone somewhere on your team, this gives you a solid MGardevoir check as well as a way to trap Ferrothorn, Skarmory and Scizor, though many run Shed Shell so it's not that reliable.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock / Protect
- Lava Plume
- Taunt
- Toxic

Amoonguss @ Black Sludge
EVs: 252 HP / 52 Def / 204 SpD
Bold Nature
- Clear Smog
- Foul Play / Hidden Power [Fire]
- Giga Drain
- Spore

Quagsire @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Bold Nature
- Toxic
- Scald
- Recover
- Earthquake / Encore

Rotom-W @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

Skarmory @ Shed Shell
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Roost
- Counter
- Taunt / Whirlwind
- Stealth Rock / Toxic / Spikes

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Stream
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Slack Off
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock / Toxic / Roar

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Iron Head
- Wish
- Protect
- Body Slam / U-Turn / Stealth Rock

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Overheat / Fire Blast
- Flash Cannon
- Earth Power
- Stone Edge

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Magnet Pull
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Flash Cannon
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Thunderbolt

Hope this helps!
Thank you for rating my team and my regenerator core isnt a huge priority so I wont have a problem replacing some of these mons you mention.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)