ORAS OU Mega-Charizard X Bulky Offense

Hello Everyone, I've started again playing Pokemon just some time ago with the release of ORAS after stopping during DPP. After trying to build a Team on PS to use for Wifi-Battles I've got kind of stuck with Mega-Charizard-X, but kind of failed to build something solid around him. So I hope you can help me turn this team into something functioning.

Team Building Process

So I started out with Charizard and Rotom-W to gain momentum with Volt Switch and help the dragon with the likes of Slowbro, Gyarados and Heatran.

Then I added Lando-T for Stealth Rocks, Intimidate and to threaten TTar. Because of its great synergy with Rotom it was quite an easy to fit into this team.

With Hydreigon I added a special revenger with access to U-Turn. He especially helps me handling the Latis, Metagross and other boosting dragons.

Then I added Latias myself to sponge hits from the special side of spectrum and to get some Defog Support, especially for Charizard.

As last poke I added Sylveon to get in control of my problem to take dragon moves and add some cleric support.

Team In-Depth

Charizard @ Charizardite X
Ability: Blaze
EVs: 144 HP / 252 Atk / 112 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Dragon Dance
- Dragon Claw
- Flare Blitz
- Roost

---> He is the star of the team. As soon as Slowbro, Heatran, Azumarill and other threatening physical walls are removed this thing rips teams apart after a Dragon Dance. It's ability to take physical hits and simply roost them off is amazing, but I do miss sometimes the speed investment to outspeed fast Landos. Also the synergy between him, rotom and latias is quite outstanding in some battles, but sometimes the team seems to rely on a charizard sweep too much as he is my only win condition.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hydro Pump
- Will-O-Wisp
- Pain Split

---> My switch-in for bulky water and ground pokemon which pose a threat for Charizard. Because Rotom has to cover a very wide spectrum of physical threats, Lando-T does help him out covering hits. Pain Split was chosen over Rest because Cleric Support is provided. Volt Switch is especially helpful for bringing in Hydreigon/Charizard safely to put up pressure on the opponent or to simply keep momentum up. Will-O-Wisp mostly helps with crippling threats on the switch to easen up volt-switching into an appropriate pokemon.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Knock Off

--> It's scary how easy this monster fits on almost any team. Lando is my Stealth Rock setter and Intimidate user to help Rotom with defensive presence. I chose Knock Off over Stone Edge because the Washingmachine already hits Talonflame and Mega Pinsir with Volt Switch. The combination of Intimidate, VoltTurn and Will-O-Whisp is simply awesome on this team and eases up Sylveons job as a cleric a lot. Still Lando sometimes doesn't contribute to much to the team except Rocks which are still very important especially for Hydreigon.

Hydreigon @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Dark Pulse
- Earth Power
- U-turn

--> Hydreigon completes my VoltTurn Core and is the revenger for this team. I absolutely love this monster as it allows me to build up a lot of pressure with its great coverage. He allows me to handle unboosted dragons, psychos (especially metagross) and especially steel types like heatran. Sometimes when U-Turning I wish I had a steel type to sponge dragon/fairy/ice attacks aimed at him. Still Hydreigon provides a lot of speed and power at the same time, which is very important to this team.

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 104 HP / 152 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Roost

--> Works really well together with my physical defensive core and is my primary defogger. STAB-Psyshock targets poison and fightning types that target Hydreigon and Sylveon. Defog is very important for Charizard and Rotom to keep them healthy and Roost enables Latias to take special hits over time. Spread ensures she lives Knock Off from Lando-T and to take special hits better. Appreciates cleric support a lot in combination with Roost. Works nicely with Hydreigon, except the already mentioned Ice/Fairy/Dragon weakness is kind of a problem here.

Sylveon @ Leftovers
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 252 HP / 220 Def / 36 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Protect
- Hyper Voice

--> My Cleric Support and Fairy Type. With either Teammate of the VoltTurn Core its really easy to bring her in and provide the much appretiated Heal Bell support. Rotom and Hydreigon also especially appretiate Wish support, which makes me want to fit Baton Pass on this thing, but Protect and Hyper Voice are too important as Sylveon is my only ressistance to Fairy and Dragon. Once again I realised after fitting her on the team, that a Steel type is needed to give the team a lot of stabilty. I'm thinking of Heatran as a potent partner instead of Lando-T.

cool team you got there :] one thing i would suggest is to use bulky defog scizor over latias, as you stated, you have a ice weakness as well as a fairy weakness. In particular, mega diancie crushes most of the team. Scizor would be able to check fairies(especially diancie), as well as defogging away hazards.

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Atk / 252 Def
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
- Knock Off/ U-Turn/ Superpower

Last edited:
cool team you got there :] one thing i would suggest is to use bulky defog scizor over latias, as you stated, you have a ice weakness as well as a fairy weakness. In particular, mega diancie crushes most of the team. Scizor would be able to check fairies(especially diancie), as well as defogging away hazards.

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Light Metal
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
But use technician lol

Scizor @ Leftovers
Ability: Technician
Impish Nature
- Defog
- Roost
- Bullet Punch
Thanks for the suggestion, I do really think it would fit type and utility wise into the team, but I'm curious if it will limit me taking special hits that I'd usually take with latias - but I will try ASAP how well scizor does.

Also what do you people think about putting in Hippowdon instead of Lando-T?

you could try using spdef hippo but that just makes you lose a mon of your volt turn, but you get a bulkier mon in return. If you change lati you try hippo, bc yeah spattackers become a problem.

Hippowdon @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Force/Sand Stream
EVs: 252 HP / 144 Def / 112 SpD
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Slack Off
- Stone Edge/Toxic/Whirlwind

I've finally found some time to test Scizor, and I'm absolutly amazed. I chose U-Turn on his last slot because I found it really awesome to extend my voltturn core. The team handles Fairies/Dragons far better now and hazard control is absolutely awesome with all this momentum. Though I'm still thinking about changing Knock Off > U-Turn on him and therefore switching Stone Edge > Knock Off on Lando-T.

I'm very unsure about Hippo, cause lando does still does provide Intimidate and U-Turn, maybe I'll check him out tomorrow.

Btw, thanks a lot for your help :)

Reactions: tko
imho, you should keep U-turn, but switch knock to stone edge anyway. Just because it's a fantastic move doesn't mean you need to have a knocker on every team.

I'd consider running Clefable over cleric Sylveon as it has two great defensive abilities in Magic Guard and Unaware and an excellent movepool with things like Thunder Wave to cripple sweepers and Flamethrower to destroy Steels.

Yh clef is usually a better cleric bc its 4th slot is free, it can go t wave(heh my fav) or flamethrower

Honestly I was already thinking about running clefa over sylveon because of unaware, but now that latias is gone the special bulk sylveon is really necessary and wish support helped me in my last battles a lot. Also the extra damage of sylveons hyper voice does make a difference sometimes.
But maybe if I'd run a Specially Defensive Hippo over Lando, bringing in clefa would make sense.

Anyway,.. I my last few matches I found out that my team gets rekt really hard by mega-charizard-y as soon as my charizard is gone. So maybe Hippo would be worth to try or I might just use rock slide/stone edge over knock off on lando.
Not sure what would help the most.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)