Metagame Mega Evolution in Sun & Moon

Status
Not open for further replies.
252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Thunder Punch vs. 248 HP / 192 Def Tapu Fini: 234-276 (68.2 - 80.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Tough Claws Metagross-Mega Thunder Punch vs. 248 HP / 192 Def Tapu Fini: 174-206 (50.7 - 60%) -- 85.9% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
In regards to this calc, Mawile's Iron Head already hits harder than Metagross's Thunder Punch, and it's a guaranteed 2HKO.

Mega Beedrill is going to be significantly better than it was in OR/AS. I still think OU is out of its range, but in UU it will be amazing. No more Mega Aggron and Steelix to shut it down, and it doesn't need to run Protect anymore. This is what I'll run when it's released:

Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off
- Fell Stinger

Hit really hard, if something comes in that it can't kill just U-turn out to something that can. U-turn is the main move, hitting reasonably hard and grabbing momentum. Poison Jab wrecks Fairy types, and is helpful if you need to stay in. Most of Mega Beedrill's switch ins hate losing their item, so Knock Off is used in the 3rd slot. I find Knock Off more useful than Drill Run, as you're better off U-turning out of Rock and Steel types, and most Fire and Electric types are hit hard enough by Poison Jab anyway. Fell Stinger has 100 power thanks to Adaptability, and if it finishes off something you get an amazing +3 Attack boost.

Mega Mawile on the other hand, I can't see staying in OU. It's just way too powerful.

If I remember correctly, in the last competition, rewards were given the day rankings were published, so I think it will be on early March.

Really looking forward to mawilite, if duggy gets the boot then I can have fun blowing stall to smithereens (assuming they don't quick ban it), I can't see anything stall has to reliably beat mawile without resorting to hippodown or mega venu.

That said I'm also eager to pair it with magearna and see what I can do with a modern fairy spam core.

Mawiles best set I can see being play rough, knock off, swords dance and the choice of sucker punch/fire fang/iron head. Reason I think knock off will be mained is because at +2 it reliably beats toxapex and still chunks on stuff like skarm.

6ft Torbjorn

formerly JoycapJoshST
http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/metagame-discussion-thread-v2.3592140/page-17#post-7237172 Considering the bulk of the last couple of pages have been Mawilite/Beedrillite - posted the bulk of my thoughts on the former here.

That being said - if Megagross / Megawile gets the boot, I think there's another mega that A) gets her fair share from the mega buff, and B) I haven't really heard much discussion about.

gardevoir-mega.gif

Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Now I'm aware that Tapu Lele is a thing - but eve dependent upon the situation, their calcs aren't too dissimilar:

Gardevior-M:
· 252 SpA Pixilate Gardevoir-Mega Hyper Voice vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 115-136 (34.4 - 40.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
· 252 SpA Gardevoir-Mega Psychic vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 96-114 (28.7 - 34.1%) -- 52% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock
· 252 SpA Gardevoir-Mega Focus Blast vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 342-404 (102.3 - 120.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
· 252 SpA Gardevoir-Mega Shadow Ball vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 114-135 (34.1 - 40.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
Tapu Lele:
· 252 SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 120-142 (35.9 - 42.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock (Inc. Psychic terrain)
· 252 SpA Tapu Lele Moonblast vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 84-100 (25.1 - 29.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Stealth Rock
· 252 SpA Tapu Lele Focus Blast vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 286-338 (85.6 - 101.1%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
· 252 SpA Tapu Lele Shadow Ball vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 96-113 (28.7 - 33.8%) -- 44.4% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock

This also takes into account the -ate nerf, and Lele on Psychic terrain (only 5 turns to max' offensive presence, whereas Pixilate buff is permanent). Hell, who's to say you couldn't run Lele + Mega Gardevior on the same team? Dual Steels with Celesteela/Mega Metagross and the term 'Psychic spam' have been a thing for a while now - and I think that Garde-M could have a niche on the latter. I also think that Megavoir pips Lele on flexibility in spite of the lack of an item - as Lele's best offensive presence comes from using Choice items (move locks), or the off LO, to outdo it in speed or power (never both).

http://www.smogon.com/forums/threads/metagame-discussion-thread-v2.3592140/page-17#post-7237172 Considering the bulk of the last couple of pages have been Mawilite/Beedrillite - posted the bulk of my thoughts on the former here.

That being said - if Megagross / Megawile gets the boot, I think there's another mega that A) gets her fair share from the mega buff, and B) I haven't really heard much discussion about.

View attachment 78573
Gardevoir-Mega @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- Shadow Ball
- Focus Blast

Now I'm aware that Tapu Lele is a thing - but eve dependent upon the situation, their calcs aren't too dissimilar:

Gardevior-M:
· 252 SpA Pixilate Gardevoir-Mega Hyper Voice vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 115-136 (34.4 - 40.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
· 252 SpA Gardevoir-Mega Psychic vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 96-114 (28.7 - 34.1%) -- 52% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock
· 252 SpA Gardevoir-Mega Focus Blast vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 342-404 (102.3 - 120.9%) -- guaranteed OHKO
· 252 SpA Gardevoir-Mega Shadow Ball vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 114-135 (34.1 - 40.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
Tapu Lele:
· 252 SpA Tapu Lele Psychic vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 120-142 (35.9 - 42.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock (Inc. Psychic terrain)
· 252 SpA Tapu Lele Moonblast vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 84-100 (25.1 - 29.9%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Stealth Rock
· 252 SpA Tapu Lele Focus Blast vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 286-338 (85.6 - 101.1%) -- 50% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
· 252 SpA Tapu Lele Shadow Ball vs. 212 HP / 0 SpD Magnezone: 96-113 (28.7 - 33.8%) -- 44.4% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock

This also takes into account the -ate nerf, and Lele on Psychic terrain (only 5 turns to max' offensive presence, whereas Pixilate buff is permanent). Hell, who's to say you couldn't run Lele + Mega Gardevior on the same team? Dual Steels with Celesteela/Mega Metagross and the term 'Psychic spam' have been a thing for a while now - and I think that Garde-M could have a niche on the latter. I also think that Megavoir pips Lele on flexibility in spite of the lack of an item - as Lele's best offensive presence comes from using Choice items (move locks), or the off LO, to outdo it in speed or power (never both).
I agree Mega Gardevoir will still be pretty good, but what makes Tapu Lele better isn't just the ability... It is the fact that it doesn't take up a Mega slot and still does the same job Gardevoir does while only being a little bit weaker overall and if it is scarfed, significantly faster. To me, that makes Gardevoir a bit more inefficient when I can run a different Mega like Zard or Gyarados to help the rest of the team while still having a mon that does Gard's job.

So, very recently, the release of Pidgeot's and Steelix's mega stone has been officialy announced

https://3ds.pokemon-gl.com/information/65b18aaf-bbe2-47fb-97c5-89034f8bd8d5

Any thoughts on these mons? I can see Mega Pidgeot being a bit better thanks to the speed mega buff, and iirc it also got something from RBY re-releases

I can see Mega Steelix being a niche check for the Tapus (specially Koko), but losing/being set up fodder to Lando-T, Both Greninja, Pheromosa, Chomp, Celesteela, Heatran, Tangrowth, Zygarde, while having no way of recovery other than rest

Pidgeot gets Reflect, which doesn't seem relevant.

Honestly WTF is GF's release schedule? First 4 stones are for mons from 3 gens which vary in power from Uber to RU, and none of them are mons people were hyped for. I just don't see what their reasoning is.

Ema Skye

Work!
I'm not getting excited over the mega releases until we get Lopunnite, Metachamite or Diancite.

Mawilite is going to get banned again, as it's even better with how Fairy-centric the meta has become thanks to the Tapus. There's no way its staying around.

Beedrillite is an inferior Pheromosa. I can't see any reason to use it outside of Poison STAB.

Pidgeotite could be cool, but I honestly don't see a reason to run it over something like Metagross or one of the Zards.

Steelixite is trash.

Reactions: Wob
I'm not sure whether it might be worthwhile for Beedrill to run Adamant with the state of the meta currently when it gets released. Running Jolly allows it to out-speed Koko and Ash Greninja - but that's it outside of Scarfers, plus with Ash Greninja it already takes a heavy chunk from Specs Water Shuriken so it's hardly a good check with Jolly.

I also think Fell Stinger does make for a good and trivial win-con, as with Adamant it takes around 31-37% off neutral bulky threats like Mega Meta. Once you're at the +3 Atk mark, a sweep definitely isn't out of the question. Plus, Adamant makes your U-turn hit considerably harder than Phermosa's, making it a bit of a nuke on mons that don't resist.

Having said all this, it only hits around 50% of the current S and A ranked threats particularly hard who Pheromosa takes advantage of much more easily and at a blazing speed tier. Plus, Phermosa can rely on Beast Boost to innately boosts stats with a KO rather than the sub-par Fell Stinger, and has great SpAtk too. Overall while Mega Beedrill will see usage, it's currently a pretty niche mon.

6ft Torbjorn

formerly JoycapJoshST
Honestly WTF is GF's release schedule? First 4 stones are for mons from 3 gens which vary in power from Uber to RU, and none of them are mons people were hyped for. I just don't see what their reasoning is.
I don't think Game Freak recognizes the tiers like we do. Just because Mega Pidgeot / Mega Steelix spent most of their time in what we see as mid/higher mid tiers (BL2/BL - whatever you interpret that as) isn't going to have an affect on them.

I don't think Game Freak recognizes the tiers like we do. Just because Mega Pidgeot / Mega Steelix spent most of their time in what we see as mid/higher mid tiers (BL2/BL - whatever you interpret that as) isn't going to have an affect on them.
Well of course they don't, but it was easier than saying "Pidgeotite and Beedrilite are useable but not worth it, Mawilite is broken AF, and Steelixite is trash." GF has VGC and Battlespot Singles data from all of last gen, they have to know that much.

Well of course they don't, but it was easier than saying "Pidgeotite and Beedrilite are useable but not worth it, Mawilite is broken AF, and Steelixite is trash." GF has VGC and Battlespot Singles data from all of last gen, they have to know that much.
There's probably a logic to releasing the subpar megastones before a deluge of good mega stones (though...checking the list its not like there's that many "hyped" mega stones left) to have them be used more often. Or in the case of things like Pidgeot & Beedrill, a fun boost to people who banked from the VC titles.

can someone tell me what stones are new and how 2 get them? i figured out mewtwo but need mawile and beedrillites
Mega Beedrill is going to be significantly better than it was in OR/AS. I still think OU is out of its range, but in UU it will be amazing. No more Mega Aggron and Steelix to shut it down, and it doesn't need to run Protect anymore. This is what I'll run when it's released:

Beedrill @ Beedrillite
Ability: Swarm
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- U-turn
- Poison Jab
- Knock Off
- Fell Stinger

Hit really hard, if something comes in that it can't kill just U-turn out to something that can. U-turn is the main move, hitting reasonably hard and grabbing momentum. Poison Jab wrecks Fairy types, and is helpful if you need to stay in. Most of Mega Beedrill's switch ins hate losing their item, so Knock Off is used in the 3rd slot. I find Knock Off more useful than Drill Run, as you're better off U-turning out of Rock and Steel types, and most Fire and Electric types are hit hard enough by Poison Jab anyway. Fell Stinger has 100 power thanks to Adaptability, and if it finishes off something you get an amazing +3 Attack boost.

Mega Mawile on the other hand, I can't see staying in OU. It's just way too powerful.
that was the exact beedrill set i like except replace u turn with drill run for weakness coverage

Mega Mawile is still amazing. What a surprise!

However, the nerf to Sucker Punch definitely gives offence more breathing room against this monster.: offensive Chomp, Lando-T, Heatran no longer die straight up to +2 Sucker Punch

Calc for 80 Bp sucker; tl;dr: die after rocks at +2
+2 252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 313-369 (81 - 95.5%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 344-405 (96 - 113.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+1 252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Landorus-Therian: 268-316 (84 - 99%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Calc for 70 BP; tl;dr: lives with a sliver of health to KO

+1 252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Landorus-Therian: 235-277 (73.6 - 86.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 300-354 (83.7 - 98.8%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 274-323 (70.9 - 83.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Tapu Koko and Pheromosa resists Sucker so offence has them too

EDIT: Koko lives +2 sucker easily but does only about 70% back. Mosa has no chance to live +2 but Sash/ Fight Z sets does huge damage

Last edited:
Reactions: Wob
Mega Mawile is still amazing. What a surprise!

However, the nerf to Sucker Punch definitely gives offence more breathing room against this monster.: offensive Chomp, Lando-T, Heatran no longer die straight up to +2 Sucker Punch

Calc for 80 Bp sucker; tl;dr: die after rocks at +2
+2 252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 313-369 (81 - 95.5%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 344-405 (96 - 113.1%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock

+1 252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Landorus-Therian: 268-316 (84 - 99%) -- 75% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

Calc for 70 BP; tl;dr: lives with a sliver of health to KO

+1 252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Landorus-Therian: 235-277 (73.6 - 86.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Sucker Punch vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Garchomp: 300-354 (83.7 - 98.8%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock

+2 252+ Atk Huge Power Mawile-Mega Sucker Punch vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Heatran: 274-323 (70.9 - 83.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock

Tapu Koko and Pheromosa resists Sucker so offence has them too
can sucker punch at +2 ohko pheromosa? ive seen a scizor ohko my pheromosa without any swords dance and it really was impressive. im pretty sure mawile has power really close even though scizor has technician. can u do some stat calcs for possible pheromosa priority counters?

can sucker punch at +2 ohko pheromosa? ive seen a scizor ohko my pheromosa without any swords dance and it really was impressive. im pretty sure mawile has power really close even though scizor has technician. can u do some stat calcs for possible pheromosa priority counters?
+2 Sucker from MegaMaw kills Mosa easily. Koko lives comfortably though. Sorry that wasnt clear in the og post.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)