Mega-Evolution

Do you like Mega-Evolution?

• Yes, I love everything about it!

Votes: 114 53.5%
  • I like the majority of the designs, I just don't like the concept.

Votes: 32 15.0%
  • I like the concept, I just don't like the majority of the designs.

Votes: 46 21.6%
  • No, I don't like Mega-Evolution very much.

Votes: 21 9.9%

• Total voters

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Am I the only person who thought they were just spotty legs? Not sure why Mega-Lopunny would he spotty legs, but I thought it was quite fitting for the design honestly. Notice that it's all one colour on the legs and that there isn't even anywhere the tights join onto the body? It may be based on ripped tights, but if a child playing the game doesn't know what ripped tights represent (a fetish item) then they would think nothing of it. They would either think they were ripped tights or be like me and ignorantly assume they are just spotty legs without looking into them further. The fact that the rips are identical on both lends itself to this. I think this was another way Game Freak was being clever; this design is mature for the more mature people who play their games, whereas children who play it just think nothing of it.

Keep in mind, Mega Lopunny is more designed to be a fighter than anything else, while what appears to be ripped tights is actually just striped fur. Don't make such a big fucking deal out of it, thanks.
Actually, I'm pretty sure they're ripped tights. Japan loves toying with its culture in video games in dirty ways, and the spots on Mega-Lopunny's legs are in the shape of holes in tights.

jynx Ripped tights are a bit of a fetish item in Britain too, but I don't think they are as big as in Eastern Asia from how you're taking this design.

Cresselia~~

Junichi Masuda likes this!!
Am I the only person who thought they were just spotty legs? Not sure why Mega-Lopunny would he spotty legs, but I thought it was quite fitting for the design honestly. Notice that it's all one colour on the legs and that there isn't even anywhere the tights join onto the body? It may be based on ripped tights, but if a child playing the game doesn't know what ripped tights represent (a fetish item) then they would think nothing of it. They would either think they were ripped tights or be like me and ignorantly assume they are just spotty legs without looking into them further. The fact that the rips are identical on both lends itself to this. I think this was another way Game Freak was being clever; this design is mature for the more mature people who play their games, whereas children who play it just think nothing of it.

Actually, I'm pretty sure they're ripped tights. Japan loves toying with its culture in video games in dirty ways, and the spots on Mega-Lopunny's legs are in the shape of holes in tights.

jynx Ripped tights are a bit of a fetish item in Britain too, but I don't think they are as big as in Eastern Asia from how you're taking this design.
True. You enlightened me. I agree that it's clever and I was just worrying too much.
Thanks for pointing out that children would let it slide instead of become disturbed by it.

Now I don't have to worry, I think.
I was just scared of the possibility that Pokemon might get another controversy, because you know, most controversies of Pokemon are silly ones.
I was just kind of worried if some Femnazi group got crazy and would spend time attacking it or what.

If it indeed learns High Jump Kick then ghost switch trolling with be a thing of the past. * Sableye switches in. Mega Lopunny uses High Jump Kick...It's Super Effective! Sableye faints!*

With that said I like Lopunny's new design as well as Salamence's design. Altraria is too fluffy though.

Celever

i am town
is a Community Contributor
Aegis is banned though, so...
Not in VGC, which I assume he's talking about. Mega-Loppuny's offensive boosts might mean that it will become a huge threat in doubles, actually. It has a good typing, movepool (it's got to learn High Jump Kick, I swear. It learn Jump Kick already IIRC) and stats for doubles, unlike Mega-Altaria, who is more suited to singles.

I can not wait to try out Mega Altaria.
1) It's so fluffy!
2) Pixilate Hyper Voice is always good (and it seems like everything with Pixilate has Hyper Voice)
3) IT'S SO FLUFFY!!!!!!!

My first thought on Mence was "Hey, doesn't it have that Normal version of Outrage?" *looks and confirms that it does indeed learn Thrash*. That's gonna hurt, even if Salamence receives no buffs to physical attack which, to be perfectly honest, it doesn't need. I would like it if Salamence gets a nice buff to speed and then split what's left between Atk and Sp. Atk so it could be an amazing mixed attacker. Especially since I just checked what tutor moves it could learn in Gen V and it includes Hyper Voice. Come on, Aerilate Hyper Voice. That would be cool. Though to be fair, 110 Sp. Atk isn't bad.
I just want at least +25 Sp Atk so it is even (more if Atk gets a boost), then enough of a boost in Speed so it can run the mix set without needed Dragon Dance. The rest can go where ever the hell it wants, I don't care*.

Lopunny just seems weird to me, even more so than Kangaskhan. But, with STABs that are supported by Scrappy, it could be cool. It really needs a good solid boost in Atk for it be good. But it is interesting.

*"Hufflepuffs are particularly good finders!"
"What the hell is a Hufflepuff?"

Everyone's excited about Altaria's Pixelated Hyper Voice (Which is pretty cool).

But not as cool as pixelated Return and Double-Edge. 'Cmon fluffy dragon bird, let's go physical!

What would some good movesets each of these Mega's?

Altaria: Dragon/Fairy w/ Pixilate
Salamence: Dragon/Flying w/ Aerilate
Lopunny: Normal/Fighting w/ Scrappy

I'm personally starting to think Fake Out/HJK/Return/Healing Wish for Lopunny. I dunno; just seems to work...

What made you think I was talking about Smogon OU Singles? Obviously I know it's banned. I'm just looking forward to use it in VGC/Official Nintendo tourny events.
Probably because this is a Smogon forum

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor

Haven't you asked this question, like, three times? And each time people point out that since we don't know their full movesets or stats yet, there isn't really a point in speculating. Also, if ORAS adds significant new tutors, what works well in the current metagame might not be that good in the post-ORAS metagame - and we have no way of knowing the post-ORAS metagame until a couple of weeks after ORAS is released.

That being said... Aerilate + Thrash sounds like it's going to inflict a world of pain on anything that isn't Steel, Rock, Electric or a combination thereof. STAB + 120 power + Salamence's respectable Attack + Aerilate boost (akin to Life Orb)... yeah, it will hurt. It also still has Outrage to use, if enemy Fairies are eliminated.

As for Lopunny, I can't see it being that big, really. +100 BST isn't going to change a lot for the bunny, and it will be competing for the Mega slot with a lot of other options. Unresisted STAB is nice, but many other Pokémon (and many other Megas) will hit just as hard if not harder, and retaliatory attacks will hurt it a lot. All in all I think Mega Lopunny will be an inferior option to most other Megas, and it will possibly be outperformed even by non-Mega OU staples.

As for Lopunny, I can't see it being that big, really. +100 BST isn't going to change a lot for the bunny, and it will be competing for the Mega slot with a lot of other options. Unresisted STAB is nice, but many other Pokémon (and many other Megas) will hit just as hard if not harder, and retaliatory attacks will hurt it a lot. All in all I think Mega Lopunny will be an inferior option to most other Megas, and it will possibly be outperformed even by non-Mega OU staples.
Well, we'll have more Megas for lower tiers, such as UU, so that's actually a good thing.

Salamence also has access to Double Edge and Return if the locking effect is undesirable. It's respectable special movepool makes Aerialate Hyper Voice viable as well, surprising it's usual counters.

Personally, I like Mence the most out of these 3, since it fits thematically with the Bagon dex entry. It's ultimate evolution not only has the ability to stay aloft forever, but it is proficient enough to turn it's regular attacks to the flying type. Perfect.

Salamence also has access to Double Edge and Return if the locking effect is undesirable. It's respectable special movepool makes Aerialate Hyper Voice viable as well, surprising it's usual counters.

Personally, I like Mence the most out of these 3, since it fits thematically with the Bagon dex entry. It's ultimate evolution not only has the ability to stay aloft forever, but it is proficient enough to turn it's regular attacks to the flying type. Perfect.
Except it looks like a friggin' thing you'll throw at somebody to cut 'em in half

Well, we'll have more Megas for lower tiers, such as UU, so that's actually a good thing.
I'd actually prefer it in UU strangely enough. Not having to deal with Talonflame's brave bird or mega pinsir's quick attack would be ideal.

Based on what I know from lopunny's current moveset, you got the obvious Return and HJK, but I think adding fake out to the set could help it mega evolve in the face of faster threats. From there, you could choose from a plethora of support moves like Encore, Healing Wish, Heal Bell, Baton Pass, etc. Or you could forgo fake out for ice punch if you want more SE coverage.

I'd actually prefer it in UU strangely enough. Not having to deal with Talonflame's brave bird or mega pinsir's quick attack would be ideal.

Based on what I know from lopunny's current moveset, you got the obvious Return and HJK, but I think adding fake out to the set could help it mega evolve in the face of faster threats. From there, you could choose from a plethora of support moves like Encore, Healing Wish, Heal Bell, Baton Pass, etc. Or you could forgo fake out for ice punch if you want more SE coverage.
I definitely think Return/High Jump Kick/Fake Out are the best moves to put on it. Even though I don't like HJK (the crash damage is why I didn't fear Blaziken back in Gen V).

I'm still surprised Lopunny was chosen to get a Mega Evolution.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I definitely think Return/High Jump Kick/Fake Out are the best moves to put on it. Even though I don't like HJK (the crash damage is why I didn't fear Blaziken back in Gen V).

I'm still surprised Lopunny was chosen to get a Mega Evolution.
HJK's miss rate is 5% and if you need the power since failing to KO something means you'll be dead (for Blaze or Bunny since they're pretty frail).

HJK's miss rate is 5% and if you need the power since failing to KO something means you'll be dead (for Blaze or Bunny since they're pretty frail).
A little nitpick here, High Jump Kick actually has a 10% miss rate; it's Jump Kick that only has a 5% miss rate. But yes, HJK will probably be better overall, as Lopunny will need all the power it can get even if it gets a massive attack boost.

No arguments there, I wouldn't be surprised if MLopunny becomes a glass cannon. I'm hoping for a 50+ boost in its Attack stat at least.

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
A little nitpick here, High Jump Kick actually has a 10% miss rate, its Jump Kick that only has a 5% miss rate. But yes, HJK will probably be better overall, as Lopunny will need all the power it can get even if it gets a massive attack boost.
My point still stands that if you don't use it you lose out on TEH POWAH.

Back on topic. I really like Mega Lopunny's design (and I don't even like Lopunny!). She looks like a Fighting-type and the extra details make her nice to look at (not in that way, get your head out of the gutter), unlike vanilla Lopunny who was very bland and uninteresting. A normal evolution would have probably been better for her so she wouldn't have to compete with the other MEvos, but if she's lucky her useless Special Attack will get redistributed elsewhere.

Last edited:
My point still stands that if you don't use it you lose out on TEH POWAH.

Back on topic. I really like Mega Lopunny's design (and I don't even like Lopunny!). She looks like a Fighting-type and the extra details make her nice to look at (not in that way, get your head out of the gutter), unlike vanilla Lopunny who was very bland and uninteresting. A normal evolution would have probably been better for her so she wouldn't have to compete with the other MEvos, but if she's lucky her useless Special Attack will get redistributed elsewhere.
I agree completely, except on the normal evolution part - I feel the Mega is far more suited, especially since we've only had 3 Sinnoh Megas. ... and to be honest I've hated all three of those, so Mega Lopunny's pretty much my saviour here~

I just realized: So far 40 mega evolutions are known (factoring in the Lati@s but leaving out primal Groundon and Kyogre). There are a couple more to come in ORAS and I think it's a safe bet there'll be some more in Z/X2Y2 (I'd say it's X2Y2 because of the pentagon, but that's another story). Now, if you count ALL the fully evolved pokémon introduced in Gen 6 (including Xerneas/Yveltal/Zygarde and the events) there are only 39 of them. This means that the way things are currently, the mega evolutions have already outnumbered the new fully evolved pokémon. And with more to come, it makes me think of the impact of the mega evolution restriction on team building and if a change would be desirable.

I mean, the more mega evolutions there are, the wilder will be the competition for a mega slot. As variety increases and uniqueness wears off, being able to use say, 2 megas in a team doesn't sound that absurd. True, two mega evolutions would probably be on the broken side, but that's an issue smogon could adress by banning some combos or whatever else seems fit. But putting aside the competitive part, which is a bit out of place here - but can't be ignored as an aspect of mega evolution - how do you guys feel about the fact Gen 6 is giving us more ME than fully evolved new pokémon? I wouldn't be surprised if the generation ended with like 50, perhaps even around 60 ME - which is shocking considering there are only 69 non-ME newcomers and only 39 of them have reached their most competitive stage.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)