Mega Evolutions in XY UU

Does Mega-Absol really need max speed? Cause i mean, it really needs only enough to outspeed keldeo (200 speed evs). Faster Pokemon like Latias are Sucker Punched anyway and this way it can maybe invest a bit more in special attack. Prove me wrong but i don't think you need to speed tie with Ambipom or something xD.
Lets not forget mega houndoom who is ag tbe base 115 speed tier as well and almost always runs max speed and timid nature...

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Even if you don't care about the Speed tie with Mega Houndoom Kushalos , it would still be wise to, at the very least, outpace Latias so she can get off a Defog or Substitute as Absol is forced to Sucker Punch.

Kushalos as I explained in my last post, minimal bulk investment for frail stuff is unnecessary and only serves to lose you a Speed tie against an opposing Pokemon of the same kind (Mega Absol in this case). Also Mega Absol wants to hit Latias with Play Rough as Latias can do stuff like Roost or Defog predicting the Sucker Punch meaning that it isn't immediately forced out. Also what Patrick1088 said.
No offense to anyone in particular, but can we stop discussing pointless EV spreads that take minimal EVs away from Speed and add them into HP? They serve absolutely no purpose whatsoever. Thanks.

Also Rohail can you specifically mention in Mega Aggron that you use Toxic on stall teams and TWave on offense/balance? It's a very important distinction that should definitely be made. Also add Toxic to Mega Aggron's set :o

In the case of Defog, isn't it bounced back by Magic Bounce?

I had someone use Defog against my Espeon, and it was bounced back, giving them the evasion loss and not clearing any hazards.

I had someone use Defog against my Espeon, and it was bounced back, giving them the evasion loss and not clearing any hazards.
If you use Defog against an opponent with Magic Bounce, it still removes hazards from both sides. Only difference is it lowers your own evasion and removes your own Reflect/Light Screen.

Kushalos

ÜN ÜN ÜN
is a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogon
OUPL Champion
Yeah I agree that SD really isn't all that mandatory for Mega Absol, it's pretty difficult to set up and even if you manage to nab a boost it's not all that easy to sweep with thanks to the abundance of things that can revenge kill you, like Scarf Keldeo, Scarf Hydreigon, Hawlucha, etc. Haven't really used mixed sets, but I actually think one of the better ways to use it is with sort of an offensive support set that can make use of Mega Absol's good utility and power, while not losing a ton of momentum every time it's forced out.

This is what I'd consider the best (physical) set for Mega Absol right now:

Absol @ Absolite
Ability: Justified (Magic Bounce)
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit / Swords Dance
- Play Rough / Knock Off
- Baton Pass

Sucker Punch is pretty much mandatory, as it's an excellent priority move that can revenge kill a shitton of stuff with its great power and coverage. Pursuit is a really useful tool that allows Mega Absol to trap troublesome foes like Mew and Jirachi, letting it support teammates who struggle against these Pokémon. On the other hand, you could also use SD if you want Mega Absol to take advantage of the switches itself, but like I said it's not too easy to sweep with. Play Rough vs. Knock Off is a choice between coverage and utility; Play Rough can dent stuff that resist its STABs while Knock Off cripples them by removing their item, while also giving you a more reliable STAB against slower threats. Running triple STABs might seem like a bad idea because of redundant coverage but it allows for maximum support and disruption. Baton Pass is there to scout for predicted switches, allowing it to serve somewhat as a pivot; even without SD, just dry passing for momentum can make all the difference (and occasionally you can even pass Justified boosts!)
You should name some good receivers for Absol to baton pass to.

Question, what attack does Espeon know that that aren't 90%acc, and the way defog works is both sides lose their hazards so it should work both ways.

Arkian

this is the state of grace
is a Contributor Alumnus
So Sephirona was kind enough to draw an incredibly amazing piece of art for this thread. You all can see it in the OP.

Also Rohail can you specifically mention in Mega Aggron that you use Toxic on stall teams and TWave on offense/balance? It's a very important distinction that should definitely be made. Also add Toxic to Mega Aggron's set :o
I added Toxic as a slash in the OP. People should be smart enough to know that Thunder Wave shouldn't be used on stall teams, so I'm not going to specifically mention that.

As for discussion, I feel like Mega Houndoom is currently on of the best wallbreakers in UU, if not the best. Its STABs are both very welcome in UU, and they have excellent coverage and synergy together. A Dark STAB hits all the bulky Waters, specifically Slowbro, that can take on other Fire-types in UU with ease, while a Fire STAB decimates the likes of Chesnaught and Cobalion, both of which are incredibly painful for other Dark-types like Mega Absol and Crawdaunt to deal with. With that said, I personally believe that Nasty Plot is a much better choice than Sunny Day, despite the latter giving Houndoom increased synergy against Water-types as well as a way to hit Keldeo in Solar Beam. Sunny Day only gives five turns for Mega Houndoom to wallbreak, and among those turns, Houndoom is stripped of a chunk of its HP, making it much easier to revenge kill. Nasty Plot variants don't have that problem and still possess the power to do all the wallbreaking they need to. For this reason, I'm adding Sunny Day + Solar Beam to Other Options and making Nasty Plot the only slash.

That's all for now, but do continue the discussion!

Edit: Alright Dat Blast, I'll make Sucker Punch the last slot.

Last edited:

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
You should name some good receivers for Absol to baton pass to.
Fighting-types are by far the best partners for that set. Hawlucha and Keldeo in particular have outstanding offensive synergy with Mega Absol, with Lucha being able to destroy some of Mega Absol's best checks like Chesnaught, Toxicroak, Mega Houndoom, etc. whereas Keldeo donks common physical walls like Hippo and Mega Aggron. Meanwhile, Pursuit support is absolutely fantastic for these two--Mega Absol can get rid of mons like Latias, defensive Mew, Slowbro, Cofagrigus (for Lucha), etc. and after that they can more or less steamroll through the opponent's team. The only real defensive threat that can (somewhat) manage this core is physically defensive Florges, so the Nido twins or Magnezone or something are pretty good options to deal with those--with the former two checking stuff like Mega Manectric and the latter having Volt Switch to compliment Absol's Baton Pass.

Also for Mega Houndoom's set I don't really get why Sucker Punch is listed first (or even at all, tbh). It's pretty weak coming off an uninvested base 90 Attack and most of the stuff trying to revenge kill you (Crawdaunt, Scarf Hydreigon, Scarf Mienshao, Scarf Keldeo, etc) don't really care about it anyway. Destiny Bond is the best option for that slot because it allows you to pick off something trying to kill you but you can't kill back, like Mega Blastoise or something, and in general is a lot more useful because it lets you get kills even when you can't boost or sweep. Meanwhile, if I wanted something to prevent rkilling I would use Sub > Sucker Punch, since it's much more effective at accomplishing that while also making you a lot more versatile vs. HO teams as you can smack around things with your STABs while not caring about Scarfers.

I noticed on the OU viability thread that alakazam was a b+, which was expected. However, it's mega was lower at C+, the same rank as mega aerodactyl. Do you guys think that alakazam would be used in OU, but it's mega evolution could drop to UU?

I noticed on the OU viability thread that alakazam was a b+, which was expected. However, it's mega was lower at C+, the same rank as mega aerodactyl. Do you guys think that alakazam would be used in OU, but it's mega evolution could drop to UU?
That's not feasible (even if it were possible) because you could just not mega-evolve Alakazam.

That's not feasible (even if it were possible) because you could just not mega-evolve Alakazam.
This is a good point. However, I did hear someone say awhile ago that alakazam can only be effective with a focus sash to take at least one hit, therefore making mega alakazam too frail to take any one hit from the powerful priority that plagues it. Therefore, if you didn't mega evo, you are essentially running an itemless alakazam, which is definitely UU material.

Pokemon and their mega evolution are tiered the same, unless their mega evolution is banned for the tier. Normal Charizard is OU Normal Mawile is OU. Normal Alakazam is OU, so its mega could never drop unless Alakazam drops.

Yeah I agree that SD really isn't all that mandatory for Mega Absol, it's pretty difficult to set up and even if you manage to nab a boost it's not all that easy to sweep with thanks to the abundance of things that can revenge kill you, like Scarf Keldeo, Scarf Hydreigon, Hawlucha, etc. Haven't really used mixed sets, but I actually think one of the better ways to use it is with sort of an offensive support set that can make use of Mega Absol's good utility and power, while not losing a ton of momentum every time it's forced out.

This is what I'd consider the best (physical) set for Mega Absol right now:

Absol @ Absolite
Ability: Justified (Magic Bounce)
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spd / 4 HP
Jolly Nature
- Sucker Punch
- Pursuit / Swords Dance
- Play Rough / Knock Off
- Baton Pass

Sucker Punch is pretty much mandatory, as it's an excellent priority move that can revenge kill a shitton of stuff with its great power and coverage. Pursuit is a really useful tool that allows Mega Absol to trap troublesome foes like Mew and Jirachi, letting it support teammates who struggle against these Pokémon. On the other hand, you could also use SD if you want Mega Absol to take advantage of the switches itself, but like I said it's not too easy to sweep with. Play Rough vs. Knock Off is a choice between coverage and utility; Play Rough can dent stuff that resist its STABs while Knock Off cripples them by removing their item, while also giving you a more reliable STAB against slower threats. Running triple STABs might seem like a bad idea because of redundant coverage but it allows for maximum support and disruption. Baton Pass is there to scout for predicted switches, allowing it to serve somewhat as a pivot; even without SD, just dry passing for momentum can make all the difference (and occasionally you can even pass Justified boosts!)

Im arguing full hardy that there is no need for Play Rough on Absol in this UU metagame. For reasons I have listed here.
Id like to call this into question as to what good is Play Rough for Absol in this UU metagame over Knock Off?
These two sets to come into this debate:
(Mega) Absol @ Absolite
Trait: Magic Bounce
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SAtk / 252 Spd
Naive Nature
-Swords Dance/Night slash
-Sucker Punch
-Fire Blast
-Play Rough
(Mega) Absol @ Absolite
Jolly Nature
-Knock off
-Sucker Punch
-Super Power
-Psycho Cut/Fire Blast
Im advocating for the latter set. There is not many situations where play rough can overtop the power of Knock Off with coverage. Play Rough hits fighting, dark, and dragon. The former two are hit by Psycho Cut and Superpower and the dragons in UU are very few and between that they are hit for a KO by absol's other moves:
Latias: 252 Atk Mega Absol Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Latias: 300-354 (82.4 - 97.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Hydreigon: 252 Atk Mega Absol Superpower vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hydreigon: 318-376 (97.8 - 115.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
Haxorus: 252 Atk Mega Absol Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 36 HP / 0 Def Haxorus: 193-228 (63.9 - 75.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock KOed with any follow up move
Kyurem: 252 Atk Mega Absol Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Kyurem: 318-376 (70 - 82.8%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Zygarde: 252 Atk Mega Absol Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Zygarde: 150-177 (41.8 - 49.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Mega Absol Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Zygarde: 150-177 (35.7 - 42.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Mega Absol Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Zygarde: 186-220 (44.2 - 52.3%) -- 18.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Kingdra: 252 Atk Mega Absol Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kingdra: 184-217 (63.2 - 74.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Mega Absol Knock Off vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kingdra: 124-147 (42.6 - 50.5%) -- 94.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Mega Absol Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kingdra: 228-270 (78.3 - 92.7%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Mega Absol Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kingdra: 153-180 (52.5 - 61.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Noivern: 252 Atk Mega Absol Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Noivern: 211-250 (67.8 - 80.3%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Ampharos: 252 Atk Mega Absol Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Mega Ampharos: 91-108 (23.6 - 28.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Mega Absol Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Mega Ampharos: 168-198 (43.7 - 51.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Ill admit that play rough comes in handy against Ampharos and Zygarde. But not to the extent of using it over knock off. Majority of Dragons in UU are all OHKOed or 2HKOed by Knock Off+Follow up move. And those that think they are faster than Absol with choice scarf lose it upon entry. Even if they try to revenge kill with their choice scarf, its not like play rough has its merits anyways in that scenario.
Now on to the bulky fighters who can take a Knock off.
252 Atk Mega Absol Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 55-66 (14.4 - 17.3%) -- possible 8HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Mega Absol Psycho Cut vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 108-128 (28.4 - 33.6%) -- 33.8% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Mega Absol Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 138-164 (36.3 - 43.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Mega Absol Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Chesnaught: 226-268 (59.4 - 70.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Mega Absol Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 96-114 (29.7 - 35.2%) -- 89.1% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Mega Absol Psycho Cut vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 186-220 (57.5 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Mega Absol Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 238-282 (73.6 - 87.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Mega Absol Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 6 HP / 0 Def Heracross: 111-132 (36.7 - 43.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Mega Absol Psycho Cut vs. 6 HP / 0 Def Heracross: 216-256 (71.5 - 84.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
6 SpA Mega Absol Fire Blast vs. 6 HP / 0 SpD Heracross: 188-222 (62.2 - 73.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Mega Absol Play Rough vs. 6 HP / 0 Def Heracross: 278-328 (92 - 108.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Mega Absol Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 6 HP / 0 Def Machamp: 105-125 (32.6 - 38.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Mega Absol Psycho Cut vs. 6 HP / 0 Def Machamp: 204-242 (63.3 - 75.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Mega Absol Play Rough vs. 6 HP / 0 Def Machamp: 262-310 (81.3 - 96.2%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Mega Absol Superpower vs. 6 HP / 0 Def Machamp: 175-207 (54.3 - 64.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Mega Absol Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Cobalion: 71-84 (21.9 - 25.9%) -- possible 5HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
6 SpA Mega Absol Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Cobalion: 236-278 (72.8 - 85.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Mega Absol Superpower vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Cobalion: 234-276 (72.2 - 85.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Mega Absol Play Rough vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Cobalion: 88-104 (27.1 - 32%) -- 81.6% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Mega Absol Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Virizion: 115-136 (35.4 - 41.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Mega Absol Psycho Cut vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Virizion: 224-264 (69.1 - 81.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
6 SpA Mega Absol Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Virizion: 144-170 (44.4 - 52.4%) -- 19.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Mega Absol Play Rough vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Virizion: 286-338 (88.2 - 104.3%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
-1 252 Atk Mega Absol Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hitmontop: 44-52 (14.4 - 17.1%) -- possible 9HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
-1 252 Atk Mega Absol Psycho Cut vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hitmontop: 86-102 (28.2 - 33.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
6 SpA Mega Absol Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hitmontop: 82-97 (26.9 - 31.9%) -- 96.4% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
-1 252 Atk Mega Absol Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hitmontop: 110-130 (36.1 - 42.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Mega Absol Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Scrafty: 39-46 (11.6 - 13.7%)
252 Atk Mega Absol Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Scrafty: 260-306 (77.8 - 91.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
For knock off against bulky fighters, it is superior especially with a coverage move. However Play rough comes for immediate power. But still doesnt compensate for using it over Knock Off.

Blast

Member of the Alien Nation
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Im arguing full hardy that there is no need for Play Rough on Absol in this UU metagame. For reasons I have listed here.
Id like to call this into question as to what good is Play Rough for Absol in this UU metagame over Knock Off?
These two sets to come into this debate:
(Mega) Absol @ Absolite
Naive Nature
-Swords Dance/Night slash
-Sucker Punch
-Fire Blast
-Play Rough
(Mega) Absol @ Absolite
Jolly Nature
-Knock off
-Sucker Punch
-Super Power
-Psycho Cut/Fire Blast
Im advocating for the latter set. There is not many situations where play rough can overtop the power of Knock Off with coverage. Play Rough hits fighting, dark, and dragon. The former two are hit by Psycho Cut and Superpower and the dragons in UU are very few and between that they are hit for a KO by absol's other moves:
Latias: 252 Atk Mega Absol Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Latias: 300-354 (82.4 - 97.2%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Hydreigon: 252 Atk Mega Absol Superpower vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Hydreigon: 318-376 (97.8 - 115.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
Haxorus: 252 Atk Mega Absol Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 36 HP / 0 Def Haxorus: 193-228 (63.9 - 75.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock KOed with any follow up move
Kyurem: 252 Atk Mega Absol Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Kyurem: 318-376 (70 - 82.8%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Zygarde: 252 Atk Mega Absol Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Zygarde: 150-177 (41.8 - 49.4%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Mega Absol Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Zygarde: 150-177 (35.7 - 42.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Mega Absol Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Zygarde: 186-220 (44.2 - 52.3%) -- 18.4% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
Kingdra: 252 Atk Mega Absol Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kingdra: 184-217 (63.2 - 74.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Mega Absol Knock Off vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kingdra: 124-147 (42.6 - 50.5%) -- 94.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Mega Absol Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kingdra: 228-270 (78.3 - 92.7%) -- 37.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Mega Absol Sucker Punch vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Kingdra: 153-180 (52.5 - 61.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Noivern: 252 Atk Mega Absol Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Noivern: 211-250 (67.8 - 80.3%) -- 43.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
Ampharos: 252 Atk Mega Absol Knock Off vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Mega Ampharos: 91-108 (23.6 - 28.1%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Mega Absol Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252 Def Mega Ampharos: 168-198 (43.7 - 51.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
Ill admit that play rough comes in handy against Ampharos and Zygarde. But not to the extent of using it over knock off. Majority of Dragons in UU are all OHKOed or 2HKOed by Knock Off+Follow up move. And those that think they are faster than Absol with choice scarf lose it upon entry. Even if they try to revenge kill with their choice scarf, its not like play rough has its merits anyways in that scenario.
Now on to the bulky fighters who can take a Knock off.
252 Atk Mega Absol Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 55-66 (14.4 - 17.3%) -- possible 8HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Mega Absol Psycho Cut vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 108-128 (28.4 - 33.6%) -- 33.8% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Mega Absol Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 138-164 (36.3 - 43.1%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
4 SpA Mega Absol Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 0 SpD Chesnaught: 226-268 (59.4 - 70.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Mega Absol Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 96-114 (29.7 - 35.2%) -- 89.1% chance to 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Mega Absol Psycho Cut vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 186-220 (57.5 - 68.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Mega Absol Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 0 Def Keldeo: 238-282 (73.6 - 87.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Mega Absol Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 6 HP / 0 Def Heracross: 111-132 (36.7 - 43.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Mega Absol Psycho Cut vs. 6 HP / 0 Def Heracross: 216-256 (71.5 - 84.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
6 SpA Mega Absol Fire Blast vs. 6 HP / 0 SpD Heracross: 188-222 (62.2 - 73.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Mega Absol Play Rough vs. 6 HP / 0 Def Heracross: 278-328 (92 - 108.6%) -- guaranteed OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Mega Absol Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 6 HP / 0 Def Machamp: 105-125 (32.6 - 38.8%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Mega Absol Psycho Cut vs. 6 HP / 0 Def Machamp: 204-242 (63.3 - 75.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Mega Absol Play Rough vs. 6 HP / 0 Def Machamp: 262-310 (81.3 - 96.2%) -- 18.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Mega Absol Superpower vs. 6 HP / 0 Def Machamp: 175-207 (54.3 - 64.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock
252 Atk Mega Absol Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Cobalion: 71-84 (21.9 - 25.9%) -- possible 5HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
6 SpA Mega Absol Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Cobalion: 236-278 (72.8 - 85.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Mega Absol Superpower vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Cobalion: 234-276 (72.2 - 85.1%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Mega Absol Play Rough vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Cobalion: 88-104 (27.1 - 32%) -- 81.6% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Mega Absol Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Virizion: 115-136 (35.4 - 41.9%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Mega Absol Psycho Cut vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Virizion: 224-264 (69.1 - 81.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
6 SpA Mega Absol Fire Blast vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Virizion: 144-170 (44.4 - 52.4%) -- 19.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Mega Absol Play Rough vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Virizion: 286-338 (88.2 - 104.3%) -- 68.8% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
-1 252 Atk Mega Absol Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hitmontop: 44-52 (14.4 - 17.1%) -- possible 9HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
-1 252 Atk Mega Absol Psycho Cut vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hitmontop: 86-102 (28.2 - 33.5%) -- guaranteed 4HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
6 SpA Mega Absol Fire Blast vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Hitmontop: 82-97 (26.9 - 31.9%) -- 96.4% chance to 4HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
-1 252 Atk Mega Absol Play Rough vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Hitmontop: 110-130 (36.1 - 42.7%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
252 Atk Mega Absol Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Scrafty: 39-46 (11.6 - 13.7%)
252 Atk Mega Absol Superpower vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Scrafty: 260-306 (77.8 - 91.6%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Stealth Rock and Leftovers recovery
For knock off against bulky fighters, it is superior especially with a coverage move. However Play rough comes for immediate power. But still doesnt compensate for using it over Knock Off.
There's definitely merit to Play Rough on Mega Absol. While I do agree that Superpower + Fire Blast / Psycho Cut provides more ~thorough~ coverage, the main draw to Play Rough isn't the ability to cover everything in the meta, but rather the ability to get good general coverage with a single moveslot. Play Rough's two-move coverage with Mega Absol's Dark-type moves is completely satisfactory especially when you consider it only takes up one valuable moveslot, rather than two or three (like what your set does), and you can utilize that extra room for something like Pursuit or SD or something (like what my set does). Now, don't get me wrong here--I'm not denying Knock Off is a good choice on Mega Absol because it absolutely is. But I feel its main use is on more wallbreaking-oriented sets, since as you pointed out Play Rough's coverage is rather moot on those. However, if you're strapped for moveslots but you still need something to smack Dark resists hard than Play Rough is completely viable. :)

Arkian

this is the state of grace
is a Contributor Alumnus
Now that the Latiasite has been confirmed, we can start discussing Mega Latias's potential role in UU.

I honestly think that Mega Latias will be pretty broken in UU. It has amazing 80 / 120 / 150 bulk that is further augmented by a good typing and access to reliable recovery in Roost/Recover. Base 140 Special Attack stat is also nothing to scoff at and will make Mega Latias an incredible bulky attacker in this metagame. Its Speed tier remains the same, but that is not really a bad thing since base 110 Speed is rather good in the current metagame. Even Florges is not a good check anymore since Psyshock is a clean 2HKO after Stealth Rock. Only a select few Steel-types can boast to check Mega Latias, like Mega Aggron, and most other Steel-types, like Doublade or Magnezone, fall to a Hidden Power Ground. I really can't say without actually using it, but Mega Latias will probably be a broken force in the metagame.

What do you guys think will be Mega Latias's impact on the UU metagame?

252 SpA Latias Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Florges: 190-225 (52.7 - 62.5%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
252 SpA Life Orb Latias Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 0 Def Florges: 208-246 (57.7 - 68.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Judging by this, I don't think Mega Latias will make much of a splash offensively. The added bulk is definitely fantastic and having 120 base defense will help Mega Latias tank physical attacks much more easily, allowing it to switch into a lot more attacks. Mega Latias could possibly take on a similar role to Mega Blastoise - bulky hazard remover with good defensive typing (sort of) and huge offensive presence. Latias can only Defog instead of spinning, but on the other is a lot faster and most importantly has access to a recovery move (not one, but two!).
Offensive teams would much rather use a different mega evo imo, such as Houndoom or Manectric.

Mega Latias would probably be what I'd describe as "Florges on crack". It loses the ability to run leftovers, but Roost gives it acceptable longevity throughout the match to tank those special hits. Having a bulkier Defog user isn't a bad thing (though I'd honestly question if Latias might become too bulky for the tier)

Offensive teams may find success with other megas, or even just mega Blastoise in general, but Latias provides an acceptable hazard-clearing alternative as a bulkier Blastoise that doesn't hit as hard and has lesser coverage (mostly since you're going to end up running Defog and Roost, but Blastoise has enough space to cram 3 of STAB, Aura Sphere, Dark Pulse, Dragon Pulse and Ice Beam). Latias's advantages include susceptibility to only Stealth Rock, as well as a recovery move, allowing her to stay longer far longer than Blastoise can.

On paper, Mega-Latias' bulk is impressive. The lack of passive recovery is normally seen as an issue but Mega-Venusaur has already proven that it is not always the case. I can see Mega-Latias being too bulky for UU and it doesn't take as much damage as an item holding Latias from Knock Off, but still with all the Dark and Ghost Typ moves being spammed everywhere I might be wrong.

120 SpAtk and 110 Speed isn't TOO broken for a sweeper now. Wait, what's that? It's a wall with 80/120/150 defenses? It gets a HUGE boost to the CM set, and I think it will be broken. It has offensive stats of 100/120/110(Is the Atk right?), which is only slightly lower than Salamence's(30% less Atk, 5% more SpAtk, 6.5% more Spe). On top of the defensive stats, with its great move pool, it will dominate UU. Proof:
+1 252 SpA(120 SpAtk) Mega-Latias Psyshock vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Eviolite Chansey: 246-289 (34.9 - 41%) -- 96.9% chance to 2HKO after Stealth Rock and 2 layers of Spikes

pokemonisfun

Banned deucer.
It is incredibly unlikely you will be able to get two layers of spikes and SR and a CM boost although in any case you may still lose the match up because Chansey can outspeed you after Thunder Wave and start healing to fish for full para's. It is tricky because you have no Leftovers so if you try and boost you are risking two full para's and Chansey will kill you.

That's not to say I don't think Latias Mega will be incredibly powerful but it really has better things to do than try and kill full health Chansey. When I say better things I mean use more defensive sets since that's where the Mega Evolution really gives her a boost.

On paper, Mega-Latias' bulk is impressive. The lack of passive recovery is normally seen as an issue but Mega-Venusaur has already proven that it is not always the case. I can see Mega-Latias being too bulky for UU and it doesn't take as much damage as an item holding Latias from Knock Off, but still with all the Dark and Ghost Typ moves being spammed everywhere I might be wrong.
Honestly Latias' mega form will push her to OU. She already should be in OU (A ranked, used 27 times in SPL compared to some other OU mons like Goodra's 0.) I also fell its mega form will be too strong for UU, Latias is already one of the best mons in the tier, no questions, and the mega form is a huge upgrade, so if she doesn't rise up to OU Latiasite could get banned.

EonX

Battle Soul
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
On the one hand, I'm really glad Latias got a Mega Evolution so she can rise to OU (where she should be) but on the other, I really like using her in UU. She's on practically all of my teams and I've really enjoyed using her since early BW2. She's such a great offensive tank and supporter, but OU is where she belongs and her Mega will probably give her that chance.

Tl:dr M-Latias's impact won't be huge in the UU metagame mainly due to the fact she will rise out of UU.

I have changed Mega Manectric's EV spread to 24 HP / 252 SpA / 232 Spe. Thanks! Also, has anyone tested a SubSeed Mega Abomasnow in UU? I have been meaning to do so, since it seems kinda effective, but haven't gotten around to it due to irl stuff.
I would like to recommend a SubSeed set. This work wonders against stall, hitting most common walls hard and tearing Chansey to pieces, along with Snorlax, and other high HP Pokemon that are weak/neutral to Fighting or hit neutrally/super-effectively to Ice.

Mega-Abomasnow @Abomasnowite
Ability: Soundproof/Snow Warning --> Snow Warning
EVs: 252 SpAtk/ 208 Atk/ 48 HP
IVs: 0 Speed
Quiet Nature
- Substitute
- Leech Seed
- Focus Punch
- Blizzard
You can Blizzard spam or Substitute to ease prediction. SubSeed shouldn't need explanation. Generally, if you are slow, you want to be as slow as possible. This EV spread may seem weird, but it is to guarantee the 2HKO against Cobalion.

208 Atk Mega Abomasnow Focus Punch vs. 252 HP / 252+ Def Cobalion: 192-228 (49.7 - 59%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after hail damage and Leftovers recovery

If you are running Kyurem with this(or other Pokemon who appreciate Cobalion's removal), it appreciates the weakening. These EVs ensure Cobalion can only safely come in on it once, break the sub, and die to the next Focus Punch the next time it switches in. Soundproof allows switch in opportunities, like Boomburst/Perish Song/other things that break through Subs, but generally Snow Warning is the better choice.
TheTraininator I tried to use offensive Mega Banette myself in the past, and I absolutely hated it. It had horrible Speed, poor bulk, and a bad movepool. Furthermore, Phantom Force can easily be played around, so I didn't really like the use of that either. Mega Banette's only niche is a support set, and nothing else. I'll add Phantom Force to Other Options though, but I'm not giving it a set for itself unless more people vouch for it.

Kingpoleon That Mega Abomasnow set looks really interesting. I, for one, would not use Focus Punch for the mere advantage of hitting Cobalion (I guess you also hit other Steel-types, but Earthquake is a much better choice for that). I'll keep SubSeed in Other Options for now, but I will add SubPunch to it as well.

Kingler12345 Yeah, I rushed into adding that to the OP. I'll change it back immediately, thanks!

Also, this thread isn't just for submitting movesets guys, it's for discussing everything about Mega Pokemon. From their checks and counters to theorymonning which Mega could drop/move up and how it will affect UU. That's all for now, but keep the discussion coming!
Sorry to go back to the second page, but I am going to point out something: Fighting+Ice coverage is really good. SubPunch and Leech Seed is really good, and with Blizzard and Focus Punch having 165 BP and 150 BP respectively, it hits HARD. The only common wall that doesn't mind taking a Focus Punch or Blizzard or Leech Seed(TOO MUCH)is Florges, not to mention offensive teams hate the hard-hitting moves this Pokemon can fire out, and with correct prediction, this defeats Cobalion, Chansey, Empoleon, Chesnaught, Snorlax, to all of whom it does 60%+. It 1HKOs most top offensive threats, including Hawlucha and Mega-Houndoom. Even Suicune loses to this, with Leech Seed up, Focus Punch 2HKOs it after Hail damage and SR+1 Spike. Suicune does:
+3 4 SpA Suicune Scald vs. 52 HP / 0 SpD Mega Abomasnow: 95-112 (28.4 - 33.5%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Stealth Rock
Pathetic. This is an amazing set to use, and needs to be tried out more. While I have only played ~25 games with SubSeed Abomasnow, this is really easy to use. It should be recommended for new players trying to use a powerful Ice type that destroys teams if it gets to set-up on a water type besides Crocune, or a Ground type such as Zygarde. Thanks to its powerful moves, this WILL beat you if you let it set-up Substitute and Leech Seed.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)