Mega Flygon Excluded from XY/ORAS Because of Artist’s Block

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
is a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
check the Pokedex friend

I'm against the idea of them opening up to fan designs. I'm actually glad they didn't go ahead with the Mega Flygon concept as it shows they aren't about rushing something that isn't ready, they take great pride in getting the designs right, and that a lot of effort goes into designing each one (yes, even ones like Garbodor and Vannilux!!). I'm actually really interested to know if there were any other Megas that were scrapped for whatever reason, since I think it's safe to assume that Flygon wasn't the only one held back, it was just the only one mentioned in that interview...
I meant for Mega Pokemon that Flygon would have had been the only Ground/Flying, unless Gliscor and Landorus got a Mega Evolution I didn't know about. How did I confuse Flygon for being a Ground/Flying? Anyway my point still stands, no other ORAS Mega Evolution is a Ground/Dragon (we do have Mega Garchomp, but he was introduced in XY) while Milotic being pure Water has it overshadowed (type-wise) by the other Water-types which had an additional type (then again they'd probably would have made it Water/Dragon, just to rub it in to the Gyarados fans). Then again, considering Milotic's design is also quite simple, maybe they had a Milotic also planned but scrapped it due to not being able to come up with a design for it either (seems to be a theme of Gen VI for the creators to be going through some artist's block).

Yeah, I also wonder what other Mega Evolutions were scrapped. They did say they picked Pokemon based on popularity and design (at least for XY), yet plenty of popular Pokemon didn't get picked. There's also a pretty big imbalance in terms of what generation got Mega Pokemon:

Gen #: XY/ORAS/Total
Gen 1: 10/3/13
Gen 2: 5/1/6
Gen 3: 8/12*/20
Gen 4: 4/2/6
Gen 5: 0/1/1
Gen 6: 0**/1/1

* Being ORAS is based in Hoenn it was kind of obvious there was going to get a lot of Gen III Pokemon getting Mega Evolutions, explaining the inbalance at least here. Of course XY still had the second most Mega Evolutions by quite a bit.
** Gen 6 Pokemon were purposely not given Mega Evolutions to allow older Pokemon to have a chance in the spotlight.

You'd think they would have worked it so that either each gen had an equal amount of Mega Evolutions of the number of Pokemon released in that Gen would decide how many got a Mega Evolution. But as it stands Gen V, the gen that had the most Pokemon released, got none in XY and only 1 in ORAS. I'd also argue that Gen II is the most popular of the gens yet they only got 5 while Gen III got more Mega Evolutions. If you ask me there does seem to be some missing Pokemon, possibly ones scrapped because they couldn't think up a good design?

Last edited:
I do find it very interesting that a company such as Game Freak is this rushed and hard-pressed for ideas; at the same time though it isn't very surprising - there's a new main Pokémon game literally every 12-18 months; never mind all the spin-offs that come with it and I guess smash every once in a while. This interview to me just solidifies the idea that Game Freak needs to calm tf down with the releases and put quality before quantity.
Though, on the note of fan-submitted ideas... I think that could be very interesting. I remember back in 2002-2006 or something like that, one of Lego's lines Bionicle which I was very into had a lot of fan-submitted creations used and canonized, and I mean a lot. Local wildlife, the bulk of an international bounty hunter syndicate, a ton of weapons, the designs for a lot of important characters... it worked out extremely well for them and that level of fan interaction was I felt honestly one of the big strengths for Bionicle at the time. That said, I'm not entirely sure how well it'd translate to Pokémon considering Lego is based around the consumer's creativity and the fact that Pokémon is far, far more popular than Bionicle ever was or will be, but I think some kind of fan interaction of this kind would be a welcome addition.
... I just completely derailed the thread. Whoooops.

I actually really respect that this is the reason they didn't give Flygon a Mega Evolution; sure, it's disappointing, but think about what would have happened if GF had rushed it and gone with a half-baked design just to satisfy the "FLYGON MUST HAVE A MEGA" group of fans (which I, I'll admit, am a part of). Flygon would have been stuck with that Mega pretty much forever, with no hope of getting a better design.

Instead, GF wisely held off on it; if anything, this news gives me even more hope that we'll see Mega Flygon in Z/X2/Y2/Gen 7.

Codraroll

Cod Mod
is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Top Smogon Media Contributor
Flygon would have been stuck with that Mega pretty much forever, with no hope of getting a better design.
That's the magic of Mega Evolutions, though. Holding a Mega Stone - and Mega Evolving - is considered an option for a Pokémon, rather than being the "end of the line" as a normal evolution chain implies. A Pokémon may only evolve once, into a design it's permanently stuck with, but Mega Evolution is both optional and temporary. No matter what kind of a Mega Evolution Flygon would get, we'd still have regular Flygon as the end of Trapinch's evolution line, and Flygon's existing design would be on display in every occasion other than in certain battles under certain conditions.

Moreover, Game Freak has already made presedence for giving one Pokémon multiple Mega Evolutions. Both Charizard and Mewtwo have two Mega Stones, which will temporarily turn them into different creatures. There is literally no reason why Game Freak shouldn't give this option to more Pokémon. If they made a Mega Flygon they were not happy with, they could simply add another Flygonite.

As for the last bit... Well, I'm unsure if new Megas could be made for this generation. I've got a sneaking suspicion that creature design for the entirety of Gen. VI was done during XY's development, and that Game Freak have already finalized their pool of Mega Evolutions. If they were unable to make Flygon before ORAS, they might not have been able to make it for Gen. VI at all. Then again, I could be wrong, and they could have sat down and made one after the responses they got after ORAS' release.

At any rate, it's pretty certain that the next games, whenever they come, will contain more Mega Evolutions. Game Freak are probably hiding some fan favourites "up their sleeves" to satiate our desires to see old fan favourites brought into the limelight. Even if Flygon is not among them for the time being, I bet we'll enjoy what's coming anyway.

Hulavuta

keeps the varmints on the run
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
I don't know if anyone can buy the idea that they just couldn't come up with a design, considering a lot of megas have pretty uninspired designs. They have some pretty common trends in their mega designs that they could've used here, like changing the wings up a bit, adding a whole bunch of spikes, stretching out the mouth, messing with the antennae, changing up the color scheme, etc. It would not be that difficult, although I can't think of a better reason why they didn't.

What if they look at Megas on a statistical level first before designing them? Maybe they couldn't agree on a battle style. Maybe they couldn't agree on a stat spread. Maybe they couldn't think up a good ability. Maybe they couldn't think up any new moves to give it that it could put to good use as a MEvoed Pokemon. Maybe they couldn't agree on a type change.

There could be a number of things in their creative process that stopped them from agreeing on a design. The same would go for any other Megas that they were workshopping, but didn't figure out.

As far as being Aarune's partner Pokemon goes, Secret Bases existed in the Sinnoh region too, so they've got the length of time between now and the gen4 remakes to figure out Mega Flygon.

What if they look at Megas on a statistical level first before designing them? Maybe they couldn't agree on a battle style. Maybe they couldn't agree on a stat spread. Maybe they couldn't think up a good ability. Maybe they couldn't think up any new moves to give it that it could put to good use as a MEvoed Pokemon. Maybe they couldn't agree on a type change.

There could be a number of things in their creative process that stopped them from agreeing on a design. The same would go for any other Megas that they were workshopping, but didn't figure out.

As far as being Aarune's partner Pokemon goes, Secret Bases existed in the Sinnoh region too, so they've got the length of time between now and the gen4 remakes to figure out Mega Flygon.
Would they still use Aarune though? Hoenn's edge for Secret Bases had to do with the exploration and dotting them all over the region. In Sinnoh, they felt much more separate because they were all in the Underground, which in itself was kind of a side activity akin to Gen 5's Dream World.

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
I do find it very interesting that a company such as Game Freak is this rushed and hard-pressed for ideas; at the same time though it isn't very surprising - there's a new main Pokémon game literally every 12-18 months; never mind all the spin-offs that come with it and I guess smash every once in a while. This interview to me just solidifies the idea that Game Freak needs to calm tf down with the releases and put quality before quantity.
Though, on the note of fan-submitted ideas... I think that could be very interesting. I remember back in 2002-2006 or something like that, one of Lego's lines Bionicle which I was very into had a lot of fan-submitted creations used and canonized, and I mean a lot. Local wildlife, the bulk of an international bounty hunter syndicate, a ton of weapons, the designs for a lot of important characters... it worked out extremely well for them and that level of fan interaction was I felt honestly one of the big strengths for Bionicle at the time. That said, I'm not entirely sure how well it'd translate to Pokémon considering Lego is based around the consumer's creativity and the fact that Pokémon is far, far more popular than Bionicle ever was or will be, but I think some kind of fan interaction of this kind would be a welcome addition.
... I just completely derailed the thread. Whoooops.
Also Gen VI is also the generation that GameFreak jumped to the third dimension. Everything (aside from menu sprites) had to be given a model which would take up a lot of time. "But the team who came up with Pokemon designs have nothing to do with the 3D modeling." The 3d modellers would need to know a Pokemon's proportions so I imagine the designers spent a bit of time on that. And that's not mentioning designing characters and environments (I assume its all one big design team, like they may have people who specialize in certain areas but I would think for the most part they would work on all parts of design in the game).

But that was Bionicle in its early days. As I said, with all the fanmade Pokemon stuff out there the possibility of someone stealing someone else's idea is possible and could be difficult to verify. Even if they say you won't get anything for your design being selected they would probably still require they have all rights to the image and if this is done without the original image creator's content it would cause some problems. While I'm not saying GameFreak can't take design inspiration from other's work, they can't really pick one and make it into a Pokemon or lift aspects right off multiple people's work and cobble it together.

That's the magic of Mega Evolutions, though. Holding a Mega Stone - and Mega Evolving - is considered an option for a Pokémon, rather than being the "end of the line" as a normal evolution chain implies. A Pokémon may only evolve once, into a design it's permanently stuck with, but Mega Evolution is both optional and temporary. No matter what kind of a Mega Evolution Flygon would get, we'd still have regular Flygon as the end of Trapinch's evolution line, and Flygon's existing design would be on display in every occasion other than in certain battles under certain conditions.

Moreover, Game Freak has already made presedence for giving one Pokémon multiple Mega Evolutions. Both Charizard and Mewtwo have two Mega Stones, which will temporarily turn them into different creatures. There is literally no reason why Game Freak shouldn't give this option to more Pokémon. If they made a Mega Flygon they were not happy with, they could simply add another Flygonite.

As for the last bit... Well, I'm unsure if new Megas could be made for this generation. I've got a sneaking suspicion that creature design for the entirety of Gen. VI was done during XY's development, and that Game Freak have already finalized their pool of Mega Evolutions. If they were unable to make Flygon before ORAS, they might not have been able to make it for Gen. VI at all. Then again, I could be wrong, and they could have sat down and made one after the responses they got after ORAS' release.

At any rate, it's pretty certain that the next games, whenever they come, will contain more Mega Evolutions. Game Freak are probably hiding some fan favourites "up their sleeves" to satiate our desires to see old fan favourites brought into the limelight. Even if Flygon is not among them for the time being, I bet we'll enjoy what's coming anyway.
I'd even argue if they were able to remove anything about a Pokemon, it would be a Mega Evolution. They don't like something about a Mega Evolution and have an idea for a better one? I don't see why next gen they can't change/replace it. Sure, they could make it an additional Mega Evolution and probably should if it plays differently from the current Mega Evolution; but if they want to make a better version of the current Mega Evolution I don't see why they couldn't replace it.

And I think by now they would probably have prototype ideas/designs for all Pokemon who would be capable of Mega Evolving (or at least close to all the Pokemon), all they need to do is just pick the ones they feel like they want to work on and finish it (or come up with a completely different Mega Evo they had thought of if they get a flash of inspiration). And I'm sure they have some fan favorites close to or already done but held back upon, just like they hold back certain kinds of animals or things that can be made into Pokemon (it took them 6 gens to make a T-Rex Pokemon, and we still don't have a dolphin Pokemon). We might have to wait till next gen for Mega Flygon though if they're having a hard time coming up with a design, unless they have already gotten over that hurdle after the release of ORAS (sort of like after completing a test you finally remember the answer to that question you know you should know but can't remember).

I don't know if anyone can buy the idea that they just couldn't come up with a design, considering a lot of megas have pretty uninspired designs. They have some pretty common trends in their mega designs that they could've used here, like changing the wings up a bit, adding a whole bunch of spikes, stretching out the mouth, messing with the antennae, changing up the color scheme, etc. It would not be that difficult, although I can't think of a better reason why they didn't.
While there are Pokemon who are pretty much just an advance looking version of their normal form, to me it looks like at least for the ORAS Mega Evos they wanted to try something different by focusing on a certain theme for that Pokemon.

For Beedrill it's its needles (its legs turned into needles, the needles it already had got longer and more pronounced, its body was shaped in the way that the needles were right in front and prominent)
Slowbro it's its Shellder partner (the Shellder had completely covered its body creating a sort of armor)
Sableye it's it jewel (it had popped out and grew to become a shield for Sableye to hide behind)
Salamence it wanting to fly (its shape changed to look a bit more like a glider)
The Eon Duo its them looking like jet planes (their arms turning into turbine/rocket-looking attachments and getting spoiler like appendages on their underside)
Lopunny they made into a martial arts fighter (ears turning into nun-chucks and its legs looking like ripped tights)
Gallade turned from a gladiator into a heroic knight (its body becomes more white and it gains a cape, its blade arms look even more like blades)
Audino it's it medic aspects (it gains a stethoscope crest and its fur now looks like a doctor's coat)
Diancie it's it being a queen (its body changes to a full dress including a veil)

Considering how popular Flygon is I think they wanted to do something special with it besides making it Flygon+. But they couldn't figure out what they could focus on with it.

Would they still use Aarune though? Hoenn's edge for Secret Bases had to do with the exploration and dotting them all over the region. In Sinnoh, they felt much more separate because they were all in the Underground, which in itself was kind of a side activity akin to Gen 5's Dream World.
Flygon can learn Dig. If they want to use Aarune as the mascot for the Secret Bases I don't see why they can't bring him back. Like he came to Sinnoh to spread the idea for Super Secret Bases, discovered there really wasn't much places for them but then discovered the Sinnoh Underground and thought that would be the perfect place to set up Secret Bases. He could work with the Underground Man (who I just found out was Byron's father and Roark's grandfather) and be the one to give the player the Digger Drill.

Flygon can learn Dig. If they want to use Aarune as the mascot for the Secret Bases I don't see why they can't bring him back. Like he came to Sinnoh to spread the idea for Super Secret Bases, discovered there really wasn't much places for them but then discovered the Sinnoh Underground and thought that would be the perfect place to set up Secret Bases. He could work with the Underground Man (who I just found out was Byron's father and Roark's grandfather) and be the one to give the player the Digger Drill.
I imagined something like this when I wrote my previous reply. It's totally possible to integrate the Underground more than they did in DPPt, especially now that connecting with people and storing/managing Secret Base data has been made more accessible, and gamify the experience even more.

Plus, just imagine how satisfying it'll be to play through the boring-ass Sinnoh region and have Aarune pop up and be all, "I've been there, done that! I spread excitement and adventure on my toast in the morning! And in this region, I've discovered that Super Secret Bases exist on a totally different level than they do in Hoenn! My Flygon and I grew to a whole new level since coming here too! Let's fight!!"
~Mega Flygon first sighting~

Well, I don't know about anyone else but I was/am still expecting that WHEN Flygon gets a MEvo (it's happening, I know it is!!!) it'll be given the Bug/Dragon type - it's Egg group is bug and 2/3 of it's evo stages are buglike.
Perhaps Gamefreak wanted to introduce an ACTUAL Bug/Dragon into the franchise first before allowing this typing via MEvolving? Who can second guess the thoughts of the developers in cases like this?

Also, what aspects of Flygon do you bring out in a Mevo?

Looking at the design it has the prominent twin head spikes, but giving it a "mane" of spikes has been done already, plus Ampharos got an actual mane. They were originally feeler type things as a Vibrava so perhaps these could be made to seem more insect-like again?

The goggle eyes? They're already pretty distinctive so unless you made them multi-faceted there's not an awful lot do apart from play around with the shape of them or the relative size which could lose the "feel" of it's original design too much.

It's wings? I always thought it was weird that it lost a pair of wings when it evolves from a Vibrava, so you could always give it the wings back and play up the Bug-like origin.

It has a nice fan like tail with 3 wing-like sails at the end. You could give the tail a helicopter like theme for a different type of locomotion or you could enlarge the fan like aspect to keep the theme of it causing sandstorms in it's wake.

Maybe the designers just couldn't find a design that they felt strongly enough. But I have faith guys, one day it WILL happen and it will SHIT all over Garchomp!

Pikachu315111

Ranting & Raving!
Well, I don't know about anyone else but I was/am still expecting that WHEN Flygon gets a MEvo (it's happening, I know it is!!!) it'll be given the Bug/Dragon type - it's Egg group is bug and 2/3 of it's evo stages are buglike.
Perhaps Gamefreak wanted to introduce an ACTUAL Bug/Dragon into the franchise first before allowing this typing via MEvolving? Who can second guess the thoughts of the developers in cases like this?

Looking at the design it has the prominent twin head spikes, but giving it a "mane" of spikes has been done already, plus Ampharos got an actual mane. They were originally feeler type things as a Vibrava so perhaps these could be made to seem more insect-like again?

The goggle eyes? They're already pretty distinctive so unless you made them multi-faceted there's not an awful lot do apart from play around with the shape of them or the relative size which could lose the "feel" of it's original design too much.

It's wings? I always thought it was weird that it lost a pair of wings when it evolves from a Vibrava, so you could always give it the wings back and play up the Bug-like origin.

It has a nice fan like tail with 3 wing-like sails at the end. You could give the tail a helicopter like theme for a different type of locomotion or you could enlarge the fan like aspect to keep the theme of it causing sandstorms in it's wake.

Maybe the designers just couldn't find a design that they felt strongly enough. But I have faith guys, one day it WILL happen and it will SHIT all over Garchomp!
That's what I think and I do think what they meant when they said they couldn't think up a good "design". Yes, design could also mean its stats, typing, and Ability but as I generally mentioned and Skore here just went into detail, Flygon has a simple design which doesn't leave much for them to expand upon besides possibly making it look like a Flygon+ which I don't think they wanted to do. I think they do want to do something special with Mega Flygon so that's why they just didn't push forward a design.

And now I'm mildly (about a 3) pissed off at GameFreak. Sure artist's block is a thing, but really? Flygon needs a mega ffs, and this just isn't doing them any favours. Well at least this somewhat "confirms" Mega Flygon for the next game plz?

And now I'm mildly (about a 3) pissed off at GameFreak. Sure artist's block is a thing, but really? Flygon needs a mega ffs, and this just isn't doing them any favours. Well at least this somewhat "confirms" Mega Flygon for the next game plz?
I don't quite follow this logic. You're annoyed that they're taking their time to come up with something good and fitting rather than just hastily rushing it?

Arcticblast

Trans rights are human rights
is a Forum Moderatoris a Tiering Contributoris a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Senior Staff Member Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Champion
you say this as if Mega Pidgeot would have existed without Twitch Plays Pokemon rocketing Bird Jesus to stardom

I guess this explains Beedrill though

Flygon's design is derived heavily from the Antlion, so besides the second set of wings, maybe it could gain some type of more grounded design for pits. I almost wonder about the prospect of maybe giving it a typing like Bug/Ground if not Bug/Dragon and Arena Trap. I know the Sand Pit type of idea is based more on the Larva, but it'd be kind of neat.

I don't think lacking a "regular" Pokemon with Bug/Dragon typing, since Mega Altaria is the first way to get Dragon/Fairy typing. My guess more likely is that "unable to complete a design" might in part also be because they didn't fully decide on how to "stat" it. You'd want the design to at least in some respect reflect the way the Mega Evolution functions: Salamence looks much more Aerodynamic and sturdy, Altaria's fluffy design looks more whimsical and resilient, Diancie's body looks like a Chandelier to reflect it being more frail but fast and elegant. A Ground/Dragon Flygon with a trapping idea would ideally have a different design than a powerful airborn Bug/Dragon one.

Of course, he could always have Strong Jaw.

There are several routes that could be taken in giving Flygon a Mega-Evo. One way would be to capitalize on the attack stat, boosting it and giving Flygon an ability to compliment, like the go-to Tough Claws. On the other hand, a SPECIAL Flygon could seriously wreck house if it was given proper boosts. Not only does it get access to one of the most powerful moves in the game with no penalty, Boomburst, it has very powerful coverage in Earth Power, Bug Buzz, and Dragon Pulse/ Draco Meteor. There is also a chance to use a highly underated ability: Tinted Lens. Imagine OHKOing a Skarmory with a Boomburst or a Draco Meteor! As for typing, I feel that if they go the physical route, the typing should remain Ground/Dragon, simply because of EQ getting STAB, but the special variant would benefit more from Bug type than Ground. (Bar Brave Bird... Blagh.) Overall, it just depends on what Game Freak decides to do with it.

Oh, and as for design... Just give it hair or something. It worked for Ampharos. (Jokes aside, I'm sure it will turn out amazingly)

Last edited by a moderator:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)