ORAS Doubles OU Mega Gardevoir Offense

ryo yamada2001

ryo yamada2001
is a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hi, it's Elise here and I'm announcing me quitting playing Pokemon for this gen at least. I know it won't take long for S/M to drop but I'm not sure if I will be around for that so yea.

I'd like to start with talking about why I'm quitting first before I drop the team, because I heard there were some misconceptions about why I'm quitting. It's not out of frustration, despite it possibly looking like that. I just want to reallocate my time better and spend it on studying, fitnessing, footballing, and just listening to music rather than hopefully do well at one of the seasonals. Even though my initial goal was SPL, I don't think I want to put in the time necessary to get to that level.

Motivation came in huge waves for me. The one day I was extremely hyped to play Seasonals, and the other day I could just not be bothered to even look on Smogon. qsns wanted me to sign up badly so I did it for him, even though I initally wanted to just help my friends. It's okay though, as I have dropped out now and maybe will help out my friends with supplying them old teams and possibly identifying weaknesses in one's building if I get the time.

I have built approximately a 100 teams prior to seasonals, as I wanted to help out my friends with dank ass teams and I think I've got a bunch of good teams. I originally wanted to do a teamdump and I asked kamikaze17 but he and a lot of other people said it would be better to just post an RMT thread, so here I am dropping my favourite team in testing.

Bye
Teambuilding Process

I honestly just wanted to build around Gardevoir as I consider it as a quite fun and unique Pokemon which can fit on basically any playstyle you want it to. It also looks extremely cute and basically fixes any aesthatic problem you might have with your team.

I decided I wanted something different than Semiroom which a lot of people are playing right now with Mega Gardevoir. I already had a bunch of Garderoom so I decided to mix it up and see if it works on Tailwind. Suicune is bulky and is probably one of the most reliable Tailwind setters which made me put it on the team.

Heatran fixes some other issues with the team, mostly with being unable to hit Steels which is a struggle for Gardevoir/Suicune. Also Substitute is a fantastic win-condition, especially when you manage to get Tailwind up as well.

I tend to slap a lot of Conkeldurr on my teams but I thought Wide Guard would be a great niche, as well as having priority and making sure I have another Kang check.

Scarf Kyurem-Black was a more solid check to Landorus-Therian and that's all there really was to it. Kyurem-Black has really nice coverage and stellar SpA, and having Choice Scarf is quite nice.

I wanted to have Intimidate on the team and basically all other Intimidate users wouldn't fit on the team. I didn't want to use dual Scarf on one team as that often times puts you in a worse position when the opponent outpredicts you, so I went for Expert Belt and Substitute.

Team In-Depth
madoka (Gardevoir-Mega) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Pixilate
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- Taunt
- Protect

Again, Gardevoir is just an extremely fun Pokemon to mess around with considering it fits on so many kinds of builds. It can force the opponent in so many tough positions and especially paired with speed control Gardevoir becomes difficult and a monster to take down. I decided to go with Taunt as I wasn't entirely sure how well I was able to handle matchups versus certain Trick Room teams, and the extra utility is always nice. I didn't feel like Hidden Power Ground would be useful as I already had Kyurem-Black and Landorus-Therian, and Focus Blast seemed a bit excessive as well considering I had Conkeldurr (and Landorus-Therian to check Kangaskhan already with Intimidate).

Playing with Gardevoir is lovely and obviously your goal of the game with it is to get into a position in which you can clean up the opponents team and I feel like the team is perfectly built around that.

The EV spread is supposed to live an Aegislash Flash Cannon (and Shadow Ball) but it might not be entirely correct or the most efficient spread.

The nickname is from Madoka Magica, a straight 10/10 anime and I recommend everyone to watch it (Matame watch it you silly dong)

Suicune @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 144 SpA / 40 SpD / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Tailwind
- Roar

Suicune fit quite well on my team in my opinion. I wanted to have a Tailwind user and I didn't want to use Zapdos or anything like that. Suicune also checks Heatran which is nice and can use Roar to throw out pesky Azumarillls. I struggle a lot with Azumarill personally and it's quite annoying to deal with but Suicune is a great check to it with Roar specifically. Scald and Ice Beam are just the standard moves.

I don't know exactly what the EV spread does but it might be a Checkmater spread considering I used Safety Goggles. I chose for the Goggles considering I didn't have any other Grass-type or Sleep soaker on my team.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

I chose for Heatran as a more sufficient Sun check while also being a Steel-check (as you can see I have heavily prepared for Steels on this team which Gardevoir struggles with). I went for the standard set considering I didn't see any reason to run something different. Heat Wave and Earth Power is a very cool combination of moves. Substitute is basically an amazing win-con every game and makes Heatran such a difficult Pokemon to play around.

I chose for Leftovers because I felt like Shuca Berry Substitute doesn't really mesh well and Leftovers gives more general durability as Heatran tends to be on the field for quite a long time.

The EV spread is just 252/252 with a positive Speed nature, I'm not entirely sure what people run nowadays but I think it's 252/252 and some people running Modest and the others Timid. In this case you'll always win the matchup versus Modest Heatrans and tie versus Timid Heatrans.

Conkeldurr @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Wide Guard
- Knock Off

I used to criticize Conkeldurr quite heavily but after seeing what kind of damage it packs I wanted to test it out as well. I'm not entirely keen on it though considering I'm running a Drain Punch set (I felt like Hammer Arm + Tailwind was quite counterproductive) and it's not dealing as much damage as I want it to in some cases. I really appreciate the priority with Mach Punch though, being able to beat stuff like Kangaskhan and Heatran. Knock Off is also a very nice move to have to beat up silly things that rely on their items. I also wanted to use Conkeldurr due to the utility that Wide Guard gives, making sure Gardevoir and Heatran don't struggle as much versus Landorus-Therian.

I think Life Orb with this EV spread is standard. I went with an Adamant Nature over a Brave one considering I also think a negative speed nature + Tailwind is counterproductive. Iron Fist is the best ability in this case as you mainly have punch attacks and Guts Flame Orb reduces a lot of durability (which is one of Conkeldurr's selling points).

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Draco Meteor
- Fusion Bolt

One of my favourite Kyurem-Black sets and I even think it is better than Kyurem-Black's Substitute set right now as you don't struggle as much vs Gardevoir with this set.

The set is quite straightforward, as Ice Beam beats Landorus-Therian and other Ground-types. Earth Power gets rid of Steel-types which Gardevoir normally struggles against as well. Fusion Bolt (even with a Timid nature and 0 Atk EVs) gets the OHKO on Talonflame and bugs the hell out of Water-types while Draco Meteor is just a straight up nuke that destroys basically anything that doesn't resist it.

Landorus-Therian @ Expert Belt
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 232 HP / 24 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Substitute
- Earth Power
- Stone Edge
- Protect

I don't know what to think exactly of this set or this choice as a whole. I don't feel like it adds too much to my team other than Intimidate. It's quite unreliable in getting Substitute up or getting into a position to straight up win. It struggles to pivot a little bit more due to the fact you don't have fast U-Turns anymore but in return you get Substitute I guess.

I went for Expert Belt because Life Orb + Substitute is sort of counterproductive and I still wanted the damage when it counts. Earth Power gets rid of all the Steel-types that would normally bug Gardevoir and doesn't deal damage to your teammates (I lack Ground resists rip) while Stone Edge gets rid of Fire-types.

I'm not sure what the EV spread does anymore, I'd appreciate if someone could find a better spread for me. ♥

Matchups
I feel like you can play every matchup quite well.

Shoutouts
Hashtag: I did this entire shoutout list alphabetically but you have been so amazing I have nearly no words for it. You've been so friendly since day one even when I was in a bad mood and you were always around to cheer me up and be silly. You cheer me up even if you're just joining the Doubles room and your humor is great and you're a funny person. I will get a new PC + better internet soon so hopefully we will be able play Overwatch and League together :DD

Alexander. : I am in fact not gay. I don't know why you've started talking to me on that one random day on smogtours but I'm happy you did, because you're a cool dude and fun to chat with. I wish you a lot of luck in Smogon Classic and any other future tours you play. Also I'm rooting for Italy this Euro and I hope I'll go to Italy this or maybe next year :D

BlueSkiddoWeCanToo: You're a very friendly guy and a nice goofster. I'm hoping for you you'll win a seasonal one day because I believe in you.
ZHU - In the Morning
Flume - Never Be Like You (feat. Kai)
Charlie Puth - We Don't Talk Anymore
ZAYN - iT's YoU
Devault & StéLouse - All I Need
Wizard - Too Fast
Ship Wrek & Zookeepers - Stranded
MRVLZ - Colors Of Your Heart
Justin Bieber - I'll Show You
Jay Rock - Vice City feat. Black Hippy
Duke Dumont - Ocean Drive
Milky Chance - Stolen Dance
The Chainsmokers - Inside Out
Cruel Youth - Mr. Watson
The Chainsmokers - Inside Out (Módl Remix)
The Chainsmokers - Inside Out (ARMNHMR Remix)
Devault - Closer
Adele - Send My Love
matbow - Don't Leave Me
Gareth Emery ft. Janet Devlin - Lost (William Black Remix)
DM Galaxy - Paralyzed
ZOË - Loin d'Ici
Cruel Youth - Mr. Watson (BKAYE Remix)
Elle King - Ex's and Oh's
RÜFÜS DU SOL - Innerbloom (What So Not Remix)
ZOË - Moin coeur a trop aime
Jordan Comolli - Grind
Bronze Whale - Love To Feel ft. Khai (Laetho Remix)
The Chainsmokers - Don't Let Me Down (Illenium Remix) < this is the literal best trap ever made
Illenium - It's All On U
Hotel Garuda - Smoke Signals (Alizzz Remix)
Arman Cekin & Veorra - You Don't Know Me
Deorro - Yee
DJ Snake, AlunaGeorge - You Know You Like It
Veorra - Secrets
Veorra - Color
Axel Thesleff - Bad Karma
Ship Wrek & Veorra - Feelin Good
Veorra & Levianth - Fly
Take/Five - Midnight (VIP)
Take/Five - Requiem
Take/Five - Nothing Like This
Ember Island - Need You (Not Your Dope x Jakoban Remix)
San Holo & The Nicholas - They Just Haven't Seen It
Twenty One Pilots - Stressed Out (Tomsize Remix)
Flie - Meet You There
Rain Man - Bring Back The Summer

that's like 1% of my playlist, if u want ill just link u to my youtube channel if u ask for it so u can see my playlist o_o

checkmater75: Your meta opinions are refreshing and always interesting to read. I always love it when you perform well during a tournament because I know you are really good and I love it when you show that off.

Laga: Dude, i'm a little sad you've quit but I'm also so happy you've tutored me. I hope you're doing well with musicals or whatever you're doing in life now. You have a fucking amazing voice o_o

Leru: Sppoky friend. Hope you'll win something at some point but please stop using lando thund on every team. I'd insert a Lauren Verster or Geraldine Kemper gif here but I'm not sure if you like them

Level 51: Sorry for being annoying in the past but thanks so much for helping me figure out basic stuff like Google Spreadsheet. I feel like a spreadsheet magician now and outside of that you're just really nice

lucqq: We have to play League together soon!!! I hope you'll get out of ELO hell soon and promise me you will win Grand Slam ♥

Paraplegic: We haven't talked much to each other recently but hook me up on discord if you wanna talk sometime!

Pearl: I remember you said Elise was a great namechange and that was a really nice compliment and I'm just getting very happy just thinking about it. Last time we've talked a lot (which is a long time ago) you said you felt a bit down but I wish you all the best because you're an extremely nice person!!

qsns: Sorry for hassling you so much. You're a cool dude and I think you're cool just sayinggggggg you weeb ALSO CHLOE > UR 2D GIRLS

qwily: we talked for only 1.5 months now but it feels like we've been friends for so much longer. I feel like I can be open with you about my life and it's so nice to have soeone like that. Sorry about being a bit mean recently, school stressing is tough and stress does bad things to people :( Also you're the first one I really talked to over skype which is quite special tbh

Ruby.: OK IF U WANNA DO FUTDRAFTS WE'RE GONNA DO FUTDRAFTS

Shadestep: cute mergpijp; fluffy mergpijp; little merg of pijp; happy mergpijp; sleepy mergpijp; merg merg merg

SOMALIA: I have not really talked a lot to you but you're a nice person and cool to talk to. Also help me with getting good at maths y/y

Stax: I'm proud that I was the first one to be followed by such a great player. I think everyone knows you're a great player by now. I wish we could've talked more but I guess you're a busy man.

Stratos (RIP): Great dude to talk to with a good sense of humour wihle being straight to the point with some people (including me) which made me respect you as an auth and as a person.

teal6: thanks for being my UU tutor and probably the genuinely nicest person I have ever talked to. Hope you'll earn a lot of money with them stocks or whatever you did :DD

TUO:

Yaotome such a cool person to talk to, hit me up on discord or skype if you wanna talk I'm always available ^_^

Yoda2798: man I could go on so long about you being a nice person but I'll keep it short. You're a lovely person with a witty sense of humour. You can always cheer me up and you are one of my best friends and nicest guys I've talked to :D

Crestfall sorry for being an annoying shitter, dude. you're actually a cool dude to chat with and I am actually ashamed of the stupid shit I might have said in the past LOL maybe I can redeem myself in league??

Faisal Your Midlaner @Midget King Loblet
cool people list of the mobas

bluri
stop sending me dickpics on skype

Anty Snaquaza @RealPresent @Naminé SpartanMalice
Thanks for the nice and lovely past. Tervari was cringey as fuck but it broke my out of my shell online and made me realize I could actually make people laugh and I actually had some redeeming qualities and realizing that in such an important part of my youth made me become a better person in real life too, even though it might sound a bit dumb haha.
Importable
madoka (Gardevoir-Mega) @ Gardevoirite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hyper Voice
- Psychic
- Taunt
- Protect

Suicune @ Safety Goggles
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 16 Def / 144 SpA / 40 SpD / 56 Spe
Bold Nature
- Ice Beam
- Scald
- Tailwind
- Roar

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Heat Wave
- Earth Power
- Substitute
- Protect

Conkeldurr @ Life Orb
Ability: Iron Fist
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Def
Adamant Nature
- Mach Punch
- Drain Punch
- Wide Guard
- Knock Off

Kyurem-Black @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Teravolt
Timid Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Draco Meteor
- Fusion Bolt

EVs: 232 HP / 24 Atk / 252 SpA
Quiet Nature
- Substitute
- Earth Power
- Stone Edge
- Protect

Thanks so much everyone for reading through this RMT, I hope you've enjoyed my stay in the Doubles room and if not u can fuck off bye see u until maybe S/M (probably not though)

Last edited:
Because this reply will get deleted without content, I have to actually rate this team, but the real reason I'm replying is to quote one of the greats of pokemon showdown.
[10:24] Alice Sylvia Wolfe: Bearing witness to the trials of the human species brings me nothing but sadness. I will not weep tears for you.

Ok so first off imo go Naive or Hasty on Kyube rather than Timid because you want to actually do damage with fusion bolt.

On that topic, I notice that your Lando-T is pretty fucked. However, you could probably get away with running a set like
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Adamant / Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge / Rock Slide
- Superpower / Substitute / Rock Slide
- Protect
(You can also get away with AV) In order to use this, however, you'll need at least one more floating mon, which can take the place of Suicune in Zapdos or Kyurem-B in Hydreigon. If going the latter (the better option imo) you can just run Scarf and potentially HP Ice and boop you have your Ice-Weak killer. If going the former, you can always run Roar Zapdos since roar suicunes actually a cool tech.

However, you can just say "Fuck all that" and replace Conkeldurr with Scrafty because you'll have intimidate AND fake out, which means you can change the lando slot into whatever. For similar results, you can also go Salamence over Hydreigon but you'll be butt weak to waters if you do that, but then you can add like Amoonguss or something

Edit: I'll put this here to avoid double posting

Just got some very interesting input from my little sister, she believes you should run Tyrantrum over Kyurem-Black because she used Tyrantrum in her Pokemon X run and beat the elite four with it. Her sample set is something along the lines of
Justin (Tyrantrum) @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Strong Jaw
EVs: even across the board
Docile Nature
- Rock Slide
- Crunch
- Dragon Claw
- Giga Impact
Please take her suggestion into consideration, as I believe her knowledge on the in game meta is worth a second

Last edited:

Level 51

the orchestra plays the prettiest themes
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Top Smogon Media Contributoris a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past SCL Champion
Hi Elise! Was just passing by, and I was quite surprised to see that this team only has one response—it's a pretty interesting team, imo. A small suggestion from me here, but firstly, I wanted to share some spreads that might be useful to you.

On Conkeldurr, I'd suggest a spread of 232 HP / 152 Atk / 28 Def / 96 Spe, still with your Adamant Nature. This does a few fun things:
  • Outruns Adamant Kangaskhan under Tailwind. This is admittedly a rather old benchmark; if you're not interested in this you could drop the Speed investment.
  • Survives a Jolly Kangaskhan Fake Out + Return
  • Survives a Timid LO Latios Psyshock
  • Survives a Timid LO Latios Draco Meteor
  • Survives an Adamant Kangaskhan Double-Edge
  • Still nets KOs on Mega Kangaskhan, Latios, etc.
Since Jolly Kangaskhan is becoming increasingly popular, you could also try a spread with 156 Speed EVs, which gives you the jump on anything up and including Jolly Kangaskhan once you're under Tailwind. Of course, by this time you would be dropping a lot of Attack investment, but from my experience with Conkeldurr Attack investment isn't always required.

On Heatran, a spread of 228 HP / 8 Def / 20 SAtk / 252 Spe (still Timid) could be interesting; again, from personal experience I find that Substitute Heatran (especially Substitute Lefties) generally doesn't require all that much offensive investment. Here's what it does:
  • Adamant Landorus-T cannot break your Substitutes in one hit with Rock Slide
  • Jolly Kangaskhan only have a 15/16 chance (barring crits) to break your substitutes on the first hit of Sucker Punch or Power-Up Punch (to guarantee that they can't break your Substitute barring a critical hit, go to 28 Def instead, taking the 20 EVs out of SAtk, or shift the defensive EVs to 132 HP / 100 Def with 4 EVs to spare. The latter not recommended.)
  • 98.9% chance to 2HKO 252/4 Volcanion (99.6% chance to 2HKO 252/0 Volcanion) with Earth Power
  • Still 2HKOs Landorus-T after a Flash Fire boost (read: does >50% to a Lando-T switchin after Flash Fire)
The last Pokemon I wanted to talk about was Landorus-T. While I agree with its presence in principle, I feel that you're trying to be overly cute with the bulky mixed EBelt build. One thing I noticed about your team is that it doesn't seem to have all that many ways to retaliate very well against solid Sun offense (or even just a well-played Charizard Y by itself), outside of Kyurem-B's Fusion Bolt. Even the latter is iffy, since you could very well be locked into Draco Meteor at -2 when Charizard switches in. Although you do have a Heatran, Charizard Ys do tend to run HP Ground or Focus Blast now and then, and if they manage to catch your Heatran off-guard you have virtually zero switchins; either way, you don't seem to have many ways to outrun and aggressively target down Charizard Y. Landorus-T, I feel, is a good place to go for this; some options I guess you could consider on it are a Jolly AV build with Stone Edge, which can outrun and KO a Charizard with Stone Edge, or a Jolly Choice Band build if you don't mind running double Choice. If you don't enjoy losing out on Protect you could even consider a Jolly Life Orb build, though I find that rather iffy myself. Either way, I'd consider an EV spread of 120 HP / 132 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe on the AV build or 120 HP / 96 Atk / 4 Def / 36 SDef / 252 Spe on the other two. Here's what they let you do:
  • Survive LO Bisharp's +1 Sucker Punch - another fairly outdated spread though, feel free to try out a 4/252/252 set on AV Lando
  • Survive non-LO Thundurus' HP Ice (non-AV set) - Magnet Thund-I is a thing I promise
  • on the AV set, survive a Sun-boosted Overheat from 84+ SAtk Charizard Y
Hope I helped out in some way!

Idyll

xD
is a Tutoris an official Team Rateris a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Contributoris a Smogon Media Contributoris a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnus
RBTT Champion
yo, late rate but yeah! The team itself looks neat and isn't weak to much except to Zard Y. Your team also has some kinks here and there that could do with some optimizing. Level 51's suggestions above are p nifty and feel free to follow them at your leisure. Mine, on the other hand, is going to take a more daring approach. You can even follow the non-contradicting parts of both but w/e.

First thing's first though, there's a problem with your Suicune set. See, that spread (that I made) follows benchmarks that require Sitrus Berry in order to be hit, otherwise they're just cute and aren't that useful. Namely, the spread you have now avoids the 2HKO from either +2 Mega Kangaskhan Return or standard Rotom-W Thunderbolt only if holding a Sitrus Berry. This means that you have to at least either optimize your spread into one that actually hits benchmarks or you give it Sitrus Berry and relegate the role of Spore switch-in to something else. For this rate, I suggest you do the latter and run Sitrus Berry on your Suicune. It's also not like you beat Amoonguss with Safety Goggles in practice; you only really only lose out on Roaring a TR setter next to Amoonguss, but this situation is too specific to be actually worth more than the practicality of bulk and you still have other ways of dealing with Amoonguss anyway.

If you did the above, then the next thing I suggest is putting Safety Goggles on Heatran and giving it Stealth Rock over Substitute. This makes sure that you still have a Sleep switch-in, but this time it can actually win versus Amoonguss (or Breloom lol). In addition, it improves your somewhat scary matchups to Talonflame and Mega Charizard Y by allowing you to put pressure on them just by making them switch in, and it helps in guaranteeing KOs with Gard Hyper Voice, etc. just through having that chip damage in. With this change, you lose out on SubTran's general longevity but in return you get better matchups against other stuff.

My last suggestion is that you use standard Jolly Expert Belt Landorus-T over your current set. Like said earlier in this rate and by Level 51, you have an iffy matchup to YZard and you don't have much ways to beat it so making your Landog faster helps that. Another reason why I suggest you to change this is that your set isn't really that effective in practice; it looks cute but it's just too slow to be an actual threat to the things it should be threatening and the move selection is just wack in general, relying on Expert Belt to actually get some KO power with Earth Power and Stone Edge with littlee Attack investment. With a faster Dog, you can have a better matchup against Zard Y while at the same time allowing it to be an actual threat to stuff such as Mega Kangaskhan, Heatran, etc. I suggest using either straight maximums or using the spread that L51 gave if you choose to implement this one. Regardless, I suggest you at least give your Lando-T Speed lol.
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Protect

GL :pimp:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)