XY Ubers Mega Gengar is Hot

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
What's up guys you got pokeaim here! Lol sorry had to get that out of the way. Anyway...hey guys i'm Joey! I'm a youtuber and tournament player here on Smogon as well as a team rater and various other things. I'm here showcasing a team that Edgar and I made during SPL 5 featuring HP Fire Mega Gengar which at the time was unheard of. During week 5 of SPL i was matched up with Manaphy. Manaphy was known for using rain balance...ALWAYS. Edgar and I noticed that he had a thing for Mega Scizor so we wanted a way to lure it in and get rid of it to give other members on the potential team an easier chance of sweeping. This is how HP Fire Mega Gengar was born. Since we may not have this mon in the near future, i thought it was time to share a team that has not only brought me success in tournaments but also on the ladder!

Deoxys (Deoxys-Speed) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Knock Off
If anyone knows me they know that I love spike stacking offense, especially in Ubers! I decided on using the fastest and most reliable one, Deoxys-Speed. We went with the standard spread of Max HP and Max Speed Jolly Nature to speed tie with other Deoxys-S as well as be able to survive Tyranitar's Crunch plus sand storm damage most of the time. Stealth Rock and Spikes are a given. Taunt was chosen over Magic Coat as it blocks Defog and prevents threats like Arceus and Xerneas from setting up. Knock Off was chosen as the final move to break opposing Deoxys-Speed sashes as well as cripple pokemon like Landorus-T for an easier sweep with my Ekiller or Groudon.

Gengar (M) @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Taunt
The star of the team, Mega Gengar! This mon is causing quite the ruckus in the Ubers tier. HP Fire Gar is what made this team perform so well. He lures in pokemon like Mega Scizor and knocks them out most of the time with HP Fire. If Stealth Rock are up Mega Scizor just dies. Gar also traps Skarmory which lets Ekiller and DD Groudon have a field day. Sludge Wave is standard to smack Xerneas as well as hit most stuff for neutral damage doing a hell of a lot, i might add. I chose Shadow Ball over Focus Blast or Destiny Bond because it allowed me to hit Groudon and Landorus-T harder, for the first more accurately and pave the way once again for my Ekiller/DD Groudon. Taunt to break stall and beat Chansey/Non Shed Shell Bliss(don't even think this exists with Gar in the tier) 1 v 1. An alternative spread of 180 SpA / 76 SpD / 252 Spe could also be used to take +2 Moon Blast from Xerneas and do a crap load back with Sludge Wave putting it in range for Ekiller to revenge kill, but Xerneas doesn't set up for free vs anything without taking the damage I need first.

Yveltal @ Life Orb
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Rash Nature
- Oblivion Wing
- Dark Pulse
- Sucker Punch
- Foul Play
My Mewtwo and Gar check, if the latter even exists. Able to severely dent 'switch-ins' with Dark Aura boosted Dark Pulse plus recovering 75% of the damage done with Oblivion Wing. This mon is just a monster with hazards up on the field. This ev spread allows Yveltal to always survive +2 Adamant Silk Scarf Ekiller's espeed (who always try to set up on Life Orb Yveltal) and knock it out with Foul Play in return. Foul Play also smacks Ho-oh for massive damage, knocking out CB variants. We opted for Life Orb over Black Glasses as it allowed us to hit Xerneas hard enough to put it in range of Ekiller's Espeed. The spread allows us to outspeed base 90's and standard GeoXerneas.

Groudon @ Lum Berry
Ability: Drought
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance
DD Groudon. Such a powerhouse. With support from Gar getting rid of Skarmory and trapping Support Arceus Grass this man just ravages through teams. With the speed investment at +2 you outspeed the whole metagame bar Scarf Skymin and Scarf Darkrai, the latter not being able to do much due to Lum Berry. Lum Berry was a pretty obvious choice as it allowed us to dodge pesky Will-o-Wisps and annoying Toxic's. We went max attack for the damage output. Again we wanted this team to be as "Xerneas proof" as possible so being able to dish out major damage was the job of all the members. Groudon provided a nice Zekrom check for the team and was generally a monster late game.

Arceus @ Silk Scarf
Ability: Multitype
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Shadow Claw
- Swords Dance
A pokemon that needs no introduction, Arceus. Ekiller is what I would call the glue of the team. It keeps threats like Xerneas in check. With Gar support the last move did not have to be Overheat as Arceus now had an easier time sweeping late game with Skarmory/Mega Scizor, specifically Superpower variants, gone. Lum Berry was an option over Silk Scarf but the damage difference was too much to give up. Another set we tried was Jolly 252/252/4 to outspeed and knock out Mega Gengar before it mega evolves but again the damage difference was easily noticeable and could cost us more than two pokemon vs Xerneas and kills vs Zekrom after rocks. Ekiller being a threat since way back.

Palkia @ Lustrous Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spacial Rend
- Fire Blast
- Hydro Pump
- Thunder Wave
Our Kyogre check and hard hitter vs opposing rain teams. Palkia is just a monster with a Lustrous Orb. We opted for that over Assault Vest for the damage output and the ability to Thunder Wave, stopping Xerneas from sweeping and crippling annoying pokemon like Arceus-Water/Grass. Spacial Rend, Fire Blast and Hydro Pump have perfect coverage in Ubers, the latter being able to 2HKO everything if a neutral hit bar Blissey/Sylveon. Thunder was tested but Fire Blast was missed vs annoying pokemon like Ferrothorn who would Leech Seed and Thunder Wave my switch-ins. Toxic over Fire Blast was also tried with Leftovers over LO. This helped vs Arceus-Electric but once again we found ourselves missing Fire Blast. All in all, Palkia did its job well.

Conclusion: The team was built to beat Manaphy, and that is what it did. Gar shined and was able to knock out the steel types, being Skarm > Scizor, allowing my Ekiller and DD Groudon to win me the game. It obviously has its weaknesses. Yveltal being a huge threat...but once again it was made to counter a certain play style and well Manaphy didn't really use Yveltal haha. It's a fun team and i'm happy to be potentially retiring it.

Shout outs
IDM
My youtube buddies
Wolfpack
US East
Edgar who helped build the team and is nothing but a fren :]
PROBLEMS who always helped me test and build teams :]
Donkey couldn't have done well with out you either bud :]
Sweep thanks for the tests as well :]
Melee Mewtwo nothin' but a fren!

Kay that's it stop reading....ok fine the import
Deoxys (Deoxys-Speed) @ Focus Sash
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Spikes
- Taunt
- Knock Off

Gengar (M) @ Gengarite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Sludge Wave
- Shadow Ball
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Taunt

Yveltal @ Life Orb
Ability: Dark Aura
EVs: 72 HP / 252 SpA / 184 Spe
Rash Nature
- Oblivion Wing
- Dark Pulse
- Sucker Punch
- Foul Play

Groudon @ Lum Berry
Ability: Drought
EVs: 80 HP / 252 Atk / 176 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance

Arceus @ Silk Scarf
EVs: 240 HP / 252 Atk / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Shadow Claw
- Swords Dance

Palkia @ Lustrous Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Spacial Rend
- Fire Blast
- Hydro Pump
- Thunder Wave

Last edited:
Hey, Youtube user nojnp pokeaimMD. Nice team you got there :]

Since we made a pretty good job on this team I am just going to suggest you to use Jolly Life Orb Arceus over Silk Scarf. Although it's sub-optimal, it lets you outspeed Mega-Gengar before mega evolving (which hopefully gets banned soon along with Shadow Tag PLS BAN IT PLS), you lose a lot of the bulk and power but I think it's worth it since a lot of people run Focus Blast Mega Gengar as a last resort Extremekiller check and this allows you to take that away from them. Like I said before, this team is already pretty good so there's not much to say about it. Sorry Ubers metagame for bringing Hidden Power Fire Mega Gengar into your life. :]

Arceus @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Claw
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance

aim

pokeaimMD
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Two-Time Past WCoP Champion
Hey, Youtube user nojnp pokeaimMD. Nice team you got there :]

Since we made a pretty good job on this team I am just going to suggest you to use Jolly Life Orb Arceus over Silk Scarf. Although it's sub-optimal, it lets you outspeed Mega-Gengar before mega evolving (which hopefully gets banned soon along with Shadow Tag PLS BAN IT PLS), you lose all the bulk and power but I think it's worth it since a lot of people run Focus Blast Mega Gengar as a last resort Extremekiller check and this allows you to take that away from them. Like I said before, this team is already pretty good so there's not much to say about it. Sorry Ubers metagame for bringing Hidden Power Fire Mega Gengar into your life. :]

Arceus @ Life Orb
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Extreme Speed
- Shadow Claw
- Earthquake
- Swords Dance
This guy lol...Thanks bud! Hopefully Gar gets banned soon so we can make a new variant :J Hehe Bwoii

Krauersaut

h.t.d.t.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
hey fren is Krauersaut :] I won't be happy until you RMT that TRTini team =/

Anyway, I'd personally recommend Anikrahman1995 Deo-S over your current set. It allows you to maintain hazard control with Magic Coat, reliably get up Stealth Rocks and prevent them from getting on your own side (helping out with Yveltal a bit, can't underestimate 25%) and reliably kicks Kangaskhan to the curb, which would otherwise give this team a fair amount of trouble. If it leads against Deo-S, Arceus can pick it off.

When Shadow Tag is gone, I'd recommend reverting back to the Silk Scarf Arceus set (which is by far my favourite). Another rather unorthodox thing you can do that I enjoy is Taunt on Deo-S, cancelling out my old changes, and reverting to Magic Coat EKiller. The amount of things you can do with Magic Coat Ekiller is spectacular n_n It anti-leads almost all the meta's designated hazard setting leads, and turns its checks to mush. When Mega-Gengar is gone, the speed loss will be nullified :D

Deoxys-Speed @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 176 Def / 84 Spe
Timid Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Magic Coat
- Toxic
- Psycho Boost

Arceus @ Silk Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 240 HP / 16 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Swords Dance
- ExtremeSpeed
- Shadow Claw
- Magic Coat

awesome team fren :^]

Reactions: aim
lol, the amount of posts that are just saying it's a good team is too damn high (Or just not helpful in general). And good lawdy the amount of Guests. Regardless, good team, aim. I can't exactly think of a bad point other than something like Landorus-Therian being able to hurt your team quite a bit along with Yveltal, but I don't play Ubers so don't take my advice for granted. Although I do believe that you should take Anikrahman1995's Deoxys-S EVs and Rocky Helmet, as Mega Kangaskhan can have a pretty good time against your team.

Oh yeah, thanks a lot since I was starting to get into Ubers, now I need to make a counter-team :L.

lol, the amount of posts that are just saying it's a good team is too damn high (Or just not helpful in general). And good lawdy the amount of Guests. Regardless, good team, aim. I can't exactly think of a bad point other than something like Landorus-Therian being able to hurt your team quite a bit along with Yveltal, but I don't play Ubers so don't take my advice for granted. Although I do believe that you should take Anikrahman1995's Deoxys-S EVs and Rocky Helmet, as Mega Kangaskhan can have a pretty good time against your team.

Oh yeah, thanks a lot since I was starting to get into Ubers, now I need to make a counter-team :L.
I'm gonna keep posting in this team since I had a lot of influence on it. Anyways, I don't think aim should use "Anikrahaman1995's Deo-S". I think the same stff that it offers can be accomplished with a Dual Screens Deoxys-S set (if not better), Deoxys could be able to set up a Reflect + Stealth Rock, allowing the following pokemon (say Arceus) to come in and set up on Mega Kangaskhan, I feel like Dual Screen Deoxys-S would support the team better than "Anikrahaman1995's Deo-S" in the long run since his team has a few set up sweepers that could well appreciate the Reflect/Light Screen but, he also needs Spikes to keep the offensive pressure on the opponent, forcing it to Defog and therefor giving some of his pokemon free turns, that was part of our thought process as for what reason we wanted to use Spikes Deoxys-S.

hey aim big fan

Heya, I really do like this team. Even though it was meant as a CT, it turned out very well and is a very solid and well built hyper offensive team. I especially like the use of foul play yveltal to help check ekiller which frees up for a pokemon as you dont have to run something like scizor or the mediocre ditto but can instead turn this free slot into double dance groudon which can potentially put in a lot of work and forms a nice core with ekiller as they wear down each others check very nicely. I feel this is a great team, but would like to give my 2 cents as I think some small improvements could still be made.

I would like to suggest you take yveltal's hp ev's and move them to phys def. I consider it to be the main check to ekiller actually, gengar does not carry either focus blast or destiny bond, more on this later. 72 ev's are nice, but 112 phys def on yeveltal, +2 252 Atk Life Orb Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 112 Def Yveltal: 298-352 (75.8 - 89.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO, although it may seem much, seems like a more useful spread. This spread will always live a jolly life orb espeed and have enough hp left to get one more hit in (after you have killed arceus with foul play) (+2 252 Atk Life Orb Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 112 Def Yveltal: 298-352 (75.8 - 89.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO) and it also gives it a better chance to check it after stealth rock if arceus is holding a silk scarf, in case rocks may be up on the field because even though you pressure stealth rock setters well it could still happen (+2 252 Atk Silk Scarf Arceus Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 112 Def Yveltal: 276-325 (70.2 - 82.6%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock) instead of 75-88% with 72 hp ev's. If you think 122 is too much, then still move the ev's from hp to phys def as yveltal's main job is to check ekiller (and of course hit very hard also, but yh).

I do think this change is needed because you are not running either focus blast or destiny bond on mega-gengar as I said before. I however am not going to change the megagar set, hidden power fire, although situational (its a ct after all), should stay because of how effective it was vs manaphy and really helps out the team in general. Shadow ball is also very nice on the set for the reasons you described. However what may be overlooked here is how destiny bond could achieve roughly the same thing. Shadow ball puts groudon in a range where it can still one-time check ekiller and lando-t doesn't lose its ability to intimidate it (unless you hit it on the switch, but I'll address this next). Destiny bond on gengar over shadow ball is a change that would solve this. Not only would it help greatly reduce the ekiller weakness (maybe to the point where you dont need 112 phys def on yveltal actually). It isnt too pressured to megavolve early as you have another check, but this adds another great check. You may think you'll feel hopeless in some situations with sludge wave and hp fire as your only attacking moves, but in many situations dbonding is much more helpful. Also using spdef ev's (76) to live a +2 xern's moonblast can be nice, but you rely on hp fire to do big damage so it should be fine as you pressure xern enough.

I'm not a huge fan over max hp arceus myself, but I think you should at the very least run enough speed to outpace standard support arceus which runs 96 timid so you can avoid getting burnt. Enough speed to outpace mgar before it mevo's may even be better (thats 176 jolly iirc) but if you want to keep it a more bulky I think you should go with 100 speed ev's with a jolly nature on arceus.

Edit 2: Actually this would only be effective for support rockeus, steelceus and for non-max speed ghosteus (which creeps to adamant anyway) so just go with max speed jolly tbf as you want to beat gengar. You could also creep to pre-mevo gengar as I said before, but at that point you may as well just run max speed.

Once again very solid team man :]

Edit: O man just saw your video, that really sucks I feel sorry for you :( I hope your grandmother gets better, that really sucks.

Last edited:
Great work aim, love the work you are doing in the tier! I saw your video as well, I hope things get better :]

Anyway onto the rate- I know it has been pointed out but unless Gengar gets banned I think Jolly nature is absolutely necessary on Ekiller. Something I'd like to see being used here is Icy Wind on Gengar, preferably over Shadow Ball. This removes Gliscor/Lando-T that hampers Groudon a bit. Shadow Ball isn't that needed with HP Fire, Icy Wind hits Groudon about as hard as Shadow Ball too so there is that. I'd probably also prefer DBond on Gengar since it's overall very useful, I don't know if Taunt is that needed as DD Don+Ekiller should be able to break most stall anyway but I guess it's a preference thing. Same goes for the Yveltal set, I feel like you give Gengar a lot more opportunities to do work by using U-turn on it. 100 % understand you need Foul Play since Ho-oh is a rather big threat though, but with Gengar support I don't feel Owing is entirely necessary (you don't need to do much else than trapping the bulky Fairys with Gengar) so you can try Dread Plate with 3 Dark moves+U-turn which keeps the general advantages of Foul Play Yveltal.

Lastly, just minor things but 176 speed Groudon can be optimized as Scarf Terrakion is pretty extinct. I think an old number was 136 speed but apparently that was for scarf Chomp which is also not a thing... Anyway, point being you can probably justify running much less speed.

Good team and good luck with everything!

Edit: To everyone talking about rocky helmet deo-s, the set was innovated by dice fwiw

haxiom

God's not dead.
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey aim,

This is a great team. Just so you know, this is probably going to be a shorter/abbreviated rate since the team is already very complete. The team in general allows minimum opportunities to setup and does a good job of keeping offensive momentum in that manner. I do feel like Yveltal and Palkia are pretty defoggable though, which I guess isn't that good. Other than that, I mean as an offensive team it holds pretty well in preventing most threats from setting up really. Xerneas sets up on Ekiller 1v1, which I think is how I beat someone using this team on the ladder, but I struggle to find very many holes.

I don't really think too many changes need to be made to the team, seeing as it's already a pretty solid team. I will echo the suggestion of Jolly LO Ekiller, as it is superior now for it's ability to beat Gengar more easily. Speaking of Gengar, I also agree with a few of the suggestions that have been replacing Shadow Ball. Your options really are Dbond and Icy Wind, I suppose Icy Wind fits the original intention better, though Destiny Bond provides an emergency stop to a few threats- it's your choice but the bottom line is that Shadow Ball isn't really necessary.

OPTIMIZATION:

Deoxys-S: fine I guess
Gengar: The optional spread might be nice since it lets you potentially have a stop to Geomancy Xerneas in the scenario I mentioned earlier
Yveltal: FP is cool, I guess it's fine
Groudon: Yeah, speed creeping this was always pretty tricky. 176 is for Scarf Terrakion, which is nonexistent, 136 for ScarfChomp (nonexistent), 124 for ScarfKia (nonexistent) so I guess you could even get away with 56 to outpace positive nature base 90 scarfers. This gives you a significant amount of bulk too, which is nice.
Arceus: Jolly LO Ekiller
Palkia: 4 SDef > 4 HP for a better hazard/status number

Other than that, great team. I hope your grandmother gets better. Congrats on Media badge. Good luck!

EDIT: Wow I'm re-reading this rate and it's p bad- I just said what everyone else said. There is a good chance that I will be editing in more.

EDIT 2: Here's a revamp.

So, I looked for a while and these are the only holes/weaknesses I found (may be some overlap with the first part of this.

1) Deoxys-A Lead + Xerneas- Deoxys-A lead is especially annoying since say it does Knock Off--> Extreme Speed- if you attacked first you get no hazards and it forces out Ekiller to revenge, which becomes setup fodder for GeoXern (both setup, Arceus cannot KO and Xern does). If you put down hazards first, the opposing team has a sashed Deo-A still alive which your team doesn't handle too well.

2) Palkia+Yveltal are defog bait- Generally the opponent has a good chance to defog against these two which effectively puts you at 5v6. Neither really has a way to stop the opponent from defogging, unlike setup, like Arceus and Groudon, or taunt like Deo-S and Gengar. I touched on this a bit earlier.

3) Fast Unboosted Threats- things like ScarfKrom and Blaziken are a threat. ScarfKrom actually 1-2HKO's the entire team, including Groudon, and Blaziken does as well iirc. The team is kind of has this concept of stopping setup sweepers before they set up kind of thing in general, which kind of creates this weakness. There are probably other scarfers and stuff that are threats as well.

So yeah, I will make sure to tell you- these are minor weaknesses. The team still is pretty great, I'm just noting the holes I do see.

Changes: The first thing is, and this goes back to earlier, Groudon can afford to run less speed and more bulk. I think a spread of 200 HP / 252 Atk / 56 Spd with an Adamant Nature, which outspeeds base Max+ base 90 Scarfers. The extra bulk will help against stuff like ScarfKrom and Ekiller I guess. Secondly, I felt like a general way to help versus faster threats, as well as the first situation, would be more priority. This is a much bigger change, and one I will probably get a lot of flak for, but I feel like Rayquaza > Palkia is a viable option. Before you throw this option out the window, hear me out. I understand that you end up weaker to SR, as well as Kyogre, and miss out on some cool synergy between Palkia and Groudon, Rayquaza definitely benefits the team by not being defog bait, having added priority to emergency stop pretty much anything threatening, and also clearing the way for Groudon and Ekiller even more. I feel like Kyogre does become more scary, but keep in mind that Hazards are really going to take their toll and weaken its Water Spout, and it gets no free switches versus anything really so it has to come in after a kill. Via priority, a lot of the team already threatens to do significant damage to it already. Finally, Ray is a decent switch in, as HO often only needs something that can switch in to Kyogre once or twice. Just a though of course, and I certainly see the disadvantages of running it as well.

So yeah. Also, congrats on this getting nominated for the archive.

Last edited:
Hey Aim, I'm fairly new to competitive Pokemon, but what exactly can this team do if Xerneas somehow gets a Geomancy boost? Doesn't it outright sweep the team? If anyone can answer this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Krauersaut

h.t.d.t.
is a Top Social Media Contributor Alumnus
Hey Aim, I'm fairly new to competitive Pokemon, but what exactly can this team do if Xerneas somehow gets a Geomancy boost? Doesn't it outright sweep the team? If anyone can answer this, it would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.
Everyone on Aim's team does sufficient damage to it to enable EKiller to pick it off.

hyw

Banned deucer.
Except to variants that run 252 Spe, Timid Nature, in attempt to outpace things like Sticky Webs Genesect and Taunt Yveltal (or this kind of Yveltal, for that matter).

Anyway my first post here got deleted for whatever reason but I said that I hope your grandmother feels better soon. Also I'm a huge fan of your YouTube channel. x3

Fireburn

BARN ALL
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Lastly, just minor things but 176 speed Groudon can be optimized as Scarf Terrakion is pretty extinct. I think an old number was 136 speed but apparently that was for scarf Chomp which is also not a thing... Anyway, point being you can probably justify running much less speed.
124 EVs lets you beat Scarf base 100's (so Palkia, Yveltal, Gene, etc) which is probably as fast as you need.

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hey aim, great team, i used it a bit on the suspect test ladder. However, i didn't like Groudon at all. It was too weak, too slow, didn't check many stuff, and sucked at sweeping, because even with Skarmory / Landorus-T gone, there are a ton of bulky Pokemon able to take a hit and KO a weakened Groudon, such as Xerneas, Yveltal, and many more. Also, Groudon never manages to get two boosts, so it either gets outsped or walled too easily. Long story short, i replaced Groudon with a LO Tailwind Zekrom, and the results were great. Zekrom is an excellent early-game wallbreaker, another check to Kyogre in case the opponent has Blissey (where Palkia becomes useless, so i need to double switch), and a check to Ho-Oh, which your team lacks. Zekrom also deals with CM Kyogre, a huge threat to your team, as your only answer to CM Kyogre is Destiny Bond with Mega Gengar, which can't even switch in. Finally, Zekrom is an even better cleaner than Groudon that can also help its team in case he goes down before Tailwind ends.

I also prefer Taunt > Foul Play on Yveltal now that you have a Ho-Oh check, and Icy Wind > Shadow Ball to OHKO Landorus-T, but that's minor.

Here is the Zekrom set:

Zekrom @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Bolt Strike
- Dragon Claw
- Draco Meteor
- Tailwind

Good luck, hope i helped!

Reactions: aim

haxiom

God's not dead.
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey aim, great team, i used it a bit on the suspect test ladder. However, i didn't like Groudon at all. It was too weak, too slow, didn't check many stuff, and sucked at sweeping, because even with Skarmory / Landorus-T gone, there are a ton of bulky Pokemon able to take a hit and KO a weakened Groudon, such as Xerneas, Yveltal, and many more. Also, Groudon never manages to get two boosts, so it either gets outsped or walled too easily. Long story short, i replaced Groudon with a LO Tailwind Zekrom, and the results were great. Zekrom is an excellent early-game wallbreaker, another check to Kyogre in case the opponent has Blissey (where Palkia becomes useless, so i need to double switch), and a check to Ho-Oh, which your team lacks. Zekrom also deals with CM Kyogre, a huge threat to your team, as your only answer to CM Kyogre is Destiny Bond with Mega Gengar, which can't even switch in. Finally, Zekrom is an even better cleaner than Groudon that can also help its team in case he goes down before Tailwind ends.

I also prefer Taunt > Foul Play on Yveltal now that you have a Ho-Oh check, and Icy Wind > Shadow Ball to OHKO Landorus-T, but that's minor.

Here is the Zekrom set:

Zekrom @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Lonely Nature
- Bolt Strike
- Dragon Claw
- Draco Meteor
- Tailwind

Good luck, hope i helped!
I don't mean to derail this thread, nor do I mean to speak for aim but I want to point out a few things. I do not feel like DD Groudon is really very slow or weak at all, on the contrary DD Groudon is an excellent sweeper. Running 124 EVs as Fireburn suggested outspeeds everything up to a base 100 scarfer, while in the process outspeeding pretty much the entire unboosted meta. In terms of power, 150 attack is massive at +2, and even has a chance to OHKO a max physically defensive Xerneas after SR+1 layer of spikes, which is quite a feat. You mentioned that it cannot acquire both boosts easily, however Groudon is quite bulky and can set up one boost on something like Zekrom and the other on a status move or something. Anyways, it's far from impossible. Zekrom is good, and it is not like it's bad per se, I just feel like you are underestimating Groudon a bit (I fully understand that you laddered and tested it though).

In regards to the other stuff, I disagree with taunt because Foul Play is necessary to prevent Ekiller from setting up on Yveltal.

@below fair enough, I still disagree but we'll leave it at that. The last calc is kinda irrelevant though since a +2 Ekiller pretty much wins if it sets up at all. He has enough ways to beat stall anyways

Last edited:

alexwolf

lurks in the shadows
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I don't mean to derail this thread, nor do I mean to speak for aim but I want to point out a few things. I do not feel like DD Groudon is really very slow or weak at all, on the contrary DD Groudon is an excellent sweeper. Running 124 EVs as Fireburn suggested outspeeds everything up to a base 100 scarfer, while in the process outspeeding pretty much the entire unboosted meta. In terms of power, 150 attack is massive at +2, and even has a chance to OHKO a max physically defensive Xerneas after SR+1 layer of spikes, which is quite a feat. You mentioned that it cannot acquire both boosts easily, however Groudon is quite bulky and can set up one boost on something like Zekrom and the other on a status move or something. Anyways, it's far from impossible. Zekrom is good, and it is not like it's bad per se, I just feel like you are underestimating Groudon a bit (I fully understand that you laddered and tested it though).

In regards to the other stuff, I disagree with taunt because Foul Play is necessary to prevent Ekiller from setting up on Yveltal.
I said that Groudon can't be both strong and fast, because it can't acquire both boosts reliably, at least from my experience. And one boost is not enough, because there are plenty of Pokemon that are both faster and able to take one hit from unboosted Groudon, even on offensive teams.

Also, Arceus Normal doesn't really get much set up chances against this team, and Dark Pulse from Yveltal already does a ton:

252+ SpA Life Orb Dark Aura Yveltal Dark Pulse vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Arceus: 216-255 (56.5 - 66.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

this will be concise since i'm sure you know how to play this team effectively.

you're definitely going to have problems with opposing yveltal, especially physically defensive as you have no real means to break it with a halfway decent core supporting it while it walls and/or checks 2/3 of your team. offensive yveltal is also an issue, albeit minor compared to more defensive varients. xerneas is obviously threatening if it can manage to geo on groudon as it requires 2/3 pokemon to sack. in my opinion, you have far too many pokemon whom are susceptible to defog to delegate a slot to deoxys-s which is already a shaky choice in the metagame anyway. i've personally ran a similar kleki build using klefki instead of deoxys-s (same core, not exactly same pokes) which fixes your need to sack your current pokemon in against xerneas and it gives a solid yveltal check. of course this means you give up rp groudon and have a stealth rock weak pokemon without a taunter; however, you become more sound on paper but i'm not sure if you want to give up the offensive utility which deo-s provides. i still think jolly ekiller is vastly superior, but your playstyle differs so that's just player preference at the end of the day. i typically prefer toxic instead of hydro pump on palkia as you do have groudon support, but this is relatively minor as well. 52 hp ev's + lefties also hits some arbitrary benchmark having to do with kyogre iirc. using draco meteor + leftovers lures in xerneas much better if you're desperate to twave it if you're wanting to try that out. just some options as there really isn't much to optimize in this type of building objectively. most of these things are just subjective ramblings.

thanks for posting though.

e: please don't use zekrom here lol

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)