XY OU Mega Heracross with sticky web support

Introduction:
Hello, everyone. I've been playing PS for a while now but i'm new to smogon. I really wanted to make an RMT of my team after seeing all those cool teams from you guys so here it is. I quickly went through the rules and i hope i'm not doing anything wrong.
One thing i wanted to clear is that English is not my first language so pardon if you see a lot of mistakes ;_;

Team Building Process:

Mega Heracross looked appealing because of his devastating attack stat that rips through teams. I wanted to try him out. Almost everyone bases their teams around a mega so i chose mega hera and based this team around him.

Heracross's speed wasn't any good and he needed some support so i chose shuckle to lay sticky web and rocks to break sashes and multiscale of dragonite making way for heracross to kill as much stuff as possible.

Next i needed heracross to stay healthy throughout the match and a bulky mon to take hits easily, so i chose alomomola.

Healing wish latias also looked interesting and i could always use it to free hera from status but later on i didn't use it as a healing wish user but as a killer.

Next, i chose specially defensive heatran cuz it can take a lot of special hits easily and this is one of my answers to ferrothorn, scizor and skarmory.

I was soon to realize that my team was lacking a good revenge killer and of all the things i picked ditto because in my opinion it really is the best revenge killer.

Moving onto the details of sets:

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Guts
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Swords dance
This guy is a major wall breaker and after the sticky web support provided by shuckle not much can stop it. His main purpose is to come in on bulky pokes or hazard setters and set up a swords dance. After one swords dance its pretty much gg if the opposing player doesn't have anything like talonflame or mega pinsir. He also acts as the only physical attacker of my team and my really only answer to chansey/blissey. The EVs are to give him as much bulk while still retaining enough speed to outspeed a lot of stuff after sticky web. Swords dance was chosen over bullet seed because i haven't really felt the need for bullet seed as rock blast or pin missile can take pretty much every water type out with ease. With two great STAB moves he can rip through almost anything. Close combat does a ton of damage to anything that doesn't resist it. I was thinking of investing a little more in hp so that it may live a psyshock from latias at full health.

Shuckle @ Mental Herb
Ability: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Sticky Web
- Encore
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

This is exactly what shuckle says. This guy's role is to set up rocks and sticky web which is quite obvious. He was invested specially defensive because it makes him able to live anything and with sturdy its a guaranteed web and rocks almost 100% of the time. Mental Herb was given to him so that i can guarantee a web up. Encore helps me a lot and it makes a great Encore+ ditto combo with ditto. Suppose i encore lock something into swords dance or another boosting move, if the opponent is a retard i can bring ditto in and take advantage of it right away. Now, this guy doesn't only lay a web. He can play another important role and for it i always keep it alive after laying up a web. He becomes a great sack bait if something goes insane. If dnite sets up a dd and goes to sweep i can always sack this so that nothing dies and ditto can revenge kill. Toxic was given just randomly as i don't get what else i should run. Shuckle is the best sticky web layer in my opinion and can do a lot more stuff if used properly.

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 36 HP / 220 Def / 252 SpD
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Mirror Coat
- Protect
- Scald
Its just funny how many hits this thing can take. This fish here is in my opinion the best wish passer and i have a solid reason for saying that. Regenerator makes it a great wish passer that can pass wishes without having to care about its own health. Wish and protect are obvious. Mirror coat is there to surprise a lot of stuff. It takes pitiful damage from a lot of attacks like volt switch from physically defensive rotom-wash. Here are some notable calcs:

4 SpA Rotom-W Volt Switch vs. 36 HP / 252+ SpD Alomomola: 182-216 (37.9 - 45%) -- guaranteed 3HKO after Leftovers recovery
easy to predict after protect. I use mirror coat and whatever comes in dies.

252 SpA Mega Manectric Thunderbolt vs. 36 HP / 252+ SpD Alomomola: 344-408 (71.6 - 85%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Yeah gg mega manectric. That calc was from a timid manectric lets see about a modest manectric mega

252+ SpA Mega Manectric Thunderbolt vs. 36 HP / 252+ SpD Alomomola: 378-446 (78.7 - 92.9%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery
Impressive, right?

252+ SpA Mega Venusaur Giga Drain vs. 36 HP / 252+ SpD Alomomola: 294-348 (61.2 - 72.5%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Venusaurs don't run that but i'm just showing the potential of alomomola.

252 SpA Mega Charizard Y Solar Beam vs. 36 HP / 252+ SpD Alomomola: 348-410 (72.5 - 85.4%) -- guaranteed 2HKO after Leftovers recovery

Tons of people have rage quit seeing alo survive a solar beam and then returning it with mirror coat. Its just funny to see.

In the end i would also like to state that this thing has even won 2 vs 1 games for me.

Latias @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Surf

She was originally intended to heal wish pass onto mega hera if really needed but i realized it wasn't necessary so now i use her to wall break and punch holes into the opposing team making way for hera. Draco meteor kills something 90% of the time. Psyshock is a great STAB thunderbolt is for water types and for when i really need some parahax :P Surf for heatran and others. Latias can take a number of things on with her special bulk. I might just replace her with latios for more power but she works fine for me. Not much needs to be explained about this set.

Heatran @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Ancient Power
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roar
Specially defensive heatran is there to take Zard Y. It can take hits which hurt hera a lot like psyshocks and psychics and also dragon moves with ease. Focus blast from zard y won't ohko and i can return a good amount of damage with ancient power. Ancient power also deals with talonflame pretty well and i love that boost which only has 10% chance but it still happens. Lava plume is its main STAB ancient power for flying types and other things. WoW to burn things on the switch. A lot of people switch to azu when they see heatran and that is my chance to burn it. outrage trapped dragons can also be burned and dealt with. Roar to bring in tflame if rocks are up and beat it with the rocks damage :P. Heatran is a great poke and performs an important role for the team.

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Imposter
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Transform​

Here is the great revenge killer. Choice scarfed ditto is my answer to set up sweepers. The EVs are just random. I didn't know what to do so i just made that random spread. I use ditto for different purposes like transforming into baton passers and use their stat changes for myself. I mostly encore lock somethings like scolipede and smeargle( the most common baton passers) into boosting moves and then just use them with ditto to baton pass onto one of my own mons. Here is a replay that shows what i mean:
http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-151933716

Importable:

Heracross @ Heracronite
Ability: Moxie
EVs: 40 HP / 252 Atk / 216 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Close Combat
- Pin Missile
- Rock Blast
- Swords dance

Latias @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Thunderbolt
- Surf

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Mirror Coat
- Protect
- Scald

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Transform

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 252 SpD / 4 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Ancient Power
- Will-O-Wisp
- Roar

Shuckle @ Mental Herb
Calm Nature
- Sticky Web
- Encore
- Stealth Rock
- Toxic

I haven't seen much flaws in this team and its really my best one ever. I still believe there are flaws which i'm unaware of and that is why after playing with this team for a while, I've posted it here for you guys to have a look and help me out. Hope you like the team and don't forget to give me feedback and help. Thanks for reading.

Threat List:
Till now i have only faced problems with this guy:

If this thing gets a +2 and my ditto is dead its probably gg unless alo can burn it. My only bet against it is ditto.

Ok, well your team looks ok, but I spotted a few issues with it.

Firstly, Alomamola is a good pokemon in RU, but it is outclassed by many other pokemon in the OU environment. On top of that, is there any reason you've given it such odd EVs? Never EVER put into defense/sp.defense before HP, only exceptions being Chansey and Blissey. Regardless, I'd swap out Alomamola for something else. Same with Shuckle actually, good as they are, you'll find they will be easily crushed and set-up on by stronger members of the tier (I don't care if you have Ditto to counter this...)

I think Quagsire would be a good addition to your team in place of Alomamola.

Quagsire (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Unaware
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Stockpile/Yawn/Toxic
- Recover

Quaggy is so underrated, his immunity to status boosts is so useful. He can be your wall of the team. 3rd slot is up to you, Stockpile is nice to add even more bulk, Toxic is obvious, and Yawn is my personal touch, it forces switches, which again is nice combined with hazard damage.

Latias is fine, but if you're going offensive with it, you could go for Latios instead. If you do go for Latios, you could run Scarf/Specs to hit harder/faster, if you don't mind getting locked into your move ofcourse. If you chose to keep Latias, I'd strongly suggest taking advantage of its special defense, you can throw on Defog and Healing wish for support.

Next is Heatran, I've seen people using Ancient Power, but I'd say Stone Miss Edge would be better.

0- Atk Heatran Stone Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 292-344 (97.9 - 115.4%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
4 SpA Heatran Ancient Power vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 196-232 (65.7 - 77.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

As you can see, Stone Edge has a chance to kill, but Ancient Power doesn't. However, due to Stone Edge's shaky accuracy, I see no reason to remove Ancient Power, up to you.

Another thing, I personally would swap out Will-o-Wisp with Toxic, just for the status coverage. But again, it's personal preference, if you fell into a situation where you NEED a burn this turn, and Lava Plume doesn't get you the burn, you'll want to punch me. So either works. It's just an option.

Ditto is what it is I guess. But you need to fix it's stats. Run 252 HP and put the rest in whatever you please, the only stat that matters is HP (since all it's other stats will be your opponent's stats) Just remember to set it's IVs to whatever hidden power you desire. Ice or Grass are good choices.

(Assume stats are at 31 unless otherwise stated)
For Ice:
Atk: 30
Def: 30

For Grass:
Sp.Atk: 30

For your final team slot (in place of Shuckle) I'd use Ferrothorn. He's just so useful and has access to Leech Seed, as well as being able to set up Stealth Rock, while hitting fairly hard with his solid Atk.

Ferrothorn @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Atk / 168 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 0 Spe
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

Give them a spin and you'll see how useful these additions are. Hope I helped you with your team :)

Well, this is a very good team, but i think alomomola is not the best option. I will change it for vaporeon:
- Better bulk
- Better wish passer
- Can take a lot of hits
You should put vaporeon as a mixed wall:
Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Ability: Water Absorb
EVs: 252 HP / 116 Def / 140 SpD
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Scald
- Protect/ Ice beam/ Haze
Hope I helped you!

Firstly, Alomamola is a good pokemon in RU, but it is outclassed by many other pokemon in the OU environment. On top of that, is there any reason you've given it such odd EVs? Never EVER put into defense/sp.defense before HP, only exceptions being Chansey and Blissey. Regardless, I'd swap out Alomamola for something else. Same with Shuckle actually, good as they are, you'll find they will be easily crushed and set-up on by stronger members of the tier (I don't care if you have Ditto to counter this...)

Quagsire (F) @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Stockpile/Yawn/Toxic
- Recover

Quaggy is so underrated, his immunity to status boosts is so useful. He can be your wall of the team. 3rd slot is up to you, Stockpile is nice to add even more bulk, Toxic is obvious, and Yawn is my personal touch, it forces switches, which again is nice combined with hazard damage.

Latias is fine, but if you're going offensive with it, you could go for Latios instead. If you do go for Latios, you could run Scarf/Specs to hit harder/faster, if you don't mind getting locked into your move ofcourse. If you chose to keep Latias, I'd strongly suggest taking advantage of its special defense, you can throw on Defog and Healing wish for support.

Next is Heatran, I've seen people using Ancient Power, but I'd say Stone Miss Edge would be better.

0- Atk Heatran Stone Edge vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mega Charizard Y: 292-344 (97.9 - 115.4%) -- 81.3% chance to OHKO
4 SpA Heatran Ancient Power vs. 4 HP / 0 SpD Mega Charizard Y: 196-232 (65.7 - 77.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

As you can see, Stone Edge has a chance to kill, but Ancient Power doesn't. However, due to Stone Edge's shaky accuracy, I see no reason to remove Ancient Power, up to you.

Another thing, I personally would swap out Will-o-Wisp with Toxic, just for the status coverage. But again, it's personal preference, if you fell into a situation where you NEED a burn this turn, and Lava Plume doesn't get you the burn, you'll want to punch me. So either works. It's just an option.

Ditto is what it is I guess. But you need to fix it's stats. Run 252 HP and put the rest in whatever you please, the only stat that matters is HP (since all it's other stats will be your opponent's stats) Just remember to set it's IVs to whatever hidden power you desire. Ice or Grass are good choices.

For Ice:

For Grass:

For your final team slot (in place of Shuckle) I'd use Ferrothorn. He's just so useful and has access to Leech Seed, as well as being able to set up Stealth Rock, while hitting fairly hard with his solid Atk.

Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

Give them a spin and you'll see how useful these additions are. Hope I helped you with your team :)
First of all, thanks for your rate.TBH alomomola is really the only thing i don't wanna change right now. Alomomola has done quite a lot for me. Quag is great i know but wish passing helps me a lot to keep things alive. Also i forgot to mention this in the description, the 36 hp evs give it a magic leftovers number while still giving enough hp to pass enormous wishes. Its bulk is just fine for me as it can take hits really well. Quaggy can't pass wishes :l I will definitely use ferrothorn and see how much it helps. i'll save some replays with the suggested changes. Thanks again for the rate.

Here is my first replay witht he suggested changes except for alo.
http://play.pokemonshowdown.com/battle-ou-152301359
Ferro is kinda good but i still prefer how shuckle slows things down and can encore lock if predicted right. I'll have more plays though.

Last edited:
Well, this is a very good team, but i think alomomola is not the best option. I will change it for vaporeon:
- Better bulk
- Better wish passer
- Can take a lot of hits
Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Scald
Hope I helped you!
Thanks for rating. The reason why i have alo is that it has mirror coat making me able to kill one or two things. There are a lot of times that everything is dead except alo and it wins me the game with mirror coat. Thanks again.

Ferrothorn has been doing good. I like how i can pull some damage off from the barbs if i predict right.

Quagsire (F) @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Earthquake
- Scald
- Stockpile/Yawn/Toxic
- Recover

For Ice:

For Grass:

Relaxed Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Leech Seed
- Gyro Ball
- Power Whip

- Better bulk
- Better wish passer
- Can take a lot of hits
Vaporeon @ Leftovers
Bold Nature
- Wish
- Heal Bell
- Scald
Hope I helped you!
K Alomomola is not outclassed in OU in like any way. It has competition for a bulky water but it has the fantastic combo of Regenerator and Wish to make it worth using. And if anything Alomomola outclasses Vaporeon lol, it has better physical bulk and bigger wishes

Anyways this team looks okay. I feel a more offensive approach is necessary for sticky web, because you want to pressure your opponent enough so that they cant pull a defog off easily. But i really dont want to give you an entirely new team, so here goes. Im on a tablet rn so this isnt gonna look fancy

First of all Stallbreaker Mew has a really good matchup vs this team, so i recommend Jolly with Max Spe, because you should be able to outspeed stallbreaker mew(they creep for mega ttar) and ko with pin missile

Ditto should run 248hp/252def/8spd with relaxed and 0 ivs in speed. This helps you vs the never-gonna-happen-but-why-not ditto v ditto wars, as well as giving you HP ice.

I feel you could drop either surf or tbolt on latias for roost, giving you nice recovery that allows you to dish out more hits and stomach some. Also handy vs zard y. Id prob drop surf

Protect is kinda necessary on defensive tran imo, replace ancientpower for protect as you can roar out flame. I guess you could drop roar cuz your ditto would like to transform into something boosted. Also run 248hp/220spd/40spe to outspeed max speed adamant mawile(rare, but it doesnt detract much from bulk anyway)

An optional change is changing your shuckle to physically defensive.
Thats all, sorry this looks so ugly but hope i helped!
These pics are huge btw
Edit: was stupid tired and forgot you had sticky web, but its still a nice safety cushion. Also lets you outspeed -1 greninja iirc which is nice[/hide]

Last edited:
Reactions: AM
I've decided to stay with shuckle for now as i like how i can outspeed and kill stuff because of the web. Encore locking is also essential for a ditto take advantage of. What i need help with is that should i replace latios with something better?
suggestions plz

I dont think you should replace latios as long as it has choice scarf it can outspeed numerous of pokes. If you want a defensive sp. Attacker i think your latias set is fine, but i think replacing surf or thunderbolt w/ defog is better.
If you dont want defog user latias then i recommend you to use a spinner, for me right now excadrill is one of the best spinners but its up to you if you want a spinner or not.

Insignificant:
Incognito Ditto is good :D

Jacks0n

formerly grassycow
Hey Ahabb, I like the Idea of Mhera w/ Sticky web, but I see some pretty big flaws that would stop your team from being able to function really well throughout the match. Firstly Alomomola and Sp.defensive Heatran do not work on sticky web. Sticky web is supposed to be a fast paced and powerful playstyle, while alomomola and sp.defensive tran just sap away at you're momentum. Excadrill and mamoswine also seem very dangerous for your team. To fix up the momentum and excadrill problem I advize changing Rotom-Wash > Alomomola. This gives you a ground immunity, an excadrill check, a bird check and more momentum.

Secondly, you should change to Offensive Scarf Heatran > Sp.defensive Tran. Offensive tran is more powerful and fast, but with sticky web it will be even faster. You're team really dislikes Lati's and Mega Gardevoir, and tran can switch into them and spam its powerful stabs. These two changes should help the overall team function and help it have a better match-up vs a more varied group of team archetypes.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Spa / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Stone Edge
- Overheat
- Flash Cannon

Hey Jaks0n, this team stopped working so i decided to build a little similar team. I'll give you the pastebin. The team has the above same idea. Instead i'm just using zapdos in p'ace of rotom wash. It helps me more against flying spam. Scarf tran really works great. Many people think its a rock setter and boom overheat does a ton of damage to anything. Here is the team:
Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Fake Out
- Psycho Cut
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Flash Cannon
- Overheat
- Ancient Power

Alomomola @ Leftovers
Calm Nature
- Wish
- Mirror Coat
- Protect
- Scald

Shuckle @ Mental Herb
Calm Nature
- Sticky Web
- Stealth Rock
- Encore
- Toxic

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 HP / 168 Def / 68 SpA / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Roost
- Defog
- Heat Wave

Ditto @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 Def
Relaxed Nature
IVs: 30 Atk / 30 Def
- Transform

]
I'm thinking of using mega hera in place of mega cham but it has been doing great for now.

Hey Ahabb, I like the Idea of Mhera w/ Sticky web, but I see some pretty big flaws that would stop your team from being able to function really well throughout the match. Firstly Alomomola and Sp.defensive Heatran do not work on sticky web. Sticky web is supposed to be a fast paced and powerful playstyle, while alomomola and sp.defensive tran just sap away at you're momentum. Excadrill and mamoswine also seem very dangerous for your team. To fix up the momentum and excadrill problem I advize changing Rotom-Wash > Alomomola. This gives you a ground immunity, an excadrill check, a bird check and more momentum.

Secondly, you should change to Offensive Scarf Heatran > Sp.defensive Tran. Offensive tran is more powerful and fast, but with sticky web it will be even faster. You're team really dislikes Lati's and Mega Gardevoir, and tran can switch into them and spam its powerful stabs. These two changes should help the overall team function and help it have a better match-up vs a more varied group of team archetypes.

Rotom-Wash @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 212 Def / 44 Spe
Bold Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Volt Switch
- Pain Split
- Will-O-Wisp

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Spa / 252 Spe / 4 SpD
Modest Nature
- Earth Power
- Stone Edge
- Overheat
- Flash Cannon
uhhmmm mold breaker takes out levitate

you obviously don't play ou then....
You're kind of implying that Exca is only common on Sand teams, which isn't true. Exca is basically OU's premier spinner full stop, and its AV and Scarf sets are still as common as ever in all stages of the ladder.

Mold Breaker Exca is still a huge threat. For that reason, Zapdos is looking good over Rotom IMO.

you obviously don't play ou then....
You're kind of implying that Exca is only common on Sand teams, which isn't true. Exca is basically OU's premier spinner full stop, and its AV and Scarf sets are still as common as ever in all stages of the ladder.

Mold Breaker Exca is still a huge threat. For that reason, Zapdos is looking good over Rotom IMO.
yep mold breaker exca is a huge trauma to me thats why he is one of the threats in my ou team

sand offence excadrill is used like 70% of the time...
I agree with JMach. If you come up against AV Drill or Scarf Drill, both of which I have seen plenty of on ladder, they will OHKO Rotom with EQ. Zapdos gets hit with Rock Slide but he can hit back hard with Heat Wave.

Hey Jaks0n, this team stopped working so i decided to build a little similar team. I'll give you the pastebin. The team has the above same idea. Instead i'm just using zapdos in p'ace of rotom wash. It helps me more against flying spam. Scarf tran really works great. Many people think its a rock setter and boom overheat does a ton of damage to anything. Here is the team:

I'm thinking of using mega hera in place of mega cham but it has been doing great for now.
If you decide to use Sticky Web, your team must be completely designed to take advantage of it as well as its potential removal, because Defog is everywhere. Therefore, I highly recommend that you add a Defiant abuser like Bisharp or Thundurus-I. This can dissuade the other team from using Defog, and if they use it you will have an extremely threatening +2 Bisharp or Thundurus-I.

You could also add more slow attackers who take advantage of Sticky Web like Crawdaunt, Diggersby, and Breloom.

Since sticky web teams are quite offensive in general I would switch out alomomola for a more offensive watertype that can effectively make use of the sticky web. Because you are running shuckle as your websetter you don't want your opponent to spin or defog them away which is easily done on defensive mons like heatran and alomomola. For heatran I suggest an assault vest set to not lose the bulk on the special side and be a great threat on the offensive side aswell.
The water type that should replace alomomola might be jolly azumarill or possibly offensive jellicent to also block potential spins.
~Call me 911

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)