ORAS OU Mega Latias Bulky Offense

Hello I am Sadamin2 but im posting as Damin2142 as my old account since I forgot both passwords but cannot really be bothered dealing with that. I decided to make a team based around Mega Latios due to its incredible bulk and ability to check pokemon very well. This team's function is to slowly wear down the oponent with mons which check alot of the ou tier and then finish off with keldeo, heatran or Latias itself.

Teambuilding Process:

Latias is here as it is the pokemon this team is centered around. Latias checks many fearsome threats such as Mega Charizard-Y, Keldeo, Volcanion, Thunderus and Zapdos however, it is prone to status conditions so I needed a monster to soak up status in which I chose

Gliscor is my status absorber and main pokemon to use knock off, it is here as my setup sweeper although that does not happen much but in many cases this pokemon took out M Gardevoir who is a big threat, however I would like to use a pokemon with more offensive presence and who can check more pokemon but I still cannot find any replacements.

Ferrothorn offers important resistances and decent special defense to take ice attacks, it is a very reliable electric check except for Manectric and spreads paralysis via T-wave. It had knock off before which is to be replaced with either leech seed or gyroball or possibly spikes. Ferrothorn is also used to punish rapid spinners and contact attacks which don't do as much damage.

Togekiss is my defogger and status remover, this pokemon must be kept healthy throughout the battle so that M-Latias doesnt get worn down too much, this pokemon replaced zapdos as my physically defensive defogger as zapdos didnt really offer much to the team and I tend to chip off opponents very well with serene grace Air Slash, but like gliscor I am in search of a bulky offensive pokemon who can replace this as I need something against Manectric and Pidgeot

Choice specs Keldeo is one of my 2 hard hitters of this team which spams scalds to threaten switches and such, it is also my late game cleaner and check to dark type pokemon. Not much else to say about this pokemon

Scarf Heatran is my other hard hitter which resists grass types and also absorbs status

Team Build:

Draco FTW (Latias-Mega) @ Latiasite
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 248 HP / 8 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Psychic
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Recover

The main pokemon, latios functions as a very hard to faint pokemon with bolt beam coverage and psyshock (for M-Venusaur) Its max speed with timit for speed ties againts mega metagross and to outspeed keldeo. Its name is a troll which may force out switches for a quick roost. This pokemon should be used straight from the beggining of the battle, soaking up attacks and slowly wearing down pokemon to ease the sweep for keldeo and heatran.

Gliscor @ Toxic Orb
Ability: Poison Heal
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Def / 200 SpD / 56 Spe
Careful Nature
- Earthquake
- Knock Off
- Swords Dance
- Roost
Typical swords dance Gliscor which can be changed into the toxic stall one too. Its purpose is to spam knock off and handle slow defensive pokemon, 200 spD ev's to make this pokemon a mixed wall.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 248 HP / 4 Atk / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Sassy Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Thunder Wave
- Protect
- Knock Off/Spikes/Leech Seed
This ferrothorn is passive but taunt pokemon can be taken care of with my offensive pokemon. Should be used to take in ice-type attacks and on physical attacks it resists. Thunder Wave is to cripple fast pokemon. Rocks should be set up first and then the defensive core of Lati Glisc and Ferro can force switches and wear down the opponent.

Togekiss @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 248 HP / 128 Def / 132 SpD
Bold Nature
- Air Slash
- Heal Bell
- Defog
- Roost
Keep this pokemon alive as defog and Heal Bell saves the team, a more physically defensive build can be made if you want.

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Specs
Ability: Justified
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Icy Wind
- Hidden Power [Grass]
Keldeo should be brought up at the end or as a check to ground types it is my sweeper spamming scalds

Heatran @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Flash Fire
Timid Nature
- Lava Plume
- Flash Cannon
- Ancient Power
- Earth Power
This pokemon is used as a revenge killer and can get some surprise kills as not many scarf heatrans are seen so often nowadays, plus my only check to M-pidgeot and Serperior after a few leaf storms

Threats :
Mega pidgeot - hits most of my team very hard except heatran, still dealing 40%
Mega Manectric - Just like pidgeot but can be worn down with scarftran
Chansey - Takes ages to take down and if it's in a slow stall team it's gg

If you guys have any suggestions to improve this team to take on the ladder more better I would appreciate it.

Hey that's a very cool team, I'm a big fan of Mega Latias who doesn't see enough use. There is definitely some nice type synergy to the team and I think with one or two adjustments it can be even scarier.

The first thing I notice is that building around Mega Latias, you haven't run the CM set which allows it to be a true win con. Running Bolt-beam is a great idea and while it may seem counter intuitive I would actually opt for Calm Mind > Psychic. Running no stab lowers your immediate power, but you have a tonne of that on the special side in Specs Keldeo, so I think the ability to set up past defensive checks late game is worth it. The spread you have is still the best imo, allowing you to exploit the excellent 110 speed tier but retaining maximum bulk.

The major change I would make to the team is to go with Sp def Heatran > Choice Scarf and Scarfed Tyranitar > Ferrothorn. These changes together make you much less weak to Talonflame, Clefable, and opposing Latis. Scarfed Heatran is worn down very quickly if it your only Flying resist, but a sp def set can check Talonflame for the majority of the game. It is also a better answer to Clefable since you won't be switching your fastest pokemon in on a potential T-wave. Since it gives you a different Stealth Rock setter Ferrothorn can make way for something that synergizes more offensively with Mega Latias. Tyranitar gives you a way to remove opposing Latis who beat Bolt-Beam Mega Latias 1v1, and also a means of reliably revenge killing Gengar who menaces the team. It isn't the fastest scarfer ny any means but it still gives you a nice speed tier, and you have good answers to some of the faster pokemon like Mega Lop, Weavile and Mega Mane anyway.

Gliscor and Togekiss seem fine and give you a better matchup vs stall, as well as providing defensive checks for a number of important mons.

Since you would now have a t-tar and thus the best way of killing opposing Latis, I would suggest changing Keld's moves. Hydro Pump > Icy Wind lets it function properly as a wallbreaker and just makes it much easier to take out mons like AV Torn, who only needs a little chip to be Ohkod by Hydro after rocks. HP Grass is an interesting idea to hit bulky waters but my personal preference is for Focus Blast > HP Grass. This lets you lure in pokemon like defensive Rotom-W, Tangrowth, Alomomola etc. and smacks them as hard as possible. It does mean Starmie and Slowbro are safer to switch in but they are both beaten by Mega Latias.

Here are the sets I had in mind

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Stone Edge
- Pursuit
- Superpower
- Crunch

Latias-Mega (F) @ Latiasite
EVs: 248 HP / 8 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Thunderbolt
- Ice Beam
- Recover

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 188 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Taunt
- Lava Plume
- Toxic

Keldeo-Resolute @ Choice Specs
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Hydro Pump
- Secret Sword
- Focus Blast

Hope these thoughts are useful :)

Hi. Nice team you have got.

Here are the list of threats to your team I noticed:
  • Mega Medicham - it can easily plow through your team with careful playing
  • Keldeo + Pursuit - this isn't rare and if MLatias somehow gets removed or ends up at low health you're in trouble
  • Bulky CM Waters - you can chip them but you don't have a good way of stopping them early
  • Gengar - 0 switch-ins, especially if it is running Icy Wind
  • BirdSpam - Heatran is your only countermeasure and it gets worn down rather quickly
The general problem of your team right now is that it doesn't have super reliable switch-ins to many wallbreakers. This is made even more detrimental considering the fact that your team can't really keep up any offensive pressure and momentum, hence giving these wallbreakers chances to switch in.

Therefore, I'll work on these problems.

Here are some suggestions:

Calm Mind > Psychic; Surf & Psyshock > Ice Beam & Thunderbolt
One thing I dislike about your team is its lack of win-cons. Replacing Psychic with CM means that MLatias can become your primary win-con as MLatias can set up pretty easily late-game and sweep your opponent's team. CM also gives you extra bulk, allowing you to check some Special Attackers better. I went with Surf & Psyshock over BoltBeam for 2 reasons. The first reason is that my changes later on would make the coverage of BoltBeam less necessary than before. The second reason would be that I dislike losing CM wars, hence the addition of Psyshock. Surf complements Psyshock's coverage well. Also, Psyshock is STAB which means that neutral hits won't hit like wet toilet paper.

AV Torn-T > Gliscor

This change gives you a good pivot into Special Attackers, compromising a win-con and a good ground immunity. The reason why I suggested this change is that your team struggles to switch into many Special moves such as Gengar's Shadow Ball and also acts as another check to Serperior. The added plus of Torn-T is that it can create momentum on your side really well, hence reducing the number of times your opponent gets to switch a threat in. In addition, Torn-T has a good Speed tier, meaning that you can use this to revenge kill multiple fast threats. Utility moves like Knock Off are really handy at times too.

Rotom-W > Ferrothorn

This change is made in conjunction with the previous. With the replacement of Gliscor, your team is now made weaker to Sand Offense. Rotom-W patches this problem up rather perfectly. Not only does it do this, but it also helps your team against its previous weaknesses against Bulky CM Waters and BirdSpam. This is only half of it. Other than patching up what you lost with the replacement of Gliscor, Rotom-W forms a VoltTurn core with Torn-T, allowing you to keep up momentum against your opponent, limiting free switch-ins as much as possible. It has rather good synergy with Torn-T too, covering each other's weaknesses pretty well. I chose to run 128 Speed on this thing so as to outspeed Adamant Bisharp and hit it with a Wisp before it gets to wreak havoc on your team.

Clefable > Togekiss

With Gliscor gone, you now lack a status absorber. Clefable fulfils this role perfectly with its ability: Magic Guard. With CM, Clefable gives you yet another win-con after losing one in the form of Gliscor. At the same time, Clefable is immune to entry hazards, making it difficult to wear down, in contrast to Togekiss, which takes 25%. Since your team is not really Rocks weak, I don't see why Togekiss should stay. The most important thing Clefable does is switching into the myriad of Physical Attackers in this tier. By this, I'm referring to things like MLop, MMedicham and Scarf Lando-T. It also switches into Latios, which is definitely helpful since Heatran doesn't appreciate a Surf. Of course, to do this effectively, it has to run max Defense.

Hydro Pump > HP Grass; consider Focus Blast > Icy Wind
Hydro Pump is mandatory on Keldeo as the extra power on it allows you to get kills on bulkier targets which include Clefable, Mew and Jirachi. Focus Blast as the final move is definitely something to consider as you can surprise Rotom-W, which annoys your team a lot. The extra damage also allows you to get a better roll on MMetagross (on the turn it Megas) and even OHKO PhysDef Tangrowth, both of which are a nuisance.

SpDef > Scarf
With the replacement of Ferrothorn and Gliscor, you need Rocks and a better measure against Stall. SpDef Heatran does both well. With good natural bulk and defensive typing, Heatran does a good job checking a myriad of threats in the tier, from the biggest ones like Clefable to smaller ones like Klefki. Although you might miss the offensive presence of Scarf, you would really, really appreciate the defensive utility of SpDef Tran. With Lava Plume and Taunt, Heatran does a really good job against Stall and can even act as an emergency button to Bulky CM Waters with Toxic. Therefore, I feel that this change would benefit your team.

What do my changes give you?
With my changes, your team now can maintain momentum and some offensive pressure on your opponent, limiting switch-ins and giving Keldeo the chance to strike safely. You now have a way to come in on most of / all the big threats in the tier yet limiting your opponents' opportunities at the same time.

Here are the sets:
Latias @ Latiasite
EVs: 252 HP / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Psyshock
- Surf

Tornadus-Therian @ Assault Vest
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 96 HP / 160 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Hurricane
- Heat Wave
- U-turn
- Knock Off

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Def / 4 SpD
Bold Nature
- Calm Mind
- Moonblast
- Thunder Wave
- Soft-Boiled

Keldeo @ Choice Specs
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hydro Pump
- Focus Blast

Heatran @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

That's it for my rate. Hope I helped, thanks for reading and have a nice day! n_n

Thank you very much Tinberz and Eoin482 I replaced psychic with calm mind, made my heatran spdef and replaced togekiss with clefable and its doing well :D

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)