OU Mega Latias

TheEnder

a petal in the wind
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion

QC:
ben gay / Jukain / aim
GP: Psywaves / P Squared

Overview
########

With its Mega Evolution having increased bulk and offenses, as well as keeping its good Speed stat, Latias can be quite a troublesome Pokemon to deal with. Thanks to its great defensive typing, which grants it many useful resistances, and access to Calm Mind and reliable recovery, Latias is a certainly force to be reckoned with. Unfortunately, it struggles to beat common Steel- and Dark-types, due to mostly being limited to its STAB moves when it comes to coverage. In addition to this, Unaware Clefable completely walls it, lowering Latias's usefulness.

Calm Mind
########
name: Calm Mind
move 1: Calm Mind
move 2: Roost
move 3: Reflect Type / Substitute
move 4: Stored Power / Psyshock
ability: Levitate
item: Latiasite
evs: 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 Spe
nature: Bold

Moves
========

With Calm Mind boosting its Special Attack and Special Defense, Mega Latias can turn into a fearsome sweeper after just a few boosts. Roost gives Mega Latias reliable recovery, which goes very well alongside its good bulk, giving it great longevity. Reflect Type enables Latias to freely set up on Pokemon that would normally force it out, such as Ferrothorn, Mega Metagross, Tyranitar, and most Fairy-types. Substitute is an option over Reflect Type, as it lets Mega Latias avoid status conditions, such as burn, paralysis, and poison, and play mind games with Sucker Punch users. Stored Power is Latias's primary choice of a Psychic-type STAB move, as it is incredibly powerful after many Calm Mind boosts and is capable of breaking through even the bulkiest Pokemon. However, its damage output is low without any boosts, which is unwanted in many scenarios. Therefore, Psyshock is an option over Stored Power if having immediate power is preferred over the ability to easily sweep after multiple Calm Mind boosts. Running mono-Psychic coverage leaves Mega Latias unable to damage Dark-types, which are moderately common in the current metagame. Therefore, Dragon Pulse is an option over Reflect Type or Substitute to be able to hit most Dark-types for neutral damage. Hidden Power Fighting and Hidden Power Fire are also options over Reflect Type or Substitute if OHKOing Bisharp, 2HKOing Tyranitar, and dealing massive damage to Mega Scizor and Ferrothorn is more valuable to your team than Reflect Type and Substitute's utility or a Dragon-type STAB move.

Set Details
========

The given EVs in Speed let Latias outspeed neutral-natured base 100s, while the remaining EVs are put in HP and Defense to make setting up an easier task. For even more bulk, some EVs can be moved from Speed to Defense. A spread of 248 HP / 180 Def / 80 Speed outspeeds Adamant Excadrill and has an incredible amount of physical bulk. Latiasite is necessary for Latias to Mega Evolve and get the increased bulk it needs to act as a setup sweeper.

Usage Tips
========

If Latias is running Stored Power as its only attacking move, all Dark-types need to be taken care of before Latias can try to set up. Pokemon with Taunt also shut Latias down, so removing these foes before trying to sweep is advised. Mega Evolving as early as possible to gain the increased bulk is smart, as switching in and out becomes easier. However, if there is another potential Mega Evolution on Latias's team, waiting to Mega Evolve may confuse the opponent. Mega Latias fits well on defensive teams, thanks to being a great win condition with the ability to sweep many teams late-game. Using teammates that complement it defensively rather than offensively can lead to success.

Team Options
========

Fighting-types such as Keldeo, Infernape, Breloom, Chesnaught, and Terrakion make for great teammates, thanks to their ability to take on the Dark-types that threaten Latias. Strong physical attackers such as Swords Dance Mega Scizor, Swords Dance Diggersby, and Choice Band Tyranitar are also capable of breaking through Latias. Therefore, defensive Landorus-T, Hippowdon, and Keldeo make for good teammates, as they are capable of taking these threats on. Pokemon that complement Mega Latias defensively by taking on some of the Pokemon Latias is unable to handle make for good teammates. Jirachi and Dragalge are capable of beating Clefable, while Hippowdon and Gliscor can handle Bisharp. Lastly, entry hazard support is greatly appreciated, as Latias forces many switches during a battle. Good setters of entry hazards include Ferrothorn, Hippowdon, and Chesnaught.

Last edited:
Latias certainly seems like a neat mega, but still plagued by Bisharp and Tyranitar. Maybe something like Keldeo, Conkeldurr, or strong fighting-types as team options?

Albacore

sludge bomb is better than sludge wave
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Mention that you can run really anywhere from 80 to 176 Speed. Here are some of the speed tiers in case you need them :
  • 80 Speed for Adamant Excadrill which I assume you already know
  • 116 Speed outspeeds +Speed Base 80s, specifically Mamoswine, Gallade and Gardevoir pre-evo
  • 128 Speed outspeeds Jolly Gyarados
  • 136 Speed outspeeds max Speed neutral-natured Kyurem-B and Gliscor (which doesn't really exist tbh but better be safe)
  • 160 Speed outspeeds Mega-Pinsir and Mega-Heracross pre-evo
  • 176 Speed outspeeds max speed base neutral base 100s
Also slash Refresh with Sub as a way to stallbreak better (specifically, avoids a string annoying 50/50s with Chansey)

Karxrida

Death to the Undying Savage
is a Community Contributor Alumnus
I think HP Fighting should get a mention to deal with T-Tar, Bisharp, and beat Heatran so it doesn't just use Roar on you and waste you boosts.

Has anyone tested a fully physically defensive/specially defensive set that's essentially the first set but with Defog over Calm Mind. With such insane bulk and so many usable resistences it's gotta be a disgustingly reliable Defogger.

I think HP Fighting should get a mention to deal with T-Tar, Bisharp, and beat Heatran so it doesn't just use Roar on you and waste you boosts.
This would work, but it's kind of situational. Latias gets screwed over by Bisharp's Sucker Punch, so unless she hits it on the switch, it's pretty much not gonna be a very good option. Tyranitar's a different story, though, as it only gets Crunch. But Choice Scarf variants can outspeed and finish off Latias before she can unleash the attack.

Has anyone tested a fully physically defensive/specially defensive set that's essentially the first set but with Defog over Calm Mind. With such insane bulk and so many usable resistences it's gotta be a disgustingly reliable Defogger.
I would think this would be good, as Stored Power can only really do so much. The Mega Calm Mind set listed here is literally hard countered by Bisharp if it doesn't run Dragon Pulse. Even then, the only time Latias can kill it is at +4 where it has a 37% chance of OHKOing it.

Poek

squadala
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnuswon the 3rd Official Ladder Tournamentis a defending SPL Championis a Two-Time Past SCL Champion
Big Chungus Winner
I would, at the very least, run 88 spe for timid heatran, so you can set-up a sub on it before he does something stupid like toxicing you

An eventual problem of running, in my view, Roost + Substitute + Calm Mind is being Taunt Bait. Thereby, I am not sure that SubCM with Roost is the most viable with Mega-Latias, not to mention it would limit itself running one attack and one only.
If it uses Dragon Pulse, any fairy-type forces it out and SubCM would go to waste. It's also a free turn to your opponent.
If it uses Psychic/Psyshock/Stored Power, it would have even more difficulties against Bisharp and Tyranitar, again getting forced out and Pursuit-bait.
It limits itself running a coverage move as its only attacking option. Shadow Ball, Hidden Power Fire, Hidden Power Fighting, Charge Beam... aren't even really viable.
En résumé, every attack it may run on which there's immunity is no good.

AccidentalGreed

Sweet and bitter as chocolate.
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
I generally run 116 EVs on Bold Mega Latias to lessen the risk of being hit by Gardevoir's Hyper Voice pre-Mega Evolving, as well as avoid STAB Icicle Crash from any Mamoswine who's figured out that this Latias is slower than usual. I'd make the main spread somewhat like this, but that's just me.

An eventual problem of running, in my view, Roost + Substitute + Calm Mind is being Taunt Bait. Thereby, I am not sure that SubCM with Roost is the most viable with Mega-Latias, not to mention it would limit itself running one attack and one only.
If it uses Dragon Pulse, any fairy-type forces it out and SubCM would go to waste. It's also a free turn to your opponent.
If it uses Psychic/Psyshock/Stored Power, it would have even more difficulties against Bisharp and Tyranitar, again getting forced out and Pursuit-bait.
It limits itself running a coverage move as its only attacking option. Shadow Ball, Hidden Power Fire, Hidden Power Fighting, Charge Beam... aren't even really viable.
En résumé, every attack it may run on which there's immunity is no good.
You're right. Taunt is a problem.

...and that's why common sense dictates that you don't set up on Taunt users. I know the OP hasn't made it clear yet, but this Latias typically performs well by setting up after checks and counters are weakened, so, while Taunt and Dark-type Pokemon are a problem, they should have already been taken care of, so Latias doesn't have to deal with them or can finish them off. Same also applies to utilizing other coverage moves. Being walled by something really isn't nothing new as far as typical Latias sets are concerned.

Sorry, but simply stating obvious facts problems while not suggesting any viable, effective solutions isn't exactly a good way to go about here. You have to assume that most of us are already aware of its problems unless stated otherwise.

Last edited:
Though this hasn't been touched in a little while, Bold is more efficient than Timid and should be the nature of choice. All practical spreads for CM M-Latias want 248 HP and then a certain speed investment depending what you want to creep. Rest in defense.

Running Timid > Bold to achieve the speed creeping means the defense stat ends up lower than if you run Bold > Timid and hit the same speed.

TheEnder

a petal in the wind
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
If you want to be hitting 300 Speed, of which I think is a great benchmark for defensive Pokemon (can be lowered to 276, ofc), then Timid is the most efficient nature. While you may think that "oh, I want a lot of defense, lets run Bold" is correct, you gain of extra points by using a nature that boosts the Pokemon's highest stats. For example, a Timid nature with the current EV spread hits 363 HP / 264 Def / 300 Spe. A Bold nature with the EV spread 248 HP / 84 Def / 176 Spe hits 363 HP / 260 Def / 300 Spe. Timid is the preferred nature for the Speed benchmark.

Also I'm back from holidays and sickness, will be doing this shortly.

No problem :)

I've become a big fan of M-Latias (Sub with SP mainly) because it sets up on a lot of things and wins games. The biggest issue for me is the amount of team support required for it to succeed. Fighting type partner is obvious but I've also had success paired with Specs Sylveon. Nukes M-Sableye and helps lure in and soften/kill Steels with HP Fire. An offensive core with M-Latias, SpecsSylv and fighting type (typically Keld/Ches/Conk/Cobalion - they each have their merits) is the best way to build around her, in my experience.

i would slash reflect type before substitute and deslash dragon pulse tbh. reflect type pretty much has the same functionality as sub despite avoiding status, but lets you not be pursuit bait, sets up on stuff that would otherwise force you to switch(ferro,scizor,metagross,fairies) and checks things that the rest of your team might not be able to handle well. dpulse you can just mention in moves along with hp fight/fire as it doesn't really hit anything notable that other coverage moves don't. m-latias also functions well on stall by virtue of its def typing, bulk, defog support, and acting as a win condition so you can mention that somewhere. in oo take out 3 atks+roost latias, that isn't really putting it to good use :| . 1/3

Does this really need its own Other Options and Checks and Counters sections, though? The other Megas share an analysis with their normal forms, so I figured that this would just be a single set analysis for Mega Latias rather than a full scale one.

TheEnder

a petal in the wind
i would slash reflect type before substitute and deslash dragon pulse tbh. reflect type pretty much has the same functionality as sub despite avoiding status, but lets you not be pursuit bait, sets up on stuff that would otherwise force you to switch(ferro,scizor,metagross,fairies) and checks things that the rest of your team might not be able to handle well. dpulse you can just mention in moves along with hp fight/fire as it doesn't really hit anything notable that other coverage moves don't. m-latias also functions well on stall by virtue of its def typing, bulk, defog support, and acting as a win condition so you can mention that somewhere. in oo take out 3 atks+roost latias, that isn't really putting it to good use :| . 1/3
did this
Does this really need its own Other Options and Checks and Counters sections, though? The other Megas share an analysis with their normal forms, so I figured that this would just be a single set analysis for Mega Latias rather than a full scale one.
i dont know, really: Jukain

For Team Options, you could add that pursuit trappers like Bisharp and Tyranitar are good because they help with pokemon like opposing Lati, Gengar, and Jirachi

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)