ORAS OU Mega-Lopunny and Gengar HO (1671 ELO Peak/75% GXE)

Did my RMT analysis want to make you watch my OU Live of the team at the bottom?

• Total voters
Mega-Lopunny and Gengar Hyper Offense

Hey how's it going guys? I decided to make an offensive team built around Mega-Lopunny and Gengar. I thought the two would have amazing synergy, and it turns out they really do! I have progressed all the way up to 1671 ELO on the OU Ladder with this team! This team is very solid and one of the best teams I have ever constructed. I highly suggestion you try the team out for yourself and please give me any kind of feedback you may have. Thanks guys, enjoy! :)

TEAMBUILDING PROCESS:
  • First I started off with my offensive core, one fast physical attacker and one fast special attacker.
  • Next, I added hazard removal and a Healing Wish user to compliment my relatively frail offensive core.
  • I needed a Talonflame/Flying check and something to deal with bulky Water types, so Thundurus was chosen.
  • I was weak to Psychic types like Choice Scarf Jirachi, so Bisharp was chosen as a hard counter.
  • Needed a reliable Electric check/Heatran killer also Stealth Rock. Mamo also provides nice Ice priority.
THE TEAM:

Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch
- Fake Out

I chose Mega-Lopunny because, it has incredible STAB attacks. Both STAB attacks are over 100 base power which is insane. Combine that with Mega-Lopunny's access to priority in Fake Out/Quick Attack and it's extremely high base Speed, and you have yourself quite a threat. After Mega-Evolving Lopunny gets the ability Scrappy which allows it to hit Ghost types with it's STAB attacks (Normal/Fighting). With Ice Punch as a nice coverage option for Dragon, Ground, and Flying types, there is very little that wants to switch into Mega-Lopunny.

Gengar @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb/Sludge Wave
- Focus Blast
- Will-O-Wisp

Gengar is Mega-Lopunny's best friend. Gengar usually deals with whatever Mega-Lopunny struggles with. This includes Clefable, Slowbro, Mega-Metagross, Lati@s, Azumarill, Rotom-Wash, Skarmory, Jirachi(not Scarfed), Landorus-Therian, and Mew. Gengar also provides my team with a Will-O-Wisp user to cripple physical attackers on the other team. If you can manage to knock out your opponents Gengar checks/counters it is really easy to sweep with this monster.

Latias @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Healing Wish

Latias is probably the best Defog user for hazard removal in the competitive format, that's pretty much the main reason why it is on the team. Healing Wish gives me the opportunity to "revive" one of my Pokemon that has been worn down in the match and/or has an annoying status on it. Latias is one of my best answers to slower Dragons like Tank Chomp and Dragonite. Latias also provides nice Speed and decent bulk to help the team.

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]/[Fire]
- Nasty Plot/Focus Blast
- Thunder Wave/Nasty Plot

Thundurus can be ran a couple ways on this team. I prefer the moves that are on the left, but I have also found success with all of them. If you're worried about Mega-Scizor and Ferrothorn, then run HP Fire. If you're worried about Dragon/Ground types, then run HP Ice. I like Nasty Plot over Focus Blast because, it allows me to set up on defensive opposing Pokemon. Plus I already have Gengar as a Focus Blast user. I think Prankster Thunder Wave is crucial to cripple fast threats that could potentially sweep my team like Mega-Zard-X, Volcarona, and Dragonite. Thundurus is my main answer to bulky Water types and Flying types that check Mega-Lopunny.

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
EVs: 84 HP / 252 Atk / 172 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Bisharp is an important part to the team. With Defiant, I can pressure opposing Defog users to think twice before getting rid of my Stealth Rocks. Bisharp is my best set up sweeper on the team. Sucker Punch gives me reliable priority to knock out fast threats on the opposing team. My specific set is designed to outspeed Mega-Diancie before Mega-Evolution and to tank a Draco Meteor from Lati@s. I chose Black Glasses over Life Orb to prolong Bisharps life and let it clean up games without taking extra damage. Bisharp is also a nice Fairy check if Gengar goes down.

Mamoswine @ Cheri Berry
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Natural Gift
- Stealth Rock

This is the most interesting set on the team. It is the lure, and a very nice Steel type killer. Natural Gift (Fire) allows me to take out Mega-Scizors and Ferrothorns with ease. However, if you decide to run HP Fire on Thundurus, then DO NOT use Natural Gift on Mamoswine. Instead, run either Focus Sash or Life Orb with Icicle Crash over Natural Gift. My specific set is to outspeed Timid full Speed invested Heatran. Mamoswine is my best answer to knock out Heatran and also has a nice STAB Ice type priority. Mamoswine is my Electric immunity and my Stealth Rock setter as well.​

• 252 Atk Mega Lopunny High Jump Kick vs. 252 HP / 60 Def Ferrothorn: 332-392 (94.3 - 111.3%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Shadow Ball vs. 252 HP / 24 SpD Slowbro: 398-471 (101 - 119.5%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Gengar Sludge Wave vs. 252 HP / 84+ SpD Clefable: 369-437 (93.6 - 110.9%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
  • 184 SpA Life Orb Latias Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Medicham: 266-316 (101.9 - 121%) -- guaranteed OHKO
  • 252 SpA Life Orb Thundurus Thunderbolt vs. 252 HP / 4 SpD Suicune: 330-390 (81.6 - 96.5%) -- 62.5% chance to OHKO after Stealth Rock
  • 252+ Atk Black Glasses Bisharp Sucker Punch vs. 248 HP / 68 Def Latias: 338-402 (93.1 - 110.7%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO
  • +2 252+ Atk Black Glasses Bisharp Knock Off (97.5 BP) vs. 252 HP / 136+ Def Amoonguss: 415-490 (96 - 113.4%) -- 75% chance to OHKO
  • 252 Atk Mamoswine Ice Shard vs. 240 HP / 176+ Def Garchomp: 208-252 (49.8 - 60.4%) -- 99.6% chance to 2HKO
  • 252 Atk Mamoswine Natural Gift vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Scizor: 264-312 (93.9 - 111%) -- 56.3% chance to OHKO

THREATLIST:

/
If it is normal Banded Scizor you're ok, if it is SD Mega Scizor do not let it set up freely.
Mega-Lopunny is the only reliable check if it has Low Kick. Don't let Mega-Lopunny take a lot of damage if you're opponent has a Weavile. Also getting up Stealth Rocks helps vs. Weavile.

If it is Choice Scarf, Bisharp can handle it well, but if it is Life Orb with Earth Power then only Latias and Mega-Lopunny can kill it reliably. Don't rely on Focus Blast from Gengar or Thundurus.

THE TEAM IN ACTION/PROOF OF PEAK:

I hope you guys will try out the team for yourselves and let me know what could be tweaked on it. Thanks for your input! :)

-Rezilient

Last edited:
IMPORT:
Lopunny-Mega @ Lopunnite
Ability: Limber
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Return
- High Jump Kick
- Ice Punch
- Fake Out

Gengar @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Shadow Ball
- Sludge Bomb
- Focus Blast
- Will-O-Wisp

Latias @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Healing Wish

Thundurus @ Life Orb
Ability: Prankster
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 Def
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Nasty Plot
- Thunder Wave

Bisharp @ Black Glasses
Ability: Defiant
Adamant Nature
- Knock Off
- Sucker Punch
- Iron Head
- Swords Dance

Mamoswine @ Cheri Berry
Ability: Oblivious
EVs: 24 HP / 252 Atk / 232 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Natural Gift
- Stealth Rock

Sobi

Banned deucer.
hi there, really nice team here, especially like the use of Cheri Berry Mamo since innovative sets are really interesting to use. i actually built a really similar team to this a few weeks ago with gengar and mega lopunny and i was discussing this team on ps with some ou raters because there were lots of different ways to go with the team. anyway enough of my rambling and onto the rate

firstly, your team is quite weak to opposing bisharp because if lopunny dies, you've only got focus blast on gengar to rely on, which is rather unreliable, so that's why you should use a jolly nature over adamant nature on bisharp as this outspeeds other bisharp, allowing you to set up before them and outspeed a bunch of other pokemon in the process as well. i also recommend you go lum berry over black glasses because it checks thunder wave slowbro and this helps out lopunny cuz it doesn't like getting slowed down or burnt by slowbro / mew, so getting rid of them is appreciated.

secondly, your mamoswine evs are really weird because the bulk ain't that significant, you should really just go max speed instead of 232 speed because the bulk doesn't really help with anything and you're gonna want to outspeed more mons especially with a natural gift lure.

finally, i would suggest using lefties over life orb on thundurus because it getting worn down is really risky especially since you've got it setting up and it's your primary flying resist so you don't want it to get worn down easily. another nitpicky thing is moving the 4 evs in special def to def just to help with scizor.

another optional change is to go with a pain split > wisp on gengar to wear down bulkier pokemon like hippowdon because they can prove to be nuisances for your pokemon especially if they're carrying wisp or t-wave.

that's all i got, gl hope i helped :)

jolly > adamant, lum > black glasses
max speed > 232 speed
lefties > life orb, 4 def > 4 spd
pain split > will o wisp

Last edited:
hi there, really nice team here, especially like the use of Cheri Berry Mamo since innovative sets are really interesting to use. i actually built a really similar team to this a few weeks ago with gengar and mega lopunny and i was discussing this team on ps with some ou raters because there were lots of different ways to go with the team. anyway enough of my rambling and onto the rate

firstly, your team is quite weak to opposing bisharp because if lopunny dies, you've only got focus blast on gengar to rely on, which is rather unreliable, so that's why you should use a jolly nature over adamant nature on bisharp as this outspeeds other bisharp, allowing you to set up before them and outspeed a bunch of other pokemon in the process as well. i also recommend you go lum berry over black glasses because it checks thunder wave slowbro and this helps out lopunny cuz it doesn't like getting slowed down or burnt by slowbro / mew, so getting rid of them is appreciated.

secondly, your mamoswine evs are really weird because the bulk ain't that significant, you should really just go max speed instead of 232 speed because the bulk doesn't really help with anything and you're gonna want to outspeed more mons especially with a natural gift lure.

finally, i would suggest using lefties over life orb on thundurus because it getting worn down is really risky especially since you've got it setting up and it's your primary flying resist so you don't want it to get worn down easily. another nitpicky thing is moving the 4 evs in special def to def just to help with scizor.

another optional change is to go with a pain split > wisp on gengar to wear down bulkier pokemon like hippowdon because they can prove to be nuisances for your pokemon especially if they're carrying wisp or t-wave.

that's all i got, gl hope i helped :)

jolly > adamant, lum > black glasses
max speed > 232 speed
lefties > life orb, 4 def > 4 spd
pain split > will o wisp
Thanks for the tips! I will definitely try them out and I totally agree with them. Thanks again :)

Hi there! Fantastic team. One thing I might suggest is using Occa Berry over Cheri if you are running Natural Gift on Mamoswine. This means Mamoswine can still use a base 80 Fire-type attack while having the added utility of giving you a one-time switch-in to Fire type attacks that Mamoswine is weak to. This helps in checking Mega Manectric, since you are running Oblivious over Thick Fat and Manectric generally runs either Overheat or Flamethrower. Cheri Berry doesn't have too much use for Mamoswine since only Body Slam and Tri Attack will be paralyzing it, both of which are pretty uncommon. However, if you wanted to ensure that your berry doesn't accidentally get used up, Cheri Berry is the way to go. Another idea you could include is slashing Incinerate somewhere on Thundurus's set, as it provides you with the equivalent of Hidden Power Fire while allowing you to still use Hidden Power Ice on your set.

Hi there! Fantastic team. One thing I might suggest is using Occa Berry over Cheri if you are running Natural Gift on Mamoswine. This means Mamoswine can still use a base 80 Fire-type attack while having the added utility of giving you a one-time switch-in to Fire type attacks that Mamoswine is weak to. This helps in checking Mega Manectric, since you are running Oblivious over Thick Fat and Manectric generally runs either Overheat or Flamethrower. Cheri Berry doesn't have too much use for Mamoswine since only Body Slam and Tri Attack will be paralyzing it, both of which are pretty uncommon. However, if you wanted to ensure that your berry doesn't accidentally get used up, Cheri Berry is the way to go. Another idea you could include is slashing Incinerate somewhere on Thundurus's set, as it provides you with the equivalent of Hidden Power Fire while allowing you to still use Hidden Power Ice on your set.
Thanks man! I like the Occa Berry idea, really cool! I'll definitely try them out :)

Ehy man! :)
I really like this core! That is nice against a lot team archetypes. Is a solid Hyper Offensive, but I've noticed some problem: The first weakness is Bisharp, yeah you don't really have a good switch in against it, Lopunny can help but isn't really good control because Bisharp has Sucker Punch that after some damage kill it. Latias and Gengar are continually pressured by him and this, although this team is an offensive and not need a "perfect check" for all things I think that can be problematic for your strategy.
The second problem is Lopunny because can outspeed all pokemon in your team, and can hit Gengar with thanks to ability, your only mode to stop it is with Thundurus that can paralyze it but can't switch in Return or Ice Punch.
Excadrill can be annoying because you haven't a solid mode to stop it (Thundurus is useless because can't paralyze groud type) for this reason your only mode to stop it is outside the Sand.
Last annoying presence is Scizor because if is Mega can pressure a lot this team, Mamoswine don't check it and Scizor can really easily setup against Bisharp or Latias and pressure you with Bullet Punch that hit hard all pokemon in your team (outside to Bisharp that is git with Superpower) Kyurem can be another annoying presence because you haven't a solid check and your only mode to kill it is with FBlast or Lopunny that can't switch in.
.............................................................................................

My first suggest to improve this team is to try Garchomp > Mamoswine: Mamowine is nice but I think that Garchomp can really improve this build because outside to gives Stealth Rock support can gives you a solid switch in to Bisharp and Lopunny, also can help to stop Excadrill because can takes some Earthquake. Also helps against scizor with Fire Blast and pressure it with rocky helmet.

The second suggest is to try Tyranitar > Bisharp Bisharp is nice but the team is weak to Kyurem, Tyra gives you a switch in against it and with Pursuit can help to check Electric Type that can be annoying for the team.

Threats to the team are: CharizardX, (Nasty Plot) Thundurus-I, and annoying stuff to the team include TankChomp and Rotom-W Ground Type in general because you haven't Water Type

Set Complete:

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Speed
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

Hope I help! :)

Ehy man! :)
I really like this core! That is nice against a lot team archetypes. Is a solid Hyper Offensive, but I've noticed some problem: The first weakness is Bisharp, yeah you don't really have a good switch in against it, Lopunny can help but isn't really good control because Bisharp has Sucker Punch that after some damage kill it. Latias and Gengar are continually pressured by him and this, although this team is an offensive and not need a "perfect check" for all things I think that can be problematic for your strategy.
The second problem is Lopunny because can outspeed all pokemon in your team, and can hit Gengar with thanks to ability, your only mode to stop it is with Thundurus that can paralyze it but can't switch in Return or Ice Punch.
Excadrill can be annoying because you haven't a solid mode to stop it (Thundurus is useless because can't paralyze groud type) for this reason your only mode to stop it is outside the Sand.
Last annoying presence is Scizor because if is Mega can pressure a lot this team, Mamoswine don't check it and Scizor can really easily setup against Bisharp or Latias and pressure you with Bullet Punch that hit hard all pokemon in your team (outside to Bisharp that is git with Superpower) Kyurem can be another annoying presence because you haven't a solid check and your only mode to kill it is with FBlast or Lopunny that can't switch in.
.............................................................................................

My first suggest to improve this team is to try Garchomp > Mamoswine: Mamowine is nice but I think that Garchomp can really improve this build because outside to gives Stealth Rock support can gives you a solid switch in to Bisharp and Lopunny, also can help to stop Excadrill because can takes some Earthquake. Also helps against scizor with Fire Blast and pressure it with rocky helmet.

The second suggest is to try Tyranitar > Bisharp Bisharp is nice but the team is weak to Kyurem, Tyra gives you a switch in against it and with Pursuit can help to check Electric Type that can be annoying for the team.

Threats to the team are: CharizardX, (Nasty Plot) Thundurus-I, and annoying stuff to the team include TankChomp and Rotom-W Ground Type in general because you haven't Water Type

Set Complete:

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Tyranitar @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Speed
Jolly Nature
- Pursuit
- Crunch
- Superpower
- Stone Edge

Hope I help! :)
Thanks for your suggestions man! I really think the Garchomp will solidify the team! I'll try them for sure :)

Hey, cool team! Nice to see Mamo getting some usage again.

I'd just like to echo the Sand Rush Excadrill weakness _Astral_ pointed out. The team lacks crucial priority or defensive capacity to deal with it in sand, so it can effectively sweep your team once most of it is lightly chipped into Iron Head/EQ/Rock Slide range. For this reason, I'd recommend changing Latias to CB Azumarill. Hazard removal is only really necessary on hyper offense if your team has multiple SR weak 'mons or one or more 'mons x4 weak to it (Talon, Volcarona, Pinsir, etc), so you don't really get that much mileage out of a sturdy defogger like Latias. Azumarill can also serve as an answer to the dragons you said Latias helped with more reliably, meaning your team wouldn't have to awkwardly teeter around Tank Chomp as much given that Bisharp and Lopunny and both Tank Chomp bait. CB Azu also gives your team additional wallbreaking power, priority, and reducued passivity, which will help generate more momentum and pressure that hopefully results in more potential wins becoming actual wins.

tl;dr--
380.png
-->
azu.png
; turns Excadrill bait into a solid sand offense check, as well as a more reliable way of addressing Tank Chomp.

Set:
Azumarill (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower

Hey, cool team! Nice to see Mamo getting some usage again.

I'd just like to echo the Sand Rush Excadrill weakness _Astral_ pointed out. The team lacks crucial priority or defensive capacity to deal with it in sand, so it can effectively sweep your team once most of it is lightly chipped into Iron Head/EQ/Rock Slide range. For this reason, I'd recommend changing Latias to CB Azumarill. Hazard removal is only really necessary on hyper offense if your team has multiple SR weak 'mons or one or more 'mons x4 weak to it (Talon, Volcarona, Pinsir, etc), so you don't really get that much mileage out of a sturdy defogger like Latias. Azumarill can also serve as an answer to the dragons you said Latias helped with more reliably, meaning your team wouldn't have to awkwardly teeter around Tank Chomp as much given that Bisharp and Lopunny and both Tank Chomp bait. CB Azu also gives your team additional wallbreaking power, priority, and reducued passivity, which will help generate more momentum and pressure that hopefully results in more potential wins becoming actual wins.

tl;dr--View attachment 62551 --> View attachment 62552; turns Excadrill bait into a solid sand offense check, as well as a more reliable way of addressing Tank Chomp.

Set:
Azumarill (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower
Hey man thanks for the tip! I really like the idea, I'll definitely try it out :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)