Battle Spot Mega Mawile Offensive

Introduction
Mega Mawile is a powerful wallbreaker, knocking down many defensive Pokemon so that sweepers can come through and eliminate the opposing team. This is an offensive team which greatly appreciates the sheer power that Mega Mawile offers.

Teambuilding Process

As Mega Mawile is the main point of this team, it is obvious that it would be what I decide to build my team around.

Mamoswine seems like an excellent choice to put with Mega Mawile, taking on Pokemon such as Heatran and other defensive Pokemon that Mawile struggles with thanks to its access to Fissure.

The third Pokemon I added was Dragonite, who can check Ground-, Fire-, and Fighting-types that Mawile struggles with.

With its access to Protean and its extensive movepool, Greninja grants to this team coverage against Pokemon that other members of its team cannot deal with.

Other than acting as an offensive pivot, Tapu Koko forms a Fairy-Steel-Dragon core with Mega Mawile and Dragonite, along with resetting opposing terrain against other members of the Land Spirit Pokemon.

Volcarona, other than being another sweeper which benefits from Mega Mawile's wallbreaking abilities, it can also absorb Will-o-Wisps for it and other physical attackers on its team.

The Team

Mawile-Mega (M) @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Fire Fang
Swords Dance Mega Mawile is a scary Pokemon, threatening even the bulkiest of defensive Pokemon. While the first three moves of this set are rather standard, I chose Fire Fang for the last moveslot, hitting Steel-types as well as some Grass-types such as TFerrothorn and Mega Venusaur. The given evs and nature maximize Mega Mawile's Attack and HP, with Intimidate weakening opposing physical attackers.

Mamoswine (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 44 HP / 212 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Fissure
Assault Vest Mamoswine is a great switchin to special attackers, firing off powerful attacks, picking off weakened targets with Ice Shard, or just eliminating walls Mega Mawile may not be able to break through by utilizing Fissure. The ev's gives Mamoswine as much special bulk as possible, while the Attack evs and Adamant nature make it hit as powerful as possible.

Dragonite (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch
Even if Dragonite is most popular for its Dragon Dance sets, its Choice Band set is nothing to scoff at, using its incredible Attack stat to threaten many Pokemon, while having enough bulk due to Multiscale to take attacks for its team as well.

Greninja (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- Extrasensory
- Hydro Pump
With a combination of Protean, extensive movepool, and great Speed, Greninja provides the access to extended coverage that its teammates greatly appreciate. Most noticeable is access to Gunk Shot, allowing it to hit Fairy-types the best out of this team, which greatly helps against threatening Pokemon such as Tapu Lele.

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Grass Knot
- U-turn
Tapu Koko is an excellent pivot, being the fastest Pokemon on this team as well as having a powerful nuke in Electric Terrain-boosted Gigavolt Havok. It forms an effective Fairy-Steel-Dragon core with Mega Mawile and Dragonite, while also being able to reset opposing terrain, notably removing the Earthquake-weakening Grassy Terrain and the priority-preventing Psychic Terrain.

Volcarona (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Ground]
To tie this team together, I decided to end with Volcarona, whose access to Quiver Dance makes a threatening special sweeper. Fiery Dance is my preferred Fire-type STAB due to its 50% chance to increase Volcarona's Special Attack, making it very threatening. As a Fire-type, it can also switch into Will-o-Wisps for its teammates, granting incredible momentum for its team.

Conclusion

The most noticeable issue with this team is its weakness to Stealth Rock. However, as the goal of this team is to break walls and sweep as quickly as possible, I do not see this as much as a threat. Any feedback is greatly appreciated, and thanks for helping me make use of the threat that is Mega Mawile!

Mawile-Mega (M) @ Mawilite
Ability: Intimidate
Level: 50
EVs: 252 HP / 252 Atk / 4 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Sucker Punch
- Swords Dance
- Fire Fang

Mamoswine (F) @ Assault Vest
Ability: Thick Fat
EVs: 44 HP / 212 Atk / 252 SpD
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Ice Shard
- Icicle Spear
- Fissure

Dragonite (F) @ Choice Band
Ability: Multiscale
Adamant Nature
- Outrage
- Extreme Speed
- Earthquake
- Fire Punch

Greninja (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Protean
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty Nature
- Ice Beam
- Gunk Shot
- Extrasensory
- Hydro Pump

Tapu Koko @ Electrium Z
Ability: Electric Surge
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Dazzling Gleam
- Grass Knot
- U-turn

Volcarona (F) @ Focus Sash
Ability: Flame Body
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Quiver Dance
- Fiery Dance
- Bug Buzz
- Hidden Power [Ground]

Last edited:
i think your team could benefit from a stealth rock setter and defogger. you could replace fissure on mamoswine for stealth rock, change mamoswine's item to life orb or leftovers, and as for a defogger, well you could replace a move on tapu koko with defog, or change one of your mons for another defogger if you want to keep tapu koko's moveset as it is...

i think your team could benefit from a stealth rock setter and defogger. you could replace fissure on mamoswine for stealth rock, change mamoswine's item to life orb or leftovers, and as for a defogger, well you could replace a move on tapu koko with defog, or change one of your mons for another defogger if you want to keep tapu koko's moveset as it is...
Honestly never knew koko got defog... thanks for the suggestion!

Edit: turns out koko can't learn defog. I'm thinking of replacing something with defog scizor, but I'm not sure which one.

Last edited:
That's bad advice. Hazards are rare in 3vs3 let alone a move to remove them. This isn't OU.Thats not me saying that SR wouldn't help. More that removing them isn't worth the move slot.

Feesh Squad Opposing Mamoswine do a number to this squad as would Garchomp, both absorb your Gigavolt Havoc, possess Stealth Rock and a powerful EQ as well as options to wreck Banded Dragonite. Just an additional observation beyond your SR note.

I would definitely recommend trying to fit in Taunt somehow to help combat SR and Sash-wielding lead sets. I'm not sure on who and if it would warrant a change of member, perhaps Thundurus over Koko. That would at least alleviate the Ground vulnerability. I'd also suggest that you consider Extrasensory over something else. Dark Pulse & Low Kick maybe, unless you feel a massive fighting & poison type weakness but Ninja probably isnt a great answer to those types.

Also, I can thoroughly recommend DD Lum Dragonite over Choice Band, I'd at least consider Knock off over Sucker on M-Maw. Mamo could do benefit from Rock Tomb to be honest but it would mean losing Fissure. There's a different spread on the Gen 6 anaylsis too, that could be worth looking at.

Last edited:
Ok. The changes so far have been replacing Grass Knot with Taunt on Tapu Koko, Extrasensory to Dark Pulse on Greninja, Band to DD Lum on Dragonite, and changing Mamoswine's evs to that from gen 6 (what's the point of Fissure for Suicune if you can't outspeed it?). I am pretty hesitant on replacing Greninja with Cloyster, as it just provides so much with coverage. I also already like having sash on Volcarona, as a free QD is too tempting to give up.

Stealth Rock wasn't a bad advice. The Stealth Rock support actually helps a lot Mega Mawile by either putting things into KO or Sucker Punch range, and by removing sashed mons that could otherwise threaten Mawile Trick Room cores. Speaking of Trick Room, i'd add a Porygon2 that can take care of dangerous pokemon such as Garchomp or most Earthquake users, and support Mawile with Trick Room. Probably over Greninja that feels kinda redundant with Koko as your fast attacker (and its offensive presence is kinda of covered by the two suggestion i'm writing down here).
@ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 244 HP / 172 Def / 4 SpA / 84 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Trick Room
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Ground] / Thunderbolt / Toxic / Shadow Ball / Tri Attack
- Recover
EVs are to maximize the physical bulk, while still being able to survive to 2 Psychic from Modest Tapu Lele in Psychic terrain. HP Ground is mainly for Heatran. Trace over Download to check even harder Heatran (stealing Flash Fire) and help with DD sweepers such as Salamence and Gyarados (with Intimidate).

To mitigate even more your Ground-type Weakness and gain a real fire-type resist, id' switch out Volcarona for Rotom-Wash, gaining another ground-type immunity and a handy eletric-type coverage / water-type resist that could definitely help to deal with Water-types, since your team looks a little weak to those mons imo.

Rotom-Wash @ Waterium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Def / 180 SpA / 4 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hidden Power Ice / Reflect / Light Screen

EVs are to always 2HKO Specially defensive Mega Salamence with Hidden Power Ice. It also OHKOs SpD Hippowdon with Z-Hydro Pump, even having a 40% to OHKO bulky TTar in sand, lightening up your Stealth Rock problems.

Minor changes i would make then are:

- The EVs on Dnite. I Like CB Dnite a lot, but if you want to run max speed you'll need a Jolly nature, otherwise imo you don't need a full 252 EVs spread on it, making space for extra bulk.
- Maybe putting Taunt over Grass Knot on Tapu Koko to stop Stealth Rock and setup sweepers, also changing its item to a Life Orb and U-turn to Volt Switch (you already have tools for the ground-types and lightning rod users now)

Stealth Rock wasn't a bad advice. The Stealth Rock support actually helps a lot Mega Mawile by either putting things into KO or Sucker Punch range, and by removing sashed mons that could otherwise threaten Mawile Trick Room cores. Speaking of Trick Room, i'd add a Porygon2 that can take care of dangerous pokemon such as Garchomp or most Earthquake users, and support Mawile with Trick Room. Probably over Greninja that feels kinda redundant with Koko as your fast attacker (and its offensive presence is kinda of covered by the two suggestion i'm writing down here).
@ Eviolite
Ability: Trace
EVs: 244 HP / 172 Def / 4 SpA / 84 SpD / 4 Spe
Bold Nature
- Trick Room
- Ice Beam
- Hidden Power [Ground] / Thunderbolt / Toxic / Shadow Ball / Tri Attack
- Recover
EVs are to maximize the physical bulk, while still being able to survive to 2 Psychic from Modest Tapu Lele in Psychic terrain. HP Ground is mainly for Heatran. Trace over Download to check even harder Heatran (stealing Flash Fire) and help with DD sweepers such as Salamence and Gyarados (with Intimidate).

To mitigate even more your Ground-type Weakness and gain a real fire-type resist, id' switch out Volcarona for Rotom-Wash, gaining another ground-type immunity and a handy eletric-type coverage / water-type resist that could definitely help to deal with Water-types, since your team looks a little weak to those mons imo.

Rotom-Wash @ Waterium Z
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 252 HP / 68 Def / 180 SpA / 4 SpD / 4 Spe
Modest Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Thunderbolt
- Will-O-Wisp
- Hidden Power Ice / Reflect / Light Screen

EVs are to always 2HKO Specially defensive Mega Salamence with Hidden Power Ice. It also OHKOs SpD Hippowdon with Z-Hydro Pump, even having a 40% to OHKO bulky TTar in sand, lightening up your Stealth Rock problems.

Minor changes i would make then are:

- The EVs on Dnite. I Like CB Dnite a lot, but if you want to run max speed you'll need a Jolly nature, otherwise imo you don't need a full 252 EVs spread on it, making space for extra bulk.
- Maybe putting Taunt over Grass Knot on Tapu Koko to stop Stealth Rock and setup sweepers, also changing its item to a Life Orb and U-turn to Volt Switch (you already have tools for the ground-types and lightning rod users now)
I like this suggestion not only because it helps address weaknesses to my team, but it really helps with item organization. I added Koko after Greninja, and was upset when I couldn't add Life Orb to it (bc/ Greninja had it) and I had already chosen Volcarona to be the receiver of Focus Sash. This way, Koko gets the item it wants, while leaving me with a Z Move that isn't easily walled by a large number of Pokemon.
Edit: Of course adding some much needed bulk as well.

Last edited:
This thread hadn't been touched in a while, and I was considering adding a new member to this team: Mimikyu. Any ideas how I could incorporate it?

This thread hadn't been touched in a while, and I was considering adding a new member to this team: Mimikyu. Any ideas how I could incorporate it?
Mimikyu is good with Dnite, and pretty good if you even add a steel-type. Anyway, in my opinion, this Steel-type shouldn't be Mawile, since it shares Mimikyu's Fairy-type and your offense would become kinda redundant this way. If you want to add Mimikyu try to switch Mawile for Mega Metagross or Mega Lucario. If doing so my Porygon2 suggestion wouldn't be good anymore, whereas Rotom-W should still be a good partner for both.

@ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Jolly Nature
- Iron Head / Zen Headbutt
- Bullet Punch
- Ice Punch
- Earthquake

@ Lucarionite
Ability: Inner Focus
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Bullet Punch / Iron Tail
- Extreme Speed
- Swords Dance

Imo Mega Lucario would be the best choice between the two, since Metagross and Mimikyu share a Ghost-type weakness.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)