SM OU Mega-Medi hazzard stacking

Chokepic

You're a choker if you say you've never choked
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Mega-Medi hazzard stacking

Landorus-t | Mega-Medicham | Ferrothorn | Zapdos | Heatran | Starmie

________________________________________________________________________________________

Overview

The team has/contains:
  • 2 ice weakness (x2) with 2 ice resistances.
  • 2 water weakness (x2) with 2 water resistances.
  • 2 fight weakness (x2) with 3 fight resistances.
  • 1 electric weakness(x2) with 1 electric immunity and 1 electric resistance.
  • 1 fire weakness (x4) with 1 fire immunity and 1 fire resistance.
  • 1 flying weakness (x2) with 2 flying resistances
  • 2 ghost and 1 dark weakness (x2) without resistances.
  • 1 spikes setter.
  • 1 rock setter
  • 1 Speed controller.
  • 1 spinner.
  • 2 pokemon that are not affected by spikes, 4 pokemon that are not affected by toxic spikes, 1 pokemon with resistance to stealth rock, 4 pokemon with a neutral damage of stealth rock and 1 pokemon with weakness (x2) to stealth rock.
Introduction

When medichamite was unleashed, I wanted to build a team around it (because mega medicham is broken lol), so I started with the landorus-t+ Mega-Medicham core. I needed a spinner and pheromosa was banned with the 92% of the votes, so I put starmie just like a test, because the only spinner in ou is excadrill, and is not very good.
Teambuilding Process

As I have said before, I started with the Mega-Medicham+Landorus-t core. First, landorus was rocky helmet, but then I would need a scarf, and I would change lando-t to scarf hp ice.

Then I put starmie as my water resist, ice resist, fire resist, and I have said the spinner of the team. It has a special set with ice beam and 36 in spa to KO offensive lando-t, which is a big threat to this team.

Next of that, I put ferrothorn because I need a grass type with a longevity during the match and a mon with speed control, that is why ferrothorn has t-wave.

Now with ferrothorn in the team, I had a x4 weakness to fire, so I thought is too much for starmie and I added heatran. Heatran was perfect too because I need a z-move pokemon in the team, and this is what heatran apports to the team.

In the last slot, I needed a electric type, but I could not put a electric type with weakness to ground, because I have a x4 weakness with heatran and only 1 inmmunitie, so I added zapdos with a roar set that take advantage of hazzards and rocks.

The Team

Medicham-Mega @ Medichamite
Ability: Pure Power
EVs: 252 Atk / 252 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Ice Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick

This is the main pokemon of the team. It has a spectacular power as a wallbreaker, it KO or 2KO almost all pokemon, except bulky psychic types like mew, and sableye (that is 2KO in electric terrain with t-punch, but I do not have electric terrain, so rip). Fake out is for priority and can ensures some KOs with fake out+hjk like rotom-wash. Ice punch is for landorus-therian mainly. Zen headbutt is for things like venusaur-mega, because my teams does not have a flying type like tornadus-therian I think this move is necesary. High Jump Kick is the main move, and will be spammed in many times. 252 in atk with an adamant nature for being as powerful as it can and 252 evs in spe for outspeeding things like modest lele.

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

When I finished the team, I noticed a scarf user was needed, so I added scarf landorus. HP ice is for other landorus-t and for subcoil zygarde too (as you will see later in the threat list, I have a lot of fear to subcoil zygarde). Stone edge has a spectacular coverage with earthquake, because flying types are eliminated. Earthquake is the stab move that will be spammed in many times like hjk in medi. U-turn is only a momentum move to switch into Mega-Medicham or heatran and kill a mon. A jolly nature is used to outpseed porygon z at +1, and mega-gyarados at +1. Evs are simple, 252 in atk to be a nice cleaner and the 252 in spe with a jolly nature to outspeed the things I have said before.

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Ability: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SpD
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave
- Power Whip

Ferrothorn is the grass type of the team, the hazzazrd setter and the speed control of the team. Without ferrothorn that would not be a hazzard stacking team. First, I think of having protect instead of thunder wave in ferro, and have thunder wave in starmie, nut my fear to offensive landorus-t and subcoil zygarde prevented it. Spikes is for help medicham, heatran and landorus-t to revenge kill. Leech seed is a pseudo-recovery move that helps ferrothorn to have more longevity in the battle. Thunder-wave is for have speed control. Power whip is used because I can not used gyro ball with t-wave and to 2KO fini and prevent it from taunting+defogging and be still alive. The evs allow him to resist both, psychical and special attacks without receiving a lot of damage.

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 36 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Ice Beam

Starmie is my water, ice, and second fire resist. It is not the best pokemon in OU, I know, but with the pheromosa´s ban, there are not much options to spin. Scald is the stab move with the ability of burning physical threats. Rapid spin is for remove hazzards and to allow enter landorus-t, medicham and heatran numerous times without receiving damage. Recover is for recovery, necessary to enter in battle for removing hazzards. Ice beam, as I have said is to KO offensive landorus-t with the 36 in spa and have a chance to 2KO subcoil zygarde. 224 spe are enough for outspeed stuff like Mega-Metagross, latias and thundurus.

Heatran @ Grassium Z
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Solar Beam
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power

Heatran is the rock setter, and the z-move user of the team. It can trap other mons are kill them with bloom doom (like fini) or just put rocks if are necessary. Magma storm is a extremely powerful stab that traps other mons and damaged them. Solar beam is for trapping+killing water types, mainly tapu fini for prevent defogging. Earth power is for fire and electric types, for other heatrans mostly. Stealth rock is good with the ability to kill the most used defogger in the tier. 252 spe with a timid nature are used to outspeed SD fightnium z tapu bulu, and the 252 in spa are for power.
And last but not least ...

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Roar

Zapdos is the second ground immunity, with a special set that takes advantage of hazzards. Discharge is the electric stab with a decent 30% of paralysis. Roost is for recovery, to have more longevity during the match. Heat wave is used to kill ferrothorn if heatran is fainted and you do not want to arriesgate of using hjk (because some ferrothorn have protect). Roar is for stopping boosted pokemon, like the aforementioned subcoil zygarde, or scolipede. 20 spe to outspeed base 60 and zygarde if it is necesarry. The 240 def and the 248 HP evs are for been bulkier.

Threats

Volcarona: Oh, that pokemon is really problematic. With 1 quiver dance is capable of sweeping all my team. All what I can do with that pokemon is go with fake out in medicham and 3KO it (that is risky because it is used with flame body) or go to zapdos and click roar praying it do not go with z-fire blast or pressuring it with hazzards and rocks because it is really weak to them.

Rockium z landorus-t: As I have said in the thread, this one is a problem too, with the variations I have do in starmie, is not as risky as it was, but it can still do a 6-0 if starmie is killed, because without starmie all I can do is doing leech seed with ferro and then fake out with medi.

Choice band and subcoil zygarde: The same I have said with lando, it is still a problem with the changes I have done, but not as risky as it was, right now, with roar zapdos, choice band zygarde is more problematic, capable of koing or 2koing all except ferrothorn. Fortunately, choice band zygarde is not as bulky as subcoil zygarde is.

Greninja and Greninja-Ash: Both are problematic, but protean greninja is more problematic than greninja ash, because I can switch ferrothorn in greninja-ash and is a 3KO of dark pulse, but greninja protean is usually HP fire, ice beam and hydro pump so all what I can do with protean greninja is switch into starmie and pray for the gunk shot miss.

Mega-Charizard-Y: 0 switchs ins. All what you can do is trying to lure charizard-y with scarf landorus-t and do stone edge or if the zard y is fire blast go with zapdos and do discharge + mega-medi fake out.

Replays:

(More replays soon)

http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/gen7ou-560202813

Conclusion

I think is a good team I do around mega-medicham. I peaked near 1700 with it. (Ignore the gxe, is from other teams I do only 4 fun haha).

I do not have much more to say, I hope you like the rmt :)

The team:

Adamant Nature
- Ice Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave
- Power Whip

Starmie @ Leftovers
Ability: Natural Cure
EVs: 248 HP / 36 SpA / 224 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
- Ice Beam

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- U-turn

Heatran @ Grassium Z
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Solar Beam
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power

Zapdos @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 248 HP / 240 Def / 20 Spe
Bold Nature
- Discharge
- Roost
- Heat Wave
- Roar

Last edited:

3d

Prada shoes cuz she prada me
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
World Defender
hello cool team, ive been meaning to try out mmedi spikes myself lately and this is a good team showcasing it. anyway, i noticed this team has a lot of trouble dealing with stall since sableye beats 4/6 members, and even pressures zapdos while dugtrio / chansey can easily beat toxapex. sableye also ensures that spikes don't get up pretty much making it so that you're main building idea is shut down. volcarona is also a huge threat to this team since it can literally getup one quiver dance and win the game, depending on the set, or just slowly chip away at heatran with stealth rock and winning the game after that. it also doesn't fail to qd on a lot of this team since it can qd up on starmie, ferro, zapdos, and even choice locked landorus-therian. the reason why it qding up is such a big deal is that scarf landorus-therian doesn't outspeed so it can just OHKO it with fire blast after SR. greninja and zygarde are also huge nuisances to this team, both for the same reason - they can spam their unresisted STABs and pretty much nab a kill after that, and you don't really have any real countermeasures to deal with greninja. finally, thundurus-i. with its crazy coverage it kills every single member on this team, and your only play is to hope zapdos can weaken it and then kill with mega medicham, or bank on stone edge and neither of them are too reliable as it can just switch out, and then abuse what you clicked. is a really big threat. with these things being said, here are my suggested changes.

to help this team deal with the stall thundurus-i and greninja, i suggest changing zapdos to tapu koko. tapu koko gives you a nice way to break stall alongside mega medicham since it can natures madness an unsuspecting chansey and then taunt the next turn, and then u-turn out on the chansey into mega medicham which pretty much gets a kill after that since sableye can not switch into an electric terrain boosted thunder punch. with tapu kokos nice speed it can outspeed and scare out thundurus with a strong thunderbolt, or abuse the switch in with u-turn giving you momentum into say mega medicham. although, this doesn't really help vs sticky webs thundurus-t but my next change will help vs webs in general. going back to mega medicham, it greatly appreciates the free u-turn in since it can't switch into many things due to its frail bulk, and can get a kill vs things that tapu koko lures in like amoonguss, tangrowth and hippowdon. tapu koko can also check protean greninja quite nicely while now only fearing the ash greninja set if it manages to get into its ash form. losing out on zapdos won't hurt this team too bad since tapu koko can still deal with bulky waters, and is still a strong electric type that forces out switches rather then phasing with roar. the only real downside to this change is that it gets rid of your secondary ground resist but, zapdos doesn't really deal with most ground types anyway since landorus-t usually packs stone edge.

as i said before webs are a serious issue, since it makes things like thundurus-i much more threatening, to help deal with this i suggest changing starmie to whirlpool tapu fini. while this may seem like a dumb gimmick, it actually ensures that webs or even stealth rock aren't up in the game. basically what you want to do turn 1 if they have webs is lead with tapu fini and then whirlpool on the smeargle and then defog spam until they're dead due to whirlpool recoil. you could also taunt to make the process quicker but you don't really want to risk them magic coating and getting up webs. tapu fini also gives you a way to safely switch into ash greninja so you pretty much never give them the chance to turn into ash form, and you can check to see if they're ash greninja by switching into ferrothorn to see how much dark pulse does. this tapu fini set can also greatly pressure stall since you can whirlpool on the toxapex and literally beat it 1v1 since they can't pivot into their sableye on the taunt. the downside to this change is that it makes your rapid spinner a defogger which means that you need to defog early game if you really need to so you don't get rid of your hazards in the late game.

finally, to help deal with volcarona i suggest changing
scarf landorus-therian to choice scarf garchomp. there's not really much to explain about this but choice scarf garchomp can easily pressure volcarona from setting up and even switch into volcarona setting up with ease and then ohkoing with rock slide if they decide to stay in. however, this does get rid of your ground resist so you will have to play a lot smarter around landorus-t with say tapu fini + tapu koko since tapu koko can bring it down to 50% and then you can whirlpool with tapu fini killing off the landorus-t. of course that only applies to sd sets, the choice scarf set is easily checked by ferrothorn and tapu fini.

Adamant Nature
- Thunder Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave
- Power Whip

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 244 HP / 200 Def / 64 Spe
Bold Nature
- Whirlpool
- Defog
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Rock Slide
- Dragon Claw

Heatran @ Grassium Z
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Solar Beam
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power

Tapu Koko @ Zap Plate
Ability: Electric Surge
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Nature's Madness
- U-turn
- Taunt

Last edited:

Chokepic

hello cool team, ive been meaning to try out mmedi spikes myself lately and this is a good team showcasing it. anyway, i noticed this team has a lot of trouble dealing with stall since sableye beats 4/6 members, and even pressures zapdos while dugtrio / chansey can easily beat toxapex. sableye also ensures that spikes don't get up pretty much making it so that you're main building idea is shut down. volcarona is also a huge threat to this team since it can literally getup one quiver dance and win the game, depending on the set, or just slowly chip away at heatran with stealth rock and winning the game after that. it also doesn't fail to qd on a lot of this team since it can qd up on starmie, ferro, zapdos, and even choice locked landorus-therian. the reason why it qding up is such a big deal is that scarf landorus-therian doesn't outspeed so it can just OHKO it with fire blast after SR. greninja and zygarde are also huge nuisances to this team, both for the same reason - they can spam their unresisted STABs and pretty much nab a kill after that, and you don't really have any real countermeasures to deal with greninja. finally, thundurus-i. with its crazy coverage it kills every single member on this team, and your only play is to hope zapdos can weaken it and then kill with mega medicham, or bank on stone edge and neither of them are too reliable as it can just switch out, and then abuse what you clicked. is a really big threat. with these things being said, here are my suggested changes.

to help this team deal with the stall thundurus-i and greninja, i suggest changing zapdos to tapu koko. tapu koko gives you a nice way to break stall alongside mega medicham since it can natures madness an unsuspecting chansey and then taunt the next turn, and then u-turn out on the chansey into mega medicham which pretty much gets a kill after that since sableye can not switch into an electric terrain boosted thunder punch. with tapu kokos nice speed it can outspeed and scare out thundurus with a strong thunderbolt, or abuse the switch in with u-turn giving you momentum into say mega medicham. although, this doesn't really help vs sticky webs thundurus-t but my next change will help vs webs in general. going back to mega medicham, it greatly appreciates the free u-turn in since it can't switch into many things due to its frail bulk, and can get a kill vs things that tapu koko lures in like amoonguss, tangrowth and hippowdon. tapu koko can also check protean greninja quite nicely while now only fearing the ash greninja set if it manages to get into its ash form. losing out on zapdos won't hurt this team too bad since tapu koko can still deal with bulky waters, and is still a strong electric type that forces out switches rather then phasing with roar. the only real downside to this change is that it gets rid of your secondary ground resist but, zapdos doesn't really deal with most ground types anyway since landorus-t usually packs stone edge.

as i said before webs are a serious issue, since it makes things like thundurus-i much more threatening, to help deal with this i suggest changing starmie to whirlpool tapu fini. while this may seem like a dumb gimmick, it actually ensures that webs or even stealth rock aren't up in the game. basically what you want to do turn 1 if they have webs is lead with tapu fini and then whirlpool on the smeargle and then defog spam until they're dead due to whirlpool recoil. you could also taunt to make the process quicker but you don't really want to risk them magic coating and getting up webs. tapu fini also gives you a way to safely switch into ash greninja so you pretty much never give them the chance to turn into ash form, and you can check to see if they're ash greninja by switching into ferrothorn to see how much dark pulse does. this tapu fini set can also greatly pressure stall since you can whirlpool on the toxapex and literally beat it 1v1 since they can't pivot into their sableye on the taunt. the downside to this change is that it makes your rapid spinner a defogger which means that you need to defog early game if you really need to so you don't get rid of your hazards in the late game.

finally, to help deal with volcarona i suggest changing
scarf landorus-therian to choice scarf garchomp. there's not really much to explain about this but choice scarf garchomp can easily pressure volcarona from setting up and even switch into volcarona setting up with ease and then ohkoing with rock slide if they decide to stay in. however, this does get rid of your ground resist so you will have to play a lot smarter around landorus-t with say tapu fini + tapu koko since tapu koko can bring it down to 50% and then you can whirlpool with tapu fini killing off the landorus-t. of course that only applies to sd sets, the choice scarf set is easily checked by ferrothorn and tapu fini.

Adamant Nature
- Thunder Punch
- Zen Headbutt
- Fake Out
- High Jump Kick

Ferrothorn @ Leftovers
Relaxed Nature
- Spikes
- Leech Seed
- Thunder Wave
- Power Whip

Tapu Fini @ Leftovers
Ability: Misty Surge
EVs: 244 HP / 200 Def / 64 Spe
Bold Nature
- Whirlpool
- Defog
- Taunt
- Nature's Madness

Garchomp @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Dragon Claw
- Rock Slide
- Dragon Claw

Heatran @ Grassium Z
Timid Nature
- Magma Storm
- Solar Beam
- Stealth Rock
- Earth Power

Tapu Koko @ Zap Plate
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Nature's Madness
- U-turn
- Taunt
Thanks for the suggestions. I like your team, but you have not a ground resist, so I will try zapdos over tapu koko. I can not testing the team this week, I will test it next week.

Thanks a lot :)

3d

Prada shoes cuz she prada me
is a Tutor Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
World Defender
Thanks for the suggestions. I like your team, but you have not a ground resist, so I will try zapdos over tapu koko. I can not testing the team this week, I will test it next week.

Thanks a lot :)
zapdos isn't really the best ground resist as i stated since it just loses to offensive landorus-t. if you're so reliant on zapdos try a more offensive spread with 252 speed / 252 special attack / 4hp with volt switch / roost / hidden power ice / heat wave so you can keep a way to get momentum and a way to deal with landorus-therian

Hi, so i thought your team was pretty good since you covered a lot of major bases when making a quality team. So I'm going to piggyback a bit off amoonguss' rate and agree with the Tapu Koko suggestion and along with it, Thunder Punch > Zen Headbutt on Mega Medicham. This allows Medicham to easily break stall itself since Thunder Punch nabs a solid 2HKO on Mega Sab while it runs through everything else. You should also use a Jolly Nature to possibly speed tie with opposing base 100's which are Volcarona and Mega Zard Y in your threat list.

Speaking of Volcarona and Zard Y, I don't agree with the Scarf Garchomp suggestion. While it does give you a faster Scarfer you're actually still weak to those two since Garchomp is not a good switch-in at all and what you really need is a switch-in since they KO anything that comes in on your team. A better choice would be Choice Scarf Nihilego > Heatran. It may not make sense why I chose Heatran, but I'll get into that later in the rate. Nihilego is better here since it can actually switch-in with ease against those two (even +1 Volcarona) and easily KO back with Power Gem while also having STABs that aren't as exploitable as Garchomp's. HP Fire seems like the best coverage option here since you don't have a real way of solidly dealing with Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor without Zapdos so HP Fire is nice for limiting their switch-ins. It's also great for chipping at Mega Metagross along with spike support.
Nihilego @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
Timid Nature
- Power Gem
- Sludge Wave
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Fire]

With Heatran gone you're going to need a new Rocker so it'd be best to make Landorus-T the defensive variant so it functions as a better check to Zygarde / Garchomp and opposing Landorus-T. It also completes the VolTurn core with Tapu Koko while integrating a crucial Ground immunity that you wanted to preserve (and all teams basically require). It even forms you a fantastic defensive backbone to fall back on alongside Ferrothorn.
Landorus-T @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 212 Def / 32 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Finally, I firmly believe that a Starmie that loses to Keldeo and Gengar is a travesty, so Offensive Starmie > Defensive is good here. You get a flimsier switch in, but it ensures that nothing can safely spinblock Starmie and you gain more offensive presence which is appreciated considering Medicham was your best source of power. It may seem weird to run HP Fire on Starmie too when it's on Nihilego, but Starmie would really appreciate not being forced to clear away Spikes so HP Fire is excellent for nabbing a surprise KO on Ferrothorn considering it can easily come in on Starmie and setup Spikes in its face otherwise.
Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psyshock
- Hydro Pump

On a side note, you now have no real wincon to fall back on, which means something that can actually win the game, so a really neat but completely optional change would be Calm Mind Tapu Koko. It's a pretty underrated set that has the potential to utterly tear teams apart with Spike support, especially after Medicham has done its job well by beating it's checks and counters. You'd want to keep U-turn though so it can't be trapped by Dugtrio. Calm Mind + U-turn may seem counterproductive but it definitely works fine in practice. Stallbreaker is usually better though for extra insurance.
Tapu Koko @ Magnet
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Calm Mind
- U-turn

So you should play your cards by getting up hazards as swiftly as possible with your setters then going to town with Medicham against balance builds and offense that don't have any switch-ins (which are nearly all of them). Don't spam HJK when there's a Ghost on the opposition because they'll usually hard switch it in. Be sure to utilize Nihilego as a pivot into specially offensive threats such as Gengar as well and not just a revenge killer since you don't have a real switch into that either. Speaking of pivoting, use U-turn liberally on both Koko and Lando to wear down the opposition even further but be sure to clear hazards when they're setup, especially Spikes before it escalates too quickly. Sticky Web is really annoying but you shouldn't really gimp your matchup against more prominent playstyles just for Webs, try your best to keep Smeargle from setting them with Mega Cham's Fake Out + any attack to stop it right then and there. Also if you choose CM Koko you should attempt to setup and sweep late-game when everything left is weakened into +1 range. Greninja is still annoying, but you should be fine with Nihilego, Koko, and Ferro.

How these suggestions helped!

Last edited:

Leo

after hours
is a Site Content Manager Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
MPL Champion
The only Koko set I'd run here is Stallbreaker tbh because Medicham doesn't beat Stall on its own and an experienced Stall player can easily remove it with Dugtrio on a predicted T-Punch since EQ 2hkos Medi and you can't really do much back since you lack a rocker able to keep rocks vs Stall so Dugtrio will always come down to its sash after taking an Ice Punch and proceed to knock you out with EQ. Even if you had something like BP you would still lose your Medi to Sucker Punch variants. This is pretty important imo because most of your team members are pretty much deadweight vs Stall even after the changes made by Amoongus and Ramses. Good luck with the team!

Reactions: 3d

Chokepic

Hi, so i thought your team was pretty good since you covered a lot of major bases when making a quality team. So I'm going to piggyback a bit off amoonguss' rate and agree with the Tapu Koko suggestion and along with it, Thunder Punch > Zen Headbutt on Mega Medicham. This allows Medicham to easily break stall itself since Thunder Punch nabs a solid 2HKO on Mega Sab while it runs through everything else. You should also use a Jolly Nature to possibly speed tie with opposing base 100's which are Volcarona and Mega Zard Y in your threat list.

Speaking of Volcarona and Zard Y, I don't agree with the Scarf Garchomp suggestion. While it does give you a faster Scarfer you're actually still weak to those two since Garchomp is not a good switch-in at all and what you really need is a switch-in since they KO anything that comes in on your team. A better choice would be Choice Scarf Nihilego > Heatran. It may not make sense why I chose Heatran, but I'll get into that later in the rate. Nihilego is better here since it can actually switch-in with ease against those two (even +1 Volcarona) and easily KO back with Power Gem while also having STABs that aren't as exploitable as Garchomp's. HP Fire seems like the best coverage option here since you don't have a real way of solidly dealing with Ferrothorn and Mega Scizor without Zapdos so HP Fire is nice for limiting their switch-ins. It's also great for chipping at Mega Metagross along with spike support.
Nihilego @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Beast Boost
Timid Nature
- Power Gem
- Sludge Wave
- Thunder
- Hidden Power [Fire]

With Heatran gone you're going to need a new Rocker so it'd be best to make Landorus-T the defensive variant so it functions as a better check to Zygarde / Garchomp and opposing Landorus-T. It also completes the VolTurn core with Tapu Koko while integrating a crucial Ground immunity that you wanted to preserve (and all teams basically require). It even forms you a fantastic defensive backbone to fall back on alongside Ferrothorn.
Landorus-T @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 248 HP / 212 Def / 32 SpD / 16 Spe
Impish Nature
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stealth Rock

Finally, I firmly believe that a Starmie that loses to Keldeo and Gengar is a travesty, so Offensive Starmie > Defensive is good here. You get a flimsier switch in, but it ensures that nothing can safely spinblock Starmie and you gain more offensive presence which is appreciated considering Medicham was your best source of power. It may seem weird to run HP Fire on Starmie too when it's on Nihilego, but Starmie would really appreciate not being forced to clear away Spikes so HP Fire is excellent for nabbing a surprise KO on Ferrothorn considering it can easily come in on Starmie and setup Spikes in its face otherwise.
Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Analytic
Timid Nature
- Rapid Spin
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Psyshock
- Hydro Pump

On a side note, you now have no real wincon to fall back on, which means something that can actually win the game, so a really neat but completely optional change would be Calm Mind Tapu Koko. It's a pretty underrated set that has the potential to utterly tear teams apart with Spike support, especially after Medicham has done its job well by beating it's checks and counters. You'd want to keep U-turn though so it can't be trapped by Dugtrio. Calm Mind + U-turn may seem counterproductive but it definitely works fine in practice. Stallbreaker is usually better though for extra insurance.
Tapu Koko @ Magnet
Timid Nature
- Thunderbolt
- Hidden Power [Ice]
- Calm Mind
- U-turn

So you should play your cards by getting up hazards as swiftly as possible with your setters then going to town with Medicham against balance builds and offense that don't have any switch-ins (which are nearly all of them). Don't spam HJK when there's a Ghost on the opposition because they'll usually hard switch it in. Be sure to utilize Nihilego as a pivot into specially offensive threats such as Gengar as well and not just a revenge killer since you don't have a real switch into that either. Speaking of pivoting, use U-turn liberally on both Koko and Lando to wear down the opposition even further but be sure to clear hazards when they're setup, especially Spikes before it escalates too quickly. Sticky Web is really annoying but you shouldn't really gimp your matchup against more prominent playstyles just for Webs, try your best to keep Smeargle from setting them with Mega Cham's Fake Out + any attack to stop it right then and there. Also if you choose CM Koko you should attempt to setup and sweep late-game when everything left is weakened into +1 range. Greninja is still annoying, but you should be fine with Nihilego, Koko, and Ferro.

How these suggestions helped!
I will test all those changes next week when I will be back from holidays. I like the nihilego scarf option, but not sure of the cm koko. The jolly medicham, iirc t-punch on electric terrain of jolly medicham has a chance to do a 3KO to sableye. I will do the calc, but the calc on my mobile doesn't work lol.

Last edited:

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)