ORAS OU Mega-MetaGross Balance: The Return

How's it Going Smogon forums Im ImperialGaming Bringing You my very first post on these forum and also my very first competitive team Jus to give a little backstory into myself i haven't played this gane competitively since early 2006-2007 era but i have spent a couple of months researching and watching youutube videos about the game to get up to date with the current metagame and i feel like ive learned enough to atleast get my foot in the door so with that said on to the Team:

Metajet (Metagross) @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
Shiny: Yes
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake
- Bullet Punch

The base of my team i chose to build my team around mega metagross because it has massive wallbreaking capabilities and a really good coverage movepool meteor mash almost 2Hko's Everything in the current meta that doesn't resist it and gives me a small added chance to boost my attack which just makes it even more of a deadly sweeper. Zen Headbutt is the next choice to hit everything that resist meteor mash Mainly Rotom-W who otherwise walls Metagross and is also a very powerful stab move in itself. I chose to go with EQ over hammer arm because i wanted to be able to possibly lure in Heatran or Zard-X~ and other steel types either KO'ing or do massive damage to the them without having to decrease my stats also its a great lure for Jirachi who thinks it can come in safely then gets unexpectedly Recked! For my Final moveslot i Decided to go with Bullet Punch because i feel like its not a completely terrible move in the current meta also i was getting Pwned by gengar and BP really helped me out with it also i can pick alot of weaken pokes off late game with the boost from Tough Claws.

Volca (Heatran) (F) @ Leftovers
Ability: Flash Fire
EVs: 252 HP / 188 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

I picked Heatran for my next pick because it synergies really well with Mega Metagross being able to check all the steel types, Mega-Sableye and Talonflame who are common switch-ins to it and gives me the oppurtunity to setup my entry hazards. Lava plume is my main stab for hitting azumarill,Landorus-T on predicted switch-Ins and also giving me the chance to get offf a burn on something as well Taunt/Toxic is there to help break stall nd where down walls and also latias/latios so my other members can come in and finished the job after enough damage has been done.

NumbDumb (Slowbro) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
EVs: 252 HP / 232 Def / 24 SpD
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave
- Psyshock

This thing is a Freaking Tank! Slowbro was chose because it complements M-Gross and Heatran quite well and is also a really good check to Lando-T/Garchomp who could run through my team at this point and also other bulky ground types its also one of the best Keldeo counters in the teir who also posed a huge threat to my team The moveset is pretty standard Scald for stab and the 30% chance of burn Slack Off for added recovery along with The Regenerator ability Making Slowbro a very difficult poke to take out quickly it very rarely comes in at low health Psyshock is for weaken sp.walls keldeo, roserade and a predicted gengar switch-in T-wave was chosen for para-Hax and slowing down faster sweepers and boosting mons that counter Mega-Metagross Like Zard-X.

Golden Child (Latias) @ Life Orb
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish
- Defog

Introducing the Golden Child! Latias was basically chosen because i needed a way to get rid of entry hazards and a ground immunity Latias IMO is the best defogger in OU But it also is a good status absorber as well as countering raikou, Keldeo and most importantly mega-Manetric Who could Blow through my whole team with little to no effort I went with Life orb for more power as for moves Draco Meteor is it's main stab of choice and while it doesn't have the nuking power of its counter-part Latios still does hefty damage to anything that doesn't resist or is immune to it. Psyshock is there for basiccally the same thing as slowbro's psyshock and is another relativity powerful stab choice now on to the best move in Latias's arsenal Healing Wish this move has helped me out so much if i have to bring in mega Metagross earlier than i want to take something out and it gets paralyzed, burned, poisoned, ETC i dont have to worry about it becoming useless because i can just bring Latias in when given the chance defog if i need to then healing wish and Boom! Mega Metagross is back to full health and and its status problem is no more and i can proceed to Recked my opponent who thought the game was over!

IceBreaka (Kyurem-Black) @ Life Orb
Ability: Teravolt
Mild Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt
- Roost

The Ice-Cold Serial Killer Kyrem-B is without a doubt one of the most scariest and underused wallbreakers in the OU teir it can hit a multiple threats in the tier for alot of damage and is a great Manaphy counter which was what i desperately needed bacause TL Manaphy was a huge threat to my current team Especially after a plus then i can OHKO my whole team. Ice Beam is its main stabb and ohko's or 2hko's alot of the meta earth power is for Heatran, Zard-X, M-Manetric and any other electric or fire types who wanna switch-in. fusion Bolt is for the bulky water types, Talonflame, manaphy and Rotom-W which get Ohko'd or 2Hko'd if predicted correctly. finally, roost is there for recovery from life orb recoil as it add a little longer sweeping potential to the magnificent Killing Machine.

SmugLeaf (Serperior) (M) @ Life Orb
Ability: Contrary
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Giga Drain

For the last slot i really didnt know what to put here i tried a few different options but i eventually settled with Serperior after a few battles because i thought it had awesome wallbreaking potential with Contrary+Leaf Storm as as after a plus it hits like a monster truck and it gave me another out to bulky waters, Phy. Walls, and Rotom-W. dragon pulse was there to hit the dragon types that switch-in on Serperior nd other mons that resist it's stab atk. HP Rock was chosen to lure in TalonFlame and Volcorona who usually wall serperior completely and after a plus i can OHKo both if i get a predicted switch right . Giga Drain is in the final slot basically for a sencond stab option with recovery to slow the life orb recoil down.

Alright Smogon thats the team i think its a fairly solid team Overall but i do think there are a few holes that need to be patched up that i myself am having trouble with so feel free to give me criticism and suggest possible changes for the team as they are more thank welcomed!

Here Is The Importable Feel Free To Give It A Go!

Metajet (Metagross) @ Metagrossite
Ability: Clear Body
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Zen Headbutt
- Earthquake
- Bullet Punch

EVs: 252 HP / 188 SpD / 68 Spe
Calm Nature
- Lava Plume
- Toxic
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock

NumbDumb (Slowbro) (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Regenerator
Bold Nature
- Scald
- Slack Off
- Thunder Wave
- Psyshock

Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish
- Defog

IceBreaka (Kyurem-Black) @ Life Orb
Mild Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt
- Roost

SmugLeaf (Serperior) (M) @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Giga Drain

Hey, really nice team you got there. Tons of threats on one team :o. Let's see if there's anything that can be fixed.

The first thing that I noticed is how much of a threat Bisharp, offensive SD Scizor (both mega and reg), and low kick weavile can be. To take out the issues of bisharp and scizor, you can try to run a speedy tran (252 timid) with will-o-wisp over toxic or replace slowbro with keldeo if you want to take on all three threats with one mon, as keldeo is one of the best switch ins to dark moves (which your current team doesn't have atm) and offensive scizor has to be wary of a scald burn while getting hit by scald. Keldeo works over slowbro on this team, imo, due to how it synergizes better with this team by not only checking the weaknesses, but also providing a more offensive presence, which an offensive team like this probably benefits more from. You can run specs to deal massive damage to a lot of mons, but I'm leaning more towards a scarf set atm, as the scarf set alleviates the diancie weakness a bit more (as serp is the only check to it if bp on megagross isn't used)

Some minor things that I want to point out.

I would run hammer arm on megagross over earthquake, as hammer arm not only gets the tough claws boost, but it also beats ferro. Hammer arm also allows megagross to beat skarm 1v1, as the speed drops will eventually make it slower than skarm, allowing it to hit skarm for super-effective damage after it roosts. I would only use bullet punch if you're really concerned about diancie and weavile. If those two mons aren't threats due to scarf keldeo, I would run pursuit over bp, as megagross can take out the lati twins through that (megagross still takes about 50% from a lo latios draco, so be wary of that if you need megagross to win the game.

Once again, heatran can be used as a fast support for this team to further check bisharp and scizor, but it's up to you.

I would make latias have 0 atk ivs so that foul play damage and confusion recoil are minimized.

As for kyurem-B, the ev spread can definitely be optimized. Kyurem is best used when taking advantage of its huge offensive stats, so I would run a spread of max sp atk and max speed with the natures up to your choice, if you want more speed or more power. 252 neutral nature for speed allows kyurem to outspeed a max speed gyarados which is pretty handy. 252+ can be used if you're worried a lack of speed. I would also make kyurem 29 hp ivs in order to reduce life orb recoil

Kyurem-Black @ Life Orb
EVs: 4 Atk / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Hasty/Mild Nature
IVs: 29 HP
- Ice Beam
- Fusion Bolt
- Earth Power
- Roost

As for serperior, it's pretty much same repeated nitpicks. 29 hp ivs for less life orb recoil and 0 atk ivs for the same reasons as listed.
Serperior @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
IVs: 29 HP / 0 Atk / 30 Def / 30 SpD / 30 Spe
- Leaf Storm
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Rock]
- Giga Drain

Pretty solid team, with a lot of threats. If I happen to remember or think of anything, I'll definitely come back to write it out. Hope I helped :]

Oh yeah, I noticed that excadrill in sand becomes a huge issue with the removal of Slowbro. You can try running timid max speed tran to lure adamant drills outside of sand, but if you want a better check to drill while taking on bisharp and scizor, you can replace tran with tank chomp.

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 248 HP / 164 Def / 96 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Dragon Tail
- Earthquake
- Fire Blast

You do become a bit weaker to stall with tank chomp though, due to the loss of toxic and taunt from tran. I think it's pretty much personal preference at this point lol.

hey there ImperialGaming2k I like your squad, you cover a fair few threats and have some cool lures, hp rock serperior is a cool set that can work on some teams. like the rater above though, i noticed that the team struggles a lot with threats like fast mega scizor, sd bisharp, and to some extent low kick weavile. you also don't really have a dedicated win condition aside from life orb serperior, which is prone to recoil and worn down easily by hazards. additionally, the team struggles to come in repeatedly on threats like breloom and excadrill in particular. excadrill has a good chance to ohko slowbro after swords dance and stealth rock, while breloom is only really checked by your mega metagross if it can stay at high health. latias can check it as well as manectric and raikou once or twice, but is heavily pressured by a combination of electric + grass / water (read breloom / keld), which is a very common combination to take advantage of mons like hippowdon and in your case slowbro. diancie is also a massive annoyance as its main answers consist of metagross and serperior, neither of which come in easily. you also struggle quite a bit w/ common stall variants like branflakes' shedinja stall and abr's weavile stall, as you're overly dependent on heatran to check mega sableye which is easily overwhelmed by dugtrio in the case of shedinja stall or simply walled by chansey and seismic tossed into band weavile's knock off range. i also noticed that the matchup against ferrothorn, spdef skarmory, or opposing sub seed serperior is quite challenging as your best check to both is spdef heatran, which is easily knocked off and beaten over the course of a game. tornadus-t is also pretty threatening as you literally have no check to come in safely on life orb hurricane and superpower. finally, it's a tad odd to have full investment into hp and defense on kyurem-b with that set: it doesn't seem to accomplish any purpose that a full speed, full special attack spread would do and is significantly weaker, missing out on some substantial kos. however, that's enough nitpicking, let's get right into the rate.

the team thus far would really appreciate having more coverage for ferrothorn given that latias, this metagross, and serperior / slowbro all struggle tro break it aside from a critical hit. metagross can potentially help break fatter builds with hammer arm like the rater above me mentioned and wear down skarmory for your other mons. like the above rater again, pursuit over bullet punch is a good idea to check lati@s more effectively and remove them from the game. also consider using grass knot over one of the above to help lure quagsire and slowbro, which is fairly likely given that grass knot is criminally underused on most builds. it also gives another means of effectively checking mega swampert rain builds which is nice i suppose.

an important change that i would make is to change kyurem-b's set to naive expert belt with hp fire. expert belt kyurem has similar breaking power against super-effective targets to the life orb set, but takes no recoil and bluffs choice scarf reasonably well. it's a very common scenario for scizor to pivot into kyurem's ice beam looking to safely mega evolve while forcing kyurem out. this way, you can ice beam the scizor as it comes in and then surprise it with hidden power fire. you can do the same with waters like keldeo, azumarill, manaphy, and potentially volcanion using fusion bolt and earth power. you do lose roost, but not taking recoil and helping to lure out mons like ferrothorn for your other team members is huge. a plus speed nature also massively improves its matchup against a host

->
slowbro saps tons of momentum from your team and increases the weakness to mega diancie and breloom because slowbro gives it a free turn to come in each time and either spore / bseed / sd which is pretty obviously not good. scarf keldeo also checks bisharp and weavile nicely and can outspeed mega lop to take it out before it does too much damage. it also synergizes well w/ metagross running pursuit for lati@s and checking amoonguss pretty well if you've sacked a mon to sleep fodder it.

-> without slowbro, the team needs a check to excadrill, mega lop, and +1 charx (which mind you most of the team members stop from setting up with serp removed). double dance landorus-t with some bulk investment is able to check these mons once in the midgame and receive a healing wish from latias to set up later. additionally, it provides some nice power for mons like quagsire which will wall your team if you're not running grass knot and can put some more pressure on fat builds, trading pretty well with cm twave clef. it also performs very well against shedinja stall with a healing wish support as after sd, every team member should drop to it.

-> finally, a more offensive heatran would be a good idea to actually pressure some mega sableye and stallbreak. offensive magma storm w/ rocks and taunt + toxic can take out chansey for kyurem-b, and increased speed allows heatran to check offensive mega scizor more effectively. earth power is an option if you're confident in not needing toxic or taunt to check mega zardx more reliably, but that's an aside.

so the team had some good ideas going for it and i think these changes complement that. alternative options include running rocks on a defensive landorus with more bulk investment and air balloon heatran to reliably check sand, but then the team has no real win condition aside from using metagross to pursuit lati@s and winning w/ scarf keldeo which is pretty flawed for a variety of reasons not least of which is amoonguss' existence. the team requires good play around sand and not letting excadrill coming in for free because you don't come in that well at all but that's really it, as well as good play against stall builds. i think the shed stall matchup is winnable though for sure

best of luck broski n_n
Thunder Waved (Metagross-Mega) @ Metagrossite
Ability: Tough Claws
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Meteor Mash
- Hammer Arm
- Zen Headbutt / Grass Knot
- Pursuit

EVs: 112 HP / 144 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Magma Storm
- Taunt
- Toxic
- Stealth Rock

Partner in Crime (Keldeo) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Justified
Timid Nature
- Hydro Pump
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Hidden Power [Electric]

Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Healing Wish
- Defog

IceBreaka (Kyurem-Black) @ Expert Belt
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Naive Nature
- Ice Beam
- Earth Power
- Fusion Bolt
- Hidden Power [Fire]

San Francisco (Landorus-Therian) @ Earth Plate
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 80 HP / 196 Atk / 232 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Rock Polish
- Swords Dance

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)