Mega Moustachio RMT V1

Alright, check it. This will be the first team I've ever created specifically for pvp purposes, I've done quite a bit of lurking around various sites and checking out successful teams and I think I may have at least a somewhat decent one here.

Ferrothorn (M) @ Rocky Helmet
Trait: Iron Barbs
EVs: 252 HP / 88 Def / 168 SDef
Relaxed Nature (+Def, -Spd)
- Leech Seed
- Toxic
- Power Whip
- Explosion

Ferrothorn is a straight wall. The strategy is to toxic, leech seed, stall, explode when HP gets too low. Plus, the Iron barbs/Rocky helmet combo is a deadly one for physical attackers. Thinking of subbing explosion for spikes. Power whip is, of course, so that Ferro won't be totally useless after setting up and so that he has a decent attack option. Originally, I had him set with ingrain and a big root instead of rocky helm to boost his recovery options and make him nothing but a staller, however, without a mean look setup and the inability to switch after ingrain, I couldn't find much use for that setup in OU. EVs are all defensive to increase walling capabilty and to max out that life bar. The extra SDef EVs are to survive those darn flamethrower abusers that are all over the place.

Scizor (F) @ Life Orb
Trait: Technician
EVs: 176 HP / 176 Atk / 100 SDef / 56 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- U-turn
- Pursuit
- Bullet Punch
- Roost

Technician boosted scizor. He will likely be my lead in as he makes for a decent scout. If I hit a bad matchup, U-turn outta there. If its a good matchup and the enemy decides to bamf, pursuit them on the way out for big damage. Life orb can hurt longevity so thats why I opted for roost over superpower, I already have two T-tar counters I am worried, however that tech/life orb bullet punch won't be able to handle as many threats as would having superpower, so I'm curious if the roost recovery is indeed worth the moveslot. Also, I used an unconventional EV spread to deal with multiple situations and the extra SpDef EVs have saved my butt a few times..

Jellicent (M) @ Leftovers
Trait: Cursed Body
EVs: 248 HP / 216 Def / 44 SDef
Calm Nature (+SDef, -Atk)
- Recover
- Scald
- Will-O-Wisp
- Ice Beam

Jellicent fills in the hole in my defenses. his role is to burn the enemy, crippling physical attackers and wall special sweepers. Scald doesn't burn quite enough for me, and since burning is a major part of his strategy I opted for will o wisp. I gave him leftovers primarily to help him withstand sandstorms, as he's the only one on my team affected by them I have T-tar down there with sand stream who generally wont come in as much as you might think. I've considered energy ball as an alternative to ice beam, but I feel that creates poor synergy with Ferrothorn. His EVs are all setup for boosting defensive capability and maximizing survivability

Heatran (F) @ Choice Scarf
Trait: Flash Fire
EVs: 4 HP / 252 SAtk / 252 Spd
Timid Nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Fire Blast
- Earth Power
- Dragon Pulse
- Hidden Power [Ice]

Good 'ol Heatran! This build is directly out of the smogon description. If it ain't broke, don't fix it! The fire immunity is a major help on this guy too. This little guy has some heavy hitting special sweeping options. Fire blast makes a powerful STAB, Earth Power is to help deal with other Heatran, Dragon pulse is mainly to deal with Dragonite and the increasingly common Hydreigon, and HP ice works to help take down birds, though I'm worried about its synergy with Dragon Pulse. His EVs are setup purely for special sweeping, to outspeed and hit hard, with 4 EVs in HP to add a little extra life bar.

Skarmory (M) @ Shed Shell
Trait: Sturdy
EVs: 252 HP / 100 Def / 100 SDef / 56 Spd
Impish Nature (+Def, -SAtk)
- Roost
- Stealth Rock
- Roar
- Brave Bird

Mostly used as my stealth rock setter and PHaser. I gave him shed shell to bamf in case of Magnezone. Makes a decent physical wall too and the ground immunity is invaluable. I opted for Brave Bird as a powerful STAB since I decided to opt for the Roost recovery. I originally wanted to have him set spikes as well, but I find the setup time consuming and not as much fun to play. Since he is a Stealth rock setter, I opted for defensive EVs to increase walling/Phasing capability and 56 in Speed to beat slower heavy hitters.

Tyranitar (F) @ (No Item)
Trait: Sand Stream
EVs: 44 HP / 252 Atk / 44 Def / 168 Spd
Adamant Nature (+Atk, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- Crunch
- Thunderbolt

Dino-Myte! Dino here serves two main functions, a physical sweeper and a weather counter. STAB crunch serves to help deal with those pesky psychic types and thunderbolt is kind of a last ditch measure, though I almost feel the slot is wasted. Earthquake, of course, is near obligatory on T-tar nowadays and Stone edge makes for a scary STAB. He switches in surprisingly well on weather casters like Ninetails and Rain dance Defensve Starmie. However, I don't know what item I should give him!! Perhaps a choice scarf for the speed boost or lightning gem to boost emergency Thunderbolt. I find him difficult to maintain with choice items, but perhaps my strategy is lacking. His EV spread focuses on maximizing attack while adding some survivabilty and a minor speed boost.

I'm sure my team has gaping holes, but as I said, it's my first team ever so help me out!

Electrolyte

Wouldn't Wanna Know
is a Top Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Hey, I got your request!

Welcome to Smogon! You have a decent defensive team with you- not bad for a beginner. However, you do have some weaknesses. Rock Polish Landorus can definitely do some major damage to your team, and Agility Thundurus can sweep you with Focus Blast / Thunderbolt / HP Ice. With your only Sun resist given an offensive role, you'd also probably find Sun teams trouble, since you have quite a few Steels on your team. This also makes Magnezone problematic for you; it can easily switch in and quickly dispose of your Skarmory, Ferrothorn, and Scizor, as well as do heavy damage to Jellicent / Ttar with thunderbolt / flash cannon. You're also weak to many fighting types because of this- Breloom in particular, who can beat your whole team one on one with Spore + Mach Punch / Bullet Seed. I think Skarmory is your weakest link. Hazards can be easily given to any other pokemon on your team, and the ability to wall fighting types is already fulfilled by Jellicent. The problem with Skarmory is that its typing does not synergize well- it adds yet another Fire weakness, as well as an Electric weakness. I think a proper pokemon to use over Skarmory is Calm Mind Latias. Latias's massive special bulk and resistance to fighting type moves make her a great candidate for a slot on your team. She's got great Special Defense, which you can use to tank hits from Thundurus and Landorus, giving you a good answer to them both. Latias's also walls and sets up on Sun teams- as it resists Ninetale's STABs and can recover off burn damage. It can also beat Venasaur one on one with Psyshock, which you can also ise to beat Breloom, Keldeo, and Terrakion. Latias's Calm Mind lets her set up on nearly many special sponges you face, including Amoonguss, Slowbro, Magnezone, or Politoed. Latias is particularly good at beating Magnezone, who can't really touch her without Flash Cannon, which also does little after a CM boost. The reason why I suggest you run CM over LO Offensive is because it has better bulk as well as the ability to set up and clean after you are done stalling. Dragon Pulse and Psyshock are your STAB moves, and despite being weak initially they become powerful quickly after a boost or two. Recover lets you heal off SStorm damage / resisted hits, letting you come in more. Calm Mind boosts both your power and your bulk- which lets you sweep teams.

I'm also questioning Heatran's set. You have a scarfed Tran, which is generally unsuited for a stall team such as yours, especially when Specially Defensive Heatran over Scarftran. The problem with ScarfTran is that it's easily forced out since it's a bit weak and slower than most other scarfers. It's also unfit for your team since your team is more defensive. Specially Defensive Heatran will help you take hits that you don't want Latias or Tyranitar to switch in to- such as Draco Meteors or Bug Buzzes. It would also help you beat Sun easier- switching in to Ninetales or Venasaur without worry. Lava Plume is your attacking move as it can burn as well as hit things decently hard. Roar lets you phaze, and force out setup sweepers that would tear you apart. Toxic and Protect let you stall out opponents with Sandstorm damage. It can also let you scout against VoltTurn teams.

Now, for some smaller set changes / ev spread changes:

On Ferrothorn, I'd use Gyro Ball and Spikes over Explosion and Toxic. Spikes lets you lay down hazards which will definitely help in speeding up the stall process. Gyro Ball lets you defeat faster DDancers such ad Salamence or Dragonite. It also hits RP Landorus very hard after it speeds up.

On Tyranitar, I'd use a spread of 252 HP / 4 Atk / 252 SpDef Adamant with Pursuit and Stealth Rock over Earthquake and Thunderbolt. Stealth Rocks are again mandatory hazards for any defensive team, and Pursuit lets you trap + kill psychics / ghosts. Thunderbolt is a bad move on TTar because TTar has low SpA and it won't being doing much to the very bulky water types that usually switch in to TTar. Also, don't forget to use Leftovers on Tyranitar, as that will make it last longer.

Your Scizor looks odd as well. It's as if you're trying to mix SD with Band Scizor- which won't work out too great in the end. I'd say go with bulky Swords Dance, as it can hit tremendously hard as well as take a few hits here and there. A spread of 252 HP / 40 Atk / 216 SpDef Adamant with Swords Dance, Bug Bite and Superpower over U-Turn, Pursuit, and Roost and with Lefties over Life Orb would work best. This spread gives you more physical and special bulk, and the ability to setup quickly and hit hard. Bug Bite is your STAB move and because of Technician is very powerful. Superpower lets you beat steel types such as Skarmory or Magnezone who think they can switch in.

Finally, I'd give Jellicent Taunt over Ice Beam. You don't have a spinner, so some spikestacking steels such as Ferrothorn or Forretress could be annoying. Taunt prevents you from being setup upon by those bulkier pokemon.

It's a lot of changes, but I hope you find them useful! Good luck!

Latias @ Leftovers
Timid / 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 Spe
Dragon Pulse / Calm Mind / Recover / Psyshock

Heatran @ Leftovers
Calm / 252 HP / 4 SpA / 252 SpD
Lava Plume / Roar / Toxic / Protect

I understand what you mean about skarmory, Latias would make a fine addition, but simply for the sake of my preferences, I'd like to avoid legendaries as much as possible (Heatran is crucial to my strategy and he's one of my favorites so I made an exception for him) Perhaps a spDef, trick room xatu or a walling Reniculus?

As far as Ferrothorn, I'm definitely considering gyro ball, but I definitely prefer toxic over spikes. I explained in my skarmory detail that I dislike using spikes because of the extra long setup and honestly its not as fun to me, yanno? personal preference.

as for Scizor wouldn't the suggested moveset reduce his scouting capabilities? Losing U-turn and pursuit makes him difficult to scout with and losing technician Mach punch as a priority move hurts alot. Roost is interchangeable, perhaps Superpower or bug bite with an EV change?

Taunt on Jellicent seems like a great idea, I have definitely thought about that and it seems to synergize better with my other pokes. I thought tourney rules only allowed for 1 Lefties user? if so, I'd prefer to keep them on Jelly since T-tar has his sand stream. If he comes out, I need them to help out jelly's staying power in a sandstorm.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)