ORAS OU Mega Pinsir

This is a mega Pinsir team that I had help tweaking so let me know if u catch something else.
Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Ability: Hyper Cutter
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack
- Return
- Swords Dance
Mega Pinsir is the star of the team with a high base attack stat of 155 and a moderate base speed at 105 along with set up capabilities and a STAB priority move thanks to Aerilate Mega Pinsir can OHKO almost anything that's slower than it as well as getting off a lot of damage on things faster with Quick attack.

Magnezone @ Choice Specs
Ability: Magnet Pull
EVs: 252 SpA / 4 SpD / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk / 30 SpA / 30 Spe
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch
The first thing about Mega Pinsir is its glaring weakness to skarmory so we have a nice Specs Magnezone to 2 hit KO skarmory as well as other steel types such as non superpower Scizor and an already choiced Jirachi.

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Intimidate
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
Landorus is the physical wall because of threats like talonflame that out prioritize and out speed Magnezone and mega Pinsir. This also helps give momentum and to set up rocks to help with Mega Pinsir sweeping.

Latias @ Leftovers
Ability: Levitate
Timid Nature
IVs: 0 Atk
- Defog
- Healing Wish
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
Latias is the first for, of hazard control as well as another hard hitting special attacker with good bulk. Defog is to clear away rocks and other hazards that hinder mega Pinsir. Healing wish is to provide a win con another life if it gets too low. Draco and psyshock are Latias' two main forms of STAB attacks and hits hard.

Excadrill @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Mold Breaker
Jolly Nature
- Earthquake
- Iron Head
- Rapid Spin
- Rock Slide
Next we have a scarf excadrill. Scarf Excadrill is here to provide a check to mega diancie which is a big threat to the team as well as more speed control, and rapid spin to remove hazards if we want/ need to keep ours up. EQ and Iron Head are Exca's main STAB moves and rockslide for coverage and to provide a check for non focus blast thunderous.

Starmie @ Life Orb
Ability: Natural Cure
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Ice Beam
- Rapid Spin
- Recover
And lastly starmie. Starmie serves as a non scarfed answer to mega diancie as well as serving as another rapid spinner scald is a guaranteed OHKO on mega diancie as well as a 30% chance to burn. Ice beam for coverage and recover to help with Starmie's sustainability with the life orb for added damage.
So that's the team let me know if u have any suggestions/ improvements :)

Hey man! Cool team but here are a few suggestions:

First off, unless you're using Magnezone as bait for fighting types to get a free pivot into Pinsir, I think that making the switch from Magnezone into Raikou would work a lot better. Raikou offers nearly the same thing except it has a higher base speed, allowing for pivots without taking free damage. On top of that, Magnezone, Mega Pinsir, and Excadrill all share a heavy fire weakness which raikou doesn't share. This way you are able to scare away fire types from switching into raikou and when you pivot with volt switch it won't be as dangerous. You can use this set with Calm Mind as found here, as it gives you another win condition besides Pinsir.

Secondly, I think that your Starmie is very redundant in this team. You already have two hazard removers so the only thing it really offers is ice coverage which, while nice, isn't worth a whole slot on its own. I think that you could replace
Starmie with Rotom-Wash. This would, rather than physical, be a mixed wall with 248 HP Evs, 152 Def Evs and 108 Spd Evs. It would run Will-O-Wisp, Pain Split, Hydro Pump, and volt switch. This allows for more pivot with volt switch as well as another wall which you were lacking. It keeps the typing and STAB of water which can at times be useful as well as provides with a switch in to ground types like garchomp, Landorus-T, Excadrill, Hippowdon etc. as well as flying types like talonflame. Since your team has a ground and fire weakness this pokemon fits very well, especially with the pivot.

Overall, these two pokemon do a better job of being able to not only take out Pinsir's threats as well as being able to switch into pinsir.

Onto some smaller changes, I feel like excadrill having mold breaker but being scarfed is a little counter intuitive. You'd usually run Scarf to outspeed other Drills and a few other select pokemon, but with mold breaker instead of sand rush you're outsped by other excadrills that have hippo or tyranitar on their side. I'd say that since opposing excadrills aren't too much of a threat thanks to rotom-W you should change your item on Excadrill from Choice Scarf into an Earth plate. (This is because you don't want life orb due to spinning taking HP, but you still want increased Earthquake damage with Mold Breaker.

I think that about does it for what I'd change, though here are some things to think about:

1. You have some very fast mons but be careful because Pinsir is still your only source of priority. This can be dangerous against things like Weavile, Mamoswine, Bisharp, scizor, and more.
  2. You dont have many statuses or a cleric or a stallbreaker. This is one thing that scares me. Though you have the resources to deal with stall teams, they'll still prove to be a problem without taunts or statuses. On top of that you have no cleric so they can easily stall you out with burns and poisons since you have no way to cure them.
Overall the team is not that bad, and it's a good idea. Hope you have good luck with it!

BreloomMyHomie

Golden State Warriors Bandwagon Fan
Hey man, nice team you have there. I have a couple of suggestions. The biggest threat to the team is Mega Gyarados. Mega Gyarados finds set up opportunities vs Excadrill, Starmie, Leftovers Latias, and Landorus-T. In addition, the only Pokemon that can take a +1 attack from Mega Gyarados is Pinsir, but relying on your SR weak Pokemon to stop a threat, or relying on Starmie to get a Scald burn isn't ideal. One of the biggest threats to the team is Weavile because not only do you lack a solid switch-in to its STAB attacks, but your only check to it is Scarf Excadrill. In addition, because Excadrill needs its Scarf in order to check Weavile, you're going to have to sack something before sending it out, which is very detrimental. Bisharp is a huge problem for this team as well because after setting up a Swords Dance on Latias, who can't do much damage since it doesn't have a Life Orb, you get swept(unless you get all the 50/50s right with Mega Pinsir). Any variant of Azumarill can be a nuisance to the team since outside of Magnezone and Mega Pinsir, you don't have much that can put enough offensive pressure on it. Finally, I feel like three hazard removers is pretty redundant, even though hazard control with Mega Pinsir is practically mandatory.

First, I recommend Azumarill>Starmie. Starmie is essentially Mega Gyarados setup fodder and since you have Latias to check Keldeo and get rid of hazards for Mega Pinsir, Starmie isn't necessary. On the flip side, Azumarill is a great Mega Gyarados check, taking any attack at +1, including Earthquake, and OHKO with a Play Rough. Even if your opponent sent Gyarados on your Azumarill to get the intimidate, Play Rough is still going to do enough to the point where Mega Pinsir and Scarf Landorus-T(I'll talk about that later) can knock it out. Azumarill also is a pretty good Weavile check, taking any hit it wants to throw at it bar Poison Jab, and OHKOes it back with Play Rough.

252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Gyarados: 324-382 (97.8 - 115.4%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Mega Gyarados: 330-390 (99.6 - 117.8%) -- 93.8% chance to OHKO

-1 252+ Atk Choice Band Huge Power Azumarill Play Rough vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Gyarados: 216-255 (65.2 - 77%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Next, I suggest replacing Excadrill with Garchomp and Rocky Helmet with Choice Scarf on Landorus-T. Rocky Helmet Garchomp can switch into anything Bisharp goes for, and it can take a +2 Sucker Punch and retaliate back with an Earthquake. Because of TankChomp's access to Stealth Rocks and the Azumarill change, it allows Landorus-T to go Choice Scarf. Scarf Landorus-T is a great check to Adamant Charizard X, outspeeding it after a Dragon Dance and killing it with an Earthquake. If Charizard X is Jolly, don't fret, because CB Azumarill beats it 1v1. In addition, Scarf Landorus-T plays a similar role to Excadrill, checking both Mega Manectric, Mega Diancie, and the Lati-Twins. Also, with Knock Off, you'll be able to knock off potential Shed Shells on Skarmories, since Skarmory is a usual switch-in to Scarf Lando-T, allowing Magnezone to trap it and kill it with Thunderbolt, paving the way for a Mega Pinsir sweep.

Thirdly, I'd modify the Latias set. By changing the initial EV spread to 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe Timid Nature, you aren't 2HKOed by LO Thundurus's HP ice. In addition, with Life Orb>Leftovers, you can OHKO Thundurus-I back with a Draco Meteor.

Lastly, I'd go Scarf Magnezone>Specs. LO Kyurem-B can be troublesome since your only check to it is Latias, and Scarf Magnezone outspeeds it and does a significant amount of damage with Flash Cannon. Scarf Magnezone gives you a more reliable answer to opposing Mega Pinsir since Stone Edge isn't always going to hit. It also gives your team a better way of dealing with water types such as Tail Glow Manaphy and CB Azumarill, and fairy types such as Mega Gardevoir and Clefable.

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack
- Return
- Swords Dance

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch

Landorus-Therian @ Choice Scarf
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Earthquake
- Stone Edge
- U-turn

Latias @ Life Orb
EVs: 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock
- Defog
- Healing Wish

Azumarill @ Choice Band
Ability: Huge Power
EVs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Spe (For speed creep)
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Superpower

Garchomp @ Rocky Helmet
Ability: Rough Skin
EVs: 240 HP / 176 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Stealth Rock
- Earthquake
- Dragon Tail
- Fire Blast

Overall, the Scarf Kyurem-B weakness is pretty evident on the updated team, but just adding new Pokemon/sets such as Garchomp and Landorus-T allows you to put more pressure on opposing Azumarills. Good luck m8.

REPLAY: http://replay.pokemonshowdown.com/ou-391477980 vs Weavile.

Last edited:
Thank you guys so much for the suggestions and I'll be testing them out to see which ones fit the team best overall :)

Hello, very nice mega pinsir team you have here. I like how you have magnezone to trap things like skarmory to open up for pinsir. I do see some few threats tho. First off i notice bisharp giving you alot of problems. Espeically with 2 psychics on your team and also how you have an intimidate user in landorus-therian. Next i notice Mega Dianice being a huge threat. I can see some fairy types giving you some trouble too. Things like mega diancie are pretty hard to switch into for your team. Dragon types like latios/latias/kyreum-b are very hard to deal with on your team due to them just constantly spamming dragon attacks like draco metor which wear down ur steel types. I have a few ideas in mind to improve this team while keeping the main idea of eliminating pinsir checks and winning with pinsir.

My first recommendation is to run keldeo over starmie. Keldeo can help you versus annoying dark types like bisharp/weavile/gyrados-mega. Keldeo can still act as a bulky water type like starmie and you already have a bulky psychic type in latias. I did remove your rapid spin however you already had hazard removal with defog on latias.

My next suggestion is to run clefable over excadrill. This allows you to have a consistent dragon switch in so dragon types cannot just spam their attack and wear your team down. With scarf excadrill gone you can lose a bit of speed control but that be gained back by running thunder wave on your clefable to have better speed control. This can also help a bit with mega diancie as standard 32 evs dianice cannot 2ko you with any hit so you can just stall the dianice-mega out of diamond storms.

My next recommendation is to run 72 hp / 184 Spa / 252 Spe instead of max spa, max hp to allow you to better deal with those pesky electric types that annoy pinsir-mega. You should also probably run life orb instead of leftovers on latias. Without life orb latias loses a lot of power. For example latias is not able to oko medicam or keldeo with any of its moves.
252 SpA Latias Psyshock vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Keldeo: 254-300 (78.6 - 92.8%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

252 SpA Latias Draco Meteor vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega Medicham: 217-256 (83.1 - 98%) -- guaranteed 2HKO

Another suggestion i have is to run scarf magnezone over specs magnezone. This allows you to have an easier time versus dianice-mega as now you outspeed and can threaten it with a flash cannon. The role of eliminating steel types is still able to be done with scarf magnezone.

My last recommendation is to run 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe over 92 speed / 164 def / 252 def on landorus-therian. I know your landorus-therian was made to outspeed bisharp but that is not needed anymore as you can use keldeo to deal with bisharp. Running a bulkier spread is more helpful here to have more longevity against things like excadrill/lopunny-mega etc.

Landorus-Therian @ Leftovers
EVs: 252 HP / 240 Def / 8 SpD / 8 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- U-turn
- Stone Edge
- Stealth Rock

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack
- Return
- Swords Dance

Clefable @ Leftovers
Ability: Magic Guard
EVs: 252 HP / 172 Def / 84 SpD
Calm Nature
- Moonblast
- Soft-Boiled
- Thunder Wave
- Calm Mind

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch

Keldeo @ Life Orb
Ability: Justified
EVs: 24 HP / 232 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Scald
- Secret Sword
- Rest
- Sleep Talk

I chose a rest talk keldeo for your team to give you a very reliable fire and dark check. As this keldeo set will not get worn down by toxic from heatran or all the knock off spam it has to take.

Latias @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Healing Wish
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock

bludz

a waffle is like a pancake with a syrup trap
is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnus
Hey, Mega Pinsir is a pretty cool mon right now so I was interested to see what you did here. I like some of your initial decisions but I think I could help improve this team.

First thing that stands out to me is that you have 3 hazard removers. This is serious overkill even on a team featuring Mega Pinsir - you really only need one. The next thing is that your team features no resist for Dark type moves, meaning you will have problems switching into common threats like Weavile and Bisharp. This team also has issues with Tornadus-T and Talonflame to a lesser extent. Bulky Psychic types are also annoying to break - while Pinsir and Magnezone technically beat Slowbro, it is still a nuisance to the team, as is Suicune.

I've reviewed some of the above rates after deciding how I wanted to rate the team and it turns out BreloomMyHomie made a lot of the suggestions I planned to make. I'll still go over these choices but essentially agree with him a lot.

First is Azu > Starmie. Obvious step is to get rid of extra hazard removers and try to patch up weaknesses. CB Azumarill helps with Weavile, bulky grounds, and Knocks Off items from mons like Rotom and Skarmory to ease Pinsir sweeps. Honestly such a great offensive staple which helps patch up some weaknesses by adding priority and is still a backup Keldeo check if you need it. I like a speedy spread on Azu since it'll outpace more Skarms and Mega Scizors.

Next change is Latias EV spread. This has been gone over but the 72 HP / 184 SpA / 252 Spe spread helps tank hits a little better especially since it's your switchin to beasts like Zard Y and Specs Volcanion. Thunderbolt is also an option to try to pressure bulky waters a bit more since Venusaur is pretty uncommon which is one of the main uses for Psyshock.

I also agree on Scarf > Specs Magnezone for this team. It alleviates some of the pressure against offensive mons like Diancie and Keldeo whole also outspeeding offensive Scizor which can be an issue to you if it sets up.

Now my last change is a bit different so bear with me. I think between Mag/Pinsir/Azu you are dealing with bulky teams OK since Pinsir tends to be a problem after Skarm is removed. That said Amoonguss may be the Azu switchin meaning removing it's Shed Shells isn't always feasible. Also mons like Thundurus, Torn-T and Serperior are still pretty annoying. So my next suggestion is to add a primary offense killer.

As I alluded to before, multiple hazard removers aren't necessary so the next mon I would replace is Excadrill. Weavile is a mon which helps check a multitude of threats on offense and in general applies a ton of pressure. Another mon which hates Steels which Mag can remove and helps deal with bulky grounds outside of Azu, bulky grasses outside of Pinsir. It doesn't help the Talonflame matchup but does give you another pseudo answer to opposing Darks. Finally it lures Skarm as another Knock Off user. I would run Poison Jab in the final slot since it helps a bit with Clefable and luring opposing Azumarills. I don't think Pursuit is necessary on this team, and Low Kick isn't really needed since Ferro, Ttar and Heatran are handled decently by the current team already. Another option is to try Swords Dance since this can also crush Clefable, and helps with Mega Slowbro and Suicune if you setup on their switchin. Admittedly Low Kick would help with Bisharp but between Rocky Helmet and 3 priority users, you can definitely handle it if you smack it while it sets up. Mag can help w Bisharp as well, like doubling out from Latias to get the trap.

Azumarill @ Choice Band
EVs: 52 HP / 252 Atk / 204 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Aqua Jet
- Knock Off

Latias @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Draco Meteor
- Psyshock / Thunderbolt
- Healing Wish
- Defog

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
EVs: 4 Def / 252 SpA / 252 Spe
Timid Nature
- Volt Switch
- Hidden Power Fire
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 252 Atk / 4 Def / 252 Spe
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Poison Jab / Swords Dance

These changes do make you weaker to Mega Manectric now that Scarf Exca is gone. Fortunately, Latias soft checks it and after a few rounds of hazards you can hit it with priority moves and eliminate it. Choice Band Weavile is something else you can try since there's no recoil and it applies more pressure to bulky teams, but I think being able to switch up moves is pretty imperative. Talonflame also remains an issue, but if you can keep Rocks up it should be okay. You can try Feint on Pinsir if this is too much of an issue.

One last thing to consider is Latios in the place of Latias. A coverage move or Heal Block can be used over Healing Wish to help apply more offensive pressure.

PS I think your Lando-T speed creep is fine. You may get the jump on some Volcanions which is nice since you don't like switching into it.

Hope this was helpful!

Last edited:
If Talonflame is an issue, just run Feint on Pinsir, with Stealth Rock damage and a Swords Dance Boost, it OHKOes the bird.

Thanks for all of the help with the team and I think I've used all your advice to finalize the team so that scarf Kyurem B is the only major threat

Pinsir-Mega @ Pinsirite
Jolly Nature
- Close Combat
- Quick Attack
- Return
- Swords Dance

Magnezone @ Choice Scarf
Timid Nature
- Hidden Power [Fire]
- Flash Cannon
- Thunderbolt
- Volt Switch

Landorus-Therian @ Rocky Helmet
EVs: 252 HP / 164 Def / 92 Spe
Impish Nature
- Earthquake
- Stealth Rock
- Stone Edge
- U-turn
I kept the Lando set for speed creep and as the teams rocker as well as a slower pivot against other scarf landos

Latias @ Life Orb
Timid Nature
- Defog
- Healing Wish
- Draco Meteor
- Psychic
I took the advice of several of u and changed the Ev spread to 72 hp max speed and 184 SpA allowing it to better deal with thunderous by living an HP ice then OHKO with a Draco.

Weavile @ Life Orb
Ability: Pressure
Jolly Nature
- Knock Off
- Icicle Crash
- Ice Shard
- Poison Jab
Weavile is here to serve as an answer to Torn T and thunderous which were huge issues before with poison jab to help with Clefable

Azumarill @ Assault Vest
EVs: 156 HP / 252 Atk / 100 Spe
Adamant Nature
- Aqua Jet
- Play Rough
- Waterfall
- Superpower
Azu was changed from starmie and I put AV over a choice Band since my Torn T switch ins are essentially non existent.
Thank you all once again and let me know if u see any issues other than scarf Kyruem B on this team :)

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)