Arceus @ Draco Plate
Trait: Multitype
EVs: 252 SpA / 40 SpD / 216 Spe
Timid Nature

- Judgment
- Calm Mind
- Recover
- Fire Blast?

252 SpA Draco Plate Arceus-Dragon Judgment vs. 0 HP / 4 SpD Mega Rayquaza: 372-438 (105.9 - 124.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO + can take a Dragon Ascent
252 SpA Draco Plate Arceus-Dragon Judgment vs. 128 HP / 0 SpD Groudon: 204-240 (54.6 - 64.3%) -- guaranteed 2HKO + can easily tank an Earthquake

Also Scarf Reshiram/Kyurem-W... which can't OHKO Groudon. Great.

SD Mega Ray is an idiot and uncompetitive set, it finds way too many set up opportunities and is basically impossible to stop at +2 due to ExtremeSpeed, V-create, great bulk and absolutely retarded ability. Unlike Extreme Killer, this guy shits on stall, except maybe if Lugia's Multiscale is still intact (but even then, max/max Lugia takes about 55% from +2 dragon ascent.)

Killua kun

Pkmn/HxH
is a Tiering Contributor Alumnus
Clearly, mega-rayquaza doesn't have a counter and it is very difficult to revengekill after a dragon dance, the only fast pokemon can do that would be scarfmewtwo or scarfditto, which copies the boost. And mega-aerodactyl isn't a check simply because rayquaza main stab dragon is outrage that can be ohko if i send him‏

+1 DD LO rayquaza can already OHKO ditto iirc but maybe ditto can ohko at +2 idk
Ditto needs to have the opposing rayq have a -1 def drop from ascend, as espeed doesn't kill otherwise. This is the case with +2 ray. Even if you can't kill it from full, chanses are it is already sufficiently weakened, or will die to the next life orb hit.

Clearly, mega-rayquaza doesn't have a counter and it is very difficult to revengekill after a dragon dance, the only fast pokemon can do that would be scarfmewtwo or scarfditto, which copies the boost. And mega-aerodactyl isn't a check simply because rayquaza main stab dragon is outrage that can be ohko if i send him‏
A Mega-Ray can definitely be revenge killed if it has suffered some damage already. However, SD Mega-Ray can OHKO Mewtwo with Espeed before it can do anything. Ditto will at least get off an Espeed of its own before dying.

Some calcs:

252 SpA Mewtwo Ice Beam vs. 0 HP / 0 SpD Mega-Rayquaza: 224-264 (63.8 - 75.2%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Mega-Rayquaza Extreme Speed vs. 4 HP / 0 Def Mewtwo: 347-409 (98 - 115.5%) -- 87.5% chance to OHKO

+2 252+ Atk Ditto Extreme Speed vs. 0 HP / 4 Def Rayquaza: 243-287 (69.2 - 81.7%) -- guaranteed 2HKO
+2 252+ Atk Life Orb Mega-Rayquaza Extreme Speed vs. 248 HP / 4 Def Ditto: 316-373 (105.6 - 124.7%) -- guaranteed OHKO

Last edited:
Okay, I think someone needs to make some edits to the actual Strategy Pokedex page for Mega Ray, because the sets listed for ORAS are saying it needs to be holding a Jade Orb. But as we all know, that's totally not true, since it only needs Dragon Ascent.

In this case, they've went quite a bit overboard.

That or perhaps the Weather Trio in OR/AS are an attempt to test waters by removing certain "restrictions" with the existing Mega Evo mechanics...

Groudon/Kyogre:
- Not limited to one per team.
- Transform automatically upon being sent out.
- (in-game) When they faint, can be revived and will automatically transform again.

Rayquaza:
- Able to use held items.
- Transforms with the presence of a special move in its current moveset.

Thugly Duckling

I play TCG now
We've had uncounterable pokemon in the past, and actually recently; Ho-Oh was literally uncounterable in XY - it only had checks, such as Arceus-Rock, but even it fell to Sacred Fire burns+Banded Earthquakes. Mega-Rayquaza is in the same predicament as XY Ho-Oh, and I never heard bitching about Ho-Oh so why are we doing so about Mega-Rayquaza? We get it by now, this mon is obviously uncounterable since it scrambles its checks depending on the set it runs, so imo we shouldn't even try to check it besides running the obligatory E-Killer that's on every team. The only way to stop this mon is to set-up your own first.

We've had uncounterable pokemon in the past, and actually recently; Ho-Oh was literally uncounterable in XY - it only had checks, such as Arceus-Rock, but even it fell to Sacred Fire burns+Banded Earthquakes. Mega-Rayquaza is in the same predicament as XY Ho-Oh, and I never heard bitching about Ho-Oh so why are we doing so about Mega-Rayquaza? We get it by now, this mon is obviously uncounterable since it scrambles its checks depending on the set it runs, so imo we shouldn't even try to check it besides running the obligatory E-Killer that's on every team. The only way to stop this mon is to set-up your own first.
Ho-oH loses half his health from stealth rock and has a 4x weakness.

It also lacks a priority move, is pretty slow by Ubers standards, and can't boost its Attack to ridiculous levels like Mega-Ray can. Outside of Sun boosted Sacred Fires, Banded Ho-Oh is also weaker than unboosted Life Orb Mega-Ray.

Thugly Duckling

I play TCG now
Ho-oH loses half his health from stealth rock and has a 4x weakness.
Stealth rock isn't a pokemon, thus still, Ho-Oh is uncounterable. The comparison between the two is relevant.

It also lacks a priority move, is pretty slow by Ubers standards, and can't boost its Attack to ridiculous levels like Mega-Ray can. Outside of Sun boosted Sacred Fires, Banded Ho-Oh is also weaker than unboosted Life Orb Mega-Ray.
My OP was not intended to compare their power, and it doesn't, so you simply read my post incorrectly.

does anyone know if V-Create + Mega Rayquaza is compatible? I heard they are apperantly not since only ORAS Rayquaza can learn Dragon Ascent.

Psynergy

Triumph and Glory
is a Site Content Manageris a Community Leaderis a Community Contributoris a Smogon Discord Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Contributor to Smogonis a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Staff Alumnus
Battle Stadium Head
does anyone know if V-Create + Mega Rayquaza is compatible? I heard they are apperantly not since only ORAS Rayquaza can learn Dragon Ascent.
Any Rayquaza can learn Dragon Ascent due to there being a tutor for it so V-Create is compatible on Mega Rayquaza. But yeah, V-Create speed drops probably aren't fun so you don't necessarily need it.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)