Megan Fox is hot (Peaked #1 on OU Leaderboard)

Hey I’m Near (Megan Fox) and this is my first RMT since joining Smogon in November. I originally started playing competitive Pokemon in May on DS wifi but overtime I started playing DS less and less and shoddy more and more. I made this team around the time I joined and it’s been my standard team since. Having hit #1 on OU Leaderboard with a peak CRE of 1657 (under the alt –MeganFox-), I feel that it’s time to retire the team though I plan on sparingly using it in the future. While this team is considered to be “Semi-stall”, this has been the first stall based team I ever made. Without further ado, I present the team:

Gliscor (M) @ Leftovers
Ability: Sand Veil
EVs: 252 HP/4 Def/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Earthquake
- Taunt
- Stealth Rock
- U-turn

Gliscor starts things off nicely. Right off the bat, you probably notice something. This Gliscor lacks roost. This is for a couple reasons, the biggest reason being that it’s normally not needed to counter Lucario. Two other members of the team sufficiently counter it. Instead of roost, I have both U-turn and taunt on Gliscor. This has proven to be useful for several reasons, being that taunt and U-turn both greatly help Gliscor. Taunt is very useful throughout the battle shutting out various kinds of Pokemon from setting up. U-turn is used for a multitude of reasons. It can break sashes like azelf’s and aerodactyl’s while I switch in an appropriate revenge killer to finish the opposing lead off. It is also very useful for scouting purposes while dealing a good amount of damage to common Gliscor switchins like Latias and Starmie and also hitting Pokemon like Celebi and T-Tar very hard (though uturn is only used on the latter when expecting a switch). I started off running 224 speed but after sometime, i realized i was still speed tieing other gliscors once in awhile so i changed the evs to 228. Then the same thing continued to happan so i said "screw this" and dumped all 252 evs on speed. Stealth rock and Earthquake are pretty much givens as almost every good team has a stealthrocker while eq is there for a stabbed attack with good coverage. While I sometimes wish I had roost, I find it pretty situational. If I absolutely NEED Gliscor healed, I can heal it using Wish support from…..

Jirachi @ Leftovers
Ability: Serene Grace
EVs: 252 HP/216 Def/40 Speed
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Calm Mind
- Wish
- Thunderbolt
- Psychic

The standard CM Wish Jirachi that I bet you guys have all seen. A couple months ago, I saw it on Team Sugarless Girl by Jumpluff + Earthworm and immediately tested it out after reading the RMT. Having used it for quite awhile, I’ve come to love the Pokemon and not only is it my favorite Jirachi set, but it's probably my Favorite Pokemon atm. While this guy is a late game sweeper when all counters are gone ( Heatran -_-), it also provides the team with invaluable wish support in addition to itself. While I’ve been 100% satisfied with the EV’s of Jirachi, I’ve recently wanted to test out the EV’s on Phillip7086’s recent RMT. I haven’t tested it out yet, but it seems like it could work well b/c opposing Gliscors, Mamoswines etc get annoying. Although, with 252 hp/252 def, Jirachi counters DD Gyrados like a beast which is something it probably couldn’t do if the EV’s changed. Psychic + T-bolt provides solid coverage while the rest of my team aims to remove its counters. The 40 speed EV's are there to outspeed Breloom and Defensive Zapdos. The likes of Pokemon such as CM Latias or T-Tar have to be removed in order for Jirachi to sweep and are fairly easily dealt with by….

Tyranitar (M) @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Sand Stream
EVs: 4 HP/252 Atk/252 Spd
Jolly nature (+Spd, -SAtk)
- Stone Edge
- Superpower
- Pursuit
- Crunch

“Oh, it’s another Scarf-tar.” Reactions like that are what I tend to get these days due to the recent abundance in Scarf-tar. While I was making this team back in November, I looked up the usage of Scarf-Tar (based off October statistics of course), and found that it hadn’t received enough usage in order for its usage to be shown separately. The same had applied a month later in November’s statistics report. Then recently, I had looked up the same thing on Decembers statistics and when I scrolled all the way down to T-Tar and came up to its page, I said “Damn”. According to the statistics, Choice scarf had appeared on 12.9% of T-tars, almost as much as Choice band which was at 16.8%. The point of this is, back when I made the team Scarf-tar had a huge “surprise” factor. For example, I could have switched it into an opposing Mixmence and my opponent would think “Wow this kid is a dumbass, ill just OHKO this thing with brickbreak”. Then T-tar would proceed to KO the Mence and my opponent would say something along the lines of “WTF, SCARFED?” I would then respond with the classic answer “No, its hacked”. Obviously, people had caught onto this Pokemon overtime due to the fact that people like me have been using it and in response I’ve had to use this guy with more caution. Pursuit, which used to only be used just to trap Pokemon who trick scarfs or specs (I would predict the trick and switch T-Tar in order to absorb the trick), is also used on Pokemon like Latias and Starmie who now sometimes switch out expecting the scarfed crunch. For the rest of this guys moves, Crunch and Stone edge are pretty much givens, seeing as they have great stabbed coverage. The last spot is really up for grabs. I choose superpower > EQ b/c it hits Blissy and most notably, opposing T-Tars hard while still OHKOing Heatran and Lucario.

Skarmory (M) @ Shed Shell
Ability: Keen Eye
EVs: 252 HP/36 Spd/222 SDef
Careful nature (+SDef, -SAtk)
- Taunt
- Spikes
- Whirlwind
- Roost

Up next is a crucial member of my team, Taunt Skarmory. I first came across this set in BOTW #1 with Earthworm vs. Gouki and shortly after came across the Stark Mountain discussion, Taunt Skarmory and its Current Effects on the Metagame. I definitely prefer a specially defensive ev’d skarm over a physically defensive one because it allows Skarmory to set up spikes on a larger variety of Pokemon. Brave bird is extremely useful as it allows Skarmory to attack with reasonable power. I originally ran 36 speed b/c Reverb, who started the Taunt Skarmory discussion on Stark Mountain, posted the set with Skarmory running 32 speed evs. I assumed that people would follow this so instead I ran for 36 speed evs. Keep in mind that this was back in November. While I did beat most opposing Skarmorys to the taunt back then, I almost always lose now. After much consideration, I have chosen to run WW over BB for several reasons. Prior to the change, the team had no phazing which was quite problematic and running WW allows me to have an easier time with Pokemon like Swampert and Magnezone who are problems to the team. Spikes and roost are obvious givens.

Suicune @ Leftovers
Ability: Pressure
EVs: 236 HP/252 Def/20 Speed
Bold nature (+Def, -Atk)
- Rest
- Surf
- Ice Beam
- Roar

Suicune enters the team being the primary answer to Pokemon like Heatran who boast an insanely powerful Fire Stab attack. Ice beam is chosen over because my team is slightly DDmence weak and Suicune is able to take an Adamant LO outrage even after SR damage. Calm mind is used for some “secondary sweeping”, and I occasionally setup with it even though that isn’t its role on the team. Rest has been replaced for Roar as it adds more phazing to the team while allowing it to beat other Pokemon who try to setup on it.

Rotom-h @ Choice Scarf
Ability: Levitate
EVs: 228 HP/252 Spd/28 SAtk
Timid nature (+Spd, -Atk)
- Thunderbolt
- Shadow Ball
- Trick
- Overheat

Rounding up the team is the obvious spin blocker that every spikes stacking team has. While a scarfed Rotom-H may seem redundant due to the fact that Scarf-Tar makes an appearance on this team, it works quite well. But even so, I still feel that Rotom could be considered the “weak link” on this team due to the fact that I hardly ever spin block. I normally deal with Starmie using T-Tar making the only Pokemon that is really being spin blocked is Fortress. And scarf Rotom doesn’t spin block on fortress very well anyways due to that fact that most of them carry payback. I use Rotom-H over Rotom-W (which would help a lot vs. TTar) so it can counter Lucario but most importantly SD Scizor who is a huge threat to this team. Although, I’ve been recently getting screwed over due to the abundance of T-Tars and try not to bring Rotom in until I can determine whether they have one and if they do, I try to remove it before Rotom enters the field. I also often double switch to Gliscor or my own T-Tar with Rotom to scout out the T-Tars who easily pursuit this guy. Rotom also serves as a reliable check to several Pokemon including DD Gyrados (since Jirachi might not be able to reliably counter it under certain circumstances), Scarf Jirachi, SD Lucario, etc. A Defensive Lucario would overall work better in this spot if not for two reasons: 1. being that should Scarf-Tar fail to trap Pokemon like Latias, Gengar and Starmie, they could heavily damage my team and potentially sweep. And reason #2, Pokemon like Suicune, CM Jirachi, and Curselax cut set up on this team much easier. Rotom's ev spread was changed to a more defensive spread which has proven to be unbelievably useful as a SD Scizor's BP does much less to it.

Threat List (Taken from Team Sugarless Girl)

Scizor:
-SD Variant: Probably the Biggest threat to the team. After a SD, it can wreck havoc to the team if Rotom is weaked/fainted. If it is, normally the plan is to taunt with gliscor then try to get as much damage on it as possible (from Gliscor, Suicune, Skarmory, Jirachi). While Bulky SD Scizors can be stopped slightly easier (Due to lack of Bugbite), both LO and Bulky SD varients pose a large threat to the team
-CB Variant: Handled fairly easy, with spikes up it can only switch in a couple times. If not, anything on the team (Bar TTar can beat this guy 1 vs 1)

Salamence:
-MixMence: Since this guy does have 0 Safe switch ins (Starting to agree with people as to whether it should be a suspect), prediction is the key. My steel types can come in on Meteors, Suicune and TTar and Fireblast and Rotom on BrickBreak/ EQ. Assuming they dont switchout, Suicune and TTar OHKO it with relative ease and if they do switch out, residual damage will eventually take it out.
-DDMence: Bring Suicune in Immediatly, icebeam for the OHKO. if Suicune is weakened, lure the outrage and then switch to Jirachi/Skarmory
-SpecsMence: Pretty much the same as Mixmence except prediction is easier
-CBMence: Pretty much the same as DDmence

Heatran:
-Lead Shuca/SashTran: I Normally eq with Gliscor first turn, then follow up with either a SR or Eq. Not a issue
-ScarfTran: Switch to Suicune to take the Fireblast with relative ease. Then surf it. SR+ Spikes Damage will get to it if it keeps switching out
-SpecsTran: Same as ScarfTran although it hits suicune a bit harder.
-LO Tran: Slightly annoying since a Modest LO Hp Grass takes a chunck out of Suicune. Gliscor, Scarf-tar deal with this guy too

Gyarados:
-Leftovers DD: Jirachi and Rotom-H take this, Jirachi is the first switch seeing as they often waterfall predicting a pokemon like scarf rotom.
-Life Orb DD: Rotom-w is the main check to this but Jirachi can take a Eq if needed
-Restalk: Jirachi because it resists SR and has Leftovers.
-Thunder Wave or Substitute: Never seen one before but Jirachi i guess

Rotom-A:
-Scarf: Scarf-Tar rapes this thing
-Restalk/Defensive: Jirachi sets up on it, Suicune can set up on it but with caution. T-Tar hits it really hard but must be wary of WoW. In order to prevent T-tar from being WoW'd, i often taunt it with Gliscor, then U-Turn to T-Tar. Rotoms Shadow-balls hit it really hard too.
-SubCharge Beam: They try to beat Jirachi to the sweep and before they know it, their swept by Jirachi :)

Latias:
-Specs: Jirachi usually, Even Skarmory. If i can switch in on a trick or Tbolt, T-Tar
-Scarf: Same as specs except easier to deal with with.
-LO Sweeper: Jirachi Can setup on non Hpfire varients. If not switch in on an attack other then grassknot
-CM Latias: Scarf-Tar.
Tyranitar:
Tyranitar:
-CBTar: Jirachi if locked into stonedge, Scarf-Tar has superpower mostly for this guy
-DDTar: Gliscor or Trick it with Rotom-H. Suicune can also take a hit or two from it. Scarf-Tar can kill this guy with superpower and can also take a stone edge if it losses the speed tie
-BOAH Variants: CM Jirachi beats non Fire move ones, otherwise Gliscor usually beats it.
-CurseTar: T-Tar and Gliscor deal with this easily.

Metagross:
-CBGross: Skarmory (on MM, EQ), Jirachi (on MM), Gliscor (on EQ / Tpunch), Rotom-H (on EQ / Tpunch / Explosion).
-MixGross: Rotom-H comes in on HP Fire, Meteor Mash, or Grass Knot. Skarmory can setup on this guy with his spec def evs.

Lucario:
SD: Never has posed a threat, never will. Gliscor, Rotom-H, Scarf-tar. Like to see it get through that
-Specs: Gliscor (must be wary of hp ice though)or Jirachi can set up on it.

Infernape:
MixApe: Suicune and Scarf-Tar beat this guy (though the former must watch out for grassknot at low health). But a NP Vaccum wave Ape poses a large threat but are rare
-Physical Ape: Gliscor can come in on most moves, Rotom-W and Scarf-Tar can come in on moves that aren't Fire and fighting type respectivly.
-ScarfApe: Just predict it and play around it.

Jirachi:
-Scarf Jirachi: Usually Skarmory, Suicune or Rotom-h. Has caused me to lose several battles when these guys are weakened though
-Expert Belt Jirachi: Gliscor, Jirachi, and Rotom-H do pretty well (although gliscor has to watch out for icepunches)
-CM Jirachi: Gliscor do well against this set. Rotom-H can trick if it comes out when Jirachi doesnt have a sub
-Support Jirachi: Setup fodder for Jirachi

Gengar:
-LO Gengar: Switch T-Tar on a nonfocusblast. if Not setup with Jirachi
-ScarfGengar: Like LO Gengar except easier to deal with
-SubGengar: Jirachi, Dont want t-tar to die just to break a sub.

Swampert:
-Standard Mixpert: A bitch to take down. Normally force it to switch and let spikes damage rack up. Also rotom can trick
-CBPert: predict around it.
-Cursepert: Rotom-H tricks it. Jirachi can beat non Eq varients

Blissey:
-WishBliss: Gliscor beats non ice beam varients. Skarm beats Blisssy 1 vs 1. Jirachi beats blissy. Rotom can trick a scarf
-Non-wish Bliss: Same as above

Azelf:
-Lead Azelf: Love seeing this guy. uturn on gliscor to Scarf-Tar, then pursuit. 6-5 me
-NP Azelf: Scarf-Tar crunch/pursuit. Rotom can shadow ball as well
-Scarf same as above

Starmie:
-LO Starmie: Double switch to suicune predicting the hydropump then to t-tar on the T-bolt. Then crunch/pursuit for the kill. Rotom serves as a secondary check
-Rapid Spinner: Same as above
-Choice Starmie: Same as above

Gliscor:
-SD Gliscor: Suicune easily takes this guy
-Stall Gliscor: Rotom can trick the scarf. My gliscor tends to beat others due to max speed. Gliscor can beat it sometimes, since this Gliscor has a little more Speed than most other Stall Gliscor. Suicune OHKO's
-BP Gliscor: BP teams fail...so inconsistent. Anyways, i cant really do anything to stop this guy....:/ Just hope Rotom outspeeds the inevitable Meta switch in. Not worthy of being called a threat so i really know like just one guy thats actually good who uses chain. People who are good tend to not use chain so i havnt cpme across it in the ladder

Vaporeon:
-WishProtect Vaporeon: Setup fodder for Jirachi. Rotom-H also has Tbolt
-SpecsVaporeon: Didn't know these guys existed.....

Magnezone:
-Substitute: They either come in on Jirachi or Skarmory. If It doesnt have Hp ice, get rid of the orange font, Gliscor takes this thing with ease. If if does, Normally something has to be sacrificed. Jirachi can outstall Magnezone bar a crit (which does tend to happan :/). Rotom can take hits decently as well.
-Scarf: Switch to gliscor expecting a tbolt. Other attacks such as flashcannon, explosion, etc are also countered with relative ease
-Life Orb Variant: Gliscor on a non hp ice attack or ttar on a non flash cannon

Zapdos:
-Defensive: T-Tar OHKO's with stone edge
-Offensive: Same as above
-Choiced: Prediction is key, i have something to sponge all attacks its capable of using (gliscor T-bolt, T-Tar heat wave etc).

Machamp:
-ResTalk:Psychic from Jirachi does a great deal of damage to this guy. BB from Skarmory does as well if needed. Otherwise Gliscor can attack while taking minimal damage in return.
-Substitute: Break the sub with Gliscor, then use Psychic from Jirachi for the KO. Once again, Skamory can also use BB if necessary.

Kingdra:
-DD Kingdra: Jirachi beats Kingdra 1 vs 1, as does suicune. Rotom can trick a scarf.
-Rain Dance Mix: Luckily, I have a T-Tar on this team to consistently remove the rain. other then that, the same guys from above really.
Breloom:

Breloom:
-SubPuncher: This guy is annoying but isnt really too much of a threat. If I already have layers of spikes up, I turn to skarmory to absorb the sleep. If not, Gliscor. Jirachi, Rotom, and Gliscor can take this guy with relative ease.
-ScarfLoom: If something is already asleep, anyone on the team bar T-tar can beat it

Skarmory:
-Spiker: Since I usually switch into Jirachi and threaten it with a t-bolt. Not a huge problem although preventing spikes would be help b/c of their annoyance

Bronzong:
-Standard Leftovers / Light Clay: Taunt it with Gliscor or Skarmory
-CMZong: Never seen one before....Taunt then setup with Jirachi i guess....
-Trick: Rotom-W, T-Tar, Gliscor absorb the trick effeicently.
Celebi:
-Defensive: Gliscor has Taunt + Uturn. Jirachi can set up on it. T-tar and rotom both hit hard.
-CM / CM Pass: Taunt with Gliscor or Trick with Rotom-h. T-tar and rotom both hit hard.
-SD Pass: Same as CM Pass.
-Choice: Jirachi is the safest bet to take the Leaf Storm

Flygon:
-Scarf: Gliscor and Rotom-W take the uturn/eq, Jirachi, Skamory the outrage and suicune can beat it overall
-Band: Same as above although more caution is taken as it hits harder. Scarf-Tar and rotom are faster then it now though
-Roost LO/Stall: Suicune's icebeam

Suicune:
-Offensive CMer: Trick scarf with Rotom or start setting up with Jirachi since i win bar a crit.
-ResTalk: Same as above
-Roar: Trick scarf

Jolteon:
-Specs: Gliscor or T-Tar breaks it easily
-Substitute: use psychic and hope its able to break the BP recipients sub. if not, still not too hard to play around
-Charge Beam: Gliscor first, if not setup with Jirachi

Empoleon:
-Lead: Superpower from T-Tar, tbolt from jirachi, or Tbolt from
Rotom
-AgilityPetaya: Setup fodder for Jirachi, Rotom-H can check on Modest ones as well
-AgilityLife Orb: Ive never battled one before, but it looks like it could be a problem...
-Specs: Suicune on the water stab, Jirachi on the icebeam, Grassknot
-SD: Rotom-H and Jirachi can beat this guy
Forretress: Is able to setup relatively easily while spinning my hazards away (though i do spin block with rotom).
Electivire: Rotom-H can Trick or damage it with Shadow Ball. It won't OHKO Jirachi with so Jirachi can Psychic as well

Togekiss: Rotom's tbolt, T-Tars stone edge. Setup fodder for both Jirachi and Skarmory normally

Weavile: Suicune, Jirachi, and Rotom-H can beat this. Skarmory also does a decent check.

Aerodactyl:
Lead:U-turn on gliscor to suicune. surf from suicune seems to barely miss the OHKO (after uturn) which is depressing

Mamoswine: Switch out to skarmory and start laying spikes. Suicune, Scarf-tar and rotom all beat mamo.

Snorlax: Tricking the scarf is my best bet. If not, Jirachi or suicune after a couple CM's

Dusknoir: Taunt it then switch/uturn to T-Tar

Smeargle: Since its almost always a lead, taunt it with Gliscor. although, ive been encoutering a couple trick scarf smeargles recently....
Ninjask: Taunt it, its shut out

Tentacruel: Setup fodder for Jirachi, tbolt from rotom and stone edge from T-Tar does a decent amount as well

Dragonite: Pretty much the same stuff as salamence

Hippowdon: Taunt with skarmory or gliscor, Suicune threatens it fairly well.

Roserade: Roserade leads have got me under quite a dilemma. While i used to taunt it on the sleep powder then uturn to skarmory to take the leaf storm, ive been seeing ALOT of hp ice roserades lately which OHKO gliscor immediately. If I assume their hp ice, i can U-turn to T-tar then crunch it for the KO. but if it turns out to not be a hp ice roserade, im in a bad position (unless a sleeppowder miss which is always awesome).
Porygon-Z: Jirachi resists Tri Attack and can set up Calm Minds against most of these. Rotom-H is immune so it can come in on Tri Attack for free. Scarf-Tar also can superpower for the KO

Cresselia: Taunt then switch to jirachi and start setting up. Rotom can shadowball/trick as well.
Heracross: Gliscor is a suffecient counter if not Rotom or suicune

Umbreon: Taunt it, then switch to either Suicune or Jirachi and set up.
Alakazam: Jirachi can setup on it, or a scarf shadowball from rotom.

franky

aka pimpdaddyfranky, aka frankydelaghetto, aka F, aka ef
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Contributor Alumnus
Hey near,

Good build, good team, so the changes will be small. First suggestion I would make is the addition of Hidden Power Electric over Calm Mind or Rest on Suicune. Why? Its because it allows you to effectively deal with Gyarados without resorting to Rotom and to a lesser extent Jirachi that much. From games I watched and play, Scarf Rotom doesn't seem to cut it as a reliable Gyarados check due to the prevalence of trappers. And Jirachi doesn't really enjoy +1 Earthquake (88.6% - 104.5%). While at certain times, Jirachi fails to OHKO with Thunderbolt (82.2% - 97.9%).

Have you ever considered returning back to Whirlwind over Brave Bird? I always found that the most desirable move with Taunt is Whirlwind. With Taunt on some defensive wall, you can use Whirlwind to inflict damage on two Pokemon if the opponent switches out. Whirlwind on Skarmory is incredibely annoying and I think you can use it to your advantage to hopefully fish yourself Gyarados coming in or Salamence trying to come in. With Brave Bird, I feel like your just set up bait for the aforementioned threats. Try Whirlwind out, I feel like a phazer is needed on this team to take advantage of hazards.

Lastly, if you feel the need to "spin block better" or check threats better, tweaking Rotom's EVs to a slightly more defensive on would work. This is my favorite spread because its simple. 232 HP / 28 SpA / 252 Spe at a Timid nature. What are you losing to this from the previous spread? nothing at all since Rotom's job is to keep offensive threats at bay. With this spread, you can come in on Gyarados more recklessly while having a chance to actually combat with SD Scizor better. Yeah +2 Bullet Punch rips apart Rotom basically with your old spread (71.9% - 84.7%). With the new one, you can come in and take less damage. (57.2% - 67.4%). The surplus of the EVs is sent to Special Attack in order to 2HKO offensive Latias at all times, meaning it won't out-recover you. overall gl.

Hello Near, this team is obv. very good as evident by its success on the ladder. However, I have issues with Choice Scarf Rotom as a Spin Blocker. With your current set, you are more or less guaranteeing that if the opponent has a Tyranitar and a Spinner, they will Spin you. Tyranitar really gets free-reign over this Rotom, doesn't mind a Scarf, and to a team so dependent on entry hazards, this is a bad situation. However, I do agree with you that a Trick user is an excellent utility for a team to help against CurseLax, Crocune, etc., so I don't want to remove the Scarf. Instead, I want to see Bulkyish Scarf WoW Rotom (mouthful).

Rotom-h @ Choice Scarf
144 HP / 144 SpA / 220 Spe
Timid nature (+Spe, -Atk)
-Thunderbolt
-Overheat / Shadow Ball
-Will-o-Wisp / Reflect
-Trick

This retains all the uses of the previous Rotom and scares Pursuiters away. I find Shadow Ball unnecessary, it overlaps alot with ScarfTar's Crunch in terms of targets. It is sometimes nice to hit a Swampert for some damage but Swampert it set up bait for Skarmory, and is conveniently succeptible to Skarmory's Spikes, and it can be Trick'd as well. 220 Spe outspeeds all +1 Gyarados as well as +2 Empoleon.

Finally, I recommend Whirlwind over Brave Bird on Skarmory since you lack a pHazer. I've used Taunt Skarmory many times and I have generally found Whirlwind to be the better option, although that is an opinion, and hitting Infernape/etc. on the switch is nice.

Good team. I like it because its not only a good team, but it documents a lot of the metagame trends: Scarf Tar, Taunt Skarmory, Wish CM Jirachi, Semi-Stall in general.

Edit: @j. franky I was going to recommend HP Electric but I think that would leave him DDMence weak?

Hey near,

Good build, good team, so the changes will be small. First suggestion I would make is the addition of Hidden Power Electric over Calm Mind or Rest on Suicune. Why? Its because it allows you to effectively deal with Gyarados without resorting to Rotom and to a lesser extent Jirachi that much. From games I watched and play, Scarf Rotom doesn't seem to cut it as a reliable Gyarados check due to the prevalence of trappers. And Jirachi doesn't really enjoy +1 Earthquake (88.6% - 104.5%). While at certain times, Jirachi fails to OHKO with Thunderbolt (82.2% - 97.9%).

Have you ever considered returning back to Whirlwind over Brave Bird? I always found that the most desirable move with Taunt is Whirlwind. With Taunt on some defensive wall, you can use Whirlwind to inflict damage on two Pokemon if the opponent switches out. Whirlwind on Skarmory is incredibely annoying and I think you can use it to your advantage to hopefully fish yourself Gyarados coming in or Salamence trying to come in. With Brave Bird, I feel like your just set up bait for the aforementioned threats. Try Whirlwind out, I feel like a phazer is needed on this team to take advantage of hazards.

Lastly, if you feel the need to "spin block better" or check threats better, tweaking Rotom's EVs to a slightly more defensive on would work. This is my favorite spread because its simple. 232 HP / 28 SpA / 252 Spe at a Timid nature. What are you losing to this from the previous spread? nothing at all since Rotom's job is to keep offensive threats at bay. With this spread, you can come in on Gyarados more recklessly while having a chance to actually combat with SD Scizor better. Yeah +2 Bullet Punch rips apart Rotom basically with your old spread (71.9% - 84.7%). With the new one, you can come in and take less damage. (57.2% - 67.4%). The surplus of the EVs is sent to Special Attack in order to 2HKO offensive Latias at all times, meaning it won't out-recover you. overall gl.
Hey Franky, awesome rate. I plan on testing everything you suggested and already see some of your changes as stuff that will most likely improve. Hp electric on suicune seems like a great addition. An even though i had previously turned down WW > BB, i too am feeling a phazar is needed on this team. Lastly, Your last change will probably be the most useful, i never once considered hp evs on rotom and will definitly help vs SD Scizor.

Once again ty for the rate Franky

Hello Near, this team is obv. very good as evident by its success on the ladder. However, I have issues with Choice Scarf Rotom as a Spin Blocker. With your current set, you are more or less guaranteeing that if the opponent has a Tyranitar and a Spinner, they will Spin you. Tyranitar really gets free-reign over this Rotom, doesn't mind a Scarf, and to a team so dependent on entry hazards, this is a bad situation. However, I do agree with you that a Trick user is an excellent utility for a team to help against CurseLax, Crocune, etc., so I don't want to remove the Scarf. Instead, I want to see Bulkyish Scarf WoW Rotom (mouthful).

Rotom-h @ Choice Scarf
144 HP / 144 SpA / 220 Spe
Timid nature (+Spe, -Atk)
-Thunderbolt
-Overheat / Shadow Ball
-Will-o-Wisp / Reflect
-Trick

This retains all the uses of the previous Rotom and scares Pursuiters away. I find Shadow Ball unnecessary, it overlaps alot with ScarfTar's Crunch in terms of targets. It is sometimes nice to hit a Swampert for some damage but Swampert it set up bait for Skarmory, and is conveniently succeptible to Skarmory's Spikes, and it can be Trick'd as well. 220 Spe outspeeds all +1 Gyarados as well as +2 Empoleon.

Finally, I recommend Whirlwind over Brave Bird on Skarmory since you lack a pHazer. I've used Taunt Skarmory many times and I have generally found Whirlwind to be the better option, although that is an opinion, and hitting Infernape/etc. on the switch is nice.

Good team. I like it because its not only a good team, but it documents a lot of the metagame trends: Scarf Tar, Taunt Skarmory, Wish CM Jirachi, Semi-Stall in general.

Edit: @j. franky I was going to recommend HP Electric but I think that would leave him DDMence weak?
Hey Crunchatize me, ty for the rate. I definitly agree with you that shadowball on rotom does have redundant coverage (helps vs latias and gengar that T-tar fails to KO but thats about it). I never considered WoW on a scarfed Rotom, ill test it out.
Ty

I would go with 20 Speed on your Suicune to get a jump on Rotom appliances. ScarfTar is not very strong at all, and a misprediction with him could cause him to be burned, effectively neutering him =/.

I would go with 20 Speed on your Suicune to get a jump on Rotom appliances. ScarfTar is not very strong at all, and a misprediction with him could cause him to be burned, effectively neutering him =/.
Hey YTP, nice idea since i dont need to test that ill change it now. I guess i didnt say it clearly but i when facing a rotom, i normally taunt it with gliscor then uturn to ttar to prevent it from being burned ill add that now. ty

Firstly i'd like to congratulate you, my good friend. Well obviously this is one of the greatest team's i've ever seen used. It is a bit sad due to the metagame shifting so much that the surprise factor really brings down the value to this team.
Now for the team, I do suggest adding HP ev's to take on SD scizor a bit more. I do like the idea of a scarf on it still even with w-o-w. As it is a liable check in for Lucario and can ruin Salamance switch in's predicting the overheat. I've notice while using this team a DD gyrados doesn't hurt it to much. Usually scarfed tyranitar outspeeds bulkier versions if not suicune and jirachi take it on nicely. Gyrados doesn't get much of a chance to dragon dance though. The argument with Brave Bird over whirlwind is so debatable. It really varies but I am also thinking Whirlwind because most things that brave bird hurt are already hurt by the whirlwind. Besides it can help you win stall wars if you haven't shown it.
Best of luck with a new team and reaching the top of the ladder once again. Although i'll beat you too it ;)

The SPrinkLer

Banned deucer.
I know why you explained you didn't like roost on Gliscor, but I'm going to suggest it, and not just for the purpose of surviving Lucario's assaults longer. You'll want Roost as a last insurance versus Lucario, Metagross, Rotom's Shadow Balls, and Tyranitar. To survive their repeated assaults you'll need a reliable way to heal. I'm sure you don't have problems with them, but probably consider it as a last resort way to beat them. Anyway I hope I helped, and good luck!

I know why you explained you didn't like roost on Gliscor, but I'm going to suggest it, and not just for the purpose of surviving Lucario's assaults longer. You'll want Roost as a last insurance versus Lucario, Metagross, Rotom's Shadow Balls, and Tyranitar. To survive their repeated assaults you'll need a reliable way to heal. I'm sure you don't have problems with them, but probably consider it as a last resort way to beat them. Anyway I hope I helped, and good luck!
This. U-Turn isn't really THAT needed, although useful, and since this is semi-stall we're talking about, being able to stick around and stop threats is more important than spotting double switches or having an early advantage. You don't have too much trouble against Azelf either since TTar just takes care of it.

Hey darkenedfearz, im taking everything you said into consideration, wowing a predicted Salamence switch in was something i never though about. More of a reason to replace shadow ball with wow if i decide on it. ty

and Hey Sprinkles and Blue Tornado. ill test Roost > U-turn. Tbh, i never actually did, just assumed U-Turn would be better. Ty for input

since i've used pretty much the same team (minor differences like eq ttar and restalk rotom) and actually posted it here too i guess ill post the only worthwhile rate i got (from Flashstorm1, hope he doesn't mind).
Flashstorm1 here, ready to rate.

To begin with, I just wanted to let you know that you have a great team here with no major weaknesses as far as I can tell, so congrats on that. However, I do notice that some special attackers, particularly Life Orb Heatran, will be able to give your team a lot of trouble before being taken out. As it stands, everything on your team is hit super effective by any of Heatran's attacks, and those that aren't are likely to be 2HKOed at best by Fire Blast.

To be honest, I don't see Tyranitar doing much for your team right now. As far as I can tell, Tyranitar will mainly be being worn down by attacks while also checking the threats that don't particularly trouble your team too much.

Instead, I think that you should give Blissey a try, particularly the following set:

Blissey @ Leftovers
Natural Care | 148 HP / 252 Def / 108 SpD
Calm Nature (+SpD, -Atk)
Aromatherapy / Seismic Toss / Ice Beam / Softboiled

Mainly, I think that Blissey could offer more support for your team by being able to deal with special threats to the same extent that Tyranitar would, but with reliable recovery and less weaknesses. I recommend Aromatherapy here as it seems that your team would have trouble with status, but you are free to run Toxic instead if you want prefer long term residual damage instead. Ice Beam ensures that Salamence doesn't set up on you while also hitting Ghosts (particularly Gengar) for some damage. The EV spread is quite simple: the additional HP EVs allow you to take physical attacks better while the Special Attack helps in KOing Salamence after Stealth Rock.

If you do decide to replace Tyranitar, you may also want to consider running Choice Scarf Rotom over your current set. As it stands, you are relatively weak to Nasty Plot MixApe, something which neither Tyranitar nor Blissey really do well against. By running CS Rotom, you have a reasonable check to Infernape while also giving your team an efficient late game sweeper should Jirachi be unable to clean up. The best part is, this set still counters Gyarados as well.

Good luck in the future!
again, that was Flashstorm1, not me. also not saying this is better for your team, just something to consider.

Taylor

i am alien
is a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
Chances are you will have Stealth Rock on the field from the get-go, so enemy Gyarados cannot switch-in freely, and that means you don't have to resort to Hidden Power Electric on Suicune. If Gyarados has Taunt, its attacking options are likely to be Waterfall + Stone Edge, therefore Jirachi can prevent the Gyarados sweep. You can abuse the Spikes/Stealth Rock support with Suicune's Roar, and phaze DDGyara +1: for general use, it's certainly the better option, and overall I feel you will prefer it over HP Electric.

Remember that you can switch in Suicune on Gyarados' first attacking turn, scout, then switch in Rotom-A to gain a better understanding of the set. (I recommend that you only execute this strategy when enemy Gyarados is not suffering from SR damage, assuming you did not have the opportunity to it up)

I like this team and I've encountered it now and again on the ladder. Good job!

First congratulations on your team. I'll start with Rotom-H. You should keep that ev spread, but you should try HP Ice over Overheat, it's a great surprise factor, that gives you great coverage against dragons, if someone put Mence on your face and you predict it, gg ;D.
I've tryed CM Wish Jirachi, it doesn't work with me, i sugest you the classic Sub CM Jirachi, 252 SAtk, 252 Spd, or a bulky version 252 hp, 252 spd Timid.
In Skarm, Whirlwind would be better than Brave Bird, if you predict taunt switch to Ttar or Rotom. You could try HP Electric, like someone already said, to don't force you to switch in rotom.

Good luck, and sorry about my english ;D

since i've used pretty much the same team (minor differences like eq ttar and restalk rotom) and actually posted it here too i guess ill post the only worthwhile rate i got (from Flashstorm1, hope he doesn't mind).

again, that was Flashstorm1, not me. also not saying this is better for your team, just something to consider.
Hey apologies, ty for the err Flashstorms idea lol. I personally dont feel Blissy has a place on this team but ill consider it.

Chances are you will have Stealth Rock on the field from the get-go, so enemy Gyarados cannot switch-in freely, and that means you don't have to resort to Hidden Power Electric on Suicune. If Gyarados has Taunt, it's attacking options are likely to be Waterfall + Stone Edge, therefore Jirachi can prevent the Gyarados sweep. You can abuse the Spikes/Stealth Rock support with Suicune's Roar, and phaze DDGyara +1: for general use, it's certainly the better option, and overall I feel you will prefer it over HP Electric.

Remember that you can switch in Suicune on Gyarados' first attacking turn, scout, then switch in Rotom-A to gain a better understanding of the set. (I recommend that you only execute this strategy when enemy Gyarados is not suffering from SR damage, assuming you did not have the opportunity to it up)

I like this team and I've encountered it now and again on the ladder. Good job!
Hey Taylor, Im starting to like roar on suicune as well even though i havn't finished testing around with suicune yet. Ive never had any real troubles with Gyrados so am not yet sure if Hp electric would be needed. I definitly agree with you on Roar b/c Suicune is very capable to take advantage of phazing. I also like the strategy you offered and will be sure to check it out. TY

First congratulations on your team. I'll start with Rotom-H. You should keep that ev spread, but you should try HP Ice over Overheat, it's a great surprise factor, that gives you great coverage against dragons, if someone put Mence on your face and you predict it, gg ;D.
I've tryed CM Wish Jirachi, it doesn't work with me, i sugest you the classic Sub CM Jirachi, 252 SAtk, 252 Spd, or a bulky version 252 hp, 252 spd Timid.
In Skarm, Whirlwind would be better than Brave Bird, if you predict taunt switch to Ttar or Rotom. You could try HP Electric, like someone already said, to don't force you to switch in rotom.

Good luck, and sorry about my english ;D
TY. Hp ice on Rotom wouldnt be useful b/c it cant even outspeed a +attack DDmence after it sets up. Scarf-Tar can deal with non-DD varients with ease. CM Subrachi wouldnt work over CM Wish because Jirachi's goal is not just to sweep, but to support the team as well. I have already replaced BB for WW after testing it out.

Just one small suggestion, I think it would be worth it to try Flash Cannon over Psychic on Jirachi. You have good checks for fighting-types already in the form of suicune and gliscor, and Flash Cannon comes in handy for the likes of Weavile and Tyranitar who both seem to trouble your team a bit. Have you ever played a LO Weavile? It can ohko half your team right off the bat and the other half is beaten 1v1 assuming night slash eventually gets a crit or two.

Awesome team, gj

Hey Near! (it´s so weird to call you this way :S) I´ll review your team, like you did with mine.
In the same position as Neon Heart, this team gave his good run, it´s still usable, but will never be the same as it did when the surprise factor was present. I remember the amounts of battles we did when i was in the leaderboard; and it is good to see your success, especially since you started to play a short time ago.
If you decide to use Roar on Suicune, I suggest a spread of
236 HP / 252 Def / 20 Spe,
because it allows you to outspeed most Suicune (you can calm mind against crocune and defensive cm latias and then phaze it away) The Hp Evs gives you your highest leftovers number, being 25. I think that CM Latias with Hp Fire is a huge problem with this team w/o Tyranitar (you knw what i am talking about) so keep that in mind.
On the Brave Bird / Whirlwind debate, i´ll give you an example:

-Megan Fox-´s Tyranitar used Pursuit, Latias fainted
Opponent sent out Mamoswine, Mamoswine lost 25% of its health from spikes / sr

-Megan Fox- sent out Skarmory, Mamo used EQ
Opponent sent out Infernape, Skarmory used Whirlwind
Other threat lost another 25% of its health was dragged out

It may not be the best example, but at least you get my point, Whirlwind is a very powerful move if used correctly, in that little log 75% damage within two turns.

This is all I can say about this awesome team; yet again, congratulations!

Edit**
I noticed your are Megan_Fox again ^^ (tbh i hated the name near.)

Reverb

World's nicest narcissist
is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I see a Semi-Stall team, but no phazing. I'd really recommend you change Bravebird on Skarmory to Whirlwind so you can have a way or racking up damage for all your entry hazards. Otherise, the team will not performing up to its potential.

cim

happiness is such hard work
is a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
I see a Semi-Stall team, but no phazing. I'd really recommend you change Bravebird on Skarmory to Whirlwind so you can have a way or racking up damage for all your entry hazards. Otherise, the team will not performing up to its potential.
I completely disagree. You definitely don't need phazing to take advantage of entry hazards. The usual jump between counters game works just fine. There are plenty of Pokemon on his team that can force a Skarmory switch in to... switch. Besides, Taunt BB Skarm will beat Scizor (basically).

I LOVE TAUNT GLISCOR IT IS SO GREAT. I run Roar on it, but I don't use it as a lead. It basically hands SD Skizzor's ass to itself, so I wouldn't fret too much about it.

Just one small suggestion, I think it would be worth it to try Flash Cannon over Psychic on Jirachi. You have good checks for fighting-types already in the form of suicune and gliscor, and Flash Cannon comes in handy for the likes of Weavile and Tyranitar who both seem to trouble your team a bit. Have you ever played a LO Weavile? It can ohko half your team right off the bat and the other half is beaten 1v1 assuming night slash eventually gets a crit or two.

Awesome team, gj
There have been times when i wished I had Flash Cannon > Psychic. But i feel vice versa would happen even more often should i change it. Nonetheless, ill test it out seeing as i never have.

Hey Near! (it´s so weird to call you this way :S) I´ll review your team, like you did with mine.
In the same position as Neon Heart, this team gave his good run, it´s still usable, but will never be the same as it did when the surprise factor was present. I remember the amounts of battles we did when i was in the leaderboard; and it is good to see your success, especially since you started to play a short time ago.
If you decide to use Roar on Suicune, I suggest a spread of
236 HP / 252 Def / 20 Spe,
because it allows you to outspeed most Suicune (you can calm mind against crocune and defensive cm latias and then phaze it away) The Hp Evs gives you your highest leftovers number, being 25. I think that CM Latias with Hp Fire is a huge problem with this team w/o Tyranitar (you knw what i am talking about) so keep that in mind.
On the Brave Bird / Whirlwind debate, i´ll give you an example:

-Megan Fox-´s Tyranitar used Pursuit, Latias fainted
Opponent sent out Mamoswine, Mamoswine lost 25% of its health from spikes / sr

-Megan Fox- sent out Skarmory, Mamo used EQ
Opponent sent out Infernape, Skarmory used Whirlwind
Other threat lost another 25% of its health was dragged out

It may not be the best example, but at least you get my point, Whirlwind is a very powerful move if used correctly, in that little log 75% damage within two turns.

This is all I can say about this awesome team; yet again, congratulations!

Edit**
I noticed your are Megan_Fox again ^^ (tbh i hated the name near.)
Hey Legendary, yea i changed my name back lol. ty for the suicune set, I removed Def evs but i guess the HP evs would be better. I agree that CM HP Fire latias would be a problem if i didnt have T-Tar but i always seem to have it when they setup lol. I guess if i didnt, Id trick the scarf then go to Jirachi. TY for the WW example, i decided to change it so it helped.

Hey Reverb, After testing, I agree with you. The phazing really helps and also mitigates my swampert problems because they keep getting racked up with forced spikes damage. I can also predict Magnezone switchins without being forced to double switch to Gliscor.

^ I second that

And I agree with running 180 Spe + on Jirachi [Phils spread] as Gliscor and others.

Although you lose the ability to stop last poke sweeps, I really think ResTalk Rotom is the best idea

Youve really outdone yourself seeing as you have only been playing for 8 or so months ^_^
Hey Calum, im still testing 180 speed rachi. It has plus's and minus's so im unsure.
Testing Rest-talk Rotom wouldnt hurt i guess although i doubt itll help.
TY

I completely disagree. You definitely don't need phazing to take advantage of entry hazards. The usual jump between counters game works just fine. There are plenty of Pokemon on his team that can force a Skarmory switch in to... switch. Besides, Taunt BB Skarm will beat Scizor (basically).

I LOVE TAUNT GLISCOR IT IS SO GREAT. I run Roar on it, but I don't use it as a lead. It basically hands SD Skizzor's ass to itself, so I wouldn't fret too much about it.
Hey Chris, I Wholeheartedly agree with you considering ive been using Taunt + BB until now. Forcing switches was pretty efficient and has worked for me. Although, ive decided that WW was better for this team even though i do like Taunt + BB.

Taunt Gliscor is pretty great. It unfortunately cant beat SD Scizor on its own (otherwise it wouldnt be much of a threat). After a SD a boosted BulletPunch from Scizor 2HKO's Gliscor so unless i get some sandveil hax, i normally lose .Ty for input.

M Dragon

The north wind
is a Community Contributoris a Top Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Top Dedicated Tournament Host Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis the Smogon Tour Season 17 Championis a defending World Cup of Pokemon Championis a Past SPL Champion
World Defender
U really need rest suicune, because suicune is what stops many huge threats for your team, like Taunt Toxic Gliscor (besides cune, nothing can really beat it, except if your gliscor is faster or if u trick it a scarf, and pursuit tar very common with that gliscor), or Heatran (scarftar and suicune are the only things that can take a FB, and they dont have recovery
If you want to keep Roar, i suggest you replacing Calm Mind

U really need rest suicune, because suicune is what stops many huge threats for your team, like Taunt Toxic Gliscor (besides cune, nothing can really beat it, except if your gliscor is faster or if u trick it a scarf, and pursuit tar very common with that gliscor), or Heatran (scarftar and suicune are the only things that can take a FB, and they dont have recovery
If you want to keep Roar, i suggest you replacing Calm Mind
Hey M Dragon, i already see your point. I had troubles with a Toxic Taunt Gliscor yesterday, ill test around some more before i change it.

And without Rest, you can´t beat the standard Wish Bliss.
Good point, Ill probably end up using Roar > CM then

august

you’re a voice that never sings
is a Community Leaderis a Tiering Contributoris a Top Tutor Alumnusis a Tournament Director Alumnusis a Top Team Rater Alumnusis a Smogon Discord Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis the 8th Smogon Classic Winnerwon the 5th Official Smogon Tournamentis a Five-Time Past WCoP Champion
OGC Leader
Well as mentioned before, you have a shit ton of trouble with HP Fire CM Latias (especially with Spikes down, which is how i beat this team iirc) and you really don't have that much coverage against DD Tyranitar at all. I really suggest Roost on Gliscor somewhere, otherwise your going to find DDTar doing a number on your team, as well as SD Life Orb Scizor, which you seemingly have nothing against. If you are going to Speed on Jirachi, run 40 to outpace Defensive Zapdos so you can CM infront of Heat Wave and eventually Wish/boost up and beat it.

Sub Zapdos is pretty annoying too if it runs Max Spe, there isn't really much you can do against it at all except Calm Mind with Jirachi. Sub Heat Wave Zapdos isn't all that common but it gives you a lot of trouble. The problem with this is that Spike oriented teams are starting to become a lot more popular, and without a spinner your going to have trouble. Starmie IS feasible over Suicune, but that'd make DDMence alot harder to handle and you'd be losing a phazer, which isn't exactly optimal. If you do try out Starmie, i'd use 252 HP / 84 Spe / 172 Defense with a Bold nature, and Thunderbolt / Rapid Spin / Recover / Surf.

Also, isn't this vashta's team with a CM Wish Jirachi? -_____ -

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)