Megas for All Art Project

Approved by Zracknel

Megas for All Art Project

This is the art thread for the Megas for All pet mod started by acestriker19 in the Other Metagames subforum.

Welcome to the Megas for All Art Thread! This is where you can submit sprites and designs for the Megas designed in the Megas for All pet mod. While the mod itself is not yet programmed, we are in the process of working on our own side server; in the meantime, you can help by a) visiting the Megas for All thread to submit and vote for concepts on the current slate of Pokemon, or b) submitting sprites or designs for finalized Megas right in this very thread! This project is designed to be supplementary to the actual Megas designed in the other thread. If the mod ever becomes playable, we'll be using the art submitted here as the sprite for the Megas; those without any user-submitted work won't change sprites upon Mega Evolution, but will still be playable. A few guidelines:

- We will only be using sprites on the simulator; however, we do encourage the posting of design concepts for Megas on the thread for review to see what the community wants a certain Mega to look like. Concepts do not have to be sprites (though they can be), and can be hand- or computer-drawn as well.

- Once a design concept is finalized, anyone can create a sprite of the Mega. There is no deadline for this, and we will use whatever sprite the community likes the most (determined via vote) as the "official one"; this is the one that will be used on the server should we ever be able to find a way to use custom sprites.

-This is a community effort. While we encourage you to submit creative designs and original sprites, the ultimate goal of the project is to have the best sprites possible. Thus, don't be surprised if someone takes a concept or sprite you have submitted and elaborates or improves on it. On the other hand, if you do choose to improve upon a existing design or sprite, please be courteous enough to give credit to the original owner; they put a lot of effort into their work, and the least one could do is acknowledge it.

-Each of the Megas open for art submissions already has a type, ability, moveset, and stat spread finalized for it. Please take this into account when designing a Mega. Some may gain or lose a typing, or become bulkier or frailer, for example, and it would be best to factor this into a design. These changes are non-negotiable, because they have either been reviewed by a balancing council or voted in by the community in the main thread. Please keep these changes in mind when submitting a design, and try to submit work that could plausibly fit the new characteristics of the Mega.

Now, without further ado, here are the four Megas currently open for submissions:

Mega-Florges
Fairy / Grass
Base Stat Total: 78/85/88/132/174/95
Ability: Natural Cure
New Moves: Giga Drain, Earth Power, Synthesis

Mega-Exploud
Normal
Base Stat Total: 104/106/88/146/88/58
Ability: Scrappy
New Moves: Agility

Mega-Dunsparce
Normal / Dragon
Base Stat Total: 100/120/100/65/95/35
Ability: Hustle
New Moves: Hone Claws, Knock Off, Dragon Rush

Mega-Aurorus
Ice / Rock
Base Stat Total: 123/87/92/129/122/68
Ability: Ice Age (All non super-effective moves hit Aurorus as Ice-type moves)
New Moves: Moonlight, Power Gem

Here are the Megas currently open for voting:

Mega-Primeape
Fighting / Ground
Base Stat Total: 65/145/60/60/100/125

Mega-Xatu
Psychic / Flying
Base Stat Total: 65/85/115/125/115/65
Ability: Field Warp (Moves that affect the entire field last 8 turns when used by this Pokemon)
New Moves: Heal Bell

Mega-Durant
Bug / Steel
Base Stat Total: 58/164/132/48/53/129
Ability: Flash Fire
New Moves: Flare Blitz, Will-o-Wisp

Mega-Mismagius
Ghost / Fairy
Base Stat Total: 60/95/95/115/115/115
Ability: Levitate
New Moves: Moonblast

Here is the voting form (PM to clapyourhands ):
Primeape
Xatu
Durant
Mismagius

Current Submissions (Voting is open)

Mega-Primeape
Fighting / Ground
Base Stat Total: 65/145/60/60/100/125
zerobreaker000

Mega-Xatu
Psychic / Flying
Base Stat Total: 65/85/115/125/115/65
Ability: Field Warp (Moves that affect the entire field last 8 turns when used by this Pokemon)
New Moves: Heal Bell
clapyourhands

zerobreaker000

Mega-Durant
Bug / Steel
Base Stat Total: 58/164/132/48/53/129
Ability: Flash Fire
New Moves: Flare Blitz, Will-o-Wisp
zerobreaker000

clapyourhands

Mega-Mismagius
Ghost / Fairy
Base Stat Total: 60/95/95/115/115/115
Ability: Levitate
New Moves: Moonblast
clapyourhands

wobblebuns

Pureon

Past Winners
(NOTE: Spriting is now open for these Megas!)

Ninjask

zerobreaker000

Octillery

MiniArchitect

Hippowdon

clapyourhands

Archeops

zerobreaker000

Vileplume

Andrew

Pangoro

zerobreaker000

Rapidash

clapyourhands

Cradily

zerobreaker000

VOTING DEADLINE (Primeape, Xatu, Durant, Mismagius): July 3rd 8:00 PM PST
SUBMISSION DEADLINE (Florges, Exploud, Dunsparce, Aurorus): July 8th 8:00 PM PST

Last edited:

Regime

the party is December 18th
is an Artist Alumnus
Sorry for the crappy image quality. Here is a rough sketch of Mega Ninjask. It was based off of a Scarab beetle, and to maintain it's speed, it still has aerodynamic qualities and appears in a sprinting position. I will bring updates as they come.

WIP:

I think mega ninjask should have bigger claws or something to show that it's a ground type and to justify brut force (like mega garchomp's axes)
I'm crap at drawing, but the idea is a bit like Agous' design, but more powerfull
Facebook-20140604-110055.jpg

Reactions: Ren
Just a heads-up, I'm not an artist (at all).

The little holes that pour sand out become smokestack-things that create sandstorms, obscuring the vision of foes. Mega-Hippowdon can then slam into foes with its full body weight, with more force than a delivery truck. (It's surrounded by sand, it hits with lots of force. Hence, Sand Force).

The eyespot and the rings on its legs and smokestacks are dark gray, the body is tan on the male and black on the female; what I said on the image isn't quite correct. Just the current Hippowdon color scheme basically.

Attachments

Tried my hand at making a mega Archeops... I'm not an artist so I just kinda threw some scars and spikes onto I think it looks pretty BA XD.

Arhops

Professor Layton's Little Brother
is a Smogon Discord Contributor

made this for Mega Hippodown, the legs are kinda wack tho they're supposed to be like hooves.

edit: clapyourhands pretty much ninja'd my concept :[

View attachment 14543 Eh..all holes are blocked by Super-horns and two big sand holes get made. This makes sense as Sand Stream is now not its ability! (Mega - Hippowdon)
By the way, as concept designs these are fine but to eliminate any possible confusion we're using 2D sprites (most likely unanimated as well unless someone REALLY wants to animate them) such as showdown used before they switched to the 3D sprites.

upload_2014-6-5_5-20-52.png
(A different Mega - Ninjask. I deleted the other one.) It grows a huge branch on it's bottom side. These resemble large blades that still tie into Nature (leaves | Blades). The claws get a little bigger along with a slight change in stance. It grows a more Ninjask look with the solid dirt formed on Ninjask's face to resemble the Ground type. It grows a tail and something pointing out of the head. The tail resembles a Bee (Bug Type). These are simple to remove and can be used for combat skills. :)

This is a cool project, but I want to make it absolutely clear that these sprites will almost certainly never see use on Showdown. Pet Mods are ineligible for Other Metagame of the Month, which means that there's no way that Megas For All will ever end up on the main server, and sprites such as these and additional Pokemon cannot be added onto other servers without being on the main server. Feel free to continue working on this because it's still really neat, but know that the odds of these sprites seeing actual use on PS are almost, if not totally, non-existent.

This is a cool project, but I want to make it absolutely clear that these sprites will almost certainly never see use on Showdown. Pet Mods are ineligible for Other Metagame of the Month, which means that there's no way that Megas For All will ever end up on the main server, and sprites such as these and additional Pokemon cannot be added onto other servers without being on the main server. Feel free to continue working on this because it's still really neat, but know that the odds of these sprites seeing actual use on PS are almost, if not totally, non-existent.
I've seen custom additions to servers before, with sprites and all. A similarly oriented non-smogon project directed by a YTer called the MegaMon Project has added around 30 new megas and some already have sprites

Layell

Alas poor Yorick!
is a Social Media Contributor Alumnusis a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Researcher Alumnusis a Top Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnus
I've seen custom additions to servers before, with sprites and all. A similarly oriented non-smogon project directed by a YTer called the MegaMon Project has added around 30 new megas and some already have sprites
What we are making clear is that this project won't appear on the main server, nor will its support/implementation be guaranteed. I took issue with the intonation that it may appear on main from the original description and while projects like CAP and XY Sprites are supported on main this one will not be. This is also why I reworded sections of the OP.

That said I look forward to see any sprites come out of this.

Sorry in advance for the angle. Didn't expect it to come out that way. Here's my ideas for each.

Ninjask: A more serious design, sleek and angular to minimize air resistance (that's probably not how it works but this is pokemon) and go faster than ever before. Besides that it's the same.

Octillery: I don't know why but I like it.

Hippowdon: In losing Sand Stream as an ability, Hippowdon patches up those holes with armor. This also explains its extra bulk

Archeops: KACAW Unless there's a mistake in the OP, Archeops drops its Rock typing. So it becomes a bird (or pretends to).​

Last edited:

Monte Cristo

Banned deucer.
Just want to clear this up as someone who has a huge amount of experience coding untested stuff on non main servers. I have used a testclient once to set up custom sprites and teambuilder on my own server back before showdown got 3d sprites for my pet mod project, Kalos 2. And I can easily do it again for further confirmation

edit: here's a pic

Just a heads up, design submissions are due by June 10th at 8:00 PM PST. Also, rather than having a period only for spriting, we'll just be moving on directly to the next set of design concepts. Instead of having a sprite submissions period, feel free to create sprites for Megas that already have designs and post them at your leisure; if you are the first person to make a sprite and it looks like you at least bothered to put some effort into it, then we'll probably use it if/when we figure out how to host custom sprites on our mod (unofficial server). If someone's already sprited a Mega you wanted to, go ahead and sprite it anyways; if there are multiple sprite submissions for a single Mega, then that is when we will hold a vote. So after this period is over, voting will open on these four Megas, and design, not sprite, submissions will open for another 4; there is no deadline for sprites, so feel free to create and post them at your own leisure.

MiniArchitect

Detail Disoriented
is a Top Artist Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnus
Since Octillery is based loosely on a tank, I made its Mega form look even more so, to the best of my ability. Four of its tentacles are threaded together to give the impression of long tire treads, and the remaining four have grown tiny cannons for greater attacking power!
Mega_Octillery_Final.png

Also, the extended head is based on that of a squid. Not sure if octopuses and squid are all that closely related, but I felt it worked well with the design :)

Can you prolong the submission period for a bit? My computer died when I was uploading my design, and my backup computer doesn't have a scanner ;-;

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)