Megas For All (Read the whole 1st post and check current slate)

Status
Not open for further replies.

AM

is a Community Leader Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Tiering Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Simulator Moderator Alumnusis a Past WCoP Champion
LCPL Champion
The problem with Physical Greninja is that its physical movepool is full of low power moves compared to its special movepool. It's certainly viable (mostly as a usable lure), but we could boost its attack well above life orb status and give it more defenses. For some reason I feel Greninja and Talonflame would both be nice if we remove speed down to around 100. We have more points and more ways to make it useful
One of greninjas main niche is to be a revenge killer and I think taking that away would make it even less viable. That's just me though.

Well, we give it a reason to be something else instead of Standard Greninja. Like I'm thinking of either a hole puncher or mixed wall breaker. But that's just me.

I'm keeping Greninja's attacking stats the same and giving it armor. Why? Because this is a pokemon with Spikes and Toxic Spikes, with Taunt and U-turn. Protean could make for an excellent defensive ability, and I'd love to give Greninja a new niche as anti-stall.

Fun fact: with Spikes, Toxic Spikes, Taunt, and Shadow Sneak, Greninja can already set up two forms of hazards, Taunt Defoggers, and become immune to Rapid Spin. Throw in a stronger attacking move or U-turn, and it's a magnificent utility mon. It even gets Scald for burns and a speedy Haze to clear status (though it then has to deal with Ice typing). All it needs is bulk, so that's what my mega's getting.

Also, ha, Diggersby is going to be so boring, I don't think anyone (myself included) knows what to do with him besides better stats and keeping Huge Power. Would love to be proven wrong.

EV

Banned deucer.
Also, ha, Diggersby is going to be so boring, I don't think anyone (myself included) knows what to do with him besides better stats and keeping Huge Power. Would love to be proven wrong.
It has the weird fur belt thing going on. Maybe it gets fatter and the fur extends across its whole body, adding bulk. There's also this from the dex: "When it’s finished digging, it lounges lazily." Slack Off? It could be a bulky setup attacker.

The thing with its other abilities is they rely on items. Pickup and Cheek Pouch are incompatible with mega stones. Unless it got a brand new ability--which I don't think it should because Huge Power is such a good niche--it will probably only improve at what it already does.

I'm really not sure what to do with Chesnaught. Its ability should further punish physical attackers (something like Rough Skin or Intimidate).

Greninja could use a change in mentality with a physical attack boost and Skill Link. That way, it could finally use its signature move Water Shuriken to great effect. I might add Icicle Spear as well, but definitely no Rock Blast or Swords Dance.

Diggersby with Parental Bond because rabbits breed a lot (lol). I think I might actually do this; it could be fun.

Heat Seak would be a cool ability for Talonflame, securing guaranteed WoW hits. That could be fun in conjunction with its phenomenal speed and boosted bulk.

Overall, this is a really fun slate and I can't wait to see what we come up with for it.

As someone who did the Greninja entry before and worked with acestriker on it to ultimately scrap it, be careful with the moves you give Greninja. Greninja is already a top-tier Pokemon and a few moves could make it a bit too strong.
That said, I've already written down my ideas for Greninja (and Chesnaught too) and I've given it a few physical moves that help its normal form a bit, but don't make it too powerful (hopefully).
For Chesnaught, I'm going in an offensive direction where Chesnaught stops playing guard and breaks out of its shell. Mega Chesnaught does have a lot of defensive potential though, so I'm interested to see what other people do with that.
I really have no idea what to do with Diggersby and Talonflame though.

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus
Diggersby really should stick with Huge Power, as that's his biggest niche, though a bulkier spread does sound like the best approach here. MAYBE 10-20 points into Attack, but that's as far as I'm willing to take it.

As for Talonflame, we could possibly make it so he's more geared towards using Bulk Up, so extra Special Defense would work. We could possibly dare to venture out of Gale Wings and give him something like Regenerator, or give him Aerialate for a more power oriented approach.

Mega Diggersby might have to be faster rather than bulkier to distinguish itself from Mega Marowak, which is doing the bulky Ground Huge Power thing with 105 Attack and 60/130/105 defenses.

On the subject of Diggersby, keep in mind we have Megas with the same ability: Medicham with base 100 Atk and Mawile with base 105.
Diggersby has only 56 Atk, so it's relatively balanced. And compared to Azumarill, it has worse coverage and lacks Belly Drum.

Last edited:
On the subject of Diggersby, keep in mind we have Megas with the same ability: Medicham with base 100 Atk and Mawile with base 105.
Diggersby has only 56 Atk, so it's relatively balanced. And compared to Azumarill, it has worse coverage and lacks Belly Drum.
The difference is, we can add enough points to make it match up with the others and have it being different otherwise. For example, Mega Diggersby can be more bulky than Mega Medicham and at least more specially bulkier and faster than Mega Mawile. So, they would all have different rules. One of the big differences is that Mega Diggersby (if the winning submission keeps Huge Power) would have a niche with Huge Power Quick Attack

...so it's a tie between option 1 and 2. I'll just leave it for acestriker19 to decide when he returns, if we reach a point where we need the decision and he isn't here yet, I'll just cast my vote (I don't like voting when I'm counting) and do so myself. I'll turn it over to Mew King now to open up submissions.

And let's start! Our current slate is Chesnaught, Greninja, Diggersby, and Talonflame!

Hope you all remember how to do it!

While I'm here, here are my submissions:

Mega Diggersby
Normal/Ground -> Normal/Ground
Pickup/Cheek Pouch/Huge Power -> Huge Power
85/56/77/50/77/78 -> 85/96/97/50/97/98

Don't fix what ain't broke. This submission keeps it simple. Both Mega Mawile and Mega Medicham have about 100 Base Attack with their Double Power antics so I added enough attack to Mega Diggersby to approach it. I then added 20 points to its defenses and speed. Now it might be able to survive some attacks and it can outspeed some stuff. It's not too bad. It's already pretty viable in OU (It's BL right now) so this Mega just patches up some of its rough spots without changing it.

Mega Chesnaught
Grass/Fighting -> Grass/Fighting
Overgrow/Bulletproof -> Bulletproof
88/107/122/74/75/64 -> 88/137/152/74/95/84
Moves: +Superpower

Chesnaught has a GOOD niche in OU right now. It might not be OU but it's certainly usable in it. This tries to add on to its walling powers so it can be OU worthy. I wanted to give it a more powerful fighting move, but to be honest, Close Combat doesn't really make sense with this slow bulky monster. Superpower is definitely good for Chesnaught (though I'd still use Hammer Arm so it doesn't decrease it's main niche). Now it is a better physical wall and it has passable special defense. With Synthesis and Leech Seed, you'll be able to keep it going.

Mega Talonflame
Fire/Flying -> Fire/Flying
Flame Body -> Gale Wings -> Feathery Cushion (Rock Head Clone)
78/81/71/74/69/126 -> 78/121/111/74/109/96

Here's a completely new take for Talonflame. And it's kind of an obvious one considering it gets two recoil moves for STAB. First thing I did was destroy the speed. As my one friend would put it, this Talonflame got fluffy and a lot cuter (as fluffy birds tend to be). To be honest, it lost a bit of power since it can't carry items and it loses a LOT of speed. However, its bulk and its ability really helps it a lot. Instead of being a Choice Band user, Mega Talonflame becomes a Set-Up Sweeper. Remember Bulk Up Talonflame? This set does it MARVOUSLY better with its newly added bulk

Mega Greninja
Water/Dark -> Water/Dark
Torrent/Protean -> Protean
72/95/67/103/71/122 ->72/155/97/103/101/102
Moves: +Ice Punch, +Sucker Punch, +Bullet Punch

Physical Wallbreaker Greninja. To be honest, if you want to make it Protean, you're going to need to reduce the speed to something that won't actually be broken. Protean is what makes Greninja good. I did the Mega Heracross Method of boosts. I gave it +60 attack while decreasing its speed by 20 points. To begin with, this Greninja is a bit of a lure compared to regular Greninja. With now three forms of priority (four if you count Sucker Punch), you can actually make a whole moveset of just priorty. Aside from Sucker Punch, I can't see any real advantages in using physical regular Greninja with these powers, but it's certainly cool as a cucumber with its new moves and new physical power. And it gets a bulk boost so, it can survive something now (Hey, my Greninja survived a +6 Aegislash's Shadow Sneak. Now it can survive it and be able to launch another attack and not kill itself!)

To be honest, Mega Greninja is just my sort of play idea. If you can figure out something better, go for it.

Well, it's certainly been a while. Hopefully I'm not too rusty.
Type: Grass/Fighting -> Grass/Fighting
Ability: Overgrow/Bulletproof -> Thick Roots (Draining attacks deal 1.5x damage and heal 2/3 of damage dealt)
New Moves: Drain Punch, Horn Leech

HP: 88 -> 88
Atk: 107 -> 127 (+20)
Def: 122 -> 148 (+26)
SpA: 74 -> 89 (+15)
SpD: 75 -> 94 (+19)
Spe: 64 -> 84 (+20)

Flavor Concept: Chestnut trees have very thick roots. As exemplified by the item Big Root, draining moves are associate with roots, so its newly created ability allows it to deal+heal extra damage with draining moves. Chesnaught’s new STAB attacks are added to complement its new ability.

Competitive Concept: Pretty self-explanatory. Mega Chesnaught’s cool defensive typing gives it nice resistances to common Rock, Ground, Water, Electric, and Dark moves. It then has solid power with Drain Punch and Horn Leech, which can then be rounded out with any of SD, SE, Spiky Shield, Leech Seed, Synthesis, or Spikes. Grass/Fighting/Rock achieves solid coverage, though it has a slight case of 4MSS. Chesnaught is easily revenged by the common Flying-type priority, but can bork up its common users with a predicted switch or Spiky Shield.
Type: Water/Dark -> Water/Fighting
Ability: Torrent/Protean -> Skill Link
New Moves: Icicle Spear, Arm Thrust

HP: 72 -> 72
Atk: 95 -> 140 (+45)
Def: 67 -> 82 (+15)
SpA: 103 -> 113 (+10)
SpD: 71 -> 91 (+20)
Spe: 122 -> 132 (+10)

Flavor Concept: It’s a fighting ninja, so it gains the Fighting type. Skill Link because ninjas are skilled (and it fits with its signature move Water Shuriken), and then it gets the other two moves to complement the ability. Rock Blast is NOT added because there’s no real flavor for it.

Competitive Concept: Revenge killer with solid power and sweeping potential. Mega Greninja can finally abuse its fantastic priority move and other coverage options. Water Shuriken/Icicle Spear/Arm Thrust/U-Turn provides options for punching holes in the opponent’s team and surprising an incoming special wall hoping to beat out a standard set. Power-Up Punch is its only boosting option, however, so replacing U-Turn with it is justifiable. An important thing to note is that it outspeeds and OHKOs GW Talonflame with Water Shuriken.
Type: Normal/Ground -> Normal/Ground
Ability: Pickup/Cheek Pouch/Huge Power -> Parental Bond
New Moves: None

HP: 85 -> 85
Atk: 56 -> 121 (+65)
Def: 77 -> 92 (+15)
SpA: 50 -> 50
SpD: 77 -> 87 (+10)
Spe: 78 -> 88 (+10)

Flavor Concept: Rabbits breed quickly, so Diggersby manages to produce offspring by the time it Mega Evolves. Its baby helps it battle by dealing additional damage to the opponent.

Competitive Concept: Powerful sweeper with means to dismantle most of its checks with different sets. After a PuP boost, Mega Diggersby can sweep through offensive teams with Quick Attack and break walls with Return/EQ. Wild Charge can be used to beat Skarmory, but is otherwise inferior to other options. However, certain faster Pokemon can stomach a Quick Attack and hastily KO it, so it should be fairly balanced.
Type: Fire/Flying -> Fire/Flying
Ability: Flame Body/Gale Wings -> Heat Seek
New Moves: Fire Spin

HP: 78 -> 78
Atk: 81 -> 81
Def: 71 -> 96 (+25)
SpA: 74 -> 84 (+10)
SpD: 69 -> 124 (+55)
Spe: 126 -> 136 (+10)

Flavor Concept: It’s Fire type and fast, so its Fire attacks will always manage to find their targets.

Competitive Concept: Well THAT role changed. Mega Talonflame can better check its most common switch-ins with vastly improved bulk and an even better speed tier. Heat Seek guarantees that its WoW and Fire Spin will always hit, two moves that can trap and cripple any switch-in. U-Turn can be used following an unfortunate switch to escape danger and bring in a counter. WoW/Fire Spin/Roost/U-Turn provides the best utility, but Brave Bird can be thrown onto a set in the case that it wants to secure an emergency revenge kill.

Last edited:
Mega Chesnaught
Typing: Grass/Fighting ----> Grass/Fighting
Abilities: Overgrow/Bulletproof ----> Iron Barbs
BST: 88/107/122/74/75/64 ----> 88/137/162/74/105/64
New Moves: Slack Off

Come on, it's a hedgehog, of course Iron Barbs is going to fit. Aside from having reliable recovery, Mega Chesnaught's main difference with Ferrothorn is that it got much more weaknesses, including trading the 4x Fire weakness for one from Flying. It also has a greater offensive presence and speed in favor of special bulk, and also has Bulk Up for boosting its Atk and Def.

Mega Greninja
Typing: Water/Dark ----> Water/Dark
Abilities: Torrent/Protean ----> Protean
BST: 72/95/67/103/71/122 ----> 72/145/57/118/86/152
New Moves: Knock Off, Leaf Blade, X-Scissor

While it gets frailer on the physical side, Mega Greninja gains a huge boost in its Atk, allowing it to run a physical set; Its Sp.Atk isn't bad by any means as well, gaining a moderate boost. Most form of priority absolutely ruins it, though.

Mega Talonflame
Typing: Fire/Flying ----> Fire/Flying
Abilities: Flame Body/Gale Wings ----> Awareness (Immunity to Entry Hazard Damage)
BST: 78/81/71/74/69/126 ----> 78/101/101/74/119/126
New Moves: None

Mega Talonflame is more of a pivot, with it being immune to entry hazards it can switch a lot more often, and Will-O-Wisp can cripple many physical attackers when paired up with Talonflame's great 126 speed. As most Rock-types are physical attackers, this can really save Mega Talonflame's life. compensating for the lost of Gale Wings and item slot, its Atk is boosted to 101, letting it hit things harder without boosts. Of course, you can use Bulk Up to further boost its power.

Mega Greninja
Water/Dark
Ability: Torrent/Protean --> Dark Aura
72/95/67/103/71/122 --> 72/135(+40)/67/138(+35)/71/147(+25)
+ Knock Off +Pursuit +Brick Break (Poison Jab if too good on regular Greninja)
This mega plays a distinct role from normal Greninja and works really well as a pursuit trapper, and does not mostly rely on its coverage to do its job. Dark Aura comes as a gift from Kalos legendary Yveltal and powers up Knock Off, Pursuit, and Dark Pulse by 33%. Brick Break is something that should have been on Greninja from the get-go and allows it to beat other Dark types and helps it against Steel types and Chansey as well.

Mega Chesnaught
Grass/Fighting
Ability: Overgrow/Bulletproof --> No Guard
88/107/122/74/75/64 --> 88/157(+50)/122(+0)/94(+20)/75(+0)/94(+30)
+Power Whip +Cross Chop
With this mega, Chesnaught takes a completely offensive stance rather than being a guard of sorts. No Guard Mega Chesnaught is meant to play as a wallbreaker and is capable of breaking down most, if not all walls in the tier. It can run a few different sets: Spiky Shield + 3 Attacks gives it a safe Mega Evolution and allows it to play as a physical wallbreaker with Power Whip, Cross Chop and Stone Edge; 4 Attacks Mega Chesnaught allows it to go mixed and use Focus Blast alongside the 3 previous attacks, which will 2HKO Skamory and many other physical walls; Swords Dance + 3 Attacks allows it to break through walls with brute force alone. No Guard does present issues like 100% accurate Will-o-Wisp, Hurricane and Fire Blast, but Chesnaught's tired of playing defense.

Mega Diggersby
Normal/Ground
Ability: Cheek Pouches/Pickup/Huge Power --> Huge Power
85/56/77/56/77/78 --> 85/96(+40)/87(+10)/66(+10)/87(+10)/108(+30)

Mega Talonflame
Fire/Flying
Ability: Flame Body/Gale Wings --> Moxie
78/81/71/74/69/126 --> 78/111(+30)/91(+20)/94(+20)/89(+20)/136(+10)
Mega Talonflame is a very dangerous late-game sweeper that is balanced by its shallow movepool and only slightly above average Attack stat. Moxie helps Talonflame a ton, allowing it to get an attack boost right after revenge killing something with priority Brave Bird (with the right prediction, of course). Talonflame is still walled by physical walls, Rotom-Wash and Heat, and bulky Rock types that it can't quite break through with Steel Wing, so it's far from broken and needs wallbreaking and Stealth Rock support to sweep.

Last edited:

Valzy

Destroyer of Worlds
is a Contributor Alumnus
Mega Chesnaught
Overgrow/Bulletproof -> Iron Barbs

Atk: 107 -> 167 (+60)
Def: 122 -> 152 (+30)
SpA: 74 -> 74
SpD: 75 -> 104 (+30)
Spe: 64 -> 44 (-20)

Mega Greninja
Water/Dark -> Water/Dark

Atk: 95 -> 100 (+5)
Def: 67 -> 77 (+10)
SpA: 103 -> 168 (+65)
SpD: 71 -> 81 (+10)

Last edited:

Water/Dark ----> Water/Dark

Torrent/Protean ----> Precision

72/95/67/103/71/122 ----> 72/125/77/123/81/152 (--/+30/+10/+20/+10/+30)

New Moves: Whirlpool

Greninja is a ninja, and ninjas need precision when attacking and throwing projectiles, which is why Mega Greninja gets Precision as its ability. Precision boosts several of its moves, including Water Shuriken, Shadow Sneak, Rock Smash, Power-Up Punch, giving it a wide option of Physical moves that it couldn’t use effectively before. Water Shuriken is especially powerful with Precision, having 30 BP per hit and getting priority.

Mega Chesnaught
Overgrow/Bulletproof -> Iron Barbs

Atk: 107 -> 167 (+60)
Def: 122 -> 152 (+30)
SpA: 74 -> 74
SpD: 75 -> 104 (+30)
Spe: 64 -> 44 (-20)

Mega Greninja
Water/Dark -> Water/Dark

Atk: 95 -> 95
Def: 67 -> 77 (+10)
SpA: 103 -> 173 (+70)
SpD: 71 -> 81 (+10)
Don't you think that Greninja might be a little bit too powerful?

Valzy

Destroyer of Worlds
is a Contributor Alumnus
Don't you think that Greninja might be a little bit too powerful?
It's slightly faster, slightly more powerful and slightly more bulky than LO Greninja. Not exactly sure what's so bad about that. At least I'm not turning Greninja into a Physical/Mixed Attacker that'll probably be worse than LO Greninja.

It's slightly faster, slightly more powerful and slightly more bulky than LO Greninja. Not exactly sure what's so bad about that. At least I'm not turning Greninja into a Physical/Mixed Attacker that'll probably be worse than LO Greninja.
I wouldn't say that +70 Sp. Atk is slightly more powerful than Greninja (+35 SpA gets Greninja a bit above Life Orb) It suffers the Mega Scizor syndrome in that it outclasses normal Greninja in every way, not to mention that it would be outright broken (Greninja is already an A+ threat in OU and borderline S).

Valmanway

My jimmies remain unrustled
is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Mega Chesnaught

Grass / Fighting ----> Grass / Fighting
Overgrow / Bulletproof ----> Tough Claws
88 / 107 / 122 / 74 / 75 / 64 (530) ----> 88 / 137 (+30) / 152 (+30) / 74 / 105 (+30) / 74 (+10) (630)
New Moves: Drain Punch

Mega Chesnaught becomes one mean tank. With amazing 88 / 152 / 105 defenses, it becomes very difficult to wear him down without the use of special attacks, and having a meaty 137 base Attack to throw around combined with Tough Claws definitely makes him a powerhouse. Drain Punch is added to keep offensive and defensive pressure up, as it becomes a 97.5 base power STAB attack factoring in Tough Claws that heals Mega Chesnaught. The remaining 10 points go to Speed for balancing purposes.

Valzy

Destroyer of Worlds
is a Contributor Alumnus
I wouldn't say that +70 Sp. Atk is slightly more powerful than Greninja (+35 SpA gets Greninja a bit above Life Orb) It suffers the Mega Scizor syndrome in that it outclasses normal Greninja in every way, not to mention that it would be outright broken (Greninja is already an A+ threat in OU and borderline S).
Do your math again, Greninja with 138 SpA is weaker than standard Greninja with a LO. 173 SpA is only about 12% stronger than LO Greninja. But if you guys are going to keep bitching about it, then fine, I'll change it ffs.

Btw, there's nothing wrong with a Mega outclassing its standard form, otherwise there would be no reason to use the Mega when you can use your Mega Stone for a better purpose. Mega Scizor being better than Scizor is not a bad thing.

I changed my Greninja mega and added descriptions for the rest.
Do your math again, Greninja with 138 SpA is weaker than standard Greninja with a LO. 173 SpA is only about 12% stronger than LO Greninja. But if you guys are going to keep bitching about it, then fine, I'll change it ffs.

Btw, there's nothing wrong with a Mega outclassing its standard form, otherwise there would be no reason to use the Mega when you can use your Mega Stone for a better purpose. Mega Scizor being better than Scizor is not a bad thing.
Not personally attacking the Mega, just look at the #7 rule in the OP. Acestriker often commented about Megas that directly outclass their predecessors throughout the thread and, in his absence, someone had to say something. This is a community project and we just want the best for each Mega and the metagame so we can all have fun in the end. Sorry about the miscalc btw.

Mega Chesnaught
Type: Grass/Fighting
Ability: Overgrow/Bulletproof -> Entrenchment (+1 Defense when Speed is lowered)
New Moves: N/A
HP: 88
Attack: 107 -> 137 (+30)
Defense: 122 -> 147 (+25)
Special Attack: 74 -> 84 (+10)
Special Defense: 75 -> 100 (+25)
Speed: 64 -> 74 (+10)

Losing Leftovers makes recovering health from Leech Seed/Spiky Shield less impressive, so this Mega Chesnaught is built to be a huge tank (in both design and battle - imagine its shell looking like a spiky version of one of those war machines da Vinci designed). When it uses Hammer Arm for +1 Defense, nothing short of Choice Band Brave Birds/Mega Pinsir is taking it down from the physical side, and 88/100 on the special side is no slouch either. In fact, it could even lure something like CB Talonflame with a defensive set that uses Curse for +2 Defense per use and take it out with Stone Edge:
252+ Atk Choice Band Talonflame Brave Bird vs. +2 252 HP / 252+ Def Chesnaught: 264-312 (69.4 - 82.1%)

Mega Talonflame
Type: Fire/Flying
Ability: Flame Body/Gale Wings -> Reckless
New Moves: N/A
HP: 78
Attack: 80 -> 110 (+30)
Defense: 74 -> 94 (+20)
Special Attack: 74 -> 94 (+20)
Special Defense: 69 -> 89 (+20)
Speed: 126 -> 136 (+10)

Mega Talonflame's Flare Blitz/Brave Bird hit about as hard as they would coming from CB Talonflame, but it can switch moves while also geting a bit faster and bulkier. The cost to all of that is the sweet, sweet priority. In essence, several Scarfers/priority users become better Talonflame checks than they once were, but that's only after your opponent's figured out Talonflame's your Mega. One of those Megas that's pretty awesome but comes at the teambuilding cost of potentially using your Mega slot on something else while still being able to use good old normal Talonflame.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Users Who Are Viewing This Thread (Users: 1, Guests: 0)