1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Melodrama in a fish tank- NOW WITH 100% LEGAL FISH REPRODUCTION

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by Morm, Sep 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morm

Morm

My newts are air breathers, they can make shit happen.

Who said anything about Ferdinand dying? I found that shed, complete, hanging from the plants and rescued it in tact. Yay! He has all his limbs again! He's been scleritizing all night, fuck he's big now!
  2. Morm

Morm

So today was a bit auspicious. I woke up and checked on the tank to find out that Bowagrius' girlfriend's toe had been stripped to the bone...it was VERY fresh. The whole foot is inflammed- so I did what any man would do. I amputated.

I removed 2/3 of the affected toe and am thinking of going all out and removing the foot if any infection sets in. They are surprisingly docile to handle for a pissed off species.
  3. Stylish Interval

Stylish Interval

Any pictures? This is a pretty interesting thing. I wish I had friends into this kind of stuff (and not just into standard stuff like video games). What did you amputate with? Like a tool that you had or did you improvise?
  4. Morm

Morm

I just used some scissors. I didn't think to photograph or video it, I was on my way out the door when I noticed it. I will post pics if an infection sets in or as it grows, if my camera can handle such tiny things.
  5. WaterBomb

WaterBomb because exploding camels wasn't enough
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Battle Server Moderator

Sounds like some rough makeup sex gone horribly wrong
  6. Morm

Morm

SUCK ON MY TOES, BITCH

Yes, noble BBW, I will...

OKay, asshole, I know you don't have cheeks or a throat capable of sucking but TRY for fucks sake

SNAP

OKAY jesus fuck I didn't say bite INTO one, I said suck...are you masticating with your eyeballs? Man this shits gonna get infected

:/ if I remove the hand, it WILL be filmed.
  7. sandman

sandman Bum bum bum bum
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnus

My tank is full of drama. The angel fish are always fighting amongst each other who gets to have sex with who, the kuli loaches and pleco are always having turf disputes over driftwood, and the shrimp are fighting over the best bubble catching spots. For angels I have one koi, a leopard/black, silverpearlscale super veil tail, and a marble veil tail angel. The Marble and leopard are a pair and i'm still hoping that the koi and silver will pair.

[​IMG]
    This is an old pic with a crappy camera of my aquarium when i was having algae problems.
    Stocking
    6 Black Neon Tetras
    7 Cardinal Tetras
    2 Black Tetra
    4 Angel Fish
    2 Bamboo Shrimp
    4 Kuhli Loaches
    1 Bristlenose Pleco
    Some Trumpet snails and Ramshorn Snails

[​IMG]
    This is ole Smokey and my marble veil tale female spawning on the leaf in the corner about a month and a half later after the first pic.

[​IMG]
    In this pic you can see one of the bamboo shrimp, some cardinals, and the koi angel fish. Normaly the koi beats on the other two females and would gladly have his way with them if Smokey wasn't constantly handing him whoopings everyday.I don't have a camera working now but i wish i could show you one of the black tetras who i took from a friend's brother because he didn't want his fish anymore. His name is carl the unkillable fish. He's survived in ammonia levels that would be unsafe for people to drink, learned how to fast meals because the brother would literally just feed them once a week and pour the whole food container in the tank each time. He now has a swim bladder problem and can only swim sideways but he's still hangin in there. When i first got him he was always trying to school with the black neon tetras but they were afraid of him so he would always hang in the corner of the tank looking at his two reflections and i felt so bad i got him a mate so they could school but boy do they fight, only when they get scared do they huddle up together in harmony.
  8. tape

tape i woke up in a new bugatti
    is a Pre-Contributor

This thread is pretty good lol it reminds me of the fossil one (which was pretty hype to me too)

keep it up :> newt drama
  9. Morm

Morm

Sandman: bamboo shrimp representing' Ferdinand would be pleased indeed. Some back stories on those angels would be fun, I used to have a khuli and it got its ass kicked by a Yo yo Loach that liked to lay sideways on a bubbler BJ style. :/

Phantasia: that thread was fucking awesome. Glad to see you around man!
  10. Morm

Morm

So some treats for you all.

Bow's GF's surgery pic, the ONLY one that turned out...guess which toe is fucked up (and still is, looking like the hand needs to be cut off :():

[​IMG]

(OMG a Pachytriton on land not by choice!!)

[​IMG]

ITP Bowagrius with his regular meal AND what appears to be one of the vampire shrimp, the larger of the two (FUCK)
    what a fat piece of shit glutton
    OR we could call him dominant male whatever

TREAT

TREAT X 2

Lets all discuss the magic of hand feeding a creature that is exceptionally violent that could be killed by a straw
  11. Morm

Morm

Lots going on in Jefferson High.

Firstly I will answer MD's question that I somehow overlooked.

It cannot be sexual dimorphism to that extent. Sexual dimorphism in the Malacostraca is mostly prevalent (especially in the pincers) in the Brachyura (Crabs). That said, Atya gabonensis or its blue twin will come up later in this post. Heinrich is so different from that it's not even funny and Ferdinand lacks the retardedly large front walking legs, also it has a great many other things different.

In trademark style for me, I made a gutsy call- I didn't amputate the female (now known as Casiopia). I put her in isolation, filter free, for about a week and gave 2-3 times the max dose of anti bacterials. I didn't even refrigerate her cage. Sure enough, and by doing exactly what I was told not to, she made a full recovery and now holds the second largest territory in the tank. I'm impressed with myself on this one, I basically cured advanced gangrene with anti bacterials alone.

Meanwhile!

Bowagrius took a massive beating from Otto, who has decided this is his territory. Bowagrius, even after several weeks on the mend, still has a swollen front left limb that he won't put weight on (he's under water...derp?). I was forced to put him back in the tank and remove Otto because...well...Otto was doing shit like rapid death rolls after grabbing poor little Sigourney mid swim, or trying to rip Casiopia in half. I decided to let Bowagrius have his revenge, but Otto terrorized the former dominant male...so he was removed right then and there. Sigourney still doesn't have a territory despite decimating populations of fish I put in for feeders. She's clearly a leaner, faster species of Pachytriton and that means she doesn't stand her ground which means others chase her to the island at the top (will post with cage renovations later)

There are now 3 mystery snails going to town on the tanks algal bloom, despite having their appendages ravaged primarily by Casiopia. Ferdinand has a reddish tint and a pronounced white line down his back now and Heinrich continues to do hit and runs during food time. There is now a shrimp, about 2.5X the size of Ferdinand, in town. He has impressive filter feeding front limbs and his front walking legs are fucking huge. His name is muscles and when I post a pic, you're going to understand why. He's a BADASS...except that he's a fucking coward. He might jab with his legs, but he'd prefer to FLEE and hide in the shadows like a little pansy. He is from the genus Atya. Heinrich is like 4 times smaller and rolls out hard as fuck every single day...did I mention he's a skinny little spitfuck (W. Harrelson, 2009)?

I put in a Tiretrack snail, complete with operculum (cover) to the aperture (opening of shell) so when it pulled in it was safe. That lasted about a day or so, before Casiopia forced it open and ripped the snail apart. I have no idea how she did it as the retractor muscles on those guys are pretty intense.

Oh and I got white Platyhelminthes in my tank...tiny little flatworms that clean up debris and uneaten food, probably hitchhiked on a snail. Cool, cept that if they run out of food they will attack everything else in the tank. Keeping them in check is easy- let them explode in population, wipe them off the glass and watch the 3 shrimp commit genocide. It's lovely. I also saw at least one small white 'inch-worm' dude, but haven't seen one since, I think he was a one-of and rather bad at life.

Oh and apologies to Phantasia for getting banned and the interruption, I told you we have the technology to fix it.

References

W. Harrelson, 2009. Zombieland. Columbia Pictures.
  12. Stylish Interval

Stylish Interval

Ahhh, I can't wait for pictures haha. Read through that twice just to imagine it in my head twice lol. This is just too cool!
  13. Chubbs

Chubbs

Epic, I think that this might be my all-time favourite thread on smogon.
  14. Chou Toshio

Chou Toshio @Fighting Necktie
    is an Artist Alumnusis a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

Oh, you're back :P coolz
  15. Morm

Morm

OKay so lots to report.

I am faced with a problem in this here tank. Either I risk underfeeding and have them go aggressive on each other for sustenance or I overfeed slightly. I select to overfeed slightly, which means the flatworms explode in population like pricks. They aren't dangerous til food runs out and, since I know a thing or two about how they operate, I know that shrimp are their worst nightmare. So, I got a larger version of Ferdinand today:

[​IMG]

Speaking of Shrimp, MD (or whoever) see if you can figure out what the fuck species (or genus) Heinrich here is:

[​IMG]

Here is the tank as it is now, with all four newts, 3 snails, 4 species of shrimp. There are no deer antlers as they developed fungus (as Chou suggested) and currently 2 goldfish feeders.

[​IMG]

Points if you can spot everything going on in this picture, it's wild.

Two of the goldfish died and were eaten before I could get a photo of EVERYTHING, though I did get an interesting photo of someone taking advantage of one of the downed fish...and a video of the action.

THE HUNT

[​IMG]

Heinrich pickin up the pieces

Things will be interesting as they carve out new territories, bicker and fight. Hell, even Ferdinand attacked the larger new flower shrimp, forcing him out of the good spots. I hope to get some newt on newt combat for you guys, it's SO violent.
  16. VKCA

VKCA (Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)

17. Morm

Morm

Yeah this can be like that at time, just on a MUCH smaller scale. The newts heads are smaller than the end of your thumb, after all.

I can't believe that mouse was still swimming after being ripped in half. Jesus.
  18. tape

tape i woke up in a new bugatti
    is a Pre-Contributor

wow that mouse is hardcore as fucking hell that's like a motivational or something
  19. Chubbs

Chubbs

That mouse must be properly hardcore.
  20. Xav

Xav

Fuck yeah, your back!!! Most favouritest thread on Smogon has returned.

Holy crap that mouse is fucking strongth, swimming after being ripped in half.
  21. Morm

Morm

So I did some cruel experiments.

I took a robust mystery snail and poked a hole in the living chamber through the shell, assuming it would use the mantle and lay down stress shell so I could at least observe this first hand for some research I'm doing on mollusks. The fucker went and DIED. :(

So now I kinda want names for my snails- there is no precedent at all for their naming...there is a blue one, a yellowish white one (Albino) and a brown one. GO.

Also we are down to one feeder fish- everyones favorite protagonist, Sigourney, hasn't snagged one yet. She killed at least two, but had the kills stolen as she loses interest in a kill once it is stolen. Looks like Bowagrius, SOMEHOW, fit 2 goldfish in his gut. How they get one in there is a mystery...nevermind two. Fucker can barely even swim to the surface. It's a constant uphill battle for Sigourney to eat, she's like the anorexic in high school who just started anorexia so she still has a rockin body and no brain/bone damage. Also I think she's the same species as Otto, but she is also getting egg spots/stripes. NO CONFIRMED stringer things coming from her crotch, so we can't be sure. I keep having to hand feed her, but last time Casiopia fucking BIT me. It didn't hurt...but it kind felt weird after. Maybe I now have some form of blood toxicity other than the usual alcohol.

Meanwhile, the new shrimp (also in need of a name) is getting attacked by ferdinand on the regular. I think he wants some play and that she is rejecting him, as no male EVER rejects a female so he must be male and she must be female. I feel I've justified that enough and if anyone says otherwise I'll make up some science or something and revert back to the 'data'.

I'm kind of rooting for this goldfish, sickly as it may be...it's pretty and cute. We need a name for this golden delight quickly, so I can start pulling for it or even feeding it. I have 11 baby goldfish still living that I saved from the Sigourney Genocide of May, so I don't need another one...but I don't wanna risk their lives so in goes the feeders.

I really wanna get Heinrich some friends, he's the only one of his kind- all the other shrimp are filter feeders, he's a spindly little moron. His friend got eaten alive though, so I'd have to buy like 5 and see what shakes out- next time I see some like him, shits gonna get EXTRA real.

:D
  22. whistle

whistle
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon IRC SOp Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a Past SPL Winner

this is an excellent thread, thanks for all the effort youve put into it! i actually really like the sardonic tone you use. unfortunately i'm pretty shit at names so i'm gonna abstain on that...

btw if you have more adventures i really like the pictures/videos you take on them - nothing like a trip in the motherfucking rocky mountains to put my adventures in the foothills of the midwest to shame.
  23. Lanturn314

Lanturn314

Why not name the new shrimp Isabella? Like King Ferdinand and Queen Isabella of Spain when Columbus was about to set sail? ^_^
  24. Morm

Morm

Whistle: Thanks for the compliments and effort recognition, I do spend some time ad libbing but I also do have to make a coherent post based on actual observation and imposed personalities. Glad to know that my narcissism is still appreciated after my hiatus.

Lanturnie: Deal done, Isabella is her name. It's like their love was the new world he ended up discovering.
  25. WaterBomb

WaterBomb because exploding camels wasn't enough
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Battle Server Moderator

Names...

Blue snail - Wulf
    Albino snail - Rufus
    Brown snail - Giorgianna

And for the intrepid golden survivor...Arthur (Art for short) or Piki if it's a girl

That poor mouse...only the good die young
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)