1. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.
  2. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!

Melodrama in a fish tank- NOW WITH 100% LEGAL FISH REPRODUCTION

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by Morm, Sep 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morm

Morm

I have no idea what gender this goldfish might be, lets make it a gender neutral hero.

Giorgianna? This isn't like greek hooker tank man
  2. Chubbs

Chubbs

I have better names for the snails, here goes:

Albino: Vanilla

Blue: Blueberry

Brown: Chocolate

Each named after their flavour, according to the French.
  3. Morm

Morm

Blueberry was the name of my blue tongue skink, I don't like to repeat myself.

I could just be awesome and name them like Maul, Plagus and Malak. After Sith lords, don'tcha know!
  4. Arcticblast

Arcticblast Great Sage x Cathy is my OTP
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Community Contributoris a Tiering Contributoris a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a SPL Winner
    Other Metas Leader

You had a blue-tongue skink? Dang, I envy you.

I like these new stories.
  5. mixmaster.mewthree

mixmaster.mewthree

This thread is pretty cool

I always had an interest in salamanders and newts when I was younger, for about a year I was obsessed with them and read like four books on them!! They seem like they'd be an interesting pet, especially in such a huge aquarium like you have
  6. WaterBomb

WaterBomb because exploding camels wasn't enough
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Battle Server Moderator

Fine then, name her Beffy.
  7. Morm

Morm

it's only a 33 gallon, it's overcrowded.

The wayward goldfish, after taking serious tail damage sometime in the night, has disappeared. I dunno who tagged it, but it's gone. That plot was RUINED by the voracious and ultimately jerky nature of these animals.

Beffy is like an old hooker name man, what is your deal with hooker names?

Arcticblast, I've had 5 species of skink, a frilled dragon, 3 or 4 of gecko, 2 of newt, 4 of frog (at least), a snake and some other shit like cockroaches. I also bred skinks and geckos, trying on these newts but I need a chiller and that would kill the shrimps
  8. WaterBomb

Why is everything an old hooker name to you? Try Wilhelm or Monty then if you don't like my other choices :(
  9. Morm

Morm

Okay so I decided to make a post just about the developing shrimp dynamic. As you know, they represent a 50% ethnic mix within the school. While they may all not be from the same country, I certainly won't split hairs between two members of the same genus.

There are currently 4 shrimp in the tank- three filter feeders and one scavenging one.
    Here is the current set up. Biggest change is the floating platform being weighed down and anchored with wool (they love the wool, it's creepy).

[​IMG]

Here is Muscles in an area he can be found in lots. He often shares the cave with Bowagrius or Casiopia. The newt in the picture is Bowagrius, out patrolling his turf.

[​IMG]

Heinrich loves hangin out on the bone, especially this lumber vertebra from a deer. He is a hard motherfucker to photograph, he's transparent and small.

[​IMG]

Ferdinand (the smaller one with the brighter stripe) is still obsessed with Isabella. They have annexed this small area next to the driftwood as it gets the best flow on the bottom for filtering shit out.

[​IMG]

Muscles coming into the area I call "Shrimptown", which is actually in a territory that Otto and Casiopia often fight over. Otto on the floating platform a lot and sigourney is on stress leave since the last feeding. Speaking of which, I counted 25 death rolls all in less than 5 seconds as Bowagrius tried to rip the arm off of Casiopia. It was fucking intense, no wonder Sigourney is everyones bitch. I keep trying to film it but it happens so fast there's not a lot I can do!

[​IMG]

Jesus it's like an all you can eat chinese buffet in this area! Even Heinrich makes his rounds in this area, but this is filter feeder turf. Now it seems like Ferdinand and Isabella are like gang leaders or something with Muscles coming in to join them, even though he's like the cowardly giant kid that nobody messes with cause he's fucking built.

Heinrich is SUCH a black sheep, even to the shrimp. He had a friend but that friend got eaten alive, whole. I should get some more Heinrichs, see if they have a gang war with the filter feeders.

[​IMG]
  10. WaterBomb

It would help us old, retarded people (read: me) if you somehow denoted the things you were referring to in each picture with, like, circles or something. Half the time I have no idea what you are talking about. Or maybe if you took pictures of each organism and posted them with their name next to it as a sort of "glossary". That would help me at least. Keep up the posts though I enjoy them. I still can't stop thinking about that poor mouse :(
  11. vcordie

vcordie

Whats that weird blue thing in the 4th picture?
  12. Morm

Morm

The weird blue thing is a snail.

Waterbomb, this post is pretty simple- the focus of the pics is basically the shrimp. When I say "This is Heinrich", that's exactly what is in the picture.

edit: the empty snail shell in the picture is actually the fallout from an experiment I did. I poked a small hole in the living chamber to see if it would repair. Instead of repair, the newts smelled the distress and literally ripped the snail from its shell and violently tore it apart. They have done that to two snails so far, it's hideous. Some of them they keep attacking til the snail starves to death or weakens, then they rip it out operculum (cover to the apperture aka opening) and all. Savage.
  13. Lanturn314

Lanturn314

Did you actually name your snails yet??

How about Moe, Larry, and Curly?? Unless you know that one or more of them is female, in which case it wouldn't work lol

Edit: Just realized you already named them. Sorry!!! Naming them after Sith Lords was an awesome idea, though :)
  14. WaterBomb

KB - I know what the focus is SUPPOSED to be, but my eyes are terrible so sometimes I can't really see where the mentioned animal is. Just a suggestion, you don't have to make it COMPLETELY waterbomb retard friendly.
  15. Morm

Morm

I'll do that in my next posts, giant red arrows and circles. :D
  16. WaterBomb

Thank you, my lower IQ and eyesight are pleased to hear that =P
  17. tape-type

tape-type

I like where this is going. I was kinda having problems sometimes telling a creature from scenery before lol
  18. Morm

Morm

Give me an example. You do realize that the captions for the pics are ABOVE them, right? I'm simply not seeing it guys, the critters are as plain as day to me! Help me to understand your plight
  19. tape-type

tape-type

too lazy to go pages back sorry mormy
  20. Morm

Morm

most times when I read this threads title I read "Melodaruma in a fish tank". Daruma seems mello to me, you know?

Go back pages, SHOW ME WHAT YOU MEAN or I will discount the whole thing and continue doing what I do
  21. WaterBomb

No wonder, the captions are ABOVE the pictures, not below them. It all makes sense now! For some reason they seem much clearer today than yesterday. Carry on, my wayward son.

EDIT: Muscles reminds me of the Mist Creatures that Kuja spawned in FFIX
  22. Morm

Morm

I know I've been neglectful of this thread lately, I'm sorry.

I've been spurred to action. Sigourney is still in the hospital tank til either someone drops to the constant turf war in the tank or she stops being anxious about everything. Well...Bowagrius made a SERIOUS move. He went after Casiopia, grabbing her front right leg and death rolling (like a crocodile) 20+ times in under 10 seconds. Cassie got away with her leg but she has lost the territory for now. She is favoring it, like Bowagrius once did with his leg (it bought him a spot in the hospital tank if we recall). I wold worry, BUT THEY LIVE IN A WEIGHT REDUCED MEDIUM, THANKFULLY FOR THE BOYS LOOKING AT THE GIRLS AM I RIGHT?

10 minutes later, Cassie went into her old territory. The shrimp, seemingly knowing, SCATTERED. ALL FOUR OF THEM. Even the snail in the area moved away as best he could without a ballast move, which he probably couldn't do anyways on short notice. Bowagrius took immediate notice. He moved on her, fast hop-walking on the substrate. She froze, arched her back, shit was getting EXTRA real.

Now is a great time to put the kids to the bed, a good time to get snack and expect explosions and probably Wesley Snipes, a vampire or both WHILE the sun comes up

Cassie kept arching her back while fanning pherimones. You could tell she was ready to roll out, but Bowagrius passively smelled her injured leg. Over and over he nudged it, consistently sucking in water with his buccal pump system, which is how they move things into their mouth. He moved, moving her with his nose. She did everything she can: NOT MOVE and posture.

In a flash he had what looked like her injured arm and she had his midsection, both using flail and both trying to literally kill each other. He wanted her arm, she wanted to stop it. OVER AND OVER at high speed they swung, I moved to intercept with a dental pick...but neither let go. They kept at it, even when the death rolling was over, at a bite d├ętente (accent added for Vineon effect).

In another instant, the fight was on again. I think a facekick was involved. I'm not sure, soon Cassie was swimming away with lacerations and Bowagrius was newt strutting. Every living thing in the tank worthy of note fled to Ottos territory or Sigourneys island, higher up...

within 5 minutes, life had returned to the tank. As per typical style, Bowagrius moved back to his territory and Cassie back to hers. I would love to live a life in the day of these newts, if only to understand why Otto didn't make his move again (and fuck up Bow) or why THEY SWTICHED TERRITORIES AFTER THE BEST NEWT FIGHT IN WEEKS.

GAH, what a night, I had my camera kind of ready but also it ran out of batteries and I was adequately distracted. Sorry!
  23. Morm

Morm

So today I got paid handsomely to:

[​IMG]

Hung out with a priceless wedgwood vase valued at 10 thousand dollars for insurance purposes. It wasn't behind a barrier of any sort- when we moved it, I honestly felt like we needed a bag of sand to counterbalance the alarm mechanism and prevent the boulder from flying towards us. Luckily, I used the right amount of sand.

[​IMG]
    moved thousands of dollars of ammonites and some nice corals as well. Some of them weigh more than an extremely obese 6 year old.

[​IMG]
    See look corals

[​IMG]
    Smaller ammonites, ammolite included. Some SERIOUS skrill sitting on that blanket

[​IMG]
    This happens to be a rock hammer, with original wood handle, from 1860's or earlier. NOT A BIG DEAL, but I honestly freaked out when I was allowed to hold it. This is as close to the only man I consider worthy of herodom, Gideon Mantell, as I will ever ever ever get. One of the best moments of my life...and I was paid to do it!

[​IMG]
    OH HEY GLYPTODONT. Giant Armadillo can't step to this expression!

[​IMG]
    Check out all the skeletons I get to curate! Also some taxidermy mounts. Woooo!

[​IMG]
    Yeah, the show "Friends" was right- Paleontologists DO have Capuchin monkeys as friends. This one, however, was dead about 20-30 years before I was born...kind of appropriate, given my fond love of bones.

NEXT STEP: Dropping this stuff off in the back rooms of museums around Alberta! :D

PS sorry for any crappy picture quality, camera phones aren't exactly professional

Edit:

Also since my other job is basically babysitting, I had to do "negative space" art today. So, I spent the whole time ignoring the children and made this:

[​IMG]

For Lanturn314. Maaaaan sometimes I think my life is too easy
  24. tape-type

tape-type

the best part of that post was the drawing imo

maybe
  25. Engineer Pikachu

Engineer Pikachu Good morning, you bastards!
    is a Contributor to Smogon

I approve.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)