1. Welcome to Smogon! Check out the Smogon Starters Hangout for everything you need to know about starting out in the community. Don't forget to introduce yourself in the Introduction and Hangout Thread, too!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Melodrama in a fish tank- NOW WITH 100% LEGAL FISH REPRODUCTION

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by Morm, Sep 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morm

Morm

are you guys saying my Lanturn was really good or are you saying my post was really bad?
    I can't tell the difference
  2. Morm

Morm

So I was at work again today...

[​IMG]

Zoonomia. Not a huge deal, an old book by Erasmus Darwin, Darwin's Grandfather. I'm registrar for it!

[​IMG]

I also held a first American edition of "Descent of Man" by Charles Darwin...and I'm the registrar for it. I'll get some pics of it next week I think. A few other goodies in there, I think, but most are convincing replicas.

[​IMG]

My beloved 1800's rock hammer, so close to Gideon...so close. Sigh. I held it again today. It is so majestic with its original handle and amazing condition head- you could use it today and boy would I if I was allowed.

[​IMG]

Merychippus

[​IMG]

Eohippus, which means 'Dawn Horse', is the JUNIOR synonym for this. FUCK. Someone named a bad specimen Hyracotherium which means "Hyrax beast"...not even CLOSE to describing it nevermind. Damn nomenclature rules.

[​IMG]
    My cat sleeping after I did some dental work on him. He is snuggled between my legs, so very happy that I took away some inflamed tissue on his tooth.

[​IMG]
    Japanese house bat!
    Pipistrellus abramus, sadly, not a mormoopid but a vespertilionid.

[​IMG]
    Beetles, insects HOORAY!

[​IMG]
    One of my tables, including the Portland Vase in that crate. Excellent. Also models of fetuses and some brachiopods and petrified wood.

Good day I think, I also got to play with skeletons galore! I'm in heaven I think.
  3. WaterBomb

WaterBomb because exploding camels wasn't enough
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Battle Server Moderator

that bat skeleton looks WAY cooler than an actual bat would. Also cute kitty, I wish I could do dental work on mine. She would probably be like "nigga please"
  4. Chubbs

Chubbs

Are those beetles real or fake?
  5. tape

tape i woke up in a new bugatti
    is a Pre-Contributor

Your cat is super cute and I want to rub its belly :3
  6. Morm

Morm

Those beetles are real.
    My cat is super cute and everyone wants to rub his pot belly.
    Bat Skeletons are fucked up, this one was missing a key element cause it's too small- the baculum. PENIS BONE!
  7. Chubbs

Chubbs

Bats have penis bones?

I thought that those were reserved for ducks and elephants and other big shit.
  8. Morm

Morm

9. WaterBomb

Makes me think of "Dadaluma" from FFVI

Also grats to me on becoming the last person on the planet to figure out that you are actually mormoopid.
  10. tape

tape i woke up in a new bugatti
    is a Pre-Contributor

it's ok, I JUST realized he changed his name back. I did notice the new avatar though
  11. Eraddd

Eraddd One Pixel
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

Morm are you doing paleontology as a major in university? Or is this all on your spare time? Either way, it's pretty amazing.
  12. Morm

Morm

I have a degree from uni. I have a double major in Earth Science (all paleontology and strat/sed credits) and biology (all comparative anatomy and entomology). I didn't do the formal degree as botany is the retarded older brother of zoology that nobody invites to the party but we all know we have to either for guilt or because mom says we have to.

I worked as a consultant for about a year before the layoff, which was bullshit. I now do paleo consulting when there is work and I do interpretive guiding when there isn't.
  13. Morm

Morm

I feel it essential to help with the kickoff with this new forum merge, that I personally feel I will THRIVE in, to give you lovely people an update about newts, for once. I want to remind you all that comments, questions or ANYTHING make this less of a masturbatory blog (which I already have one of) and into an interactive thread with someone who, to be quite immodest, knows more about the natural world that you do. SO PLEASE...ANYTHING!!!

So...on to newts! No pics, sorry!

So Sigourney was relegated to the hospital tank a few weeks ago. She was just getting her shit RUINED. I now suspect her of being either a small male or, more likely, a small male of a different species still receptive to the pheromones fanned by the other newts for dominance. She consistently does the wrong thing in that she runs when she shouldn't and gets attacked when she should stand her ground. She is relegated to the shallowest part, or "bitch island" on a consistent basis...so she was removed for stress leave.

Well, she's back. Once again, I do what I'm not supposed to, and I didn't reorganize the tank to make EVERYONE fight...just her. She's moved from a night of pure combat (poor girl) to bitch island. NOW she's constantly wedged between the filter arm and the tank, which is actually a better spot than bitch island in status, maybe not comfort.

Otto has a FIRM dominance, as always, of the middle of the road island. Casiopia, weirdly, was evicted to bitch island before Sigourney came back. Bowagrious has dominion over the ENTIRE ground area, even with physical barrier. Somehow, a newt touches the ground and it's not him and he goes apeshit.

Mitigating this has been a nightmare for everyone except the snails.

We should all be rooting for Sigourney in her drive to get a territory. She's the smallest, the original and the cutest. She also kills fish like a fucking MACHINE....at least a 2:1 ratio to the next best one, Otto. Shrimptown, meanwhile, has even heinrich throwing down. I'm going to get more Heinrich style scavenger shrimp on the scene soon enough, to keep the flatworms at bat even more. I can't rid myself of them, so I might as well make life difficult for them.

As usual, I am endeavoring for a good night of pictures and videos to show you guys. I promise, they ARE coming!

This coming Monday I am going to a world class museum to drop off specimens. I will take photos as best I can, when allowed. :D
  14. Morm

Morm

Bigtime action at Jefferson High tonight!

[​IMG]

Sigourney OUT OF THE WATER. She is on Bitch Island here, but has been forced to the ultimate bitch part as Otto and Bowagrius evict them from their territories with gusto. Sigourney needs to learn how to fight back or stand her damn ground (though, she has the fewest battle scars so she's still pretty!) You can see Casiopia hanging out in Sigourneys usual refugia in the background. :(

[​IMG]

She actually made a run at the camera though, I guess I pissed her off!

[​IMG]

Here she is, doing an erotic display at the beach. It's like fuckin' Jersey Shore up in here! Fuck I LOOOVE how these newts look. You can really see why they call them Pachytriton labiatus, look at those big
    blowjob...er...SMOOCHING lips!

Shit is getting extra real with the fighting. I have my camera ON like 3 hours per day at least so that if a fight breaks out I can film it. I'm trying guys! I'll get it eventually!

Here's some more above shots, for fun:

[​IMG]

Bowagrious basically OWNS the entire floor of the tank. What a fucker.

[​IMG]

I bought a floating platform to mitigate fighting. It worked, but now I need ANOTHER ONE just to appease their appetite for territory. They are like little real estate moguls or something. Fuckin Otto doesn't share either.

[​IMG]

Here you can see Ferdiand and Isabella is actually tucked between the log and the rock here, in shrimp town...the ethnic slum of the tank!
  15. Lanturn314

Lanturn314

Sooo just out of curiosity (and this is probably a stupid question that I could just google but I'm lazy), what are the mating rituals of newts like? Do the males do anything more sophisticated than just fighting each other off to attract female attention? What exactly does a female newt find sexy? Or a male newt, for that matter? lol
  16. Morm

Morm

Each caudate is different. Usually there is some sort of posturing or dacing, these ones fan pheromones with their tails. I'll try to get a video of it, it's how they communicate everything from dominance to sex.

Once the female has been wooed, the male lays down a spermatophore (package of sperm) and the female sits on it. VIOLA. Each spermatophore is shaped to fit the female of the specific species, you can actually ID species based on it (Though some salamander complexes really fuck with the rules so yeah).

Not as fun as mammalian sex but at least the female still gets to sit on a package.
  17. Lanturn314

Lanturn314

Doesn't sound like much fun for the males, but whatevs.

Is there generally a lot of competition for females? And if so, what factors other than pheromones do females consider when deciding between mates?
  18. Morm

Morm

Size, size, size. Larger males intimidate, especially in this species, so most fights are over before they begin. If the large male does get a hold of a smaller newt, shit is gonna get REAL.

Females in this species take cues from size, which relates to territory, which relates to pheromone quality. A male will spam pheromones like CRAZY to assert dominance and that brings all the girls to the yard. Males of appropriate size and health produce better smelling pheromones I'd think, as they get weird stringy dangly things coming out of their cloaca. Probably some fairly healthy competition, just like any other species really.

Females get kicked around a lot in this tank, I imagine it would be the same in the wild. Males appear to be extremely selective on who they will let in their territory and they are not opposed to removing limbs- infact, that's where Bowagrious goes after the most.
  19. Lanturn314

Lanturn314

On that note, it seems weird that males would try so hard to keep females out of their territory. I could see keeping males out, but wouldn't they want to keep the females around as much as possible so they'd have the highest chance of mating with them? The only reason I could think that fighting females out of their territory would make sense is if the females could only mate at certain times... so do female newts go through reproductive cycles?? I'm guessing yes, especially since in nature, it would probably be more favorable for them to mate in warmer months when food is available and not as much energy needs to be expended on pure survival, but i don't really know much about newts specifically (obviously lol). And if they do, then how long are these cycles-- are they year long like most birds, or are they like mammals in that the cycles are more frequent? I know that rats' cycles last four days...
  20. Morm

Morm

They come from fast moving, low nutrient streams. Competition is fierce for resources, so unless you have them in excess you aren't gonna be breeding. Also some of them are just total assholes. They prioritize food/territory first, then females.

They actually prefer to mate when it's closer to 63-65F in the water, as opposed to warmer, BTW. Caudates are strange- colder temperatures actually AID their immune system, kind of like a reverse fever. You cool your body so the bacteria/whatever are uncomfortable but their immune system appears to remain intact and fully functional for the cooldown.

I don't think the cycles matter all that much, if there is a pattern it more likely would relate to increased productivity in their territory, which can hypothetically happen at any time.
  21. Lanturn314

Lanturn314

So, based on the temperature ranges, that's a bit too warm to be during the winter unless they live in a very warm climate. 63-65F seems more like early spring. So in the wild, does that roughly translate into them reproducing in a yearly fashion? Or is their climate warmer than what I'm thinking?

That actually kinda makes sense since they're ectotherms... they'd have to evolve ways to keep bacteria at bay even during colder times. Is this true for most cold-blooded animals, then, or am I off the mark?
  22. Morm

Morm

the answer to pretty much all your questions is: I don't know.

I can tell you that lizards and snakes crash when temps are too low. These guys are from cold mountain streams in china, they are cold lovers, me keeping them at 20c (70F) is far from perfect as about 75F may well kill them in prolonged exposure scenarios.
  23. WaterBomb

I would love to see a fight between Bowagrius and Otto to see who is truly more bad ass. Who do you think would win Morm?
  24. Morm

Morm

It depends on who was the aggressor. Otto has done some serious damage to Bowagrious before, but Otto is clearly scared of him for a reason.

I dunno man, it'd be a tough call.
  25. Chubbs

Chubbs

You call 20 C cold? That's summer in England. I would be happy if it was 20 degrees at some point, unfortunately the weather forecast goes something like this: "Cloud, cloud, snow, rain, rain, rain, hail, cloud and more rain with highs of 8 degrees." I think that those newts would freeze to death here.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)