1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Melodrama in a fish tank- NOW WITH 100% LEGAL FISH REPRODUCTION

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by Morm, Sep 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Morm

Morm

It's currently -23C here, it usually hits -40C a few times per winter. My personal best was making it to university when it was -53C.

Bitch England weather can't step to Canada.
  2. Chubbs

Chubbs

However, England has a higher proportion of hilarious inbred chavs than Canada. SO SUCK ON THAT.
  3. Morm

Morm

yeah I used cold to describe their water because honestly like 15-17C is pretty cold for animals not from Canada or Siberia. Considering they are amphibians, not fish, it makes it pretty difficult to survive in much colder...but they THRIVE in coldness!
  4. Chubbs

Chubbs

You could do some testing to find out about their favourite temperatures, I suppose. When they get hurt you could time how long it takes for each of them to heal in water of a certain temperature and try to find an optimal temperature for them to heal at, which should be the one they like the most.
  5. Morm

Morm

Not needed, Pachytriton temps are well known.

You ONLY refridgerate them (literally) when they are healing.
  6. WaterBomb

WaterBomb because exploding camels wasn't enough
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Battle Server Moderator

British water is quite cold but the temperature range is not as extreme as one might think. Yes the high temperature in the middle of summer is like 70F, but the low temperature in the dead of winter rarely drops below 25F, give or take. I was born and raised in Scotland, and the brilliant part about the constant cloud cover of the British Isles is the insulation. You really have to get further north to the Orkneys and Shetlands to reach those more bitter cold temperature ranges and more significant snows. I only remember it snowing like twice in the 8 years I spent there.
  7. Chubbs

Chubbs

Lol. We had some fucking terrible snow last year. Stopped planes and shit. For like a month. It was ranging in depth from about 5 inches in some very lucky places to around 2 foot in Scotland, they are actually still clearing it up in Scotland too. The more terrifying thing is that there were lighthouses that had several inches of sea frozen onto them, and that took about -18C. And up in Scotland there was this small town that recorded lows of -34C according to the Met Office. And in summer a couple of years ago up north(ish) it hit 37/8C iirc. What I conclude from this: England = fucked up.
  8. WaterBomb

Yikes, good thing I moved to the states like 18 years ago then XD
  9. Chubbs

Chubbs

Yeah, it is pretty messed up. The only thing I can think of that is more fucked up is when the River Thames froze over in the 1500's (I think it was around then, iirc Henry VII. I think it happened more than once too, as there were fairs held on it in the end, according to my history textbooks, anyway).
  10. Morm

Morm

For anyone interested in details of the species:

check it
  11. Morm

Morm

Skip to the bottom for a link of a newt fight. It's short, I'll get a better one when risk for injury is lower.

So busy night. Sigourney displayed some interest fishing behavior that, with morphology, makes me think she is a different species. Sigourney also let me hand feed her some live fish which was rad. Sigourney also has lacerations on the base of her tail.

[​IMG]

Hanging off of bitch island, waiting for some prey.

[​IMG]

Still waiting!

Ferdinand and Isabella have fought CONSTANTLY for the best spot in shrimp town, like a slap fight or something it's really funny and totally benign and stupid as there are so many good filtering spots! I will keep trying to get a video!

ALSO...I promised it, and I finally got a second of it. A newt fight. However, the potential for injury on this one was so great I had to break it up at the end when the body part in question was being SWALLOWED by the attacking newt. This is the least violent in speed and power, but take a look for yourself, it's easily the scariest I've seen. Sorry I didn't keep the camera ON the fight, I HAD to break it up before Sigourney died (fuckin' Casiopia). Watch it a few times to really see what is going on, it's horrific.

Here it is!
  12. Xav

Xav

Shit. That is cool, too bad it didn't go on for longer. How are the shrimps?
  13. Morm

Morm

They are all living, learning and loving. Cept for Ferdi and Issie, they are dickholes to each other. I was gone for like 4 days and they are still fighting over the same spot...which is apparently NOT identical to the one 2 cm lateral to it.

my finds in Victoria, BC, from one afternoon at Ogden Point:
    [​IMG]
    Graceful Kelp Crab (Pugettia gracilis)

[​IMG]
    Holy fuck, modern Brachiopod- and it's a big one! I've wanted to snag one of these for like 5-6 years. Top score!

[​IMG]
    Just a cool sponge bored (Cliona?) and tubewormed mussel.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

I knew this was a juvenile marine mammal the second I picked it up. Using mounted skeletons of a sea lion and a harbor porpoise in the Royal BC Museum, I determined that this is from a young pinninped, likely a harbor seal. I also ID'd the crab, from memory, at the Royal BC gallery museum. Go me!

more pics and stories later, I'm fuckin tired so just the findings for now I guess :D.
  14. tape-type

tape-type

That newt was totally owning the other newt.

edit: damn Morm you almost get my 1000th post
  15. Morm

Morm

Hey just wondering if semi-murdering a small goldfish with being out of the water for like 20 mins and being in cold water is a normal thing for you guys?

How about filleting it and ONCE THE GUTS ARE REMOVED realizing for sure that it's still alive?

How about taking its head off, still alive, throwing the head out and then cutting it crudely into 6 pieces, while the newts can smell the blood, so you can feed them?

What about if your smallest newt ends up with the largest peice and then you have to give her newt Heimlich?

Normal day, right?

I feel horrible but this was a feeder goldfish I bought intentionally to be too large for the newts- so it could LIVE! I even bought Hornwort so it could feed on that and its shit would help it. Too bad it decided to eat the snails and be a jerkoff to the newts. At least I gave it a chance, one that normal feeders (99.99%) don't get...before I butchered it savagely. Poor guy.
  16. WaterBomb

Who is this Hornwort and when did he enter the picture? I don't recall you mentioning a new character and/or something eating the snails?
  17. Morm

Morm

Hornwort is a type of plant. Goldfish was put in to help keep it trimmed down and also to see if the newts would catch and eat a goldfish too big to eat. Instead it decided to try to kill the snails repeatedly and harass the newts all the time. What a prick! So, in order to regain normalcy, I had to kill goldfish. Instead of letting him go to waste, I cut him up and all the newts got a piece and the shrimp got the shrapnel!
  18. WaterBomb

I would love to have seen a video of how exactly a goldfish harasses a newt...
  19. Morm

Morm

nipping at their tail and feet, mostly. Not very exciting. It was a fairly large one compared to what they usually tackle, so it did have some power behind it. It mostly was killed because it harassed the snails who are crucial to keeping the tank free(ish) of algae.
  20. Morm

Morm

Enter three new shrimp and three new mystery snails. Pictures incoming, when things have settled. I'm sure Lanturn will let you all know how devastated I was to learn that I couldn't get Vampire Crab. I need some more whisker shrimp, I'd buy like 10 of them (and like 3 would live), to pick clean the bottom of planarians and garbage. However, pet stores here consider them too aggressive and cry like babies about aggression...yet they stalk Crayfish, Bichers, Arrowanae and other such treats.

Anyways, these Vampire Crab...I love them! Semi aggressive and small enough in body/claw size at MAX that my newts wouldn't care for a pinch but it wouldn't harm anything but the Hornwort (my growing forest). They are also too big and armored to eat and not mean enough to attack unless attacked first. Turns out this crab, as most stalked in freshwater aquaria, breathe air. So WHAT they need some land? They need some brine? They need.....water about half as deep as my tank and they can't swim. There is ZERO chance I could have them, even with all my scheming of a net firmly attached to the back wall like some coast guard survivor net or driftwood breaching the surface or something (ANYTHING!!), these guys drown easy- yes, crab drowning easy. So I will settle for my tank featuring crocodiles with Caudate upgrade.

I will now let you share in my devastation for not being able to throw these down:

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Feel free to console me, I've been pining for at least 6 hours. Also console yourselves, Crab have some exceptionally eccentric behaviors. They have a habit of tearing food or plants apart just because they can, getting into random crab fights or getting visually upset about food that is in their sole possession. I don't know why they get upset, perhaps they are upset about the prospect of it leaving?? Anxiety? BEING A CRAB?? Either way it makes for some top rate melodrama.

In the meantime, there are actually now 6 mystery snails to be named and 3 additional shrimp to be named (would appreciate foreign or ridiculous names for them)(also foreign means spanish or whatever).

Pics coming, I'm gonna hold out for one where all 7 shrimp (5 flower/wood [Ferdinand and Isabella], 1 Vampire Shrimp [Muscles] and 1 Whisker Shrimp [Heinrich]) are throwing down in close proximity! I've noticed the flower/wood (man fuck common names) shrimp fight ALL the time- they smack each other with their side legs and not their delicate front appendages, it's like a sideways slap fight over territory to "stand there with your fan-like front limbs open". Yeah, it's how they feed, but JESUS 1 CM isn't going to matter when you're not even in the fucking path of the output of the fucking filter!

I should also let you know that Sigourney is making a solid move- her time has been spent less and less on bitch island and Bowagrius doesn't attack her anymore. In fact, the pair are often seen cavorting around, with Sigourney attacking Casiopia regularly, the newt that did that horrible attack I filmed!! Turns out being the skinniest female available may mean something to this species, a strange juxtaposition with our own. Meanwhile Otto is still there, but not really don't much but existing. No girls are gonna be sitting on HIS sperm plug! If I got a chiller, everything but the newts and maybe snails would die...but it's needed to prompt mating behavior. FUCK of only an open bar would suffice with this species.
  21. Chill

Chill

I was having such a great time reading this thread until I reached that gif with the mouse.

Holy shit.
  22. Morm

Morm

I think everyone in this thread needs to stop sucking that mouses dick and focus on what really matters in this thread: the fundamentals
  23. Xav

Xav

I have to say I am fucking disappointed that you aren't going to be getting any vampire crabs. Those look so cool, with the purple and the badassness and the eyes that pierce the soul. Who ever heard of crabs that drown, that is kinda gay. Anyway, good to hear news of new arrivals in the future and an update of the unfolding drama.
  24. Brammi

Brammi

Get the crabs anyway and build them a nice ramp around the tank so they can get back up.
  25. Morm

Morm

The crabs wouldn't last 48 hours, sadly, it's WAY too deep. They are noobs, sadly, and this is a pro tank- remember, noobs like goldfish get filleted alive.

Also their eyes DO pierce...like crazy. Especially in person. They command me. SO fucking GREAT especially when they BICKER!

BUT! NEW DRAMA AHOY! Ferdinand and Isabella fight ALL the time- and I just got three more of that species. They will likely flip out, have slap fights and get super dramatic and maybe rip legs off of one another over spots that actually aren't even all that good for filter feeding. They honestly will see one in a spot that isn't great (or even in the path of water flow) setting up shop and move in laterally and have sideways slap fights. I CAN'T WAIT for the new three, who are all bigger than Ferdinand (as is Isabella), to flip out and rage...and for muscles to HOPEFULLY hulk out. Seriously, the ethnic slum of this tank just got reverse-daruma moded!

Why were my first two, Sigourney and Ferdiand, observedly smaller and not growing? Do I draft "bitches"? What am I, the Edmonton Oilers?
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)