1. New to the forums? Check out our Mentorship Program!
    Our mentors will answer your questions and help you become a part of the community!
  2. Welcome to Smogon Forums! Please take a minute to read the rules.

Melodrama in a fish tank- NOW WITH 100% LEGAL FISH REPRODUCTION

Discussion in 'Smogon's Greatest Hits' started by Morm, Sep 23, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Brammi

Brammi

It can't be that pro.
    No Komodo.
  2. Morm

Morm

I had a placental skink give birth to a 2 headed baby...WITH heads at 90 degree angles (breach of the century)...and she gave birth to the last child after that- it was stillborn, but BIG, so she MANAGED okay.
    I had a female frilled dragon that went on to be one of the only reliable breeders in Canada after I raised her...fed by an army of cockroaches. She attacked my cat (he is a pussy and ran).
    I kept a gecko alive despite her bullshit MBD induced by hyperparathyroid 4 months (or so) past when she should have expired.
    I diagnosed a gecko with an exotic spider bite to the face ON SIGHT and was only confirmed later when it bled out its urogenital sinus, had tongue paralysis so bad its tongue fell out of its mouth and dried, had seizures, had eye paralysis...and they doubted me because the chelicerae holes swelled shut. Morons....I also later found the spider, not native to Alberta I have no idea how it got there and didn't kill me.
    I have picked up bikini clad hotties with a tortoise named Henry on the premise that "he is absurdly cute selecting which dandelion he wants to eat" and then baton passed to a 24 year old virgin roommate despite being on the rebound.

Off the top of my head this is pro and we didn't even touch the things I'm formally trained in.
  3. Neptune

Neptune

Two headed?! Did you get a pic?
  4. Morm

Morm

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  5. Destiny Warrior

Destiny Warrior also known as Darkwing_Duck
    is a Smogon Media Contributor Alumnus

To be overly pedantic to the point of being annoying, the angle is acute.

But on a more related note, that looks freaky. Morm how do you manage such a fish tank ? It would take all the time I had to keep track of so many animals
  6. WaterBomb

WaterBomb because exploding camels wasn't enough
    is a Forum Moderatoris a Battle Server Moderator

SHRIMP AND SNAIL NAMING PARTY! (foreign names ahoy):

Moreaid
    Vladimir
    Tojimoto
    Dadaluma
    Angus
    Shivani
    Pho
    Alethia
    Rosinski
    Carlito(a)
    Maximillian

Pick from above, I can submit more if you like. I mixed some girl and boy names in there but I suppose it doesn't really matter.
  7. Lanturn314

Lanturn314

Well, for the Shrimp, why not stick to naming them after Spanish monarchs ?

Alfonso, Amadeo, Philip, Sancho, Francisco Franco (lol), or Juan
  8. WaterBomb

Sancho makes me think of Santeria by Sublime. Not that that's a bad thing, mind you. I kind of like the overall theme of monarchs/other political figures (since that's where Otto von Bismarck came from as well).
  9. Morm

Morm

The central axis of both heads is close to 90. Tanks are easy to manage really, they kind of take care of themselves. I can ID all of them from a quick glance!

I'll get back to you two on the names, I have to see the shrimp out before I name any of them!
  10. Chubbs

Chubbs

Right, you need to name one of the new arrivals either Pedro or Sanchez, they could be like some illegal mexican immigrants or some shit.
  11. Morm

Morm

I've seen this mentioned now more than a few times and think it's worthy of a necro.

Speaking of necros, Casiopia is now missing...for the last 4 days. I'd bet she had less than 24 hours outside of water before death, but who knows what biological surprises they have. This species, unlike some other warty newts, can't climb class. She must have had appropriate speed and trajectory to hit the tiniest gap next to the filter in order to escape. I searched all over...she's gone. I doubt my cat got her, but she's gone. She almost died while I was banned- a japanese mossy snail snapped shut on her when she went for a feeding. Her face was caught and I only noticed it because Bowagrius attacked her for no reason on the tail. I extracted her, but she was hurt.

Second biggest on the block and bitch couldn't step to the swagga. Thankfully it's not bowagrius- when I got back from my trip to the USA he had an infection. Leading up to her disappearance, she exhibited extreme stress because Sigourney made a solid move. Thankfully Bowagrius is still around, because Otto is a Dickforge and abuses everything from shrimp to not shrimp.

One snail remains...kind of. One mystery snail has survived, dickhead eats my grass and ruins my balls. I have 2 baby snails, the jap mystery snails had some babies and 3 survived, but I gave one away to my brothers girlfriend.

I am still waiting to see how politics will evolve in this new 3 newt tank, but it looks like Otto is stressed way more, Sigourney has the bitch island place and Bowagrius has annexed the WHOLE bottom. How that makes sense, I'm not sure- the socially weakest dies so the socially strongest annexes the tank from the abusive male??? Also sigourney is a bitch.

Filming newt fights is a real whore, I'm trying, but the jerks stop their death rolls when I try to film.

All the shrimp are still going, Heinrich, Muscles, Isabella, Ferdinand and the 3 others like Ferdie and Isa. Waterbomb remind me of their names, I am so forgetful of what you called them on FB. It's my ethnic majority, now, it seems. I'm trying to get a decent quality shrimp horizontal slap fight for you all, we'll see what pans out.

also I'll get pics later of the new tank orientation.
  12. VKCA

VKCA (Virtual Circus Kareoky Act)

This is brutal.
    Unrelated:
    I'm glad you bumped this thread
  13. Chubbs

Chubbs

Happy that you finally bumped this, I thought you had given up on it.
  14. Morm

Morm

[​IMG]

Sorry I couldn't get a better pic, I've had an influx of snail deaths and the algae bloomed.

So you can see the larger island is now floating (may have been used to help Casiopia escape). Live plants going everywhere and bitch island was lowered- you can see Sigourney up there. I removed some rocks and put moss on the log, which serves as shrimp town aka ethnic slum
  15. WaterBomb

I believe I suggested the name Reynaud, plus a whole host of other names a few posts up from here (it's on this page). If I suggested any other names on FB there's no record of them, just Reynaud XD
  16. Morm

Morm

Reynaud definitely is still alive, he's cryptic as hell. I can't remember if they emerge after 2 or 1 years, so I might end up with him getting much bigger or, soon, I might have a pet mayfly!

I must warn you all that this thread is going in a different direction as of right now.

So my dad's fish are spawning again. AFTER a 50% water clean, check this out:

[​IMG]

The water, overnight, turned into milky white with all the damn sperm from three males. The orange one losing its colors is the GIANT female, my hand is for scale but it's deceptive, she's bigger than she looks. For scale, that is a 29 gallon tank (I know, my dad way overstocks but we have two filters and I'm here...so yay!)

Last year, I noticed some babies in the tank after I had sigourney in there.

[​IMG]

This it he year old babies, with 3 of the smaller adults (we have 7 adults) all ready to go into my dads 500 gallon (or so) pond. We had about 200 babies and ended with about 15, but the newts took 2 of them (when I thought they wouldn't...) and some were given to my brothers girlfriend. So now we just have these ones.

[​IMG]

This year, on a recently dead snail, I found eggs...and they were EVERYWHERE. I removed about 2000 in 10 minutes, maybe more, and I'll hit it again tomorrow.

[​IMG]

I extracted them by violently shaking the gravel in the suction cleaner thing and pouring the water through this net. This is one of 4 loads I took out, each with 500+ eggs (one of them was double this size). With a ~7-10% survival rate, shit is gonna get REAL with all the damn fish we have. I'll try my best to get pics and update you guys on the progress, I expect them to hatch in about 2 weeks but I haven't ever tracked it before so we'll see.

:D Another adventure begins for me!!!
  17. Energy Storm

Energy Storm

Wow, all this makes my tank seem pretty pathetic, except that time when the male krib (appropriately named Fin Laden) committed ichthyocide to about half the tank. :>

Is your snail (the one with eggs) an apple snail?
  18. Morm

Morm

He was a "Japanese mossy snail", a variety of trapdoor. There are two of it's babies in my newt tank, doing amazingly, right now.

I'd LOVE to see a picture of a krib that big, especially with something for scale, I fucking love their colors....I had one til it wrecked a tropical tank I had years ago.

Man any tank can be exceptional if you just take the time to observe personalities and interactions, I have mine beside my computer. I want to REALLY encourage you to post your stuff and tell us all about it. If my newts can be interesting, so can your krib, especially feeding videos or if you're morbid enough to chuck a small comet or guppy in there with it!
  19. gookie

gookie Adominnustrata
    is a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnus

my dad used to rear koi, but alas, when we moved house about 85% of the died from the shock (i think? it certainly wasn't the water), they were getting really nice and big too =(. We had a few remaining survivors but now we're just giving them away, sigh.

Also, fin laden is a great name.

Keep posting more updates about the fish spawn, it's fascinating.
  20. Morm

Morm

Fin Laden is the new name for the Lyretail goldfish that my dad has! Thank poppy, you're great.

We found that koi die like wusses every time they are brought in from the pond. Large comets or some types of pond goldfish do better.

The babies are so small, they photograph worse than the orange eggs...they disappear on the background. I'll do everything in my power, maybe when I get inevitable deaths I'll put the bodes on the white counter and photograph?

Either way, I think I did okay this last year completely shooting from the hip on what to do to get some GORGEOUS babies (especially that one that's white in the front half and gorgeous orange in the back WITH a lyretail ahhhh!)
  21. Chubbs

Chubbs

I know that this is probably not going to be the right thread, but I need some help with a snake, and seeing as Morm is in this thread quite a bit and he seems to be the best person here for this type of stuff I thought that I might as well ask here.

I have a Californian King Snake, and have done for some time now, but recently when it shed one of the eyes didn't shed properly and now most of its eye has been obscured by it, and I was wondering what could cause this and how I can remove the piece of skin or weather I should wait for it to shed again? Also could this lead to any more serious problems or infections if it is left untreated?

The snake is fairly old btw, and I don't know the exact age because we got it off one of my Mum's friends when they had a baby. It's also female btw, not that I expect that to make much difference.
  22. Energy Storm

Energy Storm

So this was the tank a few months ago before it grew into a jungle (stupid Cabomba getting tangled everywhere).

[​IMG]

I did a bit of research and decided it would be neat to breed a pair of dwarf cichlids in the community tank, since people have had success with that. That was the Krib pair back then (male on the left).

[​IMG]

Then they spawned and the male started to wreck shit in the tank so I had to unfortunately sell him to the fish store. He claimed 50 gallons of the tank as his and left a little 5 gallon area next to the filter for the rest of the fish and killed anyone who tried to cross the border (except the kuhli loaches because they would hide in every little crack of the driftwood and he couldn't find them).

I spent 2 hours trying to catch him (he was very good at hiding) and after tearing the tank apart I managed to quarantine him into Fishcatraz, which was a little guppy breeder net. He stayed there for 2-3 days before I got rid of him.

So I absolutely advise against anyone trying to breed kribs in a community tank unless you have a 75 gallon+ tank with an extremely wide base.

Either way I was really dumb back then and added 7 cardinals to my tank. 2 got nom'ed during the first hour. Then I had to drop the rest in the 10 gallon betta tank, and the betta has amazingly completely ignored them, and still is.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Here's Mrs. Fin Laden by the way, I still have her.

[​IMG]
  23. Morm

Morm

Chubbs: don't touch his eye. Give him a bath! See if it comes off, let him do some swimming but don't take it off. I've seen that before, sometimes the scale over their eye goes cloudy and stays that way :/

that is a gorgeous krib. I've found male bettas only give a shit about other male bettas, they do fairly well in community tanks! Cardinals are really pretty too. I once had a Kuhli loach, I didn't like it as much as the Yo Yo loach. You might be able to get away with some of the more aggressive carp, most of them are named "shark" in the pet stores (though bala sharks are not). They are aggressive and fast. I've seen roseline sharks do decent with kribs before as well!
  24. Arcticblast

Arcticblast I run with the wolves of the wicked
    is a Tiering Contributoris a Forum Moderator Alumnusis a Community Contributor Alumnusis a Battle Server Moderator Alumnusis a SPL Winner
    Mentor

I still love this thread.

I'll post a picture of mine eventually (tiny little 10-gallon thing) but right now it's empty of... stuff. I took out the rocks and whatnot to clean them.

Also, how does overstocking an aquarium affect the fish themselves? My four fish and a snail get somewhat bored.
  25. Morm

Morm

Overstocking can cause ammonia spikes and ammonia burns, as well as stunted/deformed growth, shorter lifespans, increased stress and they basically swim in their own shit.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Users Viewing Thread (Users: 0, Guests: 0)